GM

December 18th,

Southside

The night was quiet, a light smattering of snow across the street as Blackstaff began his investigation. A new spirit had been active in Southside, handing out gifts, and a local had asked him to look into it, figure out what the spirit was like, no one wanted to offend it and draw it's wrath.

Still, asking around hadn't been particularly enlightening, some people said the spirit rode a sled, others a reindeer, others more mythical things like griffins and dragons. All that he could for certain tell was that the gifts were magical in origin, something familiar, although he couldn't place exactly where.

Edited by Kaede Kimura

Concerned neighbors had come to his office. A strange, spirit like entity had been seen on the streets. The spirit was handing out gifts, gifts Blackstaff had quickly determined were magical in nature. And while none of the ones he’d seen appeared to be malevolent in nature, people were worried. Something about the magic was familiar but he couldn’t put a finger on how. He couldn’t fault them their suspicions so here he was now, exhaling frosty breaths as he walked the city streets alone.

He had Lark at the office to coordinate any new sightings of their target. It wasn’t easy with the ‘spirit’ seeming to move around at random. It also didn’t help that the only consistent description was a pale young woman riding… something.

“I’m two blocks away from there.”

He said into his cellphone as he glanced up at a street sign.

“Thanks Lark, you’re an excellent employee and you deserve a raise.”

“You’re right, I do. I should really talk to my boss, but he can be rather stingy sometimes.” 

“Ouch.”

Blackstaff chuckled.

“Call me if anything comes in.”

He hung up and pocketed the old flip-phone. It was old, but durable and had a higher likelihood of servicing his magic than a newer smartphone despite Lark’s insistence that he should get one.

Edited by Spacefurry

GM

It does not take long before Blackstaff begins to see signs of this gift-giving entity, people with new and fanciful blankets, jackets, cloaks and ponchos, despite the late hour some children wander, now clad in warm layers with new toys, some clutch teddies of dragons and fairies, others dolls of various characters and people they know, one boy holds a posable action figure of a young hero, with some matching origami paper.

The magic is familiar, reminding the investigator of a friend from Emerald City who he hasn't seen in a while, but what really seals the memory in his head is the menagerie of creatures and stories as he approaches the epicenter. A small griffin and hippogriff race through the chill air, a company of clockwork soldiers march in formation and a tiny version of himself sits at a miniature table with a familiar snake man, sipping tea.

Finally, he rounds the corner to find a familiar face in a festive red dress astride a reindeer bedecked in decorations and holly, a great number of bells dangling from its antlers. There, looking for all the world like a young, female Santa is Adrianna Liddel, currently handing a blanket and cup of warm cocoa to what looks like the Little Match Girl. 

Christopher slips his phone out and begins to type. The message to Lark is brief, mostly since in was easier with the old flip-phone he used.

‘Found spirit. Not hostile. Will call.’

He pockets the phone again and chuckles. It explained the familiar magic he’d feeling. And he certainly hopes he isn’t wrong about her not being hostile. While he was sure he could hold her off, it wasn’t something he had any desire to test.

Glancing both ways he crosses the street and approaches Andrianna.

“Hello again.”

He says with a friendly smile.

“Long time no see.”

The Dreamer

The Dreamer smiled down at the girl as she handed her the blanket and drink she'd conjured. The first to notice the wizard's approach were the dreams, many pulling back from him seemingly fearful, a small handful instead approaching, seemingly curious or awed. Whispers abound from the more intelligent dreams, only snippets making it to Christopher's ears, "... The Blackstaff ... wizard! ... Knows the Carnifex ..." The only dream that seems unfazed by his arrival is a three inch long hookah-smoking caterpillar, who simply puffs a smoke ring in his direction.

The Dreamer does not seem to notice the reaction of her dreams until she hears Christopher's voice, stiffening slightly in surprise. Quickly she turns to face the investigator. "Christopher?" She looks quizzically at him. "Oh, I ought to know better by now that when I see you it is a dream. You are still in Emerald City. Still, it is good to see you, even if you are not here."

Edited by Kaede Kimura

Christopher gives the small girl Adrianna had given the hot cocoa to a reassuring smile. The little one clutched the blanket like she feared Christopher would try to take it away. He crouched to look less threatening to her.

12 hours ago, Kaede Kimura said:

"Christopher?" She looks quizzically at him. "Oh, I ought to know better by now that when I see you it's a dream. You're still in Emerald City. Still, it is good to see you, even if you're not here."

“I could say the same for you. But, I assure you I’m quite real.”

Christopher glanced up at Adrianna.

“I opened an office here in Freedom recently.”

He says as he pats his pockets. Pulling a small candy cane from his coat pocket, he offers it to the girl before standing up straight again.

“I should say, I’m flattered you see dreams of me.”

He chuckles as he reaches out to pet the reindeer.

“I do hope they’re helpful at least.”

The Dreamer

The Dreamer watches Blackstaff closely, trying to spot imperfections or the like that may help her decide of he was the real one. She stopps after a few moments, although it's hard to tell if she's decided he's a dream or not. Still, she smiles at him. "Regardless, what brings you out here this night, Christopher? Saving more people?"

GM

The young girl thanks the wizard for the candy, handing him a single match in exchange before fading suddenly from view. Perhaps the rumors of a spirit were not entirely incorrect, simply applied to the wrong individual.

Before he can make anything of it however, he can sense a new magical presence somewhere nearby. 

• Kaede Kimura changed the title to A Dream of Christmas (IC)

Christopher accepted the offered matchstick with a warm smile , then blinked as the little girl disappeared before his eyes. He found himself caught off guard for a moment, then smirked and shook his head.

On 12/23/2023 at 3:21 PM, Kaede Kimura said:

The Dreamer

"Regardless, what brings you out here this night, Christopher? Saving more people?"

“Me?”

He asked giving Adrianna a knowing smile.

“Searching for the holiday spirit I guess.”

He joked, putting hands in his coat.

“I’d ask what you were doing out this evening, but I think it pretty obvious.”

Christopher glanced around the street. A few lingered, some curious, some suspicious. 

Who was this man? What did he want with the pretty lady Santa that had been so generous to them?

He hoped he was coming off as friendly and non threatening.

“You know, there’s a place a few blocks away that has a great cup of hot cocoa. If you wa-“

Something drifted through the night air. Magic, but not her’s he thought and most definitely not his. He glanced around what he hoped was casually. There was too much ‘Dreamer Magic’ in the area, he couldn’t pin it down.

“If you want,”

He started again, smiling back at her again.

“We could go and warm up. My treat.”

The Dreamer

The Dreamer waved to the people eyeing Blackstaff with a vague smile, pulling some more conjured gifts from the satchel at the back of her reindeer for her dreams to distribute as Blackstaff asked his question. She had no clue of what caused the stutter, but put it from her mind as she nodded. "That sounds wonderful, Christopher. The nights are quite cold, even when dressed appropriately."

As they begin walking, The Dreamer continues to chat. "Do you have any interesting tales to share since our last meeting?"

GM

The pair began to move away from the site, but the other magic followed, growing stronger, although Blackstaff still cannot pinpoint it's source.

Christopher gave Dreamer a friendly smile as he waited for her to finish handing out gifts.

The itch of strange magic in the air still lingers, following the duo like some kind of trailing cloud. As they move along the city sidewalks Christopher tells Adrianna about opening an office front here in Freedom City to be closer to family.

“It’s easier than one would think, having the office connected to both cities really cuts down on the commute.”

He chuckles.

“What about you? What brought you to Freedom?”

He tries to project calm and casual, but he can still ‘feel’ the unknown magic growing.

The Dreamer 

The Dreamer nodded along with Christopher's explanation of the opening of a new office, although his mentioning of how having two offices 'connected' reduced the commute was slightly confusing, but she chalked it up to wizard things and added a point to the tally of 'possibly the real Christopher'.

"I came to Freedom to attend the Atom Academy, it has been... interesting. The first day one of the students made a robot dinosaur that went on a rampage." She chuckles lightly at the memory.

GM

As the pair traveled neither noticed the street emptying of all people or the mist gathering. The street grows dim as the light from the streetlamps seems to cling to the fixtures, like it was afraid to approach. Blackstaff's sense of wrongness rose as the sinister air gained power, but he couldn't place the location until...

The pair's reflection is suddenly interrupted by the sharp crack of displaced air. Suddenly before them stood a seven foot tall man with graying black hair, wearing a red and black tailcoat with a rose pinned on the front. A baleful red eye gazed out from the right side of his face, as he smiles sinisterly.

"I was told of a Christmas spirit wandering the city. Imagine my disappointment when I come to collect it and find a second rate magician and some hero. However..." His glowing eye seems to grow brighter for a moment, "Maybe there is something to be earned from this expedition. No spirit, but still a magic I can collect for myself."

Blackstaff can sense this stranger is the source of the strange magic that had been following them, radiating intense magical power.

Blackstaff

Christopher chuckled as Adrianna described the robotic dinosaur incident. He had heard of the academy but had never had reason to look into it, not unlike that private school over in Bayview.

Suddenly, the sinister magic that had been following them swelled and a sharp rack cut through the night. Before them stood a figure draped in a human guise.

Instinctively, Blackstaff stepped in front of Dreamer. One hand out toward the mysterious figure. He could feel it, this was the source of the magic he had been feeling.

“Stand down.”

The wizard declared as his own magic shimmered around him.

“Return whence you came.”

Dryhten Dougal

Dougal looks down at Blackstaff as he interposes himself between him and the 'spirit' he was here for. A deep laugh rumbles from him as Christopher issues his declaration, the mist twisting in response to the sound, pulling in tighter until it forms an opaque ring with the pair at the center and Dougal at the edge, about fifteen meters from them. 

"Oh I shall, after I claim my prize. But if you wish to provide some entertainment it is no matter to me." The Fomorian blooded sorcerer steps forward, flames springing up along his arms, his eyes glinting with the flames.

Edited by Kaede Kimura
  • 2 weeks later...

Dryhten Dougal

The fires coating the Sorcerer's arms spring forwards, coalescing into the shape of an enormous snake, hellish heat pouring from it as it's maw gaped and it crashed down upon the pair, searing Blackstaff's flesh, although The Dreamer was shielded from the flames by her dreams. 

Dougal laughed mockingly as the fire washed away, leaving a snaking scorch mark upon the road. "You're outmatched, mage. Surrender and I may show you some mercy."

Blackstaff 

Magical flames slammed into Blackstaff’s hastily empowered shield. The bracelet on his wrist flared and the shield shattered. The flames washed over him and his outline shimmered, a double image of the flames both striking him and passing partially through him.

The smell of scorched clothing and flesh were real but Blackstaff’s image appeared untouched. The wizard cursed and it shimmered again before seeming to solidify.

He glanced back to make sure Dreamer was safe.

“This is not a fight you will find entertaining.”

The air around him crackled. The sound of ice cracking as a halo of icicles solidified before him. It was the quickest and easiest element to call on at the moment.

“Arctizare!”

He thrusts a hand forward and the hail of ice launched at the fire wielding enemy.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dreamer

The Dreamer gasped slightly at the torrent of flames that threatened to engulf her, before a large scaly wing interposed itself between her and the inferno. The buck-toothed, scaly thing the wing belonged to shuddered slightly as it looked at Blackstaff before pulling back, revealing the unharmed Dreamer.

She looked at Blackstaff, concerned briefly at the smell of burning flesh, but was relieved to see the unharmed form of her mystical friend. She assumed some unfortunate dream had been caught in the blast.

As the enemy weathered Blackstaff's icy assault she focused, the air above their attacker twisting like an Escher painting before a gigantic teacup fell from above to catch him. 

Dryhten Dougal 

A shield of raw magical energy intercepted the icicles, where they cracked into a harmless mist of tiny ice shards, gently dancing in the lamplight. A smug look passes across his features as he steps forward gracefully to avoid the dreamed cup. "Come now girl, are you going to try a horde of rabbits next?" He places his hands together, stretching out a web of green light which he then slings at The Dreamer. It wraps around her, sinking into her flesh and clothes, slowing her movements and reactions.

Blackstaff

Blackstaff gritted his teeth as the icicles shattered against the man’s barrier. He was a little surprised when the giant tea cup dropped.

When their attacker called up green webbing he braced to defend against it. It wasn’t until it was too late he realized he was not the intended target.

He looked back to see Dreamer bound, but not quite helpless. He would have to help her as soon a as he could, but first he needed to deal with this entity first.

He still wasn’t sure if it was a man or a demon. Blackstaff had to be careful.

“Lumaria.”

Blackstaff snaps his finger and the flash of brilliant light sprang to being. Light that was caught and magnified by the mist of tiny ice shards that filled the space between them after his last attack.

• 3 weeks later...

The Dreamer and Dryhten Dougal

The Dreamer growled lowly at the villains condescension, calling upon the well of fury she pulled forth The Carnifex, the Nightmare towering over the attacker, great curled horns rising from its forehead. It grinned viciously as it swept clawed hands forwards to slash at it's foe, but he merely stepped backwards, avoiding the Dream's attack and interposing it between himself and Blackstaff.

"Hah! Is this the best that modern mages can muster? I had thought this would be sporting, but I suppose any entertainment this provides will be comedy borne of incompetence."

As the mage spoke, Christopher spots something down a nearby alleyway. A white rabbit in a waistcoat waves to the investigator, beckoning him before checking his pocket watch and hurriedly scampering around a nearby corner. 

Blackstaff

Blackstaff gritted his teeth as the entity shrugged off his last two attempts. He didn’t appreciate its mockery but he was trying not to destroy the street or surrounding buildings. Also, Dreamer was behind him, she wasn’t helpless but he didn’t want to endanger her further. That limited what he was willing to throw around unless things needed to escalate.

Carnifex had missed its attack on their assailant but had posted itself between them. This gave Blackstaff a moment of breathing space.

His eyes search for an advantage he could take when he caught sight of the white rabbit down the nearby alley. As it waved to him, Blackstaff clearly identified it as one of Dreamer’s creations. He began to formulate a new plan.

“Frigatus Archilus!”

Blackstaff called out as he swept his hand, palm out, before him. The air in front of Dougal seemed to crystallize in mid air before a wall of jagged ice erupted out of it. It split the street and rose into the air.

As soon as it broke line of sight with the entity, Blackstaff reached back and grabbed Dreamer’s hand.

“This way!”

He tugged her towards the alley, trying to allow for her dream steed.

“That won’t slow it down for long.”

When he notices her steed struggling to cross the short distance, the wizard takes the initiative and scoops her up into the typical princess carry. It slows him down a little but it’s still faster than her slowed steed.

Edited by Spacefurry
  • 2 weeks later...

The Dreamer

The Dreamer struggled to respond to the rapidly evolving situation under the influence of the stranger's spell, barely mustering a confused noise as Blackstaff hefted her from her dream steed. The Carnifex by contrast responded with vigour as the wizard created a wall of ice to cover their escape, leaping upon the man with ferocity and seizing his arms with a vice-like grip.

As the pair made their way down the alleyways Christopher would catch glimpses of the white rabbit, each time just before it would dart around the next corner. If The Dreamer noticed this interloper, she gave no indication, instead trying to fight back a slowly rising blush. 

Blackstaff

Blackstaff huffed a little as he ran. It was chilly and, even as light as Dreamer was, he was carrying someone while running after a magical construct through back alleys to escape an unknown hostile creature in the middle of the night.

So… not a completely unusual evening for the wizard P.I. he thought with ironic amusement.

“I don’t suppose you know where you’re leading us?”

He asked while chancing a backwards glance, oblivious of the young lady’s blush.

“I know your… ‘companion’ is formidable, but I don’t know how long it can hold off that thing.”

He added, still not sure how he should refer to the Carnifex.

The Dreamer

The Dreamer looked up at Blackstaff unsure what exactly he meant by her guiding them, about to ask when a pillar of fire erupted from behind them. The Dreamer flinched, but the slowing effect faded as she looked in the direction.

"Only that long, I am sorry to say. I do not know where we are going. I was under the impression you were leading us." She peered back the direction they'd come, worried that at any moment the enemy would appear again to assault them, when a voice rang out ahead, posh and nervous. "Oh good grief, not long now! He will not be able to find us here! Oh look at the time, how dreadful..."

Blackstaff could see the rabbit as he fished a key out of his pocket, jumping to push it into a lock in a door before pushing inside. The Dreamer was still peering over his shoulder, tense and slightly pale after the defeat of the Carnifex.

Blackstaff

Blackstaff glanced around when the sudden explosive pillar of flames drew his attention back the way they came. He vaguely noticed whatever had been binding Dreamer fade, but this was not the time to stop and test it.

“Shit.”

He grumbled and looked around again. He was about to just pick a direction when he heard the rabbit again.

He ran. On the heels of the rabbit as they crossed the threshold of the door. He turned, using his foot to catch the door and shove it closed. He only spent a moment staring at the door before turning around to look for the dapper rabbit.

“Even if you aren’t aware of it, it seems your magic is looking out for you.”

He commented as his eyes tried to adjust to the interior.