April, 2024

Nighttime.

Claremont Academy usually had relatively peaceful nights. While there were plenty of super-powered kids and some of them were trouble makers, the school as a whole had enough activities that they rarely 'acted out', so to speak; between lessons of schooling and lessons of using powers.

There were a few exceptions. One of these was Sam Durado, who had more than a little habit of leaving when she got too frustrated with the school. She was never gone long, but it had been a consistent issue, enough that she was starting to get a bit of a reputation for sneaking out at night and going off on her own- and often missing a few morning classes in the way. What Sam had not been expecting was for Michael to be waiting for her.

This had devolved into an angry argument outside the dorm that people were very strenuously trying to avoid, not wanting to get between the two best friends having an argument on the dorm; this wasn't a full on fight, after all, it was just an argument.

At least it was, until Sam stomped on Michael's foot and flew off while he was still cursing over the underhanded move.

"Sam! Come on!" he yelled at her leaving back. "...You gotta be kidding me." he sighed, looking up into the sky.

That is the scene that Mizuki and Vueriz ended up wandering into as Michael ran a hand through his hair and let out another swear.

"...Oh...hey you two." he mumbled, offering a small wave.

Torpedo Lass II

Mizuki was putting in some extra curricular work on her laptop, designing new concepts for costume variants for different mission profiles... but when she looked over the budgeting she was scratching her head for solutions. It caused enough frustration for her to close her laptop up and just head out of the dorms, with her costume on. A swim seemed like a good way to clear the head. But the sound of arguing changed her course and heading. She noticed Michael had just had yet another confrontation with Sam... a known quantity in the dorms.

"Let me guess... unstoppable force met the immovable object?" Mizuki said, resting a hand on her hip. "Was thinking of hoppin' into the ol' Atlantic in a little bit to get to know the terrain a bit better. Or at least get familiar with sea currents offshore. Practice never hurt. Buuut... thought I'd check in on ya first. See if things are cool."

She stretched noticing Vueriz. "Hi V. Didn't expect you'd be out and about. What's up?"

Edited by The Sailor

(Golden Star Post)

"Uhh...yeah." Michael said to Mizuki, shaking his head. He was clearly frustrated and he rubbed his face with his hands as he thought about what to say. When he finished rubbing his face he looked up into the sky.

"Some of the teachers asked me to check on her because she wasn't turning in her homework. She's smart enough to do it all, she just...well she's strong-willed, I suppose that's the way to say it. And I don't think she's adapting well here. it's sort of my fault we're here in the first place, and she didn't want to change schools even if it was for the best. We've been friends for awhie, but I feel like I haven't managed to be a good friend lately. We had a big fight after we got back from uh...well the past. And I don't know that we ever got over it. Things have just been strained lately. I'm sorry if we caused you some issues, or if she's caused you problems in the dorms. She's a great friend, really." he said seriously. "But, thanks for checking in, Mizuki." he gave a smile that was a lot less open and forceful than his usual ones, more lopsided and awkward. He offered a wave to Vueriz as well.

"Hey Vueriz. Sorry if we bothered you. How are you holding up?"

Blue Bolt

Vueriz had been planning a bit of truancy herself and quickly commanded her board to float around a corner when she spotted Michael. Instead she stood there awkwardly, dressed in her costume for the tail end of the argument as well as Mizuki and Michael's brief talk, when both turned to her. 

"Uh, hi guys. I was just going to go for a walk. With my gadgets. Test the uh, cushioning in my new boots. And the way my belt sits. Yes." She cleared her throat, awkwardly. "Should we go after her?"

Torpedo Lass II

"I think it might be best for Sam to vent off on her own. Having another person get into her business might just exacerbate matters."

She looked around. "And don't worry... if the administration is fine with me heading out to do some research for a geology class report on underwater formations on the continental shelf, I'm sure doing some gear maintenance is fine. With all the times we've been out getting into super powered entanglements lately we should have all been expelled."

Mizuki shrugged. "Not that I want to test the patience of the administration. I always make sure I got a cover for my time outside. I mean if I rescue some boaters while doing some water samples for a report on PH values near Freedom City... I just call that creative multitasking, right?"

"Almost makes me think they want us to have this whole 'double life' thing figured out..."

She snaps out of it. "Oh sorry... right... Sam... To be honest we've been through..." she sighed. "A lot. Some of us are coping better than others. Could use some moment to bring the classes together and have some fun time before the school year ends. Hopefully this time no trouble finds us."

"That... and some of us still need swimming lessons that I owe some assistance in... My work never ends..."

Edited by The Sailor

(Golden Star Post)

"Yeah...Isn't that the truth." Michael agreed. "It's not a big deal that she's leaving, but the fact she just heads off on her own without telling anyone and sometimes doesn't come back in time for class is concerning. She's...well she deserves better than that. And I want to help her but maybe you're right that I'm just pressuring her too much, instead I should just let her handle it her way...I've actually been pretty lucky finding great friends like you two, and I think she's struggling a lot more." he said, smiling at both of them genuinely.

"And...yeah. We've been...arguing lately. We used to only pick at each other but we've had actual arguments. When we got back from 'Vacation' we had a yelling fight; she was mad she didn't get to go, I was exhausted from the fact I had to help hold down Paradigm, among all the other things that happened, and her complaining that she 'didn't get to go' made me angry for a moment. I shouldn't have lashed out at her. I apologized for it, but I still feel bad for lashing out. She just wanted to be involved." He noted, frowning. "Plus, I don't think she's getting along with her squad, the other three are excluding her apparently." He shook his head.

"Sorry, I'm dumping garbage on you two that isn't even mine to share. I just feel bad about it." he stomped his foot. "Honestly, I could go for a fly or a swim myself. Maybe we should all head down to the pier? Might be nice to do some night flying or night swimming, respectively."

Torpedo Lass II

Naomi sighed. "Might as well. The local Coast Guard branch appreciates my help. Even if it is just towing floatsam and jetsam out of shipping lanes." She said as stretched. "Plus I keep an eye on the bridges in case someone... you know... has a bad night."

She scratched her head. "Not sure how to describe it."

Edited by The Sailor