Bee Okay (IC)

Electra

There was dead silence from the bees, except of course for the deafening sound of their drumming wings, before the queen shouted. "ITZ HER! ITZ HER! WE WILL BEE FREEEE!" And then the bees began a raucous celebration, dancing and singing giant bee songs that made the teeth rattle to hear them, swinging around each other in mad pirouettes that might have squashed any unwary normal humans around, looking as pleased as only sixty-foot insects can be. "WHEN DO WE LEAVE? AND WHAT...WHAT WILL YOU DO WIZ THAT ONE?" One of the bees pointed to the curl of leaves on the floor. "ZHE IZ A ZTRANGE BEEPED."

"We'll leave directly. As to how," Phantom floated up to make the wide portal that would serve as a door between this world and the other. Transport was something that came easily to the dimensionally empowered mystic and it took but a second to toss her cloak wide and transform its folds into a huge shimmering portal to the place that Stesha called home. She glanced down at the pile of leaves, giving Stesha a vague shrug as if to say that was all her call. Phantom had already tossed her bid in for immolation.

"That wasn't a real human," Stesha told the bees, "it was just a robot. It can be deactivated and disassembled. It won't bother anyone ever again." Though the robot was already secured inside a flower, she disappeared the tangle of vines as well, to remove all confusion. "For now, it's stored in a safe place. If you all have any things to gather, get them now, otherwise, we'll leave right now. The others are already waiting in your new home. And the travel is perfectly safe!" To prove it, she stepped through the portal first herself. To her surprise, Phantom's portal provoked a sudden wave of nausea, but Stesha forced it back, only swaying slightly as she stood on the other side and looked back.

"WE HAVE LIVED WITH NOTHING! BUT WITH YOU...PERHAPZ WE WILL HAVE EVERZING! WEEE WILL FOLLOW!" With some trepidation, but then a growing confidence, the bees followed Fleur through the portal to Stesha's green new world. The queen was the last to leave the prison-hive, buoyed by three of her strongest drones as the gigantic insect monarch made her slow, laborious way through the passageway: she could walk, at least, even if she wasn't light enough to fly even for so important a journey as this. Clanking along on gigantic chitin legs big as a person, the queen leaned on her fellows as she followed the last of them through the gate to the new world.

• 2 weeks later...

It took no more thought to hold the portal than stepping through the worlds did. Phantom took one last lingering glance through as, really, there hadn't been nearly enough destruction to make her feel that the job was well and truely done, but they could always come back. She closed the portal once she was certain the last bees were through and floated down to solidify on the ground below. She came up behind Stesha, having noticed her moment of wavering after they exited and shot her a look of concern, although it was probably hard to see in the shadows of her hood and behind her mask.

It was drizzling on this world as well, but other than that, there were few similarities to the Freedom City they'd just left. A large field unfolded before them, full of massive and colorful flowers, each one the size of a house. There were no buildings anywhere in sight, and no humans, and no cage walls. Here and there, a giant bee buzzed among the flowers, not yet aware of all the new arrivals. "Here we are!" Stesha called to the queen, swallowing a few times to make sure her stomach had settled back into place. "This is Sanctuary, and you can live here in peace. Accommodations are a little rough yet, but there's plenty to eat!" Putting two fingers in her mouth, she whistled sharply to catch the attention of the native bees.

The subsequent storm of bees would have been daunting for any other women; as it was, the arrival of dozens of gigantic, noisy bees in the throes of a joyous celebration was certainly a sight to remember! The bees buzzed and danced for each other, grabbing forelimbs and spinning around and around, incidentally knocking over trees like kindling in their celebrations. They were making loud, booming noises like aircraft engines backfiring, and it took a moment to realize that this was the language of gigantic bees. It took a while to sort out one giant bee from others, but they all seemed to be working together to help the queen make her way towards their new home, with lots of feeler-rubs and leg-grabs along the way. Beatrizz finally found Fleur in the crowd, reaching down to pull her up for a hug. "FLEUR DE JOIE! I AM ZO HAPPY! YOU HAVE ZAVED UZZZZ!" she cried, sounding very emotional.

Stesha squeaked with surprise as the massive bee scooped her up, then laughed and patted Beeatriz's fuzzy face with both hands. "I told you I'd find them for you, didn't I? They're going to need your help to adapt here, but I hope you'll all be very happy. You remember my friend Phantom, right?" she asked, gesturing to the cowled heroine. "She was the one who helped me get into the place where your friends were being held. She's as responsible for the rescue as I am."

• 2 weeks later...

The bees were effusive in their thanks for both Fleur and Phantom, a noisy, fiery family reunion that looked like something from a drug-addled musician's fever dream. There were bee songs and bee dances, and the bees themselves chattering in booming buzzes that was a little hard to follow for native English speakers. There was a lot of work ahead of the bees, but the family really had been reunited, and the two heroines could be more than happy about the victory they'd won.