It is Black and It’s Hollow and It’s Cold

Bayview

Freedom City, New Jersey

Sunday February 18, 2024, 10:28 PM

Bernadette was riding in the back of an Uber as it passed through one of the nicer neighborhoods of Bayview, with large, old houses that were separated from each other by large lots that afford considerable privacy. The redheaded teen was hardly paying attention as she looked out the window. Now that she was alone in the shadows of the Tesla Model 3, tears were running down her cheeks, as she finally began to allow herself to feel the pain she had not that long ago experienced in the timeline she and several other Claremont students had found themselves trapped in during the 1993 Terminus Invasion.

She had spent much of the past hour providing an account of what had occurred in that timeline to a member of the Freedom League, and then some time with a Claremont counselor. The Irish teen had been able to keep herself collected and the emotions in check. She did not want to talk with the counselor about them, at least not yet. She was almost too where she hoped to find the person she really wanted to talk to right now, assuming he had not gone out on patrol.

The Tesla pulled up in front of the mansion that served as the headquarters for the Young Guardians and the redhead quickly climbed out of the back, completing the transaction on her phone she made her way to the front door. The teen was still dressed in the clothes she had been wearing on the return trip from Fiji, save for the grey hoodie, black jeans and a black tank top. Her already torn black jeans had more tears, and there were a few cuts and bruises on her bare arms, and both her arms and her clothes were covered in soot and dust, in addition to several patches of dried blood on her clothes, though not all of it was her own.

Bernadette was already through the front door when the Uber pulled away, making her way through the main entrance, she headed towards the concealed door that would lead her down the secret portions of the mansion. At this time of night, if Charlie was not out patrolling, there was a good chance he would be down at the supercomputer, engaged in some research or another for things he was looking into for the team to possibly get involved in.

Soon the redhead had reached the room, the door sliding open to reveal the wall of monitors that filled the otherwise dim room with a bright glow. Sure enough, Charlie was seated in front of them, his back to the door.

"Charlie." Bernadette said, her voice lacked its normal cheerful tone (or even a more seductive one she might use in private), instead, it was laced with emotional pain, as fresh tears started running down her face….

The STORMCROW

It's a quiet night, for once. Nothing on the scanners, nothing worth going out on patrol for or anything, so Charlie has been spending the evening and night so far, so time to work some personal projects, while the rest of the people in the mansion sleeps or does whatever they do at night.

He barely even heard Bernadette enter, as she raised her voice. He turns around immediately, the concern visible on his face as he sees her. 

"Bernie? What's happened?" 

Charlie is on his feet almost before he talks, moving across the room towards her.

Multi-Girl

Bernadette met Charlie halfway across the room, throwing her arms around him and hugging him as she buried her face onto his right shoulder and sobbed. Charlie could feel her entire body quiver as she hugged him, perhaps a bit harder than she intended. Thankfully that was brief, before she relaxed, and just rested against him as she cried for a moment.

Eventually, she lifted her head back up, her left hand brushing some red hair out of her face as her tear-filled green eyes looked into Charlie's blue ones. "I…I felt them die."

The STORMCROW

Charlie's eyes go wide when Bernie all but tackles him, wrapping her arms tightly around him. This is not the Bernie he is used to. This is not... This is Bernie who needs him. He has already noticed her state. Scrapes, cuts, bruises, blood, but she can handle that normally. This is... This is different.

He wraps his arms around her, holding her close, letting her cry. Letting her know that he is there, that he has her, that she is not alone.

When she stops for a moment to explain, he looks down at her. Confused at first, then understanding. "Do you mean..." He pauses, not sure if he wants to even say it, but he has to. "One of your duplicates?" 

He can't even begin to imagine what it would be like...

Multi-Girl

The tension in Bernadette's body seemed to fade some as Charlie held her and her breathing relaxed. She did not let go of him, but it no longer felt like she was clinging on for dear life. The Irish teen still felt the pain and emptiness inside that had seemed to be screaming at her for hours, but now it seemed a bit more distant, Charlie's presence helping to quiet it some.

At his question to confirm what she had meant, the redhead nodded slight. "Yes." She said quietly, closing her eyes as another tear ran down her cheek and she rested the side of her head on a shoulder, her forehead up against his chin. "It…felt as if a part o’ me was torn away."

The STORMCROW

What do you even say to someone that has lost a part of themselves like that? That kind of trauma? Charlie has been hurt before, but nothing like what Bernie must have experienced...

"I'm here," he says, holding her close. "I'm right here. Just hold on to me."

"What happened? I thought you were at Fiji with the other Claremonters?"

Multi-Girl

Bernadette took several deep breaths as she did as Charlie suggest, just holding on to him as he held her close. After a few moments, she let out a breath as she began to answer.

"We were on the way back an’'some cosmic entity intercepted the portal, shuntin' us off ta…" She paused, trying to recall how she had heard the Headmistress and Leage members refer to what they believed might have happened. "I think they believe it was some sort o' alternate dimensions or timelines."

"Anyway, Neko, Owain, Rosalind an' I, along with a couple o' juniors an' two sophomores, ended up in the middle o' the 1993 Terminus Invasion." She squeezed a bit tighter again as new tears ran down her cheek.

The STORMCROW

"The Terminus Invasion?" 

Charlie blinks for a moment. Time travel. Cosmic entities. Even with everything he's seen and experienced that is... a lot. 

"Did you... your dupe I mean... did you end up caught up in all that?"

Multi-Girl

"Almost immediately after we arrived in this other timeline, we encountered some members o' FORCE Ops. We were just fingurin' out where we were when the invasion started. There was no where ta run ta, so we tried ta help out." Bernadette replied, as she allowed herself to just relax as she rested against Charlie. Her emotions were still something of a whirlwind inside her, but Charlie was helping to provide something of a calming presence.

But even as she was feeling a bit more relaxed, she also had a feeling of exhaustion that was starting to catch up with her. "Charlie….I don' want ta pull ya away from whatever your workin' on, but I’m exhausted….an' I don' feel like bein' alone right now." The redhead said quietly.

The STORMCROW

Force Ops and Omega and... This is way outside what any of them should be able to deal with yet, and Bernie and the other students got into that kind of trouble already? Charlie frowns as he holds her close, but doesn't let her see it. He will have to get in touch with Ms. Summers. She needs to do something to keep them safe and... it doesn't matter right now.

Bernie is here, and she needs him.

"Hey, come on. Do you really think I'd choose this work over you?"

It isn't anything important, and even then...

"C'mon. I'll be right here with you."

Multi-Girl

Bernadette gave Charlie a small smile as she allowed him to lead her out of the room and back towards the upper levels of the mansion….

Monday February 19, 2024, 1:13 PM

The Irish teen was in the mansion’s gym, dressed in a pair of black yoga pants and light grey workout tank-top that left her midsection bare. There were still several bruises, scrapes and cuts visible on her arms and other exposed skin as she was hitting one of the punching bags in one corner of the training area.

Last night it had not taken too long for her drift off to sleep due to exhaustion, Charlie's reassuring presence had helped considerably as well. She had woken up once in the early morning hours from a nightmare, but Charlie had been right awake as well to comfort her and help her get back to sleep.

But when the morning had come, the pain and emptiness was back, perhaps not as strongly as last night but certainly there. Even with Charlie around to comfort her, Bernadette had not felt like doing anything but lie in bed all morning. She probably would not have eaten anything had Charlie not made her a late breakfast and brought it to her in bed.

Eventually she had forced herself to get up and decided to go down to the gym to see if some exercise might help. But as she began using the punching bag, she felt the turmoil inside shift to anger, as her kicks and punches became harder and faster. Blow after blow landed on the heavy bag, jarring it as she continued to lash out, seeing in her mind the countless Omegadrones and other horrors from the Terminus as she faced less than twenty-four hours ago.

"Aaaaaaaah!" She finally yelled out as she delivered a powerful right punch that finally snapped the chain holding up the bag and sending it flying back more than a dozen feet. She bent over, putting her hands on her knees as she caught her breath and closed her eyes, fighting back tears.

GHULE

Vik walked into the gym, sipping from a sports bottle she found in the kitchen, a towel thrown casually across her shoulder. She was ready to hit the gym with a vengeance: Charlie had shown her around during his mansion tour, but she was quite eager to get back into shape. She hadn't thought much about how her body would respond if she stopped working out entirely; after all, she did not sweat. Strangely, as long as she maintained her diet of at least one pound of raw meat per day, her physique didn't change, but why risk it? Questions of zombie metabolism were largely beyond Vik's limited experience of the world, but she knew working out felt great, and that's all that was important to her. 

Uncharacteristically, Vik was dressed in a hot pink Hello Kitty t-shirt (perhaps an ironic statement) and black stretchy shorts. She walked into the gym just as Bernie's punch caused the punching bag to go flying. What the hell did I walk into? Hope it's not a spat with Charlie...I don't want to get into any drama, especially since I just moved in. But I should at least ask what's bugging her...

"Hey, uhh, Bernie?" Vik asked, walking into the gym facility but keeping her distance. "What's going on? I mean, you can talk to me about it if you want to. If you don't feel like talking about it, though, I could definitely use a spotter," she said, offering her an out if whatever was going on was too much to discuss. "Used to lift some heavy iron back in juvie," she said with a wry grin and flexed her biceps. Her arms were very skinny, but some muscle showed through. "Well, you know. Before all this."

Edited by Lone_Star

Multi-Girl

Bernadette heard Vik's voice, and reached up with one hand to wipe at some of the sweat on her forehead, which allowed her to also brush away the tears that had been forming. Standing upright, the redhead turned to look over to Vik, managing a faint smile.

"Hey Vik," she replied, "I'm…just dealin' with some things from yesterday. Wouldn' want ta burden you with any o' that."

When Vik mentioned needing a spotter, the Irish teen gave a small nod and started over towards her teammate. "Shoor, be happy ta help with spots. I'll be honest, ever since my powers activated at the end o' my Freshman year, I have not really had ta do much in the way o' liftin' but still am stronger than an Olympic weightlifter. Not that it shows." Bernadette said holding her arms out to the side. While she did have an athletic and lithe figure, she did not look like someone able to lift a ton.

• 2 weeks later...

GHULE

Vik gives Bernie a rapid glance but looks away just as quickly, abashed. "I mean, you have a nice figure. We're both superheroes, so appearances can definitely be deceiving. If we were both, well, regular, we'd probably look like those ladies on American Gladiator if we could lift what we do," she said with a small chuckle. "I'm still a string bean. I guess whatever turned me into this just kept me the way I looked before." 

"But anyway, let's start out easy. Let's say, 500 pounds?" Vik rolls her arms and does some simple, quick callisthenic exercises to warm up before lying on a nearby bench press. "By the way, you aren't a burden. We're friends, so, if there's anything on your mind, we can talk about it. Or, if you'd prefer, we can just pump some iron like the badass superhero babes we are." 

It made her nervous to think she was intruding on Bernie's personal life, but she was obviously going through some stuff. Why shouldn't she be there for her friend and teammate? 

Multi-Girl

Bernadette gave a slight chuckle as Vik mentioned what the two of them would likely look like to be able to lift anywhere near as much as they could if they were "normal." Of course, the examples where not exactly what Bernadette would consider normal either. "That’s okay, I'll pass on that." The redhead said with a smirk. She then started helping Vik get 500 pounds onto the bar for the bench press.

The Irish teen was quiet as she stepped over to the top of the bench to spot Vik, thinking about what the other girl said about no being a burden and willing to listen. She felt a bit conflicted, on one hand, she still did not know Vik all that well, but…she was a friend and her teammate, and even Charlie had wanted to start with no secrets among the team (other than the ones that were not his to share of course). She also felt a bit guilty about dumping emotion a baggage on Vik, but, how could they really get closer if they kept things from each other.

After Vik had done her first set, Bernadette gave her a look, more quiet and a bit…uncertain, than the redhead normally was. "Well, if your shoor you don' mind….late yesterday afternoon, while we were returnin' from Fiji, some o' the other Claremont students an' I ended up in the middle o' somethin' far over our heads. An'…while tryin' ta get through it, I felt one o' me duplicates die." Bernadette felt the cold emptiness inside as she spoke, taking a deep breath to help hold back the tears she felt wanting to form in corners of her eyes.

GHULE

Vik grunted as she lifted the weights over her head. She hadn't worked out for a long time, but she knew she could lift so much more. These powers still felt strange to her, but they were certainly useful. It felt good to have friends again, though, people who wouldn't ostracize her because of her...differences. 

As she finished up her first set, she heard what Bernadette had to say. "Oh," was all she could muster for a moment. Memories of her own death started to flood back into her mind. The feeling of helplessness, combined with the surety that her life was going to end at such a young age. And that laugh...that horrible laugh of Baron Samedi as he watched it happen. 

Then Vik did something she hadn't done since before her first stint in juvie: she suddenly embraced Bernadette in a huge bear hug. She eventually let go, and tears were streaming down her face. Vik angrily wiped them away, trying as she might to hide her emotional vulnerability. 

"I, uh. I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone I, well..." she said, trailing off. "But I know how you feel. I mean, that sounds like what everyone says, but I really know what you're going through, and it ####ing sucks." She sighed in frustration, trying to find the right words. "Look, I'm not good at talking about stuff. But for what it's worth, it can be really scary. That feeling, you know? But it gets easier, at least I think so. Having friends helps...having a place to stay and really be yourself. Knowing there's people around you that care. It'll be okay Bernie, but it will take time."

Multi-Girl

Bernadette was caught slightly off guard when Vik suddenly stood up and gave her a big hug. She tensed for a moment, then relaxed and gave Vik a hug back. When the other girl finally let go, the redhead had a tear down one side of her face as well and was surprised to see the tears in Vik’s eyes.

"Yer secret is safe with me." The Irish teen replied, managing a slight grin before listening to Vik mention her own experience with what Bernadette was going through.

"Well, actually, most o' those I have spoken with since yesterday have actually not tried ta say they know what it's like." Bernadette began. "But, I get what you mean."

"It is like a hollow emptiness inside." She then continued, taking a seat on another beach. "When it happened, I wasn' really able ta process it. We were in the middle o' the f@#&in' 1993 Terminus Invasion an' I needed ta keep goin' ta protect my friends an' the younger students that were with us. But now….it isn' quite as bad as it was last night, but it's still there."

The redhead wiped away some tears as she went on. "I mean, there is a lot we don' fully understand about my duplicates. What if I have lost part o' me soul? Will I continue ta lose pieces o' it if this happens again? An'…it's not somethin' I make a big deal about, but I’m Catholic, can I really be in God's grace if I am not whole?"

GHULE

Vik sat down next to Bernie and listened to her experience carefully. There was a lot that she didn't know, even having briefly crossed the bridge of death herself and returned, but no one could say they came back unchanged. Certainly, the two of them were no exception. 

"I don't know about all that, Bern. That's a question for a smarter person than me, questions of the soul and all that. I think as long as you're still you, that part of you that's still a hero, then your soul is still whole. I don't make a big deal out of this either," she says, and retrieves a silver Star of David necklace from her shirt, and shows it to Bernadette. "But you fought heroically. That's gotta count for something in the end, y'know? It's more difficult for people like us, not superheroes, but people of faith...we gotta think about these things. But I think that the good actions we do in this life reflect on our soul, and you've got a good one, Bernie." 

"So...even though we've gotta live with our experiences, good and bad, it's the choices we make that define who we are." 

Edited by Lone_Star

The STORMCROW

"Wouldn't that fall under self sacrifice for the greater good or something like that?" Charlie asks from the doorway, where he is standing with his arms crossed, wearing a pair of dark grey sweat pants and a sleeveless black shirt. How long has he been there, how much has he heard? Who knows. "Hey Vik."

He moves closer to Bernie and tasks her hand, squeezing it tightly. "You're you, right? I really don't know the tenets, or rules or... well, whatever its all called, but you were hurt, right? It was something done to you, while you were trying to keep other people safe. If anything, shouldn't that make you a martyr?"

Edited by RocketLord

Multi-Girl

Bernadette looked at the Star of David Vik pulled out and quietly listened to her thoughts, giving her a small smile. "Thank you fer sharin' that. You may be right, I certainly hope you are. All I can really do is keep goin' with the faith that it will all be considered in the end."

When Charlie suddenly spoke up from the door, the redhead just gave a small grin, not showing any signs of being surprised by his sudden appearance. Glancing up at him as he came over to take her hand, Bernadette gave a light squeeze in return. "I'm doin' okay. Figured spendin' all mornin' in bed was more than enough." She replied.

The Irish teen then considered what he had to say about her being a martyr. "I'm certainly no expert either, but not shoor it quite works that way. I believe that my duplicate would have needed ta be killed out o' hatred o' my faith. An' I think there is somethin' about willin' acceptance o' that sufferin'." She responded.

GHULE

Vik could not contain her surprise as Charlie suddenly appeared"Woah! Hey, good morning to you, too," she said, thrown off momentarily. How the hell did he do that?!

"I think we could debate all day and not quite know the answer. I'm not opposed to that, but it feels like it's weighing pretty heavily on you. So, maybe we talk about it after our workout? I know your kitchen is fully stocked with post-workout smoothie stuff, probably better to talk it over once we're in cooldown mode." Vik's stomach growled. Although the smoothies were very tasty, she was ready for her post-workout steak. Though her conversation about her dietary needs was a bit awkward, Charlie made her feel like it was as normal as mentioning a peanut allergy or being vegan. 

"Hey, I've got an idea! Wanna spar?" To illustrate her request, she formed two bony MMA-style boxing gloves around her hands and threw a few punches in the air. "Gotta warn you, I wasn't one to mess with on the exercise yard. Had to learn to defend myself pretty quickly!"

The STORMCROW

"Don't look at me," Charlie says, holding up his hands. "I'm agnostic."

Well, maybe no strictly agnostic, but he honestly doesn't know what he believes there.

"Our kitchen," Charlie tries to correct Vik. "C'mon, it's not just my place. I really try to make that clear, don't I?"

Looking back and forth between Bernie and Vi, he throws his hands up again. "Sure, but I'd like to point out that I'm the only one here that doesn't have some kind of super strength, so, y'know, maybe try to not hit me too hard in the face?" He is grinning anyway. Maybe this'll help lift Bernie's spirit a bit, not that he blames her. Still, he's more used to fighting with his staff than without, so maybe he should just focus on none of them taking his head off?

Multi-Girl

Bernadette gave a small smirk at Charlie’s response to Vik's suggestion of some sparring. "Poor dear." She replied with a grin. "Luckily, I do like your face tha way it is." She then added as she stood back up.

The redhead walked over towards the open space in the gym that was set up with mats for sparing or tumbling. Opening a cabinet along the wall, she took out some padded MMA style gloves for herself as she walked out onto the mats. "So, we take it light an’ body blows only?" She asked, looking back at the other two.

On 4/15/2024 at 3:17 AM, RocketLord said:

"Our kitchen," Charlie tries to correct Vik. "C'mon, it's not just my place. I really try to make that clear, don't I?"

Looking back and forth between Bernie and Vi, he throws his hands up again. "Sure, but I'd like to point out Kithat I'm the only one here that doesn't have some kind of super strength, so, y'know, maybe try to not hit me too hard in the face?" He is grinning anyway. Maybe this'll help lift Bernie's spirit a bit, not that he blames her. Still, he's more used to fighting with his staff than without, so maybe he should just focus on none of them taking his head off?

GHULE

"Alright, fine fine. Our kitchen. It's still so difficult to get used to the fact that I live here now, but I'll adjust in time."

She grinned back at Charlie. "I also don't have any tricks or gadgets like you do, so we're both at a disadvantage! Well, sorta. I guess we'll just have to find out, won't we?" 

On 4/15/2024 at 6:40 PM, Thevshi said:

Multi-Girl

Bernadette gave a small smirk at Charlie’s response to Vik's suggestion of some sparring. "Poor dear." She replied with a grin. "Luckily, I do like your face tha way it is." She then added as she stood back up.

The redhead walked over towards the open space in the gym that was set up with mats for sparing or tumbling. Opening a cabinet along the wall, she took out some padded MMA style gloves for herself as she walked out onto the mats. "So, we take it light an’ body blows only?" She asked, looking back at the other two.

"Well, I certainly wouldn't want to get in between your lover's quarrel, but we'll see whose face gets turned into a Picasso today!" she said teasingly, moving her weight from one leg to another. She was already starting to stretch and warm up, excited to test her mettle against her teammates. "That sounds good to me, Red. You and me first, then...winner fights Charlie?" she said, looking at him. "I'm interested to see how this will turn out. Haven't beaten up two superheroes in one day before!"

Edited by Lone_Star