Half-Life IC

Thevshi

Gamma Buzz

Baz wasn't jealous. No envy gripped him, at least with regards to wealth. When you could fire our laser beams from your eyes, who needed money? But being a human being... that was something Lawrence had that he didn't, something so painful he couldn't acknowledge it, at least not directly. It was there, bubbling, seething, raw pain, but he could only look at obliquely, only skim past it. 

And move on. Distract. Something else. 

"So, can you show me your powers? Err... we can do that, right? We aren't going to get kicked out or anything?"

He cast his red eyes around the room, scanning for bugs or invisible drones. He couldn't see any, but if they were invisible, he wouldn't anyway...right?

"I mean, can you freeze some water? Or superspeed up the wall or something? Is that how it works...."

Vaz drummed his fingers on his scalp exosceleton, trying to think of all the fun ways one could warp time. 

Timeout

Lawrence gave a small smile as Baz asked about whether or not they might get kicked out for using their powers. "No, there is no issue with using your powers outside of school. Though, I suppose if you walked into the middle of an intersection and just started using them randomly, that might be an issue."

The blond teen the seemed to blur slightly and was gone. "Afraid my powers are not exactly flashy or anything." Came Lawrence's voice as the teen was now standing behind Baz. As Baz turned around, he saw that Lawrence was also holding a glass filled with some water.

"But, with the right prop, it can be a bit easier to demonstrate." The teen added as he turned the glass to dump out the water. But even as the water began to spill out, Lawrence's free hand came up, his fingers outstretched as the water froze in the air, a portion of a waterfall held in place. Lawrence turned his left hand slightly, the water beginning to move slowly to continue cascading toward the floor.

But then the teen stopped it once more, and turned his hand in the opposition direction and the water began flowing back upward, moving in the exact reverse of its normal motion. After the water had flowed back up to its original starting point, Lawrence moved the glass back underneath it and closed his freehand, the water dropping back into the glass.

Gamma Buzz

"I knew it! Freezing water! And then... unfreezing it! Whats that, melting it? No.. entropy or something...."

Baz scratched his head. 

"Maybe your father would know. All physics and stuff... but it sure looked cool. Up, down, back in the glass, what a party trick, eh?"

Baz was no master of physics, but he did have a knack for creativity. What could you do with that?

Could they go back in time and stop his kid self playing with the pretty glowing cockroaches next to the illegal nuclear dump sight? Or would that cause a paradox, or something? His mama wouldn't like that. He was meant to be a Superhero, she would say. It was fate, or karma, or God's will or something. Easy for her to say, she wasn't freaking freak!

"So, like when you are a superhero and have a cape and everything, you could rewind accidents! Stop car crashes, that kind of thing? Could save a lot of lives, like that. Actually, you will probably be in demand from a lot of people wanting your services, people who regret there actions, eh? Sort of like reloading a saved game when yoy lose a life!"

Timeout

"Not really freezing the water, I did not change the nature of the water from liquid to solid nor alter its temperature in any way." Lawrence responded to Baz’s reaction to the blond teen’s display of his powers. However, when Baz turned to the possibilities about altering the past, Lawrence’s expression become more serious.

"Altering time is not so simple. While in theory I could go back and change the outcome of an event, it would only serve to create a new divergent timeline where the event did not occur. The original timeline would still exist. Trying to completely erase a timeline….that can have serious repercussions."

Gamma Buzz

Baltazar didn't stop to wonder how he felt about that. 

A hope, dashed? or a sense of relief? There was plenty about the past he lamented, but the thought of changing it was giddying to the point of nausea. No, perhaps the past was what it was. 

It was the present he wanted to change. The present was an echo of the past. 

"Sounds best left alone" he blurted, trying to stop himself from being sucked into that vortex. "I mean, whats to change, anyhow?"

Plenty, but I can't admit that to Lawrence... or even myself...

"Goddamn superheroes, we are! Swinging through the city, catching crooks, saving pedestrians, fighting aliens and zombies and ninja babes from the planet Zuzu, eh?"

I can think of a few other things to do witih ninja babes from the planet Zuzu. They sound smokin'!

"What's not to like? Superheroing, here we come!"

Timeout

Lawrence was glad when Baz moved away from the topic of trying to change the past or otherwise alter timelines. While the blond teen could understand the natural curiosity, but there were many things about alternate timelines that Lawrence was not quite ready to start sharing with everyone he met at Claremont.

"Superheroing will come soon enough." The teen replied. "Once we get into the routine for the year, we can always start going out at night to see what trouble we can find." He offered.

The two soon to be roommates continued to talk for several more hours, learning a bit more about each other and discussing the upcoming school year….