Vanquish and Vitriol (IC)

GM

Another long day goes by in Freedom City, with all the usual manner of goings on that seem ordinary in the extraordinary metropolis, despite how they may seem in other places. Some people were just getting out of work, while some kids who had to stay a bit later in school from practice, clubs, or what have you were being picked up by their parents, many of whom just got off work themselves. Meaning there was getting to be a lot of traffic in the city's center.

The evening was beginning to set in, but the day was still light enough that the street lights weren't needed. Although, this particular sunset seems to have a bit stronger of an orange hue than every other day, and the breeze felt a bit more chilling than its temperature should make it....

Since he had no family to go home to, Murdock volunteered to help carry the huge trashbags out to the big dumpsters behind the restaurant. The smell disgusted many of the people there, but Murdock wasn't bothered: he himself had eaten worse than food left to decay for a few days, and he'd seen far, far worse in his time. When everyone else had gone home, he dallied in the break room to wash his hands, then began heading home. It was a long walk back to Lincoln, but truthfully it was as enjoyable as the bus to take his feet.

GM

During his walk home, the strange orange tint the sky was taking got a bit more intense. It wasn't long before it seemed to fill up the entire sky. The clouds moved much faster than the breeze, and the temperature seemed to drop ever so gradually.

Before too long, though, Murdok would be stopped. Going through one of the alleys he needed to pass on his way home, a sound not unlike that of a plane flying overhead blasted past him, the trees and light posts shaking from a force of sudden wind. It blows past him, about 10 yards in front, covered some by the shadows in the alley, as well as the approach to evening, the figure lands on the ground, kicking up a bit of dust. It was hard to make out, with the figure's back was to him, but that speed and the large sihilouette with the pieces sticking up and out the shoulder areas could only belong to one person....

"Hm." Murdock studied Victory uncertainly, feeling an unsettling twinge at the back of his spine, as if his armor was begging for release. "Can I help you?" he asked, his voice not rising above a stage whisper as he spoke to the armored figure. Victory wasn't normally so careless about his flight in the city, which made Harrier especially nervous. Was there an emergency? Or was something else happening entirely? "Is something wrong?"

GM

"Hm." Murdock studied Victory uncertainly, feeling an unsettling twinge at the back of his spine, as if his armor was begging for release. "Can I help you?" he asked, his voice not rising above a stage whisper as he spoke to the armored figure. Victory wasn't normally so careless about his flight in the city, which made Harrier especially nervous. Was there an emergency? Or was something else happening entirely? "Is something wrong?"

The familiar figure straightened up, rotating his shoulders a bit to get some sort of stiffness out, and speaks. The voice, however, was not a familiar one. It certainly wasn't Victory's. It was a deeper voice. A much more hateful-sounding one. It began a bit quiet at first, but it wasn't without force behind it. "Wrong? Well....I suppose you could say that..." As he speaks, he turns. And when he does, it was clear that something was VERY wrong...

When the figure turns, even in the darkness, a sinister light came from him. Where the eyes and mouth would be, a disgusting orange light emits, parting the shadows, making them dance wickedly in the growing night. The light didn't seem to be just limited to the figure's eyes, as lines of the disgusting energy course throughout it like veins.

"Greetings from the other side....drone."

A civilian would have screamed and run from the monster. Even a hardened soldier might have done the same at the sight of a superpowered individual, particularly a cyborg so like the Omegadrones, dripping with the terrible power of the Terminus. A more experienced superhero would have bantered with Vanquisher, perhaps throwing an insult about his ugly face out as he prepared for battle. Murdock simply charged, armor exploding from his body in a shower of slick and blood, smashing shoulder-first into Vanquisher's chest, his jetpack roaring to life as it erupted from his back, letting him slam Vanquisher against the wall behind them hard enough to crack the brick.

Harrier didn't talk, he didn't banter: he brought the sharp end of his pike up, the end shrieking with rapidly cycling electrical charges, and smashed it into Vanquisher's chin. He wasn't trying to knock him out or stun him; he was trying to put the blade through the soft, vulnerable tissue beneath the jaw and shove it up through the brain. He'd done it before, too many times; the fastest, easiest way to kill a humanoid with a powerpike in melee. Harrier was no killer, not anymore. But he'd made the natural assumption that this was Victory as an Annihilist, a version of his friend corrupted by the powers of the Terminus and sent to bring him back to Omega. And to prevent that, he'd kill, oh yes.

When the blade scored off Vanquisher's armor, simply slicing him across the face rather than through the soft parts of the skull, Harrier swung the blunt end around and smashed it into Vanquisher's midsection, once, twice, until he heard soft, vulnerable flesh crack inside the armor, through not a deep enough crack for the internal bleeding and ruptured organs he'd hoped to inflict. Smash the organs at center mass, break the heart and lungs; another fast way to kill. But not this time; fate seemed to favor the monster as he grabbed the blade, deflecting it before a fatal blow could fall. Harrier heard the whine of his enemy's energy capacitors charging to fire, and spoke for the first time just before the blast came, defiance in his voice. "My. Name. Is. Harrier."

GM

Good. Good. It still has the killer instinct. The....thing's "eyes" widen just a bit in surprise at how quickly Harrier goes on the attacks, but he has a big grin on his face, the disgusting orange energy seeping out from between his teeth. His arms were wide, almost asking him to come to attack! And attack the former drone does. Quite an assault as well. The initial blow against the wall causes a big shack against the building, causing the brick pieces to fly away, leaving an indent in the shape of Vanquisher's body. Feeling the coldness of the blade come up and strike across his cheek, Vanquisher's head turns from the force, as the orange ichor splatters to the ground in the alley.

He begins to turn back, but the blow to his stomach causes the entity to begin to bend over, spitting a bit more of that orange energy on the ground. But, as the final blow comes down, the creature reaches up and swats the blow away, and it brings its head up, its awful, grinning face meeting Harrier eye to eye, and with a roar, a massive light comes from his eyes and inside his mouth, filling the alley in a horrible orange light, like a perverse sun.

"Good hit. Good hit indeed...DRONE...you still have the instinct...but that's enough of that..."

After the blinding light starts to fade, the figure has blasted away, gone somewhere high, high up in the air...

Fear in combat was something new to Harrier. It wasn't something he'd ever felt as an assimilated drone, not even as horrible things happened all around him, but life as a free man meant life inside his own head. Which meant that now, blinded and faced with a superior opponent, even if one he'd already injured badly, he felt fear. Fear of his own destruction, the far-worse fear of reassimilation...No. No, I won't give in. Never. He'd heard the flier take off, no doubt planning to strafe him as he flailed helplessly in darkness, a strategy Harrier himself knew only too well.

Cities burning as poison gas choked their inhabitants, picking off lone defenders one-by-one from the air...

I cannot outfly him. Especially not blind. DIG.Gritting his teeth inside his armor, his mouth bare against cold metal, Harrier raised his staff and drove it straight down: he might have gone nowhere fast if he hadn't been close to a manhole, the metal giving way before the concrete beneath his feet did. Harrier plunged into a deeper darkness, a deep, dark hole whose dimensions he couldn't see or hear. Come find me!

GM

The horrible figure floats high in the sky, readying himself to dive upon his prey, like some kind of perverse hawk. Orange light blasts forth from his rockets, hurtling him back to where he left his blinded prey. But as he goes in, he sees a big hole has been made. Likely, the drone smashed down into the sewer, trying to hide in the darkness. But that would do no good. His enhanced vision is capable of seeing heat signatures, and Harrier's shines clearly even so far down. His grin widening as he approaches, his fist gears up, as he ducks swiftly into the hole, fist first, and collides the hand right into the drone's cheek. It seemed luck was on the drones side, however, as he seemed to lose some momentum of the hit during the slight modification to his trajectory. It's still a painful hit, but not quite as satisfyingly violent as he had hoped.

Options unfurled in Harrier's mind even as a powerful blow rocked him back, flesh giving way inside his armor. Can't fight him blinded, not like this. Can't see if the light is getting through or if he has senses of his own. Move. Make his mobility a curse. He stepped backwards and his jets roared to life, rocketing him into the darkness. Slow down. Don't take the injuries you want him to take. He thought fast, and pumped his pike, activating the internal sensors within.

The ceiling! Blast out as I blasted in; make sure the heroes of the city are aware of the fight. Bring rock down on both of us if I must, the better to make sure it ends. As he heard Vanquisher taking off behind him, Harrier turned and fired a devastating blast into the roof of Freedom City's sewers, blasting a sinkhole in the vacant lot above and sending a cascade of bricks and mortar and pipe down below. I will help repair this, he promised himself as he ducked from the sound of falling debris.

GM

Before he swings to land the next blow, a flash of light brings down the ceiling above the two of them. Cursing under his breath, the enemy jumps back, before he gets hit with the rubble. As he stands on the other side, the two separated by a wall of stone, the entity scowls and yells over to his opponent on the other side.

"Running, drone?! Your time on this side must have turned you into a coward!"

The enemy looks up, and sees enough room to get through. Leaping up into the air once again, he floats in the air, judging the distance that the drone may be moving at. He can't be sure exactly how far he's moving, but there's always one way to find out. He charges his energy, and begins to blast at various spots on the ground below, at a variety of distances, attempting to flush his opponent out, or even crush him beneath the rubble!

As the battle rages in the city, Victory had just gotten back to base from his patrol. Taking off his helmet, one of the agents runs up to him in a hurry, panting in panic.

"Quick! You've gotta go back out there!"

"What? What happened?"

"Look!"

The agent points him to one of the monitors, where, high in the sky, a figure was blasting away at the city below. The camera was blurry, but there was something...very familiar about that figure. But he couldn't quite place it. But he knew that, whatever it was, he had to stop it!

"Alright! I'm heading back out!"

Even as he finishes the sentence, Victory had already blasted back out to the city, heading towards the location of the crazed villain!

From down below, as his sight slowly returned, Harrier shook his head with a slow, mechanical sound. You are mistaken about me. He thought as he heard the distant, filtered voice of the taunting monster come through the rocks he'd surrounded himself with. My life is nothing. But to spare the people of this city from you and your master, there is nothing I would not do. No sacrifice I would not make, of my dignity or otherwise. And with that, he rocketed out of the ground, striking aside a manhole cover as he roared right past Vanquisher overhead. "Follow if you dare!" he taunted, remembering watching Jack of all Blades fight. If I anger him enough, perhaps he will do something foolish like follow me!

GM

Not that Vanquisher needed much incentive to follow! He wanted to get his hands on the former drone as is, and he was ready and willing to take that bait. Gearing his jets up, he readies a strange blob of energy in his hand, and in a flash, he's jumped from sight. Less than a second after, Harrier's eyes may see a lash of orange light flick past his eyes. Some sort of strange energy lasso that his foe was trying to hit him with, no doubt. But he manages to avoid getting caught in it, only to see his pursuer right in front of his eyes.

"Happily..."

That horrible grin never leaving his lips, the energy in his arm builds up, getting ready to attack once again....

The...thing doesn't get its chance, however, as a sudden streak of silver comes right for him. While Vanquisher is fast, all he goes out in time is a look over to see a big fist meeting him right in his face, hitting at high enough velocity to cause a bit of a shockwave that blows over all three figures, and the people below watch as some sort of orange light go streaking across the sky like a shooting star.

With the threat knocked far, far into the distance, Victory looks over to see Harrier, with a bit of a nasty blow on his faceplate, but otherwise not too much worse for the wear.

"You alright, Murdok? Looks like that thing didn't hit you up too bad."

"He is formidable." replied Harrier, snapping his pike out to its full extension as electricity crackled along the tip. They were thousands of feet above the city, a reassuring thing when battling such a powerful foe. Harrier wasn't the sort to feel outclassed when dealing with a threat like this; as he watched Victory punch the monster at least two miles away, he was just glad to have him there. "He shares your vulnerability to electricity and magnetism. I had hoped to lure him into the electrical substation in Lincoln. He knew what I was before I changed, Victory."

GM

Indeed he must be formidable, as, even after a gigantic blow like the one Victory gave, their foe managed to shake the cobwebs out of his head and regain his bearings. That was a hell of a hit, he had to admit. And at a speed even he'd have a hard time keeping up with. But as he flew away, his eyes caught a glimpse of the entire shape of the new arrival...and he grins.

"Found 'em!"

The figure's body was beginning to show even more orange lines than before, likely a result of the damage he's been taking. As he flies back, he tries to prepare himself to return the hit in kind, but finds that his body is too jarred. No matter. He begins his flight forward anyway, his grin widening as he sees the shapes come up, and getting the chance to recognize for sure that the shape of the new arrival was as he thought. But even as he charges forth, the drone's pike let loose a blast of energy, and it catches him right in the chest. Clutching it, he noticed that, while it was painful, it wasn't as brutal as the earlier hits. Looking between the two, his hand over his chest, and orange ichor dripping from his mouth, it speaks.

"Those were some nice hits.....That must mean you're the one they got to replace me...."

Victory was going to ask how Harrier knew about his weaknesses, but the last bit of information completely overrode that in importance. His eyes widening in surprise, he isn't sure how anyone would already know, since Murdok hides it so well.

"How could he? Do you think he's from....?"

He's cut off, however, as the damaged, but still functional foe comes screaming back, a wicked grin on his face. THe blast from harrier seems to put a stop to his rush, but his words get through to Victory.

"Replace?"

Looking his foe up and down, he finally can see just how similar in shape the two are. The boosters, the metal...and a torn-up AEGIS symbol?! While Victory doesn't have the logo on him,as he usually flashes a badge through a holographic projector in his hand, the fact that this enemy, as warped and mad as it is, would have such a thing, shocks him. Gritting his teeth, he braces himself. He doesn't go on the attack, but he knows that their opponent could attack at any time.

"What do you mean 'replace'? And what are you doing with that symbol on you?!"

Harrier suddenly had a disquieting thought. "You..." He studied the AEGIS symbol on the false Victory's chest for several long seconds before he spoke. "Yes, they might do just that." He pointed his crackling staff at Vanquisher. "The power of the Terminus is not yours to control. You may imagine yourself Omega's loyal pawn. You may even imagine yourself his rival. Those thoughts are a mistake. If you surrender, you can yet be purged before your soul is taken from you." He said with deadly assurance. "But I will not allow agents of the Terminus. They will not be allowed."

GM

The entity didn't seem to put much stock in Harrier's warning. He simply flashed that wicked grin, orange ichor dripping from between its teeth. Its breathing seems to be rather labored, likely from the wounds he's taken thus far. It holds up its hand, showing a crackle of orange energy from its fingertips.

"Omega? Surely you don't think I'd give myself to that tyrant? I was made to destroy him, after all. Or rather...I should say we both were, isn't that right?"

His gaze had moved back to Victory, as it rears its hand back, the energy building back up, readying to strike.

"But then, I'm not exactly happy about what your bosses did to me, either! If it weren't for them, I-"

He's cut off, as the energy he was building was quickly creeping up his arm, starting to engulf him. His eyes widen in horror, as he realizes what's happening.

"DAMMIT! Not already! I'm not done yet!"

Although something clearly bad for him was happening, as his body begins to get overwhelmed, his grin re-appears as he looks at the two.

"Oh well...stay right there, you two! We'll all go on a little trip!"

Victory wasn't sure what that was supposed to mean, but he was ready to shut him up for good before he said anything else...

Until he found himself wrapped in a coil of the strange glowing energy! Even worse, it was attached to the increasingly bright glow coming from Vanquisher! It seemed that, whatever was happening to him, he wanted to get his "replacement" caught in it.

"What the hell?!"

It wouldn't be the first time he's been caught in some sort of binding, but he's always been able to break out quite easily. His jets gear up, bursting from all angles, as his arms attempt to tear it open from within. However, even with his strength, the energy doesn't budge even a bit!

"Dammit! I can't...move it!"

Harrier turned and brought his blade down with a slashing ferocity, the energy bonds around his ally sparking just once as the sheer power channeled by his armor and pike tore through Vanquisher's power. Turning to face the monster, Harrier pumped his weapon, the tip whining as it channeled the power of destruction itself. "When you return," he said with the surety of one who knew enough about enemies to expect that, "We will be ready! Now begone!"

GM

When the bond is cut, it quickly snaps, and the sudden loss of tension sent Vanquisher flying backwards, his strength working against him. As he reels back, he grits his teeth, looking like he will attack again, but the energy engulfing him had overpowered in invader, as his body starts getting pulled back, a wormhole of orange light forming behind him, pulling his body back into it.

"Damn you both! And your government masters, at that! When I get back, you'll all wish I'd killed you this tiiiiiimmeeee!"

As he screams those last words, the wormhole swallows him completely, sucking him back to the horrible dimension from whence he came.

When the entity is finally gone, Victory finds a moment to catch his breath, as the energy dissipates once the tether holding him was cut. Giving the spot from which their foe disappeared, Victory's mind races with questions. But he has a good idea where he can get answers. In the meantime, he looks back to Harrier, and places his hand on his fellow hero's shoulder.

"Thank you for cutting me loose. Looks like we each had a turn helping the other today, eh?"

Victory pats that shoulder a couple times, then looks back to the same spot.

"So what do you think? About the odds of him actually coming back?"

"They return. They always return." Harrier might have been looking at Victory; under the former drone's featureless faceplate, it was hard to tell. "I had hoped that this world among any others was free of the agents of the Terminus. But such a place as this will always have enemies. Always." The setting sun glinted off his armor, the Terminus metal having taken a solid beating in the fight. "We must find where he came from, and make sure that no more like that are coming. You understand, Victory, about those who changed you? A world that thinks to harness the Terminus might as well die by their own hand en masse. It would be a kinder fate."