Rooftop Meetings (IC)

"Our abilities are different," Heyzel clarified, "but our powers spring from the same Heavenly well. It's the difference between..." He hmmed for a moment. "Between a powerful amplifier and a skilled musician. Both do valuable work for their field, they simply do it in very different ways. And truthfully, both are far better together, if they ever hope to reach the people that need them." He didn't offer which was which; he was familiar enough with human social graces to know that the wrong choice would be insulting. "Fighting is something we all hope to avoid. I've seen enough violence, both in the hereafter and here, to know that it's not a true solution, not to the underlying problems of the world. And I would like some coffee, please," he said politely. "I'll have the Baileys as well, if you've enough."

"Oh, I can mix it up when I need to," Stesha assured Gabriel cheerfully. "I've made a few criminals reconsider their life choices while a few animated trees give them a clobbering. But a lot of heroes in this town are good at using necessary force, and not as many are as good at patching things and people up afterwards. I like to try and fill the spaces that have need of me. And I just enjoy it so much more when I spend an evening beautifying parks than when I'm out chasing bad guys. Both jobs are necessary, so I try to go where the need is greatest. Do you do hero work full time, or do you have a day job as well?" she asked Gabriel. "You don't have to give any details." Stesha poured the irish cream into three mugs while she waited for the coffee, and began serving it up as soon as the pot began to brew. "Heyzel, would you mind serving the cake?"

Gabriel smiles and nods at the cup once it's passed to him.

"As far as force...One blessing of my...hm. Let's call it my greatly amplified people skills. One advantage of that is I've defused a lot of bad situations with just words. My costume's not very scary, so that helps a lot."

A frown flickers across his face, before his smile resumes, albeit subdued.

"Lot of them are kids. Teens, I suppose, but even as young as I am, they're kids. Some of them are just making bad choices. Some don't feel like they have any choice. I try to help them see the light one way or another. I think I've managed to do that with at least a few."

He goes silent for a moment as he sips the coffee and Irish cream.

"Mm. Quite good, thank you again. As for the hero work, it's part time. I do hold another job, where I feel I get to help a lot of lives as well. Helping shape futures and all."

Heyzel cut the cake and served, gladly making sure that everyone had enough. "People skills are what the job is all about. Whether you're handling them roughly or gently," he added. "Even if there's a battle you can't join, helping the innocent escape to safety is as valuable as cleaving any robot from beyond the stars in twain" He was quiet for a few moments, eating, before he said, "If you're interested in support from the League, let us know. They won't admit anyone on the say-so of one member," he added, "not even mine. I tried to encourage them to admit Bombshell, the former thief, but they would have none of me," he added. "It can be a challenge sometimes to deal with people who don't understand where your powers come from. Have you worked with anyone inspired by the pagan pantheons?"

"That's so nice," Stesha said, taking a generous forkful of her cake. "A lot of heroes are teachers in their everyday lives, it seems. I met another one just the other day who is a college professor, and my fiance teaches some high school classes. Maybe it's the heroic impulse to make a difference, the two occupations go hand in hand naturally." She didn't answer Heyzel's question about different pantheons, she knew perfectly well he was already familiar with Moira.

Gabriel accepted the cake, eating quietly for a couple of minutes.

"I agree about people skills, for sure. Probably why I was gifted the way I was. Um. Well, I can understand why the League wouldn't just take any so-called hero off the street, as much as I appreciate you vouching for me. I suppose having the contacts is never a bad thing."

A distracted frown crossed his face at Heyzel's next question.

"No, I haven't. In a more mundane sense, I've met and worked with people who don't share my faith, and are sometimes rather opposed to it. I try not to let it get to me, and focus on being a witness in deeds, not words. That, and generally avoiding the subject helps, too. I suppose I'd just have to apply the same principles in hero work. "There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio" and all that."

He set the cake down and sipped more coffee, nodding at Stesha's words.

"Perhaps it is. I think that's what it is for me, at any rate. Though there's a bit of the question of the "chicken and the egg", as it were."

"It's helpful to remember that they're doing the Creator's work too, even if they don't know it," said Heyzel gently. "Those who pass to Olympus or Valhalla have made their choices, and are beyond our concern. Our concern is with the here and now, and building a kingdom of men and women on Earth worthy of what lies after. If you're interested in volunteer work," he said, changing subjects smoothly, "I can arrange something for you through my church, and I know Stesha knows many people. There really is something remarkably satisfying about the simple act of Creation, especially what she does, when it's in the name of making the place a sweeter one for all who live here."

Gabriel seems to consider it, then shakes his head.

"Perhaps at a later date. I already find my time rather stretched most days, between my official job, some of my own volunteer work, and my hero work. If I tried to take on more, it would likely be somewhat unhealthy."

He smirks.

"Even the saintliest human needs rest and time off."

When he thought they'd pushed the limits of Stesha's hospitality as far as it would go, Heyzel thanked her for her time and turned to Gabriel. "Where shall I return you to?" he enquired. "I can take you anywhere in the world, or anywhere in the city. It would not be proper for us to leave Fleur's apartment by the door: you understand?" he asked. Heyzel was not a subtle being, no angels were, but he was trying his best to be here. He didn't really understand why superheroes used secret identities, but he respected the institution enough to guard his friend's privacy.

"Goodnight," Stesha said pleasantly, rising to see them off. "It was nice to meet you. Oh, here, let me give you one of my cards." She reached into the nearest flower, a feat that didn't look possible, especially since her hand disappeared to the wrist, and withdrew a small business card marked with the name "Fleur de Joie" and a cell phone number. It smelled faintly of flowers, much like the heroine herself. "If you ever need anything, just give me a call, all right? If I can't help, I can put you in touch with someone who can. You don't have to be alone out there."

Heyzel quirked an eyebrow. "A more specific request than I have usually been in a position to grant, but if you tell me of the place, I can get you there. My ability to travel quickly is less a matter of gross teleportation, but rather a speed so great as to break all the laws of mortal physics." He listened intently as Gabriel described the place, then took his hand. "Come, let us go. Thank you again for the help, Fleur." He smiled at Stesha, and added, "You've planted another seed in your garden of friends, soon to grow into a blossom of allegiance."

Heyzel quirked an eyebrow. "A more specific request than I have usually been in a position to grant, but if you tell me of the place, I can get you there. My ability to travel quickly is less a matter of gross teleportation, but rather a speed so great as to break all the laws of mortal physics." He listened intently as Gabriel described the place, then took his hand. "Come, let us go. Thank you again for the help, Fleur." He smiled at Stesha, and added, "You've planted another seed in your garden of friends, soon to grow into a blossom of allegiance."
Gabriel nodded, and proceeded to describe the address, floor, and interior of his apartment to Heyzel.

"So long as we end up at the right place, I figure it's not a bit deal."

He smiled as he waited for the angel of Freedom to activate his fascinating ability.

In a flare of gentle light, they were at the door to Gabriel's apartment, though not inside. "I didn't think it proper to take myself inside your home," said the angel gently. "You're on a better path than you were before. It's your choice to decide if you walk down it." As they said their final words, and the angel departed, again he remembered among the last things he'd heard from Gavriel. Gavriel had told him that aid in his mission on Earth would be impossible given the Pact, that such assistance would only come "If Creation faces the risk of total annihilation." It was a good thing the angel didn't sleep.

Gabriel nodded.

"Thank you for the trip. And consider yourself welcome in the future. Though...advance warning is good too."

He smirked a bit at that, giving the angel one final handshake.

"I intend to walk that path, Heyzel. Good evening to you, and God Bless."

After the angel left, he fished his keys out from a pocket in his coat. Quickly, he stepped inside.

"Well Lord, I get the message. I just need to keep the faith, and stay the course."

With a happy whistle, Carson went about preparing himself for a somewhat earlier turn-in that night. Wouldn't hurt to get some extra sleep.