A friendly sparring match: OOC

Toptomcat

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see we're putting on a good show. The software faults are taking such a big role for two reasons:

1. I figure that any computer program that can emulate a style of martial arts when 'jacked in' is going to be a big 'ol hairy monster, especially given that it's the first of its kind and being written and mantained by one person. My first post puts it at ten million lines of code, about the size of Windows NT 3.5.

2. Again, the in-story purpose of this scrap for Shinken is so he can work out the kinks in his coding. Malfunctions make sense.

I think the first purchases I make with earned Power Points will be to get rid of that Unreliable Flaw, reflecting the debugging done here.

And maybe Improved Aim, to reflect improved proficiency with that aim-and-Power Attack iaijutsu manuver I pulled in the first round.

Glad to see we're putting on a good show. The software faults are taking such a big role for two reasons:

1. I figure that any computer program that can emulate a style of martial arts when 'jacked in' is going to be a big 'ol hairy monster, especially given that it's the first of its kind and being written and mantained by one person. My first post puts it at ten million lines of code, about the size of Windows NT 3.5.

2. Again, the in-story purpose of this scrap for Shinken is so he can work out the kinks in his coding. Malfunctions make sense.

I think the first purchases I make with earned Power Points will be to get rid of that Unreliable Flaw, reflecting the debugging done here.

And maybe Improved Aim, to reflect improved proficiency with that aim-and-Power Attack iaijutsu manuver I pulled in the first round.

Not having been Bruised but for once, and being a rather well-armored dude, Shinken's Toughness save is actually +9.

Oops, sorry. I read the numbers wrong.

Bokken are wooden practise swords designed to emulate a katana; I'm treating them as clubs for damage purposes and katana for purposes of Weapon Specialization...making me competitive again, but still dinimished by an offensive Power Level or two. That's subject to overruling by Heridfel, of course, but I thought it was fair.

For sure. Shinken is weapon-focused, so it makes sense.

As for my round, Nightrival has another hit, only this time you need to beat DC 19. My Defense DC is 26 this round.

Not having been Bruised but for once, and being a rather well-armored dude, Shinken's Toughness save is actually +9.

Bokken are wooden practise swords designed to emulate a katana; I'm treating them as clubs for damage purposes and katana for purposes of Weapon Specialization...making me competitive again, but still dinimished by an offensive Power Level or two. That's subject to overruling by Heridfel, of course, but I thought it was fair.

As for my round, Nightrival has another hit, only this time you need to beat DC 19. My Defense DC is 26 this round.

Ouch- another crit! You might want to look into getting a rank or two of Improved Critical yourself when this is all over. It's even more valuable for those who trade off Damage for Attack, like yourself.

Luckily for you, Benjiro was making an Accurate Attack for 2, as well as an All-Out Attack for 5. Accounting for the Accurate Attack, loss of Strike, and fatigue, you're only looking at a damage bonus of +8. Dangerous but doable...

Ouch- another crit! You might want to look into getting a rank or two of Improved Critical yourself when this is all over. It's even more valuable for those who trade off Damage for Attack, like yourself.

Luckily for you, Benjiro was making an Accurate Attack for 2, as well as an All-Out Attack for 5. Accounting for the Accurate Attack, loss of Strike, and fatigue, you're only looking at a damage bonus of +8. Dangerous but doable...

Well, that's it for Nightrival. A good hit!

I am in the market for new feats, but I'm considering All-out Attack and a rank in Equipment instead. Improved Critical is great, but I'm going to pick that up in the future to represent Nightrival's growing skill.

This has been an excellent opportunity. I've learned some lessons: remember to stack feats, and be careful fighting opponents with high damage bonuses and Toughness saves. So far Nightrival can hold his own against minions but against PL 10 opponents with powers . . . not so much.

Overall, a fun fight. I was plagued by low dice rolls which swung the odds to your favour, but whatever. This fight goes to you. :D

So do we continue sparring or close up this thread and move onto the warehouse raid? Whichever is fine by me.

EDIT: On second thought, I'll throw in Improved Critical when I pick up the Equipment feat.

I am in the market for new feats, but I'm considering All-out Attack and a rank in Equipment instead. Improved Critical is great, but I'm going to pick that up in the future to represent Nightrival's growing skill.

This has been an excellent opportunity. I've learned some lessons: remember to stack feats, and be careful fighting opponents with high damage bonuses and Toughness saves. So far Nightrival can hold his own against minions but against PL 10 opponents with powers . . . not so much.

Overall, a fun fight. I was plagued by low dice rolls which swung the odds to your favour, but whatever. This fight goes to you. :D

So do we continue sparring or close up this thread and move onto the warehouse raid? Whichever is fine by me.

EDIT: On second thought, I'll throw in Improved Critical when I pick up the Equipment feat.

I think our duel has run its course. Shinken has got plenty of data for debugging, and Nightrival's learned a trick or two. I've got Barnum to agree to run things on the warehouse side come December, so let's hold off until then and then start a separate thread.

Sounds good. You're more that welcome to write the closing post for this thread, if needed.

Ouch. Believe me, I know what getting knocked out feels like - at least, my character does. ;)

Good fight, both of you.

Thanks, VM. We should start a Characters Knocked Out In A Duel forum / support group. :D

I think our duel has run its course. Shinken has got plenty of data for debugging, and Nightrival's learned a trick or two. I've got Barnum to agree to run things on the warehouse side come December, so let's hold off until then and then start a separate thread.

Sounds good. You're more that welcome to write the closing post for this thread, if needed.

Ouch. Believe me, I know what getting knocked out feels like - at least, my character does. ;)

Good fight, both of you.

Thanks, VM. We should start a Characters Knocked Out In A Duel forum / support group. :D

Good fight, both of you.