Disco Fever [OOC] [1972] (Full)

Heridfel

Thanks there. Gravitor may be a low PL, but even low PL characters can have a very high Intelligence. The main problem with Gravitor's logic is the unstated premise of "They are not from far in the future, because Sean still appears to be in his early 20s." If he consciously rejected that premise, then he might have figured out even more.

I also figured out why I'm having a little difficulty with this storyline. In the comics, when people are tossed around in time, they don't usually worry very much about injuring causality. When the Justice League goes back in time to fight Vandal Savage during WWII, they'll fight Nazis in the meantime if they need to. There are plenty of characters, like Bishop in Marvel or Tom Tomorrow in Freedom City, who go back with the express purpose of changing history. In this thread, Icarus has been the only one who is consciously trying to change history or interact with historic characters, so I feel like I'm focusing on what I'm doing more than I'd like.

I'll be sure to state that up front next time, but I guess I'm a little confused. What was your motivation for joining in a time travel storyline if your main goals are to not change anything and to get back as soon as possible?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks there. Gravitor may be a low PL, but even low PL characters can have a very high Intelligence. The main problem with Gravitor's logic is the unstated premise of "They are not from far in the future, because Sean still appears to be in his early 20s." If he consciously rejected that premise, then he might have figured out even more.

I also figured out why I'm having a little difficulty with this storyline. In the comics, when people are tossed around in time, they don't usually worry very much about injuring causality. When the Justice League goes back in time to fight Vandal Savage during WWII, they'll fight Nazis in the meantime if they need to. There are plenty of characters, like Bishop in Marvel or Tom Tomorrow in Freedom City, who go back with the express purpose of changing history. In this thread, Icarus has been the only one who is consciously trying to change history or interact with historic characters, so I feel like I'm focusing on what I'm doing more than I'd like.

I'll be sure to state that up front next time, but I guess I'm a little confused. What was your motivation for joining in a time travel storyline if your main goals are to not change anything and to get back as soon as possible?

I can't speak for VM here, but I think for myself I'm caught between the tropes of two different time travel genres, the classic science fiction and the comic book. The classic sci-fi approach is usually in the form of a cautionary tale about the dangers of time travel, whereas in the comic book variety (and in some ways the Terminator films fall into this category), the timestream or whatever you call it is more elastic and people jump back and forth thru time willy-nilly. I think as players we are thinking more in terms of the dangers of time travel, which perhaps superfolk in a comic book world wouldn't be harping on so much.

As to why I personally wanted to do a time travel storyline, I guess I've always been interested in the genre (both versions) and wanted to give it a shot and see what happens, and hadn't given too much thought about what I would do in the past, other than maybe having Grim see her grandparents.

I can't speak for VM here, but I think for myself I'm caught between the tropes of two different time travel genres, the classic science fiction and the comic book. The classic sci-fi approach is usually in the form of a cautionary tale about the dangers of time travel, whereas in the comic book variety (and in some ways the Terminator films fall into this category), the timestream or whatever you call it is more elastic and people jump back and forth thru time willy-nilly. I think as players we are thinking more in terms of the dangers of time travel, which perhaps superfolk in a comic book world wouldn't be harping on so much.

As to why I personally wanted to do a time travel storyline, I guess I've always been interested in the genre (both versions) and wanted to give it a shot and see what happens, and hadn't given too much thought about what I would do in the past, other than maybe having Grim see her grandparents.

I had been going in with the more elastic view. If we were using chaos theory, "butterfly flapping in China causing a tsunami in Hawaii", and all that, it's doubtful that any of the characters who hadn't already been born would ever exist.

Since I don't want it to come as a surprise to the people in this thread, my plan for returning to the future will involve the future having been radically changed, and generally for the worse (giving some credence to those cautionary examples). We will have to spend some time there before we can go back and try to reverse the effects of the time traveling we're doing now. Since one of the biggest changes is Gravitor being saved, that will also have to be reversed... and that leads to conflict between Icarus and the others, which will probably also include Tom Tomorrow.

If any of the people in the thread have objections to this plan, please post to that effect here. Thanks.

I had been going in with the more elastic view. If we were using chaos theory, "butterfly flapping in China causing a tsunami in Hawaii", and all that, it's doubtful that any of the characters who hadn't already been born would ever exist.

Since I don't want it to come as a surprise to the people in this thread, my plan for returning to the future will involve the future having been radically changed, and generally for the worse (giving some credence to those cautionary examples). We will have to spend some time there before we can go back and try to reverse the effects of the time traveling we're doing now. Since one of the biggest changes is Gravitor being saved, that will also have to be reversed... and that leads to conflict between Icarus and the others, which will probably also include Tom Tomorrow.

If any of the people in the thread have objections to this plan, please post to that effect here. Thanks.

It's fine with me as well.

Now, speaking to Nanowire's seeming reluctance to change things. I feel that I'm simply playing him in character. I have no problem with Icarus going about and changing things, and I've actually been having fun just interacting. (I guess I'm one of those maladjusted social mutants that likes role playing over butt kicking :) )

The problem comes in when things need to be put back in order. I don't want to feel like I'm ganging up on you along with everyone else, as Ren will likely want things to go back to the way they were if the new future sucks. If he does see the opportunity to cure himself along the way, though, like if he can absorb something big and mechanical, (*wink wink*) then he'll be happy to do so.

Now, speaking to Nanowire's seeming reluctance to change things. I feel that I'm simply playing him in character. I have no problem with Icarus going about and changing things, and I've actually been having fun just interacting. (I guess I'm one of those maladjusted social mutants that likes role playing over butt kicking :) )

The problem comes in when things need to be put back in order. I don't want to feel like I'm ganging up on you along with everyone else, as Ren will likely want things to go back to the way they were if the new future sucks. If he does see the opportunity to cure himself along the way, though, like if he can absorb something big and mechanical, (*wink wink*) then he'll be happy to do so.

I'm ok with Nanowire deciding to gang up on Icarus. OOC, I recognize that what he'll be doing is wrong, and even he will recognize it at some level IC. His greatest flaw is that he's selfish. The world offers better things for him than the one he has, so he wants to try to fix that world than return to the one he had.

I had had a thought about what might have happened to Nanowire as a result of the time changes. I'll PM about it.

I'm ok with Nanowire deciding to gang up on Icarus. OOC, I recognize that what he'll be doing is wrong, and even he will recognize it at some level IC. His greatest flaw is that he's selfish. The world offers better things for him than the one he has, so he wants to try to fix that world than return to the one he had.

I had had a thought about what might have happened to Nanowire as a result of the time changes. I'll PM about it.

Which all makes sense, since he's an actual bad guy, as opposed to Nano who's been trying to be a bad guy, at least up until recently :)

Which all makes sense, since he's an actual bad guy, as opposed to Nano who's been trying to be a bad guy, at least up until recently :)

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned this to Heritage in the chat, but I'd like to move towards returning to the present. There's a PC waiting for us to come back in order to be introduced to the game, and I feel bad since I had thought he'd be in during the first week of February.

My current plan is to give Grimalkin a chance to meet her grandfather this evening and get further clues as to where they might find Icarus. The next morning, Icarus, Grimalkin, and Nanowire return to the present. Teke is marooned in time for a little longer before Tom Tomorrow comes along to help set things right.

Does anyone have objections to this? I really like the characterization I've seen in this thread, and I don't want to lose that, but there should be plenty to do in the present as well.