My Evil Twin (OOC)

Huckleberry

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for bearing with me. I'm more used to a PBP format that flows more like the tabletop rpg experience. Where players might ask the GM OOC if something is possible first (if in doubt) and then,  for the live thread, narrate their character's intentions, with the GM then adjudicating what actually happens. Then the players recap a bit in their next post, narrate their next set of intentions (with rolls in hidden text or in an OOC thread), and the cycle continues. In FCPBP, it seems the live thread is more about players posting what actually happens the first time, including making up details about the environment to make it happen. Hence the need for an OOC thread preceding the live thread by a round for combat encounters, etc. It still feels clunky to me, but I'm working on it.

It does potentially put me in a bit of a bind, however, when a player makes up a detail about the environment without asking first. So I'm struggling with this FCPBP convention. Do I ask the player to retcon? Do I require all posts OOC first? Do I just ratchet up other aspects of the environment to counter? Do I just play as if we are taking turns at being GM? All seem like they could have disadvantages. When I ran into this issue with Avenger Assembled, I don't think I could even get them to understand the issue I was talking about, and the whole thread ended up imploding.

If I were asked about it first, I would say: Bernadette doesn't see an exposed power cable to the computer control interface unit. It must be receiving power directly from the larger instant subliminal learning unit. She could try to rip the entire control unit off its mounting to the larger unit. It might not be entirely obvious how the larger ISL unit is supplied with power. She could make an Intelligence check to yank out the right conduit to the main ISL unit, although yanking out that would come with a risk of a massive electric shock.

But, if retcon is off the table, I'd ask what you would suggest instead. Thanks again for your help. It feels as if I've been plopped down into a foreign country with strange and confusing customs at times. 

Hey Huck, no, you are right, I should have asked for some clarification about that here before just posting. If you want me to make any rolls for anything (like her trying to figure out a way to shut down the timer), just let me know and I can edit my IC post. If she cannot spot something easily (which it does not sound like she can), I can also go back and edit. One thought for another way to proceed is to just have her try to get in front of Ruin and block her from being able to enter the chamber.

I assume the duplicate can go ahead with just pulling the fire alarm.

Right on. Duplicate can 100% pull the alarm.

If Bernadette's wants to stop Ruin from going through the instant subliminal learning demo, she could try to stop the demo or try to stop Ruin.

She could stop the demo with a DC 20 computer check, a DC 20 disable device check, a DC 15 disable device check and a DC 15 strength check, or a DC 10 disable device check and a DC 15 strength check and risk being electrocuted. Although she might not be trained in those skills.  . . .is disable device only usable trained? Seems strange if it is, considering how easy it is to break things, usually.  . . . 

She could try to stop Ruin with a contest. She could use a social skill (-2 circumstance modifier with Ruin's bad attitude), or a strength check, or a power check to crowd her with duplicates, or anything that makes sense really. Ruin would roll Willpower vs a social skill or Disintegration vs most physical attempts to block her. 

Well, Disable Device is really for picking locks (without breaking them) or disarming bombs and the like.

As neither skill is really in Bernadette's wheelhouse (and likely never will be), she will just try to block Ruin using a strength check and rolls poorly for just a 16

I will edit my post.

Well, in this case computers might have been a good option, but again, not in her wheelhouse.

Edited my IC post that she was going to move in front of Ruin and try to block her (and the dup still pulling the fire alarm)

At this point, we could roll for initiative, but it seems kind of silly with just one player. I'm thinking Bernadette has a chance to do whatever she wants to do first, then Consuelo will get a chance to try to stop her Ruin, then Ruin will do her nasty business, with the AI staffer being surprised this round.

Ruin seems capable of doing a lot of damage. It might take some clever tricks to deal with her, possibly in a non-combat way, ultimately. Or you could roll a nat 20 and KO her. Sometimes that happens.

Well, figure it was combat time, though not sure why we shouldn't roll Initiative. Also, not sure how Bernadette's attack roll is the necessary element for a KO? (she is a damage shifted PL 9, so her punches are DC 27 toughness saves, so what Ruin rolls on toughness matters).

Was going to have the duplicate run and pull the lab worker back into the hallway and out of sight.

Alright, Rot tries to grab Ruin for a Grapple, rolling a 12, which misses.

Ruin will target Carnelia and Bernadette's duplicate with her disintegration. Apparently Ruin feels no compulsion to avoid Bernie if there is a spare on hand. So, duplicate and Carnelia are looking at a DC 18 Reflex save to halve the effect followed by a rank 8 Toughness Drain and rank 8 damage, unless Multi-Girl has a way to instantly counter.