Die Me, Dichotomy [IC]

Dr Archeville

Vivian realized something else: she wasn't breathing! Or, rather, she was 'breathing' the warm fluid that surrounded her!

Ew, ew, ew, ew, ew

Breathing in the liquid in the tank was one of the more unpleasant experiences she'd had, though given the days events, it certainly wasn't the worst. The thick, congested feeling it gave her made her think that she'd have no problem with forcing it out of her system as Dr. Archeville had said.

"Normally I would advocate staying in there longer, but since you have already regained consciousness, it is evident your recovery is going well ahead of a standard schedule. If you wish, I can drain the tank, so you can talk and see John, but when I do so you will need to cough up all the liquid in your lungs, and that will be an... unpleasant experience. Do you wish to be released now?"

Unable to do much in the way of making a response, Vivian lifted her head slightly, and then lowered it. After the feeble attempt at a nod, she blinked twice. Seeing as how she still retained the use of some of the finer muscles in her face, she hoped her impatient expression itself might get the hint across.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Archeville nodded, and manipulated more controls. The tank began to drain, and the cool air made Vivian wish she'd stayed in the warmed fluid. As soon as he head was clear, she reflexively began coughing up the fluid; she might later liken the experience to "like puking up after a long, hard night of drinking, but much, much worse."

Ah, that takes me back...

By the time she was done, the tank was drained, and all that remained was the harness. Archeville input a few more commands, and the restraints loosened, then he stepped in and undid the final fasteners.

"Now, take it easy, you may not be able to stand steadily yet," the Doktor advised, "they did quite a number on your... well, on everything, really."

"Yea," Vivian panted, as Dr. Archeville undid the restraints. "Sitting will do for- ahem," she coughed again, "For now."

The cold made Vivian aware that she was no longer wearing any clothing. Once the restraints were released, the small pearl sized orb that hung around her neck became all that she wore. She could feel the cold breeze in the laboratory flow across her skin, but the low temperature did not bother her in the least. Her tolerance for cold rivaled that of the once great viking warriors that called the cold of Scandinavia home. It was just another one of her god given powers.

Dr. Archeville just patched up a good portion of my body, most likely. Despite the robots I saw earlier, John probably still had to assist him at some point. Besides, the two of them have been staring at me floating naked in a tank for Odin knows how long. I doubt I have anything left to hide from them at this point. Looking up at Dr. Archeville, she spoke: "On second thought, I think I'll stand."

If she was still in pain, or having trouble moving, she hid it well. Her face had a smile on it that showed she was glad she was alive, but it hid a hint of resentment, that she hadn't gone down fighting.

Vivian did just that. Under her own power no less. Her long blond hair fell heavily across her shoulders concealing some of her form, and The Orb that hung in front of her chest glowed brighter when she drew upon it's strength. She stood in front of Dr. Archeville, and eyed his lab coat hungrily. Placing her hands on her hips she added, "What's the matter, Viktor? Not going to lend a girl your coat?" with a tone of immodesty in her voice.

Amazing!

"Not your size, I am afraid," the Doktor replied with a smirk, then clapped his hands sharply three times. "But my staff should be able to find something for you."

One panel on the nearby wall slid back, and a rack of assorted hospital gowns slid out. The top of the rack was covered in small golden spheres; two wriggled and detached, revealing themselves to be beetle-like robots. One sprouted wings and flew over to and around Vivian, while the other sorted through the gowns. When it received the last of the measurements the other one was taking via their wireless link, the one on Vivian returned to the rack, then both beetle-bots brought a gown to her, holding it up by the shoulders as they flew it over. They even helped her tie it on before returning to the retracting rack.

Such efficient little bug-bots I have!

It fit perfectly, and felt smooth as silk. Better yet, the back part actually closed, and didn't leave her backside exposed.

"The fact you are even able to stand," the Doktor said, back to a more clinical tone, "shows remarkable recovery on your part. But I would advise you to not strain yourself, not right away. What happened in there?"

Elena is gonna be sooo mad!

"Not your size, I am afraid," the Doktor replied with a smirk, then clapped his hands sharply three times. "But my staff should be able to find something for you."

Vivian fixed Dr. Archeville with an accusing glance that seemed to say, "Shame on you." Still, when the bug began to zip around her taking measurements, she was obliging as possible, but never took her eyes off of the scientist, making sure she could see where he was looking.

"Swanky," She said, pulling the gown away from herself to admire it, once it had been fastened. "You're a scientist, right Doctor? I'll bet you keep very good records." She took a few steps closer and whispered in his ear, "I'd like you to delete those measurements, please." A knowing smirk split her face when she withdrew. Clearly, she was a girl that was very used to being paid attention to.

"John," she turned, smiling, "We did it!" She threw her arms out to the side, enjoying the moment.

"The fact you are even able to stand," the Doktor said, back to a more clinical tone, "shows remarkable recovery on your part. But I would advise you to not strain yourself, not right away. What happened in there?"

Her arms and her smile both dropped, "...And we lived to tell about it," she finished. She focused her attention on Dr. Archeville again. "I don't remember getting there. All I remember was the fight above ground. I wasn't really winning, but then, with their numbers, Holding my own is credit enough. Then suddenly, there he was. Guy came out of nowhere and clocked me. I assume it was him. That punch felt like a truck hit me. Then nothing."

Vivian was silent for a few moments. Lost in thought. She had calmed significantly from her previous chipper self. Though she was looking at Dr. Archeville, he could see that she wasn't really looking at him. It seemed that she was seeing something else entirely. "I..." she started her next sentence slowly, "Don't...really..." she hesitated, staring again. "Before John got there, everything is hazy. I just remember that it hurt. A lot. Which is no small thing, coming from me. I may be a girl, but I'm pretty tough, all things considered."

Vivian walked slowly to where John was standing. She placed her arms around his midsection, and lay her head on his shoulder. "He wanted something. Information. There were questions I couldn't answer, because I didn't know the answers. I wouldn't tell him if I did...He could have killed me, but I never opened my mouth, except to spit in his face. That I remember."

John frowned, leaning against a nearby work bench. Is he enjoying this? He tried not to look jealous while also trying not to stare, but succeeded only in looking grumpier than he usually did.

Vivian walked slowly to where John was standing. She placed her arms around his midsection, and lay her head on his shoulder. "He wanted something. Information. There were questions I couldn't answer, because I didn't know the answers. I wouldn't tell him if I did...He could have killed me, but I never opened my mouth, except to spit in his face. That I remember."

Ditching the cold compress, John wrapped his arms around Vivian, and kissed her on the head as he held her. "It's OK. We're out of there now." He looked up at the Doktor. "What do we do now?" As he said it, he found himself holding Vivian a little more firmly and protectively. "Because if we're looking into this further, we'll need backup."

Archeville listened intently to Vivian's words, nodding here and there. "What was it he asked you? What information was he seeking?"

And why was he working with them? Everything I have heard indicates Ragnarok's few beneficial vigilante acts were when he targeted SHADOW operations.

He flashed a quick smile at John, but quickly reverted to a dour (and slightly haunted) look. "As I said before Vivian awoke, I plan to call AEGIS, Scarab, probably the rest of the Freedom League. If there is an active SHADOW cell in Freedom City, and if Ragnarok is working with them, this is a huge threat. You are, of course, welcome to rest up here and recuperate as long as you wish."

Ohhh, this is so very, very bad!

"More like inactive." Vivian smiled at John, even as she pulled away from him to stand on her own. "There's nothing left, Doctor. There weren't even any shadow agents there to harass us on the way out. Now Ragnarok is likely trapped under under a lump of earth bigger than Odin's beard."

Vivian strolled back towards Dr. Archeville, in order to better speak with him. "If this cell was ever a threat, it couldn't have been a very big one. John told me how easy it was getting into that place. He didn't alert any guards other than the ones that happened to be there. No reinforcements came after our fight with Ragnarok, which I daresay rocked the foundations. Hell, their knockout gas didn't even work on him." Vivian gestured with her hand towards John.

"Their equipment is crushed. Their clones are dead. And Ragnarok? Well, who knows, but at the very least, he got a sound beating." Vivian shivered suddenly, but not from the cold. Wrapping her arms around herself she continued, "If you have to investigate that's fine. But I'd rather not be a part of it." Her gaze shifted away, and downward, "I don't want to go back down there."

Archeville shook his head, "even a small group needs to be reported. The most malignant of tumors can arise from but one cancerous cell. And even if they were just here to support Ragnarok in whatever his mission was, well, then there is still the fact Ragnarok is in Freedom City!"

Man, Elena is going to hate hearing about this. Oh, hey, she might be passively monitoring me now! Hi, Elena!

"An speaking of Ragnarok," he continued as he approached the pillar of monitors in the center of his laboratory, which showed a variety of news feeds both local and international, "even if the destruction of the SHADOW cell base killed him, you can be sure their agents would go in and try to retrieve his body. And that is the best case scenario; worst case is, he is still alive down there, and pissed."

He held up a hand to the two, and addressed the pillar. "Communications, establish four-way video conference. Subjects: Self, AEGIS Iceberg, Freedom Hall, Scarabs Pyramid Lair." Four of the screens changed, one showing him standings (and the lower halves of John and Vivian), the other three static. He tuned back to face the two, "I do not know if you wish to be here for the conference call; it will take at least a few seconds for it all to get connected should you wish to... become more anonymous."

Are Elena and John still on speaking terms? Oh, once this blows over we should get together for a nice meal!

"So be it." Vivian's face fell slightly. "I cannot say that you are wrong. If you and the other heroes of freedom wish to fight this fight..."

Vivian touched the blue orb that hung about her neck. It glowed blindingly bright for a brief moment. When the light faded, she stood proudly in her iridescent blue armor and winged half helm. Both of her hands rested on the end of Mjollnir's haft, and the head of the hammer lay between her feet.

"...Then I will fight it with you. Such is my duty. Such is the nature of a true warrior, to never run from a fight."

Arrowhawk grabbed his discarded armour and hood from the floor, and swiftly began clasping them on with practiced, precise movements. "Ok. But I'm going down there with the team," insisted Arrowhawk, pressing his domino mask to his face. Immediately, adhesive gum fastened it to his face and red eyes flared into dim light.

"He could probably very easily wipe out an entire AEGIS squad." Arrowhawk grabbed a seat near Dok's in preparation for the conference call.

Archeville nodded at the heroes' words, then glanced back to the surgical center. He noticed that the armor his machines had removed from Valkyrie were gone.

Recalled back to their otherdimensional realm of origin, and replaced with a fresh, new suit? Or does the armor somehow 'reset' itself when she dismisses and recalls it? Or is it withdrawn and expanding from that Orb at her throat? So many questions!

"I believe I would best serve this cause by acting as 'mission control,' coordinating efforts and providing long-range scans. And to serve as transport should it be required."

Moments later, the three monitors showed people on them, an AEGIS agent, Scarab, and Daedalus. "Ragnarok is here," Archeville stated, "along with a small SHADOW cell. Arrowhawk and Valkyrie here set off the self-destruct to the facility, but we all know that will not be enough to stop their plans, or Ragnarok himself. We need to get down there and find out what they were up to. I believe Scarab and Dr. Metropolis would be our best bet for a forward reconnaissance team, followed by-"

I'm helping!

Eight night later (October 22nd). Evening. Full moon, clear sky, light breeze, temp in the mid-40s.

Vivian had been fixing herself a late night snack, when she felt a call from Those Who Sit Above ringing in her mind. Childe! A test of worthiness is upon thee, greater than any you have faced before! Seek you Providence where the seas meet the rock, and there face Dwellers of the Deeps! Stem the Blood-Dimmed Tide, or the Old Ways shall be lost!

Coming out of her reverie, Vivian exclaimed, "Father?!" It was normally the voice of the Norn which spoke to her, but this voice was not so easily recognized. It was stronger, yet formless. Her resolve strengthened, "I hear and obey!"

Could this be it? She thought as she pressed her hand to the glowing orb at her throat. Her other hand slid the bowl of cereal across the small table toward the wall. She'd wash it later.

When the flash of lightning that struck her cleared and left nothing behind, the TV was still blaring the sounds of a history channel documentary. The light on the DVR indicated it was recording. She could finish her regularly scheduled programming after she saw her duty fulfilled.

Valkyrie appeared in Port Regal, on the gently upward sloping access road just outside the grounds of the Providence Asylum. To her right, through approximately 100 feet of light woods, was the Great Bay, and from that direction she could hear battle, mostly in the form of blasts of energy, jet thrusters, and spat curses. Her demi-divine speed carried her down the sloping grounds in a flash, to a beach; a few hundred feet north was the stone bluff atop which the Asylum sat. Out of a cavern in the bluff came several humanoid figures, about half in the tattered rags of the homeless and half in a varied mix of contemporary clothing. They were joining other figures out on the beach itself, who had just leaped up to grab at a figure hovering in the air and were trying to pull him down.

The flying one wore a massive, broad-shoulder suit of golden armor, with blue light shining out from the joints. Thrusters at the feet and along the back held it aloft, and it was firing laser-like blasts at the gathered hordes. The figured turned and saw Valkyrie, and shouted (in the somewhat flat, notably mechanical voice of someone wearing powered armor) "run, mademoiselle! Dzees ees not a fight you want to be een!"

Valkyrie? Ha! Oh, this is fortuitous! Not only do I get to burn out this infestation, I get to deal with her, too!

Vivian paused to observe the scene. What she saw made things clear for her. There was a hero doing battle. There was evil to fight. Her duty was clear.

"Run? From a fight?" Valkyrie was legitimately shocked at the sentiment. "I think not!"

There was a flash of lightning, and suddenly, Valkyrie stood at the face of the cliff before the horde of what appeared to be crazy psychopaths. Gazing at the oncoming horde she continued, "Every fight is one I want to be in, Warrior." She raised the hammer above her head, with one hand, and turned her head slightly to see over her shoulder. Underneath her half helm, she smirked. "Better cover your ears."

Lightning struck the Hammer of the Gods. From that singular point, it rushed out in all directions. It found it's way to the hearts of all those that stood opposed to the warrior maiden, and struck them down. An instant later, there was a sonic explosion. A clap of thunder echoed after the lightning that was so loud, it shook the cliff side.

Lightning exploded outward, striking all ten of the assailants, and blowing holes in them! Some fell over silently in quiet shock, others raged and sputtered with their dying 'breath,' but as all fell, their bodies crumbled to ash and blew away on the breeze coming from the Great Bay.

I'm going to enjoy studying that hammer!

"Merci beaucoup, mademoiselle!," the armored figure said as he approached the woman by the now-scorched cliff face. He hovered before her for a moment, then settled with a THUD onto the beach. "I see mah concern for you was unwarranted... dzough I do hope you do not 'old eet against me. I 'ope you are up for more," he pointed at the cave mouth, "dzer are at least anodzer dozen more vampires in dzere, waiteeng in dze dark. Who knows how long dzey 'ave been feedeeng on dze poor souls een dze Asylum above! May I count on your 'elp?"

He held out his right hand to her.

Attack outside the cave, or inside? I do want to clear out these vampires, and in there she would be limited in mobility -- but so would I. The research I've done this past week indicates she cannot fly, only teleport, and not very far at that, so the advantage of mobility is mine, so it would be foolish to not use it. Ah, first things first: the vampires. Who knows, maybe she'll slip up and get piled up on, and I won't have to do a thing to snuff her.

"Well met. I am Valkyrie. You present a welcome challenge!" Valkyrie practically cheered as she clapped the man's forearm with her hand and gave it a shake. "Come. They may still be surprised at our arrival. We must press the advantage while it exists!"

Without sparing another word, she dashed towards the cave. Unlike many other divine heroes, it was clear that she did not fear the darkness.

The armored figure grasped her forearm in return, "I am called Chevalier, and I like your eager spireet! But-"

She had already dashed off.

Charging in, as expected. Such a simple, predictable mind.

Valkyrie may not have feared the dark, but the lack of fear did nothing to change the fact she could not see in it. Enhanced senses were one thins that was not part of her blessings from the Aesir.

She soon heard the sounds of heavy boots on the sand-covered rock floor of the cave, and turned to see Chevalier behind her, his armro limned by the light of the full moon, and the blue sections of his armor glowing softly in the darkness. "I do believe dze opportuneety for surprise has long past, madame, but as long as we show dzem we weell not be cowed, we weell ween dze battle, and dze war!"

Battle by battle, I will win my own war against you degenerate, ignorant, superstitious savages!

By the light of the full moon streaming through the cave, Valkyrie could see the cave tunnel went straight on, well into the darkness that the light could not reach. She could hear numerous voices -- hissing, spitting, guttural, animalistic noises, echoing and reverberating throughout what surely must be a maze of tunnels ahead. The sea spray from the Great Bay still filled her nose, but who knew what would assail her senses once they got deeper in?

"Indeed, Chevalier. May thine words ring as true as my hammer will when it strikes them down." Valkyrie reached to her chest and touched the orb socketed in her breastplate. "May the Father grant me sight in this darkness, so that I might see his work carried out."

At once, the orb flared to life. It would have practically lit the room, if her eyes, glowing iridescent blue did not. No extra light was shed on the cavern, but the veil of darkness was pulled from her eyes. Her foes were visible, and her duty was clear. She gave Chevalier one last sidelong glance, fixing him with glowing eyes. "Ladies first, right?" She raised her hammer above her shoulder and tightened her grip. An eager smile spread across her face, and for a moment, she reminded Chevalier of a dog pulling at its leash. It was clear that her fury was difficult to contain, but it was also remarkable that her faith allowed her to so easily direct it.

Before he could say much of anything in response, Valkyrie was already speeding towards the first wave of the creatures.

Hunh, my findings never indicated she could do that. I really am going to enjoy examining those items...

The battles were long, and the foes dreadful, but in the end the two were victorious, standing ankle-deep in the ashes of dozens of vampires, who had been using some of the natural tunnels under Providence to reach inside and feed on the residents. Their fights almost brought them into the Asylum itself, but never broke up into it, though one resident would spend all the next day complaining about the worm turning under his bed. Now they were in one of the larger cavern chambers under the Asylum, a few hundred feet from the cliffside opening they'd entered through (assuming their memory of the paths they'd ran through were correct!).

"You are tres formidable, madame! Dze power weetheen you, dze fury... yet you exert such control over eet! C'est magnifique! Valkyrie, would... would you be willeeng to 'elp me with something? I 'ave fought dze monsters and dze culteests for some time, and I 'ave found it is 'ard to find solid allies, but I theenk you could be one." He gave her a solid pat on the shoulder, the one not almost bitten off by one of the larger vampires that had attacked them. His own shoulders slumped slightly, "I do dzees -- all dzees -- because... well... you see, my seester, she was was taken from me, some years ago, and-"

Oh, frak this. I'd hoped the vampires would do her in, but I should've known I couldn't count on their kind for anything! And it would take too long to effectively brainwash her.

Chevalier suddenly raised one hand, pointing, "Valkyrie! Behind you!"

Hammer at the ready, she spun around, her warrior's senses focused on whatever might have been trying to sneak up on them unawares. She did not see that sections of Chevalier's armor, at the forearm, were reconfiguring themselves into a new energy weapon, a potent Gamma radiation blaster.

"I said 'behind you'," Chevalier repeated, in a much colder tone, and without any accent.

And then pain flooded into her.

Pain. It was all she knew. She couldn't see. Her vision had gone white. She couldn't hear. Her ears were filled with a rushing sound. She couldn't feel, except for the pain.

Her back arched, and she screamed, allowing the pain to flow through her, "AAaauughhh!!!"

Then it stopped. For a split second, everything was eerily quiet. She was on her hands and knees, and her right fist still clenched her hammer tightly.

"You bastard." She spoke quietly, and turned her head toward Chevalier. She had to look behind her to see him properly. "What kind of spineless worm delays until a battle is won to turn on a fellow warrior?" She rose slowly. "Thou shalt find mine mettle sterner. Odin suffers no such betrayals. Thus is taught to even the basest stripling." Valkyrie readied herself for combat. She held her hammer behind her, low to the ground, gripping it with both hands. "Indeed, I should praise and thank thee. I will enjoy this."

With a blur of motion, Valkyrie charged her newfound opponent. "Hhrrraaahhh!!!"She planted a foot, hard, just in front of him. She translated all of her momentum into the circular path of the hammer, and brought it's head crashing into Chevalier's armored chest. At the apex of the cavern, as small wisp of what looked like smoke formed only momentarily. From the temporary cloud, a wickedly cruel bolt of lightning lanced downward, and struck the villain at the place where the hammer met his armor. Like all her blows, it struck with a terrible strength.

Though now, Valkyrie was keenly aware, that her opponent was still standing, and that she was still turning. Her back was once again momentarily exposed.

That... was considerably more potent than I had anticipated. But her brute force is no match for my scientific superiority!

Chevalier reeled back a few steps from the force of the blow, but showed no sign of so much as a slowing of his reactions. "What kind of warrior?," his electronically broadcast voice screamed. "The kind who erroneously thought those subhuman vampires would be able to take of a simple-minded slattern like you!"

He kept his cannon-arm trained on Valkyrie, and with his free hand retrieved something from the ring of small panels at his waist. His boots-jets kicked on, and as he flew back to the edge of the room, he tossed the item down. A smoke pellet! The chamber filled with a thick whitish-yellow smoke, one that smelled strongly of garlic. (During their fights he did say he'd come prepared to fight vampires; this must be one of his anti-vampire weapons.)

"But now I see that if I want something done, I must do so myself! Die, you superstitious fool!"

Now Valkyrie was off-balance and in an impenetrable haze. Her eyes and nose stung almost as bad as the scorch mark on her back... but irritated nasal passages would soon be the least of her worries!

You can't see, but my radar and sonar systems can see you! And now... an X-Ray Laser to the face!

"Coward!" Valkyrie roared as the smoke pellet exploded. Her senses were blocked once more. Though Odin's light shone from her breastplate, it illuminated only the fog around her. Valkyrie covered her face with her free hand, and whirled about, attempting to watch all of her open sides. It was a losing battle.

"Are ye afraid? Fight me face to face! Come out an-" The energy beam broadsided her, "Auuughhhhh!!!"

Her body felt like it was on fire. The pain was immense, and she could barely remember to breathe.

Such baseless bravado! But I tire of this: she is far from being any sort of 'worthy adversary.' Not that I hold much stock in such ridiculous views to begin with!

"Afraid?," she heard echoing off the walls, unable to pinpoint the source. "Fear is for lesser men... never for Cavil!"

Ah, I have revealed myself! Well... it's not like she's going to be telling anyone!

Suddenly she felt him slam into her from behind, held in a full nelson lock! "The last thing you will hear... is the cracking of your vertebrae... one... BY ONE!" He began pressing down, bending her neck far more than it was ever intended to go.

Over so quickly. Sad, really; here she shall die, alone. How long will it be before anyone realizes she is gone? A day? A week? Will he notice at all? Maybe I should make this more memorable... and serve to warn all others that her kind shall not be tolerated!

Suddenly, he stopped. "Ah, no! You would not want to die here in a stinking cave, would you? You would want something more glorious, yes?" he mocked. "Come; I shall oblige you!"

Maintaining the hold, he kicked his jet-boots on and flew out of the cave, then up, up, up, nearly 2,000 feet into the night sky.

"No!" Valkyrie struggled, "No!" and struggled, "No!" and struggled.

She fought him all the way through the air, to the apex of his flight. But to no avail. He was stronger than her. Stronger than the artifacts she wielded. Stronger than the gods.

No. This can't be happening. I won't allow it.

There they hovered. Two thousand feet in the air. Suspended above the waters beyond Freedom City. Beneath the clouds. Beneath the sky. The Sky!

"Coward!" Valkyrie roared, "Thine strength exceeds mine own. But thou art still a coward!" For a moment she stopped fighting him. "A coward and a fool." She said, placidly. She went limp, giving herself up. Not to the embrace of Chevalier, but to the embrace of the gods. "By Odin's beard," she spoke calmly, her voice eerily serene, "I will not be cowed by the likes of you!"

"TREMBLE BEFORE THE MIGHT OF THE GODS!"

The skies went white.

Yet Valkyrie knew only darkness.