Mad Max (IC)

Aoiroo

The nights had been getting longer, and there was nothing natural about it. Even as the chill of Autumn set in while the sun was giving way to shortening days, it seemed that the darkness didn't even wait for it to sink below the horizon anymore. It was about seven, maybe a half hour until night fall, and Sil had already taken out three dealers on the streets she normally prowled, and things weren't going to get much better. Something in the market was changing, because they weren't slowing down and she doubted she was the only one throwing a wrench into their sales by night. In fact, it seemed that they were replacing the dealers and moving their product better then ever, dispite the effort of the street level heroes. It was quite frustrating, because it meant that just treating the symptoms wasn't going to bring them down anymore. Some investigating had to be done, and the only way to do it was to hit them straight at the source.

Greenbank was not an area Silhouette liked to roam often even in costume, but it was in fact the source of her current drug problems. The drug scene in the Fens was something that almost went without saying, but usually it was kept in the area because of the amount of cheap housing. Anything being outsourced was automatically classified bad news, especially if the dealers had the gull to expand their territories into possible mob owned areas. She also didn't like that she simply didn't know the area as well as she knew the Fens in general.

Walking along the warehouses, she kept to the shadows and was often against the walls, not that it mattered, there was absolutely no one around. It was eery really, usually she saw someone around. Reaching into her pocket she skimmed at the poorly written on crumpled paper with the address. Glancing around she moved a little more before finding a door to the particular building it supposedly indicated,

Maybe I should get a GPS?

Sighing, she glanced at the door quietly then at the address. This might of been the wrong place, but it couldn't hurt to look. Turning flat, she slipped under the bottom of the door and into the supposedly abandoned warehouse.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all that it looked like your average warehouse on the outside, the inside told a different story: well-lit and relatively clean, the place looked like a cross between a scrapyard, a mad scientist's workshop, and somebody's house. Off on the far end of the cement floor was a small collection of parts and bare metal, coils of wires stacked on top of tires stacked on top of cryptically-labeled crates. More towards the middle the place was organized, if still cluttered - a covered motorcycle leaned against one wall, while a couple fixed tables were covered in half-finished machines of some kind or another. Here was also what could only be called a testing area - the floor was scarred and chipped in places, long lines running through the cement like someone had filled a bomb with the world's sharpest razor blades and set it off for laughs.

The near end was less cluttered by far, and more...homey, almost. A couple rugs were spread on the floor, next to a worn couch and a chair or two. What probably passed for a small kitchen was tucked away near a spiral staircase up to what were probably lofted bedrooms; set into the wall nearby was a massive computer, multiple monitors running the odd video or equation-heavy analysis.

The lone other occupant of the warehouse was in front of that computer, arms crossed and tapping her foot, her back to the accidental intruder. Apparently she hadn't noticed anything yet, arms crossed and tapping her foot as she muttered something and watched a looping bit of recorded footage.

Okay, definitely not empty.

Flattened against the door here eyes gazing out, Sil tried to bring in everything at once. This place might of been at one time empty, but it certianly wasn't just a warehouse now as it was just, a house. Sure, there was a lab table, and several other things that screamed lair, but there was also stairs, a small kitchen she could see in the distance. She could feel it very clearly that she hadn't just broken into a warehouse or even a lair, she had just more or less waltz into someone else's home.

The awkwardness crept over her as she tried to survey it a bit more. Just a bit from the door she had slid under, she could partially see the hunched figure of someone in a computer chair. Did that person live here? Why was that person living in a warehouse, okay, well not a warehouse, it was almost definitely like a headquarters or lair. Still, it was a curious place to be living, especially in Greenbank, which probably led to one question, heroe or villian? Well, maybe that wasn't the real question, after all she did sort of come uninvited, still she moved a little bit against the wall and out of sight to get a good view. If it was a villian after all, she could report it's location to the authorities or something, if it was a hero, well she'd probably just leave. It was awkward enough with her being here.

Walking against the wall in the lab area, she glanced over some of the creations, they didn't look all that pleasant, mostly weapontry, given that didn't mean they were evil. The lot of it was pretty sophistocated though, so much so that it was all beyond her grasp of technological know how.

Probably a sign that I should leave.

Dragonfly was muttering to herself, tapping a finger on her arm as she watched the video over and over again. had better hopes - knew it wouldn't work but better would be nice - improvement less violent dismemberment of stand-in dummy - need to maintain straight projection - reshape projector? - could work - equation changes - not sure if-what?

Glancing up at a smaller picture-within-a-picture from one of her security cameras, getting a decent if poor-resolution view of her new guest. Immediately forgetting her glitch-induced frustrations, she barely stopped herself from spinning around and showing her face to the intruder, instead grabbing a bag off the table by its strap and ducking around behind a corner. More importantly, she gave the computer a sharp mental command that sent it into lockdown, every screen in the building turning a dark red. Across the rafters multiple small turret-like machines spun into view, electronic eyes over a weird assortment of antennae casting their gaze across the floor.

"Don't know who you are," came the voice from around the corner, along the the sound of someone desperately rummaging through a bag. "Don't know how you got in. Picked the wrong warehouse. Start talking."

If the sudden movement didn't tip her off, then the appearance of red lights in the corner of her vision did. She honestly half expected to be shot at, or to hear a blaring alarm, instead however, she heard a girl. Her voice came out commanding and confident, and of course threatening, probably with whatever was in that bag of hers, Sil however not being completely daft didn't come out immediately. Right around the corner she pressed herself against the wall flat as a shadow and peered around the corner at the girl. She didn't look happy certianly, but she also wasn't very threatening looking. The girl was probably just around Sil's height with blonde hair and dark blue eyes. Though not sickly, she was rather thin, and pale and sort of reminded her of how Allison looked whenever she was sick, which was strung out and generally sleep deprived. This probably didn't make what was in that bag any less dangerous, or make her trigger finger on it any slower, but she didn't really look like any villians she knew. Actually she sort of looked like a strawberry, but strawberrie's don't generally have places this nice or the gull to threaten someone in said place.

Letting out a breath she went over her options,

Let's see, running away, in this place, probably a security system, plus this chick has a bike. Fighting, no, that's not good either, half those gadgets are made for fighting and even if she just a plain old pistol in that bag I'd be screwed, which left.

"Okay, you got me."

Sliding off the wall and in full dimensions she held her hands up as she rounded the corner. She tried something like a helpless look, but through her full face mask there was no expression, it didn't cover up the sound of her sigh though.

"You're right, I did pick the wrong warehouse, given, I didn't think I'd find a place quite like this inside a warehouse."

She was very tempted to ask if the drug cartel she was looking for was the one next door, but there was still the slight possibility of her involvement in it.

Just in time, Dragonfly finally finding what she was after and pulled a pair of heavy, high-tech gauntlets out of the bag. She kept a careful eye on Sil as she got to her feet, taking a step or two back along the wall. keep her talking - buy time - hero villain thug gofer civilian - last two unlikely - powered - interesting effect - dimensional manipulation? - magic unlikely - technological device mutation accident innate ability

"Have to do better than that," she said, pulling her gauntlets on; she fired a mental command at them to get them starting up as she took another step back. "Mostly abandoned warehouses in the area. Limited genuine reasons to break into them. Highly coincidental you'd pick mine."

Well sh**,

Keeping close to the wall she looked at the girl prepare to attack with a pair of gauntlets that Sil probably doesn't ever want to touch. Her eyebrows were raised,

"Seriously, you think I'm in your warehouse on purpose? If that was really the case don't you think I might of stayed hidden a bit better, or you know not come out when you came calling. Besides what makes you so special that I would want to find you in the first place?"

Edging very slowly away as she talked she kept her hands to her side but was preparing to take the defensive if the girl took a shot at her. This girl was obviously very high strung and she didn't want to make any movements that could be mistaken for a sneak attack.

Something inside the gauntlets shifted and reconfigured as they finished their warm-up. For a brief moment the air around the metal silently crackled and twisted...but instead of discharging towards Sil, the distortion swept across their wearer's frame, leaving Dragonfly's costume in its wake. Only now did Dragonfly raise a hand to point at her 'guest'. "Am...not liked by many. Especially here. Sometimes they send someone to...mm." assassinate? warn? steal harm exploit bribe "...express displeasure."

trust her - honest face? - mask - actions inconsistent with most hostile visitors - verify? Frowning, little lights danced behind the visor, behind her eyes, as the computer around the corner hummed back to life and started a quick search based on what she knew so far. The half a minute or so of waiting was mostly Mexican standoff-style tense silence, but when the results finally came in she dropped her arm and sighed. good - thank goodness "Silhouette. May want to knock in the future."

Well if people here don't like her, that can mean both good and bad things. Someone is sending people after her, why?

This thought stuck until she remembered that this woman's gauntlets allowed her to change clothes with just a wave of her arm,

Okay, so why is not the real question, in this area more like who.

For a few seconds they just stood there, well at least the girl did, the computer however seemed to be reacting to something since it no longer had the red screened. It flickered for a second showing a flash of several websites before she finally let down her arms.

When the girl spoke, her voice sounded very relieved, which sort of relieved Sil as well because she had just realized that she had been holding her breath, however, there was still a question in her mind about the computer screens,

"Did you just google me?"

Dragonfly waved a hand, shrugging. "No - yes - no. Sort of. Several search engines, plenty of manual data-sifting. Computer has some filters, custom design - had to optimize for standard...nevermind. Not important." The little lights danced behind her eyes again, and the defense system apparently shut down - all the turrets settled back and rotated away, back to their hiding spots near the roof and walls. "Dragonfly. I am, I mean. Still curious - why break into my warehouse? Most locals avoid it. Hard-earned reputation."

Sorting through the techno babble, she recognized what she was trying to say, though it was pretty disjointed in the way it was presented. Either way, it was clear this girl was a smart cookie, or a technopath, either one fit the bill. Glancing up at the turrets as they retracted she looked back at her,

"I'm sure it was. I'm not really local, I hang around the Fens more often then not and sometimes make trips here but I don't really know the area. In short, my drug cartel is in another warehouse I guess."

Looking around she took another look at her set up,

"But yeah, I didn't really mean to break in on you, I didn't know anyone had a place, well quite like this out here. Otherwise I definitely would of knocked, sorry for spooking you like that."

Dragonfly sighed, making her way back to the computer. "Happens. I guess. Don't exactly have a sign out front. At least we got it sorted out before we killed each other. Tried to, anyway...progress. Mm."

Shaking her head, she waved a hand at the computer and it lit up with a large overhead map of Greenbank, assorted dots and labels scattered across the buildings and streets. "Drug cartel...." cartels - cartels - headquarters outposts crime scenes - filter Leaning back on a workbench and tapping a finger on her thigh, dots started to disappear in batches until only a handful were left. She sighed again, gesturing at the map. "Which one? Possibly not there. Hard to keep track of...clear them out when I have the time. If I can. Surprisingly well-armed sometimes."

She watched the girl work from behind as she pulled up the map then rather quickly sorted through possible locations,

Wow, that's really effinient, maybe I should try getting one of those. Not that I can afford half this stuff, great, now there's housing in Greenbank nicer then where I live.

"Well to be honest, it'd be good if we can hit all of them. They've been really agressive with moving there product recently. Every night I take out at least half a dozen of their dealers in the Fens only to find every one of them replaced on the same corner the very next night. Something is seriously up with these drug cartels."

Looking at the dots there weren't many, but much more then she'd expect to find. She really couldn't ignore them, usually she tries to take out and leave them in there stash houses for the police. But if she did all of these, it would certianly take some time.

"We?" Dragonfly tilted her head and looked at Silhouette, but finally shrugged and turned back to the map. "Sure...teamwork is efficient. Can hit more than a few. Noticed the market increase...unsettling. Neighborhood is bad enough already. Home, though. Could use some cleaning up."

She shook her head. first meeting to team-up - elapsed time... - almost a new record "Could hit them now...sounds like you were looking for them anyway? Mm. Could use the excuse to get out. Would you need time to prepare?"

Sil hadn't noticed that she had included the person almost immediately in her pronouns, but now that it was out there it sounded like a good idea. Glancing away from the computer, she let out a sigh since she knew she couldn't suggest taking any of the gadgets with her, since only the flat could go flat.

"No, I'm pretty much ready to go, I'll need you to lead though, since I don't really know my way around the area."

So, I broke into someone's house, got googled at the speed of light, and then decided to team up with this said person's house to take out several drug cartels most of whom I hadn't even been aware of.

Glancing to the bike almost unconciously, she let out a light sigh and smirked under her mask,

Yep, just another normal night here in Freedom City.

Dragonfly just replied with an "Mm." as she gave the map a final look before making her way to the warehouse door and unlocking it. She glanced wistfully at her bike, but shook her head. one helmet - close enough to walk - will do without - small talk practice? - always awkward Propping open the door, she waited until Sil was outside before closing it again, locking it, and making sure her security system was properly turned on this time.

She stuck her hands in her jacket pockets as they walked, leading the way down the familiar maze of streets. When she finally couldn't put up with the silence anymore, she coughed. "....so. Can flatten? Stealthy...demonstrated ability to get into secured buildings."

Silhouette followed behind Dragonfly and surveyed the area as she past. It would be a pretty darn good idea to figure out how to find her way around Greenbank if the recent drug activities continues to elevate. She might consider heading towards the docks too, but she wasn't THAT curious just yet, because she was sure that certian mobsters are content to shoot at shadows that look at them funny. When Dragonfly spoke it sort of woke her from her trance of trying to make a mental map of the area,

"Ohh, umm yes, it's very useful for that sort of thing. There aren't many places I can't access like that, unless you made all the doors and windows air tight which isn't very practical if you want anyone to actually be able to breath. It's also useful if I forget my keys."

The girl was a bit awkward in her approach, and her speech, but she was trying. Letting out a breath, she thought it might be appropriate to give a rebuttle,

"So, how long have you been out here in Greenbank?"

Dragonfly looked up, thinking. "Been in the city for...half a year? Or more. Difficult to tell. First arrived still...mm. Not important. Was just difficult to keep track of things like dates. Got the warehouse shortly after the Grue invasion. Cheap. Needed some repairs, owner was leaving. Mine now." There was no small amount of satisfaction in the way she said 'mine'.

She opened her mouth to say something else, but they'd turned the corner she was looking for and she pointed out a nondescript building on the other side of the road. "Cartel building - was closest. Mostly distribution, a little storage; some drugs, gang weapons, lightly-guarded. Hopefully. How do you want to proceed?"

Just after the Grue invasion, so she was in the city for half a year, by herself? It's possible, I didn't see anyone else there, plus she did only have one helmet for the bike. How old is she anyway?

While thinking this over she took an extra step after Dragonfly had stopped and pointed out the building. Looking it over, she began to move towards the wall,

"I'll go first, and see if you're intel is correct, I'll signal you if it's clear. If it isn't, well I'm sure you can figure it out since the thugs in this neighborhood never bother to use silencers."

She moved quietly and carefully to the building door before making her way to it's edge and flattening against the wall as she moved towards the door. Reaching around she felt through the cracks and found the place where the deadlock kept it closed and slipped quietly under it into the building.

It smelled, which was pretty standard, it had a mix of cigerette smoke and something else she couldn't immediately identify but her hand moved towards her face regardless. It was rather dimly lit, and there were a few guys just standing around. They didn't seem all the way there, one of them was completely passed out on the couch. On the table in front of them was powder, in the dim light it could of looked like heroine, but it seemed a bit greyish in tint. Moving closer against the wall, she kept quiet around the rather relaxed members of the drug cartel as she tried to examine the new drug.

The four standing thugs seemed to have invented a game of flicking burnt-out cigarette butts and bits of trash at the fifth, breathing shallowly on the couch. They were all completely and totally oblivious to Silhouette's presence, preferring instead to keep score in unnaturally calm, detached voices.

The powder on the table - which they'd obviously been making use of - had been cut through with some sort of fine grey substance, giving it the unusual hue and an odd mix of textures. As Sil watched, one of the thugs - somewhat better-armed than the rest - made his way over and availed himself of a bit, mumbling something about how it was the best stuff they'd seen in a long, long time. The others nodded, one of them commenting that it wasn't a surprise it was moving so fast.

Dragonfly stood out on the streetcorner, waiting. She wasn't awfully fond of waiting, but she took the opportunity to run some checks on her gear. should have grabbed new visor - almost complete - could have used time for field adjustments - too late now - will make do with inert model

She tapped a foot against the ground, a careful eye on the house Silhouette had vanished into. The longer she waited the more she tapped the foot; though it had barely been a few minutes she brought her force field up as a distorted line around her profile, checking her system to make sure the shield was on standby as well. just in case

Slipping out it took very little time for Sil to make it back out to the front of the building. She couldn't help but thing about that powder on the table. There was a pipe set next to it, but it didn't smell like they had been smoking weed, and it wasn't like she was going to taste it like they did on cop shows that was just stupid. Walking quietly, she sort of just stood at the door in full form and waved her hand like she was fanning herself for the international sign for her to come on over.

Dragonfly trotted across the street, tilting her head as she quietly came up beside Silhouette. "Place checks out?" she asked, as quietly as she could. Already she was studying the door - calculating how much force it'd take to break in if necessary, how many easy exits the house probably had, possible layouts given the neighborhood and style. She didn't expect much of a fight, but it never hurt to consider the angles.

"Yeah, they are really mellowed out, I think they're on something, be careful."

Reaching her hand past the door frame into the room it went unnoticed as she slid the crank that undid the deadlock,

"Beauty before age,"

Taking a few steps back she pulled the door open and kept herself flattened against it as she did. Doors attached to warehouses owned by drug cartels were almost guarenteed to be bullet proof and she was not going to take her chances.

"Hmph," was all she said as she entered the building. tactics? - shock and awe - maybe get some answers before it's over

Carefully making her way towards hushed voices, she paused, took a deep breath, and turned around the corner. Throwing a hand up and firing a twisting distortion, like someone has cut apart space and reassembled it in all the wrong order, at the nearest thug; he barely had time to turn around before collapsing in a heap. so far so good