Fire and Brimstone [OOC]

Kavos

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Jos can't not see through the Bluff: Ember got a 3 on Bluff, but Jos's Sense Motive modifier is a +9, so he can't get less than 10 :P

Jos can use Artificer (and Take 10 on all the necessary rolls) to create a 6pp item (an Easy to Lose Device 2, 10 'device points' effect), but it'll take 30 hours (6 hrs design + 24 hours construct), or about 4 days. The question is, what to make?

At first I was going to say Telelocation 9 (entire globe; PF: Subtle). She'd get a DC 19 Will save to hide from it (and would need to make a DC 29 Notice check to sense what Jos is doing, or DC 19 notice check if she has some sort of magical awareness super-sense), and he does still need to make a Search check to try and find her. But the bigger issue is the time it'd take to do the extended search: searching all of Freedom City -- remember he was blanked on what happened when she had him Mind Controlled, so he doesn't known he told her to check Hanover, the Fens, and Riverside for Fox, but he is assuming she's staying here in the city -- will require some a lot of time, since the city's about 10 miles in radius (it's about 15 x 25 miles, or about 20 miles in diameter). That's 12 steps up the Extended Range & Area table, which means the time required is 12 steps up, which is... 10 years!

So instead, I'll go with Telelocation 6 (20 miles, or any spot in the city; PF: Subtle) w/ Linked Quickness 9 (x1,000; Flaw: Limited to Extended Telelocation Searches only [-2 Flaw]).

She'd get a DC 16 Will save to hide from it (and would need to make a DC 26 Notice check to sense what Jos is doing, or DC 16 notice check if she has some sort of magical awareness super-sense).

10 years divided by 1,000 = 3.65 days.

Or, Telelocation 6 (20 miles, or any spot in the city) w/ Linked Quickness 12 (x10,000; Flaw: Limited to Extended Telelocation Searches only [-2 Flaw]).

She'd get a DC 16 Will save to hide from it, but would only need to make a DC 16 Notice check to know she's being scryed on (and wouldn't require magic awareness to sense it).

10 years divided by 10,000 = about 8 hours

So, if he wants to be very careful (Subtle Telelocation), it'll take about 8 days. If he's not, and goes with un-Subtle Telelocation, it'll take about 5 days.

Right?

It seems I was terribly wrong on the times listed above (which is why I started the thread linked at the end there, to double-check).

Searching the entire city would take just 1 day, not 50 years.

So I will go with Telelocation 6 (20 miles, or any spot in the city; PF: Subtle) w/ Linked Quickness 3 (x10; Flaw: Limited to Extended Telelocation Searches only [-2 Flaw]) and Linked Enhanced Skills 8 (Search +8 [+9 total]).

1 day divided by 10 = so the Search will take 2.4 hours

32.4 hours altogether, or a little over 4 days work.

And Jos's Search check is.... 19.

EDIT: 20, due to Jos's +1 Int.

.... I have no idea what the DC for this Search check should be; the books don't say. I wouldn't think it would be that high, since she doesn't know she's being scryed on, so she wouldn't know to hide from his peeping eyes... but if she's the cautious/paranoid type, she might try to hide just because.

• 2 weeks later...

This last post was partially inspired by the ending of the 1941 film The Devil and Daniel Webster. In it, a New Hampshire farmer sells his soul to "Mr. Scratch" for seven years of good fortune, but when it comes due the farmer gets Daniel Webster to find a way out. Webster offers his soul in exchange for a chance at a trial by jury to see if the Devil's claim is true; the Devil brings forth a "jury of the damned." Webster wins in the end (of course), but at the celebratory supper afterwards, the farmer's mother brings out a fresh-baked peach pie... but when she removed the cover, the pan was empty! Cut to the Devil down the road, greedily eating the entire peach pie.