A Hero's Quickening (OOC)

Cubist

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jube's "got a Concealed Carry license?" remark assumes that Freedom City has the usual array of standard gun laws. If this isn't true, it's the player screwing up; Jube would get the details right, so if I was wrong here, I'll edit the post as needful.

Also: If Jube doesn't get a plausible response to "got a concealed carry license?", his next move will be to put both of the thugs under citizen's arrest. Yes, both, even tho only one of the thugs actually did pull a gun on him. Why? Because the thugs' scent gives Jube good reason to think that both of them are carrying firearms. The player doesn't know the specific details of how citizen's arrest works in Freedom City, to be sure, but Jube has assuredly done his homework, so he'll get it right (if need be).

At this point, Jube has asked politely... twice... for documented evidence that the thugs are legally armed. He's not going to ask a third time. If either of the thugs give him any more crap, well, they're going down. I can't really see die-rolls being needful, somehow...

How Jube takes down a normal human: Duct-tape their wrists together behind their back -- make sure the tape is adhering to their flesh, and not their shirt or whatever -- and then duct-tape their ankles to their wrists (again, making sure the tape's touching flesh rather than clothing). If the normal human is being particularly obnoxious, duct-tape their mouth closed.

Like I said, I'm assuming that Freedom City has the usual array of gun laws. So the thugs' lack of Concealed Carry permits, in and of itself, should logically be sufficient to justify nailing them on. As well, it wouldn't surprise me if the explosive was flagrantly illegal. So yeah, Jube could have handled things differently, but I think he did okay for a total novice... I also think that the cops at the precinct house are in an excellent position to tell Jube exactly how and where he screwed up, assuming he did screw up.

Now that Jube's in the precinct house, interactions w/ officers are likely and perhaps even entertaining -- GM's choice how it all goes down.

Let's go on; Jube's intention is to cover the entire city, and it would be rather improbable for him to run into only one encounter. Jube will spend a bit of time on reporting what he saw and providing the cops a copy of his video files and so on... and this may or may not be worth playing out 'on camera', as it were. If it's not, we may as well fast-forward thru it, and start the next section of this thread with "After swearing out a complaint against the two thugs...".

Mini-events on patrol is a good thing!

The fumes and chemicals here are going to have a minor effect on Jube, every minute a DC 14 Fort check. Failure here is a limited visual dazzle and nausea effect (limited to watering eyes, -10 on all perception/notice rolls, and double all range penalties and limited to sickened).

As you took all your cunning precautions, +2 circumstance bonus to the rolls!

Really extended exposure would eventually cause suffocation but that wont be a problem with your rebreather and general health.

Of course Jube took 'cunning precautions' -- he's a perfectionist with the Master Plan feat! Apart from that, the once-a-minute Fortitude check is noted, and Jube doesn't intend to stick around long enough to make the first such check.

We shall see whether or not circumstances conspire against Jube so that he must stick around long enough to be affected by the vile toxins in the air...

I think the "whizz-cat" thing works just fine, as an indicator of how good or bad a reporter is. If they call Jube "Whizz-cat", either they didn't get the memo or they don't care about getting the facts right; either way, they are clearly not worth Jube's time. Not even upshifted time...

I'm not worrying about the plotline; rather, I'm looking at the given information -- namely, that word of Something Bad Happening has gotten out -- and pointing out that one possible (if not "likely") consequence, is that some other hero(es) besides Jubatus might have become aware of said Bad Happening.

I have no preference regarding whether Jube ends up taking on the anarchists alone, or in the company of other heroes. If Jube does it himself, that just gives him another opportunity to shine on his own, which is good; if he ends up working with other heroes, I get a chance to see how Jube interacts with other characters, which is good in a different way. As far as I'm concerned, it's a win-win situation!

If you prefer one option or another, Supercape, I say go for it. Otherwise, you could always flip a coin or something?

I have no idea how likely, or improbable, it would be for Jube to run into a supervillain on his first day as a hero. It would certainly be appropriate to the genre, of course! Either way is fine by me, and I will gladly leave the decision in your capable GMly hands.

I'm not sure if Jube's commlink knows what to do with police radio, but it seems like a reasonable thing to try. His police scanner is strictly one-way, hence not useful for a conversation...

Assuming the commlink does what I hope, Jube's plan is to introduce himself to the cops and let 'em know he's on his way to help, ETA about one second.

Commlink normally functions as a commlink with the the "team" - I'm not sure you have specified which "team" if any you have. My understanding is that could be pretty broad, so you could specify that as AEGIS or some other "In universe" organisation.

However, I wouldn't worry too much about this here. If it fits, use it, as there is no meaningful mechanical advantage.

Ok lets throw in a stealth roll here.

The thugs aren't paying a ton of attention, but on the other hand, there are a lot of 'em.

Ill set DC according to how close you want to get. DC 10 for a straightforward rece, 15 for one which involves examining the hostage and thugs numbers, 20 for an in depth look at what they are doing.

Okay, that's a roll of "1D20 + relevant modifiers" against whichever Difficulty Class. This is the first time I've had to make a roll in MnM, so I'm not entirely sure which modifiers are relevant; I'll list a bunch of things that might be relevant, and you tell me which ones are or aren't worth bothering with in this case, okay?

+9 from Stealth (obviously)

+7 from DEX? (appropriate, but since Stealth alreadyincludes DEX modifier, this would kinda be double-dipping)

+ (1-3) from Master Plan? (Jube *did* plan this out ahead of time, sort of, so maybe...)

+2 from running near the ceiling? (i.e., "bonus from condition improving performance", assuming the thugs are unlikely to look up)

Jube will go for the DC of 20, because of course he wants an in-depth look at everything! For the moment, I'll assume Jube has +11 in bonuses (from his Stealth and from running near the ceiling). The basic die-roll is 1d20=8; with just the +11 modifiers, it adds up to 19, which fails by one. However, if either DEX or Master Plan are relevant here, Jube makes this roll.

If Jube failed the roll, perhaps it's because he's been going bipedal all along, and his back/skeleton finally had enough (see also: his Nature of the Beast complication)?

Stealth is +9 - +2 from skill, +7 from DEX. You dont get the additional DEX bonus as you say.

You could get +1-+3 from Masterplan, which requires a separate roll. Its probably best used before combat rather than as a one off like this however, so leave that off.

I would allow the +2 for ceiling running, as it fits with the situation.

So +11 overall.