GM

Hanover, on a rooftop opposite the Bastion Technologies building

6PM, January 6, 2021

A few hours after Chimera fought Freestyle at FCU Campus, she had arrived in Hanover. 

The weather had grown colder and darker. A silent rain was slowly falling.

Positioned on a roof across the street, Chimera looked at the Bastion Building, nestled between start ups and internet companies. From out here, it looked pretty ordinary. Just another little tech company in Hanover, one among many in Hanover.

She was not alone.

A shadow fell on her from above.

Chimera stood on the dimly lit rooftop as the rain ran in rivulets along the rough edges of the techno-organics that twined around her. She stared across at the Bastion building lost in thought.

”Geez, I wish I had an umbrella.”

The rain was soaking her through the open spaces of the symbiote. She hugged herself to try to work some warmth back into her arms as she contemplated the best way to enter the building.

”Let’s call it what it is, breaking and entering.”

She sighed and mentally psyched herself up when she noticed something. A shadow was falling on her.

“Shitshitshit...”

Chimera spun around, raising an arm defensively.

GHOST

"Didn't I see you at that thing with Midas back in December? Really doesn't look like you're supposed to be here, huh?" 

Casper was pretty sure this was a good guy, but... yeah, who knew? She seemed damn nervous, so maybe not, or maybe this was just her first time doing something like whatever she was supposed to be doing.

Ghost floated down from above, landing at the roof next to Chimera and looking ahead at the building. He kneeled next to Chimera and looked ahead.

"Bastion Tech, huh? So, what're you up to, then? Turning bad? Looking for a lead or something?"

Chimera blinked and looked up at Ghost. It took her a moment to recognize him from what he said.

”That’s right, it was the bank robbery.”

She nodded as she watched him float down. Realizing he was another hero had let her relax a little. She looked back across at the Bastion building when he joined her. She gave a small sigh and frowned behind the face plate that covered her mouth and nose.

”Could be nothing, but it’s the only lead I could think of. Earlier today, someone called Freestyle broke into one of the University labs and copied some experimental research. From want little I was able to gather from the head of the project, Bastion had been in contact with him and seemed very eager to get their hands on it.”

She put her hands on her hips.

”It feels like a pretty weak excuse to break in, but it’s all I have to go on.”

Chimera gave a weak little shrug of resignation.

GHOST

"Eh, to be fair, bank robberies tend to be Midas' M.O. in general, so... doesn't narrow it down too much (gotta wonder about why a guy like that wants to steal gold from banks of all places, but eh)." Ghost didn't sound uninterested, but he did seem kind of bored as he listened to Chimera's explanation.

So, Freestyle? He'd heard of her. Some kind of industrial spy on roller skates or something like that. Casper hadn't actually fought her or anything, but yeah, she was a bad guy alright.

"I've heard worse reasons." Ghost reached up to his goggles and adjusted them, activating the X-Ray. Some people were inside. "Sounds like a pretty standard grab and run on her part. Guess she got away from you or something like that?" He paused briefly, then stood up and stretched his back. He glanced briefly down at Chimera. She was new at this. That much was clear. Young, too, but at least she wasn't a kid. "Alright. So you got a reason, but not good enough that you wanna get caught, right?" He should just leave it alone. Chimera'd be fine. She'd learn, maybe get caught, maybe... Yeah, alright. He was not gonna leave it alone. "So, how do you wanna do this? What do you know about the place? Found somewhere you can get in there?"

Chimera was glad the symbiote covered her cheeks as Ghost correctly guessed that Freestyle had escaped her. “Something like that.” She agreed.

On 4/23/2021 at 5:38 AM, RocketLord said:

GHOST

"So, how do you wanna do this? What do you know about the place? Found somewhere you can get in there?"

She was looking across at the building she realized what he was saying. “Wha.. ah.” Chimera was caught off guard for a moment and looked over at Ghost. Looking back across the street she thought for a moment.

”Shoot. Come on think Jenny, what would a real hero do?” She bit her lip behind her mask as her brow furrowed.

”I doubt someone was careless enough to leave a window open. So, maybe the roof...” She started, sounding a little unsure at first. The covering over the lower half of her face opened reflexively as she bit her thumbnail thoughtfully. “The roof access will probably have an alarm.”

”Oh my god, I have no plan. What am I thinking? I’m going to look like a fool in front of him. Think. Think. Think...”

Chimera though quickly, thankful for the symbiote’s boost to her speed both mentally and physically.

”Once inside, gain access to the servers try to trace any queries on Dr. Kent’s research. Hopefully that will point to the next link in the chain. Maybe get lucky and find the thumb drive in the building somewhere.”

Chimera was careful not to use ‘we’ or ‘us’. She didn’t want to assume Ghost’s intentions. She glance sideways at him, trying to judge his opinion.

GHOST

"Roof's a classic," Ghost agreed. "But think things through. Bastion's a high tech place, yeah? An alarm will probably be the least of the things up there, y'know. Be on your guard, right?"

He would have found a good wall to go through, of course, but the kid had to figure it out on her own. Wouldn't do her any good if she'd just rely on him getting her through things, right?

"Trying to find a thumb drive's kind of needle in a haystack approach, but sure. Better than no plan." Yeah, right. Like he ever tended to plan that far ahead. Sound good and mentor-y, now. 

Ghost cracked his neck once. Oh, that felt good. Needed to be ready for this, then. "Alright, then. Let's go."

Chimera grimaced as Ghost pointed out the flaws in her train of thought.

”I’m not expecting a big glowing arrow pointing to it like in some kind of game.”

She conceded.

“But it’s at least an objective. Or if I can trace the emails back to a sender, it’d be a starting point.”

She took a deep breath and stepped up to the edge of the roof top and readied to climb down.

On 4/30/2021 at 10:38 AM, RocketLord said:

GHOST

"Alright, then. Let's go."

Chimera hesitated for a moment. She hadn’t been sure what he was going to stay or leave her to her own chances. She smiled in relief that she wasn’t going to be alone this time.

The techno-organic symbiote covered her mouth against and she let herself over the edge and made her way down to the street. 
Moving quickly, she crossed to the Bastion side of the street. She tried to keep her eyes open for external cameras as she looked for the best way up to to the tech company’s roof.