A Hero's Quickening (OOC)

Cubist

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go with that, but for future reference, paste the link to invisible castle in OOC! :D

I did -- check my post which starts Okay, that's a roll of "1D20 + relevant modifiers" and look at the paragraph beginning with Jube will go for the DC of 20, in which you'll find a link whose visible text is 1d20=8. Hopefully I did it right...

Right, onto your first fight!

The youths are terrorists (anarchists). I may twist the skills slightly so they get streetwise skills rather than theology as besuits there anarchist rather than fundamentalist nature, but it probably wont be important.

Equipment: Baseball bat (club), Leather Jacket, and Heavy Handguns.

First up: Initiative

1d20+0=4 Beat that! ;)

Okay... pg 153 of the MnM 2nd Edition book says an Initiative roll is d20 + DEX modifier + miscellaneous modifiers. And the modifiers are...

+7, DEX modifier

+24, Improved Initiative (in the Timeshift 'container')

Looks like I got modifiers of +31 -- I think. I'm not sure why Jube's character sheet has a listed Initiative value of "+7/+23", but I'm not going to fuss about it...

Initiative roll *before* applying modifiers (1d20=4)

Interestingly, my basic, unmodified roll did not, in fact, beat the thugs' basic, unmodified roll. Fortunately, Jube's got plenty of modifiers...

Hmmm... three mooks, plus one hostage... doesn't seem like the mooks could have overpowered the existing security, so there's got to be some non-mook involvement here. And that hostage may or may not be what he appears, depending on how devious the 'real' force behind this mess is. Jube's goal here is to take out the three mooks fast, before any of them can summon reinforcements.

Jube's battle plan: Zip up to Mook #1; gently pick him up and shove him so that he drifts on over to impact against Mook #2. Since Jube is upshifted to 40* faster than normal, a "gentle shove" from the cheetah equates to "thrown with great force" from any normal-speed person, and "drifts on over" works out to "smacks, HARD, against". Rather than wait for Mooks 1 and 2 to complete their rendezvous, Jube gives Mook #3 a faceful of fire extinguisher, after which he duct-tapes Mook #3 into a harmless package, including a gag so's Mook #3 cannot shout the alarm. After Mook #3 is wrapped up, Jube will wait (if need be) for Mooks 1 and 2 to collide, keeping an eye out for any nasty surprises which may pop up whilst he's waiting, and after said collision discombobulates the pair of mooks, Jube duct-tapes both of them into harmlessness, too.

What rolls should I make here, if any? Given the difference in speed & reaction time & such, it's arguable that Taking 10 would suffice to cover everything Jube is tryna do here. Failing that, it looks like rolls could be applicable for (a) picking up Mook #1, (B) hitting Mook #2 with Mook #1, and © whether the fire extinguisher trick distracts Mook #3 sufficiently for Jube to wrap him up. Yes? No?

After the mooks are dealt with, Jube's next move is to massage his lower back, with the intent of preventing a re-run of the spasm which got him noticed by these yutzes. Jube will do this thing whilst upshifted, because upshift = reduced gravity = less strain on the back, which can only help.

And finally, Jube will transport the tied-up guard to Outside, in front of the cop car. Jube will not untie the guard, however; he'll leave that to the cops outside.

I'll post to the IC thread after we've worked out how the real events differ from Jube's desired plan.

Id take this round by round.

Firstly, as these are minions, you can take 10 on the attack roll, which will hit them easily.

Picking up Mook 1 and Throwing into Mook 2 would be grapple rules - not the easiest to 'grapple' with, on this site we use an amalgamation of 2nd and 3rd edition (see under house rules).

This would be one round worth of action - if successful.

Mook 3: This would be an improvised weapon (cool!), a visual dazzle Id probably say DC 13 to use the fire extinguisher. The duct tape would probably be an improvised snare. Say DC 13. Alternatively you could just say it was a power stunt of his quickness power (spending an HP or using extra effort) by using duct tape, which would give a much higher DC (20).GIven its a pretty cool stunt, it probably qualifies for a HP in itself, making it, in effect, free.

Id take this round by round.

Firstly, as these are minions, you can take 10 on the attack roll, which will hit them easily.

Picking up Mook 1 and Throwing into Mook 2 would be grapple rules - not the easiest to 'grapple' with, on this site we use an amalgamation of 2nd and 3rd edition (see under house rules).

And... Jube's got a Grapple Bonus of +16 (+12 for Melee Attack, +4 for STR when upshifted, all else is nil).

This would be one round worth of action - if successful.

Grapple Roll for initial attack (1d20+16=23) -- does that succeed?

Mook 3: This would be an improvised weapon (cool!), a visual dazzle Id probably say DC 13 to use the fire extinguisher. The duct tape would probably be an improvised snare. Say DC 13. Alternatively you could just say it was a power stunt of his quickness power (spending an HP or using extra effort) by using duct tape, which would give a much higher DC (20).GIven its a pretty cool stunt, it probably qualifies for a HP in itself, making it, in effect, free.

Let's go with the power stunt. It's cool and it's visually flashy, so it's oh-so-appropriate for the genre.

Ok! I have to say I'm not a huge fan of M&Ms grapple and throw rules but I will do my best! ;)

You win the grapple as a move action

1d20+5=15

If you do so, for some reason you can throw as a move action. I presume your Strength at this point is 18, and the Anarchist weighs in at 175 lbs.

175 lbs is heavy load for STR 14, enough to throw 5 feet, which is enough in this case. (EVery 5 Points more strength, you move up in progression and throw further. Just short of STR 19 im afraid!)

The throwing is an automatic hit as its a minion.

Now then *cracks knuckles*... damage.

p162 I think

Anarchist A is an improvised weapon, being thrown at Anarchist B. Damage is equal to Strength bonus on Anarchist B, so its DC 19

1d20+2=21 he actually makes it!

Now, the Anarchist A (who has been thrown) is effectively knocked back, so he is prone for one. He is also takes damage: 1 rank of KB effectively so its DC 16

1d20+2=10 and he is out for the count!

Tying up Anarchist C will be another round (of course you may choose to do something else!)

Post away, and then I will do Anarchists B and C revenge! - then onto next round.

Ok There are two thugs still conscious!

Anarchist A is prone, will pull out a heavy pistol and fire!

1d20+4=8 Also, with a -4 penalty for shooting into melee. THats going nowhere!

Anarchist C swings at you with his baseball bat!

1d20+4=14 also a non-starter!

Will post immenently.

Next round:

35 -Jube - 1 HP - Unharmed

4 - Anarchists x 2 - 1 Prone, 1 Unharmed.

The Visual Dazzle with the Fire extinguicher will be a standard attack, as will the duct tape stunt - so unless spending an HP to "Surge" you cant do both in one round.

The Duct tape will be a power stunt, sufficiently cool to be free!

You said the fire extinguisher trick counts as a standard attack against DC 13. I'm assuming Jube's normal Melee bonus of +12 applies, so...

Attack roll for improvised 'Dazzle' (1d20+12=15)

15 is greater than 13... so that hits, yay! Or at least I think it hits...

Jube is going to make a point of keeping Thug C in between himself and Thug B, the perp who is so uncouth as to actually fire bullets at an innocent kitty-cat. If Thug C is dumb enough to keep firing, well, that's his lookout, ennit?

Gunfire. Loud noise. Betcha the rest of the thugs have been alerted, mumble irritate annoy.

Jube duct-tapes the remaining two thugs. Yes, even the unconscious one! Jube is a perfectionist, and he's not going to leave a loose end untied if he can possibly help it. He will transport the four immobilized people (three perps + 1 guard) outside, one at a time, guard first, so that the cops can deal with each one in an appropriate manner. No, Jube isn't going to make it easy for the perps to undo their duct-tape bonds; they ain't gonna be closer than 15 feet to one another!

Since there had been some loud noises, Jube will be watching for evidence of other perps every time he re-enters the building to carry another person out. He's a perfectionist fussbudget, yada yada yada. Me (i.e., the player, Cubist), I'm going to assume that Jube's worries on this point are groundless, since he's responding far more quickly than any normal-speed person could hope to. If said worries are not groundless, well, leave us burn that bridge when we get to it...

Assuming Jube manages to transport all four people outside without being interrupted, he will suggest to the cops that they might want to interrogate the perps, and debrief the guard... and then he'll zoom back into the building, to continue his interrupted Exhaustive Whole-Building Search in seek of more perps to take down and more hostages to rescue. Stopping to interrogate the perps might also yield information... but that would also take time, and therefore give the perps' comrades more opportunity to notice they've been invaded and put up some sort of defensive response. Better to just blitzkrieg the place, Jube thinks.

OK, so Jube has a ton of supersenses, not least of which is acute, tracking olfactory sense!

Its DC 10 to follow the trail, as its not particularly complicated, and you can take 10 on that to automatically succeed.

Ill throw in a notice roll here, to see if he can smell a bit more than just burning!

DC 15 for what is actually burning.

DC 20 for precise nature of the stuff.

Notice roll for the burning scent (1d20+9=11)

Well, frump. Lousy dice...

Jube's being able to identify an odor kind of implies that he's smelled that odor before, because otherwise, how the heck is he gonna recognize it? This is why I said that Jube's reaction to the scent of the bomb was "don't recognize it, but it's nasty". With that pitiful roll, I'd think Jubatus can recognize the smoke of common materials burning -- wood, paper, etc -- and also recognize that there are, in fact, some uncommon materials burning as well, but he won't know what those uncommon materials are. If it's an aroma that Jube has smelled before & therefore ought to recognize, perhaps he only smelled it before he turned cheetah, so the difference between cheetah-style and human-style scent impressions is getting in the way of Jube recognizing it now?

In any case... It's a munitions dump. Fire is just bad news regardless, and all the more so when the fire can easily ignite a whole lot of nasty stuff which can go 'boom' and so on. Jube's going to put on his gas mask and look for 'ground zero', the specific place(s) that is (are) burning. The building itself is going to have a number of fire extinguishers in it (unless it's in violation of the fire codes!), so Jube will collect up any extinguishers he sees along the way -- his own FE is fairly small and has already been used, hence is likely to run dry at an inopportune moment, so it's a Good Thing to have more FEs on hand. Depending on how many of the building's FEs Jube gathers, he may find it difficult to carry them all in his hands, but duct-tape is good for many things -- an impromptu harness that Jube can hang a bunch of FEs off of, for instance, or duct-tape the FEs to.

[later addendum] Jube's massive pile of Super-Senses does include Infrared Vision, which seems like a perfectly obvious thing to exploit when one is searching for the source of a fire. It's got a Timeshift-related restriction, the details of which mean Jube could be giving his back another opportunity to complain...

Ok Shifting into combat time. The Anarchist leader is just same stats, with +2 to all statistics, Attack, Defence, and 2 Ranks of Defensive Roll (+4 Toughness) 1 Rank Improved Initiative (+4), and Intimidate 8 (+10 total). He is using one of the pilfered weapons, however, a Souped up flechette!

Device 3 (Blast 6, Accurate 1, Improved Critical 1, AP Blast 6 Cone) for 15 PP.

1d20+4=21 for his initiative, although I forgot his DEX is 13, and means the roll is actually +5, for an initiative of 22.

The shotgun blast, IC post, is fluff if he looses initiative (which he probably will!)

The anarchist losing Initiative? Considering that Jube's Initiative bonus is greater than the anarchist's entire roll, I'd say that's a good bet, Supercape... Just to observe the niceties, Jube's going to Take 10 for his Initiative roll. 10+31 = Initiative roll of 41. And the crowd goes wild...

Jube will of course move out of harm's way. He will use his Strike 3, which has the "Mighty" Feat so his STR bonus of +4 boosts the Strike up to 7 ranks. Jube's Melee bonus is +12, so...

Attack roll vs. anarchist (1d20+12=17)

OK that hits - just!

Its a DC 22 Toughness roll. I should add the boss wont be treated as a minion [should still be a pushover!]

1d20+5=22 Just made (after Giving him quite the wrong bonus for the first roll of +1!)

Shotgun Blast back is +8 Attack [+6 Base, +2 Accurate]

1d20+8=15 Which I think is a miss (well, its a clear miss actually!)

Also, as a Move Action, he will attempt an intimidate/demoralise... its at -5, so +5 Total bonus

1d20+5=7.. bleh! well, you can resist that with Will save, or Sense Motive. As your Will save is +9, you cant fail, so wave that.

Jube's Defense bonus is +10, so his Defense is (10 + 10 =) 10, and that's before you start counting 'miscellaneous modifiers', so the attack roll of 15 is, indeed, a clear miss.

If a base roll of 5 on 1D20 is a hit, Taking 10 should also hit -- and it will also remove any risk of rolling a 1. So:

Taking 10 on the second attack roll: 10 + 12 = 22