GHOST 

Casper chuckled at Chimera's response, shaking his head. Can't help herself from helping others, huh? Kids these days...

"Yeah. You could say it's been a while." He shook his head lightly. "And hey, Freestyle's been at this longer than you. She's a pro, no shame in someone else getting the better of you. You kept at it, so..." He paused, giving Chimera a thumbs up, before turning his hand to scratch his chin.

"Any tips, huh?" He had a bunch, probably. Might not all help. Not like their powers were anything alike or anything.

"Uh, right... make sure to wash your costume or whatever you're wearing under that armor every day. It'll get funky and people will make fun of you if they smell you before they see you."

What else?

"Anybody with names that's like... puns or plays on words? Keep an eye on them. 9 out of 10 times, they'll turn out to be a villain or get powers or something."

"Oh, yeah, if you're going to do this, then the one thing, the most important thing above all: It is going to cost you. I'm sorry, but it's true. Not everything's gonna be roses, not everything's gonna be terrible, but you will have to make hard decisions at times, and things will happen outside your control, and it will not be heart breaking." 

He looked at Chimera. His unnaturally blue eyes showed nothing but sincerity., with maybe some sadness.

Edited by RocketLord
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jennifer smiled at Casper’s thumbs up. She even found herself relaxing and chuckling at his few bits of advice. When he mentioned costs though, she sobered up and regarded him seriously.

She’d seen the super hero tabloids in stores. She was sure it was all sensationalized, but heroes were people too. They had there own regular problems on top of ‘super’ problems.

On 11/27/2021 at 2:03 PM, RocketLord said:

GHOST 

"Oh, yeah, if you're going to do this, then the one thing, the most important thing above all: It is going to cost you. I'm sorry, but it's true. Not everything's gonna be roses, not everything's gonna be terrible, but you will have to make hard decisions at times, and things will happen outside your control, and it will not be heart breaking." 

He looked at Chimera. His unnaturally blue eyes showed nothing but sincerity., with maybe some sadness.

She didn’t frown, but her expression was one of resigned acknowledgment as she nodded. Meeting his eyes again, she could see the pain. This was a man speaking from experience, experience she had yet to endure. It gave her a shiver but she tried to play it off. 
Jennifer stood, dusting herself off and gave him a friendly smile as she tried to change the subject.

”You know, we’ve never properly introduced ourselves.”

She stepped forward and extended her hand.

”Chimera.”

She chuckled a little in embarrassment 

”My friend came up with it as a joke, but I kinda liked it.”

GHOST 

Casper accepted Chimera's hand, shaking it briefly.

"Ghost. Might've heard of me."

Or maybe she hadn't. He wouldn't be surprised by either at this point.

"Listen, uh... I'm not exactly what I'd call a good role model or teacher or anything, but I'm usually around the Fens or downtown if you need help or anything. Or try to reach out to Freedom League Aux, alright?"

“Ghost. Little on the nose.”

She laughed and nodded. She thought she remembered reading about him in a few old case files she looked through. She gave him a warm smile.

”Thanks, but I think I learned a lot in one night. I really don’t think I could have done this without your help.”

She reiterated.

“I can’t imagine you’d ever need my help. But I attended Freedom University. You can problem find me around there. I’m better at computers the fighting it seems.”

She chuckled nervously and looked back up at him.

“But if I need help, I’ll know who to call.”

She grinned at the pun, not sure he’d get, but also a little worried he just groan at it.

GHOST 

Casper shrugged.

"Simpler times. Not everything needs to be some deeper, hidden meaning, y'know."

He shook his name at the pun, but grinned under the mask, while his feet slowly lifted off from the ground.

"Got something wrong, there. Nobody busts this ghost, kid."

Ghost waved briefly. "Take care of yourself. Remember, nothing wrong in asking for help."

Then he was off, flying through the night.

Jennifer chuckled at his comeback, watching him rise up of the rooftop, not unlike his namesake.

”I’ll keep that in mind.”

She called after him as he flew off to unknown parts of the city. Left standing there alone on the rooftop she shivered as a brief breeze came along.

”Oh ya, guess I should get back to campus.”

She said out loud to herself and sighed

”That paper’s not gonna write itself.”

Once on the ground, Jennifer walked a  few blocks before licking out and flagging down a taxi. It had been a long night already, but her classes would keep her up even later. Joy.

• 5 weeks later...

GM

Chimera's initial meeting with Freestyle might not have gone as the new hero would have wanted, but in the end, everything turned out much better.

Of course, until a few days later, where she noticed a headline on a news page about Freestyle having escaped custody, because of course she had.

Well. Every hero needed a nemesis.