Indescribable, Indestructible, Insatiable (IC)

Fox

"But mindless predator...?" mumbles Supercape, progressively less sure about what he was doing.

Nonetheless, another blast of gamma radiation suffused the giant blob.

"...if they are intelligent, perhaps misunderstood...what are we going to do with them? kill them? is that genocide? if only we could understand them..."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaking his head, Gaian Knight swept some debris into action even as Supercape's radioactive attack seemed to well and truly disorient the bigger blob, whose shadow had taken a 'step' back and was looking extremely lost and lethargic. "Not planning to kill them," the hero noted, even as he swept his small rocky projectiles into the smaller blob, "just stop them from hurting anybody. And hopefully from eating each other. Honestly, I'd just cage them in rock if I thought it'd do anything useful...I tried that with the little ones before they ran over here, and all they did was flow or eat through. I guess hopefully we can just knock them out."

"Well they can soak up enough Gamma radiation to power a city..." replied Supercape as yet another stream of energy bathed the larger creature. "I don't think accidentally killing them will be a problem... although one can never be certain. We are dealing with something fundamentally Indescribable, Indestructible..."

The large Blob gobbled up an abandoned car.

"And apparently Insatiable!"

It may have been capable of soaking up such large amounts of radiation, but doing so didn't seem to be very healthy - if the blob had been humanoid it would have been punch-drunk, unsteady even with such a large mass to support it. The creature just looked hurt, like a wounded predator still trying to defeat its prey before it falls. Barely shrugging off the most recent of the radioactive blasts, the amorphous green threat pushed its way out of the dust cloud...and oriented not on the heroes, but on the last remaining mini-blob, and the quiet, disoriented noises it was making. With all the speed it could muster, the large and voracious turned and struggled its way in that direction, still absorbing everything in its way....

"Son of a...." Gaian Knight watched the enemy change direction, and found himself with a bit of a quandary. On the one hand, letting the big guy eat the little one would make life a lot simpler...on the other, if Supercape was right and they were smarter than they seemed, it was basically standing by while murder happened. The earlier ones couldn't have been prevented, but this one.... Argh. "Argh. Alright, fine...."

He swept out a hand, and the earth under the hungry...thing...twitched, raining spikes and earthen projectiles straight up into his target. After all the radioactive abuse the thing had taken, this was apparently the last straw, and it shuddered, collapsed, and...almost imploded, shedding most of its mass as the rest slurped away into the watermelon-sized porous rock that started it all. Two trees and a half-digested car, along with a large green stain on the ground, were the only other things it left behind.

SUpercape slowly descended to the mess below him, his senses scanning the remains of the blob - and its debris. For one thing, he had no idea if it was still alive, regenerating, or anything else. Its physiology was almost unknown. Secondly, the thing had absorbed enough gamma radiation to poison a small city - and the last thing he wanted was radioactive fallout in the city.

"That's put a stop to it" he called out to his comrade. "Whatever it was...It looks harmless enough now..."

The last remaining blob seemed to shake itself free of the earth-inflicted disorientation; as its bigger semi-ally collapsed, it reared up, made an angry-sounding screech, and oriented on the first target it saw: the descending Supercape. Though not as big as its fallen sibling, the blobette was still plenty big enough to grab a nearby slab of concrete and whip it at the hero like an over-sized discus as it moved to close the distance.

"Ouch" shouted Supercape, as he spun with the force of the blow. The concrete cracked and disintegrated as it smashed against the quantum force field surrounding the caped hero, but the direct impact was enough to blast dust over him and hurt.

"I confess, I am loosing my temper somewhat!" he said, with a scowl and bared teeth, as the junior blob erupted in another blast of gamma radiation.

"You'd think it'd be grateful," Gaian Knight grimaced as shards of rock gathered behind his shoulders. "We probably saved it from getting eaten, and all. I guess gratitude isn't too high up the priority list for strange blob monsters...."

The gathered projectiles hurled themselves at the blob like a rain of arrows, stopping it in its tracks and leaving it looking more than a little worse for wear. "Some scientist is going to have a field day studying the amount of abuse these things can take."

"They could certainly come in handy for any nuclear meltdowns..." replied Supercape as another blistering burst of gamma radiation enveloped the smaller creature. "There is hardly any trace of radioactivity left in the larger organism. Their metabolism must be quite extraordinary. "

Although the danger looked over, he still smarted and remembered the force the things could exerted. His quantum force field did not waver and he continued to float away from his smaller adversary.

The last remaining blobette seemed determined to reinforce Supercape's point, and weathered the gamma blast as its larger companion had: without apparent harm, but with some distress.

"Yeah," Gaian Knight grimly commented, gathering an arsenal of rocks in hopes of ending the fight before anything else got thrown, "I can see your point. Though you'd have to keep the things from eating the reactors...."

The amorphous creature was hesitating, shifting its mass as if looking at the rock containing its much more powerful sibling, and then up to Supercape, and then over to Gaian Knight and his readied attack, and then back to the start of the cycle. It made a shuddering, grumping noise as it apparently decided it was injured enough for one day and didn't like the present odds; its green body receded back into the rock at its core, disappearing from view as it voluntarily returned to dormancy.

Supercape floated down to the core and gave it a prod with his boot before peering at it closely. His quantum force field did not waver for one moment.

"Regenerating? Hibernating?" he pondered. "What do you think? Its dangerous... is there anyway we can determine where it came from... and if there are more?"

"I...don't know," Gaian Knight admitted, bringing his rock a little closer to the ground. Some dirt and stone pulled itself together into a long, thin pole, which moved through the air to carefully prod each of the two porous space rocks in turn. "I...guess they're hibernating? I can't feel anything moving in there. Still...."

Nearby debris pulled together around the two sleeping blobs' homes, wrapping around them until they became large, smooth spheres nearly three times as thick as they'd started, and almost seamless. I guess I have to leave some spots for holes - at least it'd slow 'em down? "I guess this is the kind of thing we really ought to hand over to the authorities. I don't know about you, but I'm not really equipped to jail giant, acidic eating machines from space. Maybe the people who usually deal with the aftermath of this sort of thing will have better ideas."

• 2 weeks later...

Very slowly, carefully, people were starting to peek from the sides of windows and doorways, out from behind or under cover. The more people noticed it seemed safe, the more word spread and the more people peeked out to see if it was indeed safe; over the course of a few minutes, as Gaian Knight and Supercape floated over the battle-damaged lawn with its green stains and paths rendered unrecognizable, quite the crowd gathered around the edge of the battlefield to murmur to themselves.

Nothing moved, however...or at least nothing threatening. As sirens finally broke out in the distance someone in the crowd was inspired to cheer and like in all crowds, the feeling spread. Though no one wanted to step foot toward the dormant blob-containing rocks everyone wanted to clap or voice their approval, offering up their gratitude to the heroes who'd saved them and their school (and, one noted listening to the individual people, got at least two classes out of a brutal test). Only the custodians didn't look thrilled, but by their posture they were grudgingly admitting that the blobs would have done far worse damage on their own.

"Do excuse me a moment" said Supercape, as he wrapped his shimmering cape over the meteor.

"Stand back, citizens!" he said, in a loud voice and with a held hand, as he concentrated. Pretty much any rock would do, preferably something would a good food supply (just rock, as far as he could see) and with nothing living on it.

And preferably far away. Real far away.

Around him, the dimensions of time and space curled and disorted, like an elastic band, and after a few seconds, he vanished...

...reappearing again a few moments later, with ice crystals covering his costume, and a swishing cape that concealed no rock.

"There we go. Andromeda galaxy. Some nasty cold rock with an unpleasantly high gravity and not so much as a microbe of life. I hope it will be happy there. "