Rene DeSaens (PL 11/14) - Supercape (Platinum)

gallery_517_7_11687.png
Player Name: Supercape

Character Name: Rene de Saens

Power Level: 11/15 (180/250PP) [263]

Trade-Offs: -1 Defence, +1 Toughness. -1 Attack, +1 Damage

Unspent PP: 70

Progress To Impervium Status: 143/150 (Platinum Status earned with Supercape)

In Brief: Mystic painter. Aged French Antiquarian.

Alternate Identities: None

Identity: Public

Birthplace: Paris

Affiliations: None

Family: None alive!

Apparent Age: 70

Ethnicity: French Caucasian

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 70 Kgs

Eyes: Brown

Hair: White

Description: Slightly stooped with age, but not bent over, and has some wiry robust health. Has a white goatee and hair, wears a beret, glasses, and bohemian artist clothes.

Power Descriptions: Rene's base mystic powers come from his mind directly. It as if he is painting onto reality via magic. As such, the effects appear like brush strokes in our reality - a bolt of light, darkness, fire, lightning, or whatever, streaking towards the target. His Emotion Control power is a broad brush stroke of visible art pictures and lighting that briefly appear and evoke a particular mood. The Grasp of Morpheus power is a subtle change in lighting and haziness that evokes a hypnotic slumber.

One particular trick he has learned is painting himself (and others) “onto†a picture, therefore transporting himself to wherever he wishes, providing he has a painting or picture of the area in question.

When using his magic brush, he visibly paints. In this case, the spells are not single brush-strokes, but major artistic creations. So he can paint visual illusions, or darkness, etc [illusion and obscure effects]. The “communicate†power in this array involves painting text onto surfaces miles away that briefly appears and fades.

Rene also has a magic beret, into which he can put or take out a variety of objects, if he ever takes it off, including small animals, such as the classic rabbit!

Rene normally wears an amulet of protection around his neck. This looks like a small bronze Egyptian ankh with a bronze chain that loops around his neck.

Rene’s eyes are bad (he wears glasses), but he can mentally “see†his surroundings as if they were painted, artistically, in an impressionistic style. This can be helpful sometimes (like in darkness) but it does not of course pick out fine detail like text.

History: As a young man, fought in the french revolution and ended up helping Broken Crow, master mage of the time, track down and destroy an aristocratic necromancer. Broken Crow was impressed with the man's bravery and aptitude, and pointed him down the path of the mage. Since then, Rene has travelled throughout Europe as a mage, artist, antiquarian, and - at times - revolutionary. He has always remained a political, philosophical and passionate man.

He has recently set up shop, and flat in Freedom City. Whilst he has travelled to the "New World" on occasion before, he now fancies spending a few decades in America after living in most of Europe and north Africa. Besides, these colonials could do with a bit of culture. In addition, Rene has come into possession of an ancient Greek text that indicates, in obscure form, that the Oracle of Delphi may have indicated his presence is required in "a Great Western Continent beyond the seas".

Personality & Motivation: Irritable classic "artiste". Also, sworn to defend earth from mystic threats.

Powers & Tactics: Not a physical fighter, uses deception and sows confusion. And powerful mystic blasts! Always a sucker for “artâ€, he will usually try to defeat his opponent as elegantly and “artistically†(which may not just mean visual art) as possible.

Complications:

Anything for Art Aside from a passion for objects d'art, he can use sub-optimal tactics purely because they would be more "artistic".

Creaky Bones Has a variety of old age complaints, a bit hard of hearing, needs reading spectacles, joints hurt in the winter, and so forth.

Give me liberty! Passionate - too passionate, about life, liberty, and politics.

Hazy Memory Tendency to forget important things.

Abilities: -2 + -4 + 0 + 2 + 22 + 4 = 22pp

Str 8 (-1)

Dex 6 (-2)

Con 10 (+0)

Int 12 (+1)

Wis 32 (+11)

Cha 14 (+2)

Combat: 8 + 8 = 16PP

Initiative: +2 (-2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)

Attack: +4, +10 Magic

Grapple: +3

Defense: +10/+4 (+4 Base, +6/+0 Amulet), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -5/-0

Saving Throws: 0 + 2 + 0 = 2PP

Toughness +12/+0 (+0 Con, +12 Amulet)

Fortitude +12/+0 (+0 Con, +12 Amulet)

Reflex +0 (-2 Dex, +2)

Will +11 (+11 Wis, +0)

Skills: 56r = 15pp

Bluff 4 (+6)

Craft (Artistic) 14 (+15)

Diplomacy 4 (+6)

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 14 (+15)

Knowledge (Art) 4 (+5)

Knowledge (History) 4 (+5)

Languages 10 (Arabic, Egyptian, English, French [Native], German, Greek, Italian, Latin, Russian, Spanish, Sumerian)

Notice 2 (+13)

Sense Motive 4 (+15)

Feats: 8PP

Artificer

Beginners Luck (representing suddenly remembering being taught that skill many years ago, but damn, his memory is bad...)

Benefit 2 (Wealth 2 [Rich])

Equipment 0 (+2 [10EP] Veteran Reward)

Improved Initiative

Luck 2

Ritualist

Equipment 2PP = 10EP

Headquarters "Rene's House" [5EP]

Size: Small (House), Toughness: +10, Features: Library, Living Space, Security System (DC 20), Workshop (Arcane)

5EP contributed to Parkhurst Hotel

Powers: 24 + 10 + 18 + 5 + 1 + 53 + 6 = 117PP

Device 6 (30PP Container, Flaws: Hard-To-Lose) [24PP] (Amulet of Protection, Mystic)

Enhanced Fortitude 12 [12PP]

Protection 12 [12PP]

Shield 6 [6PP]

Device 3 (15PP Container, Flaws: Easy-To-Lose; Feats: Restricted [Requires Arcane Knowledge]) [10PP] (Beret)

Pull It Out of The Hat 6.5 (13PP Array; Feats: Alternate Power 2, Subtle [Looks like stage showmanship]; Drawbacks: Action [Move, waving hand in circular motion over beret]) [15PP]

Base Power: Dimensional Pocket 3 (500 lbs.; Extras: Duration 3 [Continuous]; Flaws: Limited [Not usable as attack]) [12PP] (Put it in the hat!)

Alternate Power: Create Object 4 (Extras: Duration [Continuous]; Feats: Innate, Precise, Subtle [Look like real objects]; Drawbacks: Special 1 [size and shape limited to hand held objects only]) [13PP] (Pull it out of the hat!)

Alternate Power: Summon 2 (30PP Minion; Extras: Duration [Continuous], Type 2 [broad, Animals]; Feats: Mental Link ) [11PP] plus Communication 2 (Speak to and Understand Animals; Flaws: Limited to the one animal he has summoned) [2 PP] (Rabbit out of the hat!)

Device 6 (30PP Container; Flaws: Easy-To-Lose; Feats: Restricted [Artistic Craft Skill bonus of +10 or higher]; Drawbacks: Power Loss [Cannot use if unable to gesture as if painting]) [18PP] (Mystic Paintbrush)

Mystic Ink Array 11.5 (23PP Array; Feats: Alternate Power 7) [30PP]

Base Power: Obscure 7 (Visual Senses, 500ft radius; Extras: Duration [Continuous], Range [Perception]; Flaws: Action [Full]; Feats: Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Magic]) [23PP]

[array]Alternate Power: Animate Object 4 (60PP Minions; Extras: Animate Images Only (+0), Duration [Continuous], Range [Perception]; Feats: Progression [Minions] 4 [25 Objects]; Drawbacks Action 1 Full Round to animate objects]) [23PP]

Alternate Power: Color Control 7 (Extras: Duration [Continuous], Range [Perception]; Flaws: Action [Full]) [21PP]

Alternate Power: Communication 9 (Extras: Area (Omni Directional); Feats: Dimensional 2 [Any Mystic], Selective, Subtle 2) [23PP]

Alternate Power: Concealment 2 (Normal Vision, Extras:Attack (+self), Area [General, Burst], Duration [Continuous], Range 2 [Perception], Selective; Feats: Close Range, Progression [Area] 5 [10-500ft radius], Selective; Drawbacks: Action 1 Full round to activate) [22PP] (Invisible Ink)

Alternate Power Illusion 5 (Visual Senses; Extras: Duration 2 [Continuous]; Flaws: Action [Full]; Feats: Progression [Area] 6 [500ft radius]) [21PP]

Alternate Power: Light Control 7 (500ft radius; Extras: Duration [Continuous], Range [Perception]; Flaws: Action [Full]; Feats: Precise [Vary level of light], Variable Descriptor [Different color and source of light]) [23PP]

Alternate Power: Morph 4 (Any Form, +20 Disguise; Extras: Affects Others Only (+0), Duration [Continuous], Range 2 (Perception); Drawbacks: Action 3 [Full]) [21PP] (Mystic Make-up)

Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease, Flaws: Limited [1/2 Effect]) [1PP] (Mystic)

Magic Array 29 (48PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 5) [55PP]

Base Power: Blast 12 (Extras: Autofire; Feats: Accurate 3, Affects Insubstantial 2, Homing, Incurable, Indirect 3, Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Magic]) [48PP]

Alternate Power: Emotion Control 12 (Extras: Area [shapable], Selective Attack; Flaws:Sense Dependent [Visual] ) (48PP)

Alternate Power: Fatigue 12 (Extras: Alternate Save [Will], Ranged; Feats: Accurate 3 [+6], Homing 1, Insidious, Indirect 3, Reversible, Sedation, Subtle 2) [48PP] (Grasp of Morpheus)

Alternate Power: Snare 12 (Extras: Transparent; Feats: Accurate 3, Affects Insubstantial 2, Homing, Indirect 3, Reversible, Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Magic]) [48PP]

Alternate Power: Stun 12 (Extras: Range [Ranged]; Feats: Accurate 3, Affects Insubstantial 2, Homing, Indirect 3, Reversible, Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Magic]) [48PP]

Alternate Power: Teleport 9 (20,000 miles per Full Action ["Anywhere On Earth"]; Extras: Accurate, Affects Others, Range 2 [Perception]; Flaws: Limited [Long-Range], Medium [Picture of target area to paint onto]; Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity, Progression [Affects Others] 2 [5 Others], Progression [Cargo] 2 [500 lbss]) [42PP]

Super-Senses 6 (Danger Sense [Mental], Mind's Eye [Mental Sense, Extras: Accurate, Acute, Ranged]) [6PP] (Magic, Views surroundings as if they were an impressionist painting)

DC Block:

ATTACK RANGE SAVE EFFECT

Unarmed Touch DC14 Toughness (Staged) Damage (Physical)

Color Control Perception DC20 Fortitude Transformed

Illusion Perception/Area DC15 Will Special

Morpheus Grasp Ranged DC19 Will (Staged) Fatigued/Exhausted/Unconscious

Mystic Blast Ranged DC24 Toughness (Staged) Damage*

Mystic Snare Ranged DC19 Reflex (Staged) Entangled/Bound

Mystic Stun Ranged DC19 Fortitude (Staged) Dazed/Stunned/Unconscious

*Energy or Physical (Variable Descriptor)

Totals: Abilities (22) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (2) + Skills (15) + Feats (8) + Powers (117) - Drawbacks (0) = 180/250 Power Points

Edited by Fox
+1pp for November 2014

A Superhero, but an aged irritable one.

It struck me there aren't any old old characters in Freedom City so I thought I would try my hand at one. Whilst he wont be wearing a costume (apart from an antiquated dress sense), he will still be a fully functioning superhero, albeit in the Dr. Strange mode (or associated sorted cast).

OK, So he wont be engaging in acrobatics...

This character is in the vein of "Master Mages" as per Book of Magic. He will hopefully be more cerebral than pounding fists, more of a "trickster" combatant than pulsing mystic blasts etc.

As for personality, he will probably be a grumbling romantic. Fluff of complaining about his creaking bones and poor memory, but actually be very wise. Touches of Clint Eastwood in "Unforgiven" spring to mind, although you could take pretty much any aged hollywood action hero and see traces of Rene.

Erm. Does that answer your question?

His defence was lower than I had intended. Have boosted it up to +4 [Effective defensive PL now 6]

Lost 2 PP of skills (Diplomacy and Languages), Connected Feat, 1 Point of Luck.

I have plans for boosting his defence up later (With another magic item) but this will need more PP than I have at present!

The problem is, SC, this character is barely functional: his powers hardly work and he's nowhere near his defensive caps even with the edits you're currently working on. I know you like playing joke characters and all, but this is not the sort of sheet we like to see players have. We want newbies looking at the character bank to see characters worth copying. (Which is harsh, because he's got a novel design and a fun character theme, but damn)

If you want to play a Glass Cannon, give him a +5 Defense/-5 Toughness tradeoff, a tradeoff in favor of Damage, and All-Out Attack all the time.

Hmm. Very well. I'll give it some thought. For clarification is the fluff or the mechanics?

(I'm not entirely sure where the dividing line for Joke characters is! :D )

EDIT: Rene has now got his robe of mists, a device I had planned for to boost him to caps... which it has done! Paid for by dropping WIS to 26.

Rearranged formatting some so it's a tad more alphabetical, and a bit more in-line with out standards.

You need to place the things within a power effect in alphabetical order. I.e., Variable Descriptor should come after Homing, Indirect, and Reversible.

You are aware the Attack version of Teleport only goes the standard, not extended distance, so you can use it to teleport someone 800 feet against their will, but not to any point on the continent. Also, since Extras are always used (unlike power feats, which can be switched on or off at will), his Teleport is always going to be "forcibly teleport someone and teleport with them." And for those two reasons, Long Range only isn't a valid Flaw for this.

Those Custom PFs on his Dimensional Pocket are either unnecessary or... weird. "Can split trapped victims into separate pockets" is something I believe can be done with Dimensional Pocket as-is (the Dimension you stick them in has cells). The "can see into pocket via picture" -- which I assume means you're painting the target into a picture (note: you need to put in descriptors of what your spells are, what they look like to an observing bystander) -- seems like a Visual ESP (dimensional [painting dimension]) Usable By Others.

Though now that I've typed that out, that does sorta sound like a valid use for the Noticeable drawback for his Dimensional Pocket. Yeah, slap that on, anyone seeing his pics can clearly tell there's some kind of dimensional mojo at work.

Thanks Dok, appreciate that it is a complex power (that's why it went through the grind in the Character Building)

For Teleport, I am not sure it works as an attack power as is: maybe for the future! So I have changed it to an affects others extra. Somebody could thus choose to be painted into a picture and go there (without Rene).

Have added some fluff describing the powers.

Have alphabeticised the power feats.

The dimensional portal effect is the trickiest of the lot - I wasn't aware you could have separate cells in a dimensional pocket - so scrap that PF.

I am not entirely sure how to link in a Visual ESP (dimensional [painting dimension]) Usable by others. Firstly, it seems expensive for a pretty weak effect. Mechanically, I confess I struggle a little. What the heck would be the range on it?

• 4 years later...