Dog Fight (IC)

JackgarPrime

Gabriel mutters a curse under his breath and alters course. He begins chasing after the man in armor. However, he realizes they need an edge in this chase. Thus, rather than pushing himself to his maximum speed, he diverts much of his attention to a more...esoteric...approach.

Sound waves suddenly battered the very mind of the final member of the Power Corps, threatening to turn everything upside down.

"While he's distracted, move in! Let's go!"

While her colleagues took off after the fleeing villain, Miss a kept her attention concentrated on the battered, woozy, but still conscious woman who'd attacked her first. With her hands brilliant with multicolored laser light just waiting to be unleashed, she swooped in, backing Number 2 against the ruined van. "All right, listen up," Miss A snapped, instantly capturing her foe's full attention. "Another blast from me, and you won't be awake to go to jail. But that's the least of what I can do to you." She smiled, showing a full set of perfect white teeth, brilliant and sharp.

"I'm going to ask you some questions, and if you answer them promptly and truthfully, I'll let the police and prosecutor handle things however they see fit." Miss A idly studied one glowing fingernail. "But if you don't, I'm going to take a very personal interest in the case. By the time I'm done making sure that the very fullest measure of justice is meted out against you, they're going to put you so far underground at Blackstone that you could mine for geothermal taps. And you'll be a very old woman before you see the sun again. So," she continued, turning her full regard back to Number 2, "who are you working for, and what was in that briefcase?"

Victory takes the cue, not quite sure what Gabriel did, but whatever it was, Number 1 seemed to be faltering. Nodding, he gears his jets up to chase after the leader. But moments before he blasts off, he throws a quick comment over to Miss A.

"Do be careful with the truck. Important cargo and all that."

And he's gone, seemingly before his words are even done flying through the air. In fact, it seems that, as the other heroes catch his words, he's already on top of the Power Corps. member, the mentally compromised soldier never seeing the massive blow coming, as a big metal fist crashes down on the back of his head, slamming him fast into the ground below. Such a hit causes him to let go of the briefcase, which Victory manages to snatch before it,too, falls to its doom.

"Phew...that was close..."

Geckoman pulled up shot on the ground, hovering a few inches above the ground. "OK, time to get all these guys out of their armour. Anyone wanna help?" he called out to the various heroes.

"If they recover, we don't want them to be in their power suits." He went over to the nearest Corps member with a wrench in hand, and went to remove the unconscious mercenary from their armour.

GM

The armor seems to be rather difficult to remove, but some time working at it shows the occasional line in the armor, along with small hatches for emergency manual removal. Working at those would likely pop the entire thing open.

The only conscious member, Number 2, coughs a bit , but finally answers, albeit somewhat labored in her dazed state.

"The group doesn't give us their....their real name...We....we meet someone different each time...But we usually meet near the dock...Number 1's supposed to meet our contact there once we have the goods."

She coughs again, and groans before she speaks again. "They.,...they have these weird looks in their eyes....all of 'em...They're human enough but...something feels "off", I guess is the only way to put it...."

She gradually seems to getting her senses back, and speaks a bit more clearly. "I'm not totally sure what's in there, but we were told this was some kind of parts shipment. Government stuff. Real rare and expensive, I'm guessing..."

Miss A glanced over long enough to see the results of the fight and nod approvingly, but most of her attention was still centered on the cowed villainess she was interrogating. "Tell me exactly where you're supposed to meet this contact, and any code words that you use when you meet with these people. Trust me when I say you really don't want to double-cross us on this." It explained Victory being so coincidentally in the sky, she supposed, if he was guarding a parts shipment for an AEGIS lab. She wasn't entirely sure where the others had come from, but a scrum did tend to attract attention in a city like Freedom.

GM

The armor seems to be rather difficult to remove, but some time working at it shows the occasional line in the armor, along with small hatches for emergency manual removal. Working at those would likely pop the entire thing open.

Geckoman sighed deeply, and pulled out a screwdriver and a small hacksaw from his belt. "Gah. Sucks." He secured his goggles down over his face as he leaned over the suit, working on the lines and hatches with a furious expression of deep concentration.

"I wanted to not scratch the shiny, but alas, poor Yorick..."

Gabriel helped Victory move the Power Corps members over near the armored truck, though he mostly just watched. The military cyborg was just a bit stronger than our sound-wielding hero, after all. Eventually, he moved over to observe Geckoman's work.

"Thank you for your help. I'm Gabriel, by the way."

He reached down and gave a slight sonic pulse to a pesky latch, popping it open.

"Want to see if we can wake this one up, try to get a bit more information out of him?"

Victory swooped back over to the other heroes, dropping Number 1 off with the rest of the other Power Corps members, with some help. They spread them out in a line. They were all very much unconscious, so there wouldn't be any struggle when trying to get their armor off. Once they were all laid out, with Gabriel and Geckoman attending to them, he flies over to Miss A, who had been interrogating Number 2. Floating a little bit higher, to be able to look down at Number 2 from over Miss A's shoulder, he speaks with his arms crossed.

"So, what did this one have to say? Something helpful, I hope?"

GM

Number 2 took a few moments before answering, her head bobbing about. She was still rather disoriented from the blows, and it took her a moment to think. But after a few seconds, she begins to answer again.

"On....on dock #5. Supposed to meet us near a shipping boat coming in from China. We don't use any codes that I know of....they always seem to know it's us, even out of the suits...Always seemed odd to me..."

"All right, good girl," Miss A said with a nod, looking around at the others. "Lay down face-down now, and don't move. You'll probably feel better like that anyway." While the villain complied, she spoke to Victory. "They've got a meet arranged down at the docks. We could stake it out and set a trap, we've got a little bit of time here to plan." She shrugged one shoulder elegantly. "That is, if you don't already know who they are. It looks like you were expecting this attack."

"All right, good girl," Miss A said with a nod, looking around at the others. "Lay down face-down now, and don't move. You'll probably feel better like that anyway." While the villain complied, she spoke to Victory. "They've got a meet arranged down at the docks. We could stake it out and set a trap, we've got a little bit of time here to plan." She shrugged one shoulder elegantly. "That is, if you don't already know who they are. It looks like you were expecting this attack."

Victory strokes his chin, thinking of the next move. He gives a glance to the other two heroes, who are finishing up the task of getting the villains out of their armor, then back to Miss A. "Well, it's more that we expected SOME form of attack. Or at least we were taking precautions. I don't even know exactly what was in here, but anyone who got word of a parts shipment would be absolutely sure to try and intercept this. I was expecting someone closer into the city, to be honest. At least these guys were smart enough to stage their ambush outside city limits, where there would be less heroes patrolling...Well...except for today, it seems."

Quickly grabbing Number 2 by the collar, he moves her over to the other two in a flash, so they can get her out of her weapon as well, then ends up back with Miss A before it even seems like he's gone.

"We should definitely stake out. We'll have to be sure at least one of us is far enough away to be ready in case this is a trap,too."

Gabriel gave a thoughful nod. He glanced around at their little group, and smirked a bit.

"None of our outfits scream "stealth", so...I volunteer to be one of the "front line" people on the stakeout. Worst comes to worst, I can send a message to our backup via my powers. Should be pretty hard to pick up, too. Do we want to split the groups even, or do "3 on stakeout, 1 on backup"?"

"At least one person on the stakeout will have to be wrangling that guy," Miss A said, nodding in the direction of Number 1. "The people they're supposed to rendezvous with apparently know him out of costume, and can tell its him before they show up. We'll need to have him along to be convincing. I think I can handle him, so I'll be down on stakeout duty. Victory, I believe you're the fastest flyer we have, you could fly out and back us up if needs be."

Victory nods, thinking about what sort of positioning they'll need. "Alright. I'll be up in the sky, keeping an eye and ear on t he stakeout itself. I'll stay high enough up that they won't see me and get suspicious. Now, I'm assuming that it's Number 1 they'll be planning to meet. So we have two options: Either try to disguise one of us, which I honestly don't know if we can do or not. Or have someone accompanying him personally, with the proverbial gun to his back."

Thinking for a bit, he smirks, looking Miss A over for a moment, getting an idea. "How good an actress are you?"

"Why do people always assume bright green means 'obvious'," complained Geckoman. "It means 'obvious unless you're really, really, really good'. Guess what one I like to think of myself as?"

"And I think we should get the police on stand-by. Four capes, they won't need to step in, but they'd be ready on hand to take these guys into custody. I know a guy in homicide, he could talk to the guys in charge of smuggling and get us some info and assistance."

"Just give me the role and I'll sell it," Miss A assured Victory with a confident smile. "Though if it's something extreme, you may have to give me a little time to at least scrounge up a costume. And that's a good idea, Geckoman," she told the green-clad hero. "It never hurts to have a few boys in blue on hand to take the bad guys on after the fight is finished. Get in touch with your contact and get the wheels turning. I'm assuming AEGIS' backers don't have the appropriate jurisdiction inside the city," she half-asked Victory.

Victory looks back over to Geckoman and nods, wagging his finger in a "you got a point there" sort of motion.

"Good call. Get in touch with your contact, see what he can do for us. If possible, see who he can get to send over. Otherwise, I can get my people to talk with the dispatcher, and we could have enough police there in no time."

He looks down to the villains all laid out.

"Speaking of which, there should be a clean-up crew on their way here right now. Once we get this rabble locked up, we'll get our plan all set up, preferably away from where someone could hear. Even out on the highway, we don't know what might be listening in..."

Gabriel nodded.

"Police are an excellent plan. And while I don't have major disguise supplies, I'd like to think I could at least do a decent job of acting my part. As for Number 1 over there...I think between Miss Americana and myself, we can convince him that it's an excellent idea to help us."

The smile he gives doesn't quite reach his eyes.

Geckoman flicked a cell phone out of his utility belt. It was apparently a deeply lurid shade of lime green in excess of even his costume. "Right, I'll just go make a few calls. Maybe get a pizza. Pepperoni is vital stake-out food!"

He wandered a short distance from the group, dialing a few numbers into his phone to alert the police to what was going down, and to advise them on a course of action. When the phone was picked up, he could be heard saying "Hey, we got a problem here..."

• 2 weeks later...

While the response crew finished getting the Power Corps all wrapped up and ready for jail, Victory nodded to both Gabriel and Miss A. "Very well, then. You two will be the ones meeting with the contacts, while Geckoman and I keep watch. We'll need a place where we can plan the rest of the operation out, though."

Victory rubbed his chin, considering where might be a good place. he would suggest one of the AEGIS-run meeting areas,but he doesn't have the authority to let non-personnel in to such areas.

"Do either of you have somewhere we can go? Or perhaps our friend on the phone there might...."

He also cast a glance to one of the agents, who meets his look. Lance darts his eyes to Number 1, and the agent nods, apparently understanding something he was being ordered.