Fission Chips (IC)

Supercape

GM

January 6th, Mid Morning...

Early January was a bleak time of year, with the Yuletide festivities over, the weather grey and cold. The holidays had left waistlines fat and bank accounts slim. 

Not so for the Rich and Famous of North Bay, however, where mansions and yachts proudly professed to wealth and comfort. Restaurants and service industries continued to ply their trade. 

To this cold but clear day, Asad had been invited for brunch by an Arabian Prince, no less. Prince Amir Kahn. A man in his late fourties, unmarried, and dripping in oil wealth. 

His Yacht was ridiculously long, and ridiculously plush. The Prince was a keen sailor, by all accounts. A man of many appetites, but a notably keen seaman who had traversed the Atlantic on several occasions and whose skill, whilst not exceptional, was not merely words bought from wealth and prestige. 

He stood waiting for Asad with fresh coffee and a fully laid out feast of exquisite delicacies served by top notch butlers. Caviar and Lobsters where just two of the meats and foods on offer. 

Amir al Misri was a lot of things.  For all the criticisms that could be levied against him by his allies and opponents, he took risks.  Well to other people they were risks, to him they were calculated and researched long before he even opened his mouth.

Like this, was a risk.  He'd get flak for it later.  Not that he cared.  He was bullet proof.  Further, he was vocal in his criticism of petrochemical's business practices, and was actively and publicly funding and purchasing technologies that served as alternatives.

Further, Asad knew how to make an entrance, further, he wasn't just some western business man unused to dealing with Arab princes.  He hobknobbed with them.  He was familiar with the behavior.  So he opted not to drive, instead arriving by air.  And landing at the end of the gangplank in a stylish Canali suit.  Well stylish for him.  Anyone else, and the gold and dark burgundy colors would look ludicrous.  But he pulled it off with an air of confidence.  Taking off his gloves, before walking onto the yacht that probably cost tens of millions of dollars.

GM

The Prince, if he was impressed, did not show it. He merely smiled warmly and shook Amir by the hand. 

"Thank you for coming brother" he said in good English. The man was clearly fluent in Arabic, but chose to speak in English for some reason, perhaps, after all, because he was on the shores of America. 

He tucked into some fine lobster eating moderately but savouring each taste with slow mastication. He touched not a drop of alcohol, drinking sparkling mineral water instead. 

"I know you are a man of immense wealth and fortune in this country" he said, slow and graciously. "And I come asking for your help. I want to leave a legacy to the world, and not one of fast cars, large yacht's, women and parties through the night. Yes, you know my reputation. And half of it is true, there is no point in denying it" he said, bowing in humility. 

"I want, in short, to do some good before I go. I have the money, but not the influence, not the connections. So, I come to you to see if you can help, God willing..."

• 4 weeks later...

Amir arched a brow, and he looked at the prince, his expression not so much unreadable as, well, questioning.  "There are better people to talk to than me, you could set up a charitable trust, or make earnest strides in other areas.  There are numerous things that could be done.  Really what matters is how you want to make the world better."  He knew that most princes' adherence to Islam was proportionate to who was watching them.  It was not a rule set in stone, though he wasn't touching the food, as the man was offering, the way his brows knitted together he wanted to get over the parrying part of the conversation to see what precisely the man intended to do.  "I certainly can help you network, but again I need to know what I am networking you for."

GM

Prince Kahn sighed. He had not eaten much, but now his appetite had vanished completely. 

"Very well. I shall explain" he said with a sad smile. 

"I have cancer. I have not long to live, and I know the time I face the judgement of heaven is near. I wish to face that judgement with humility and dignity. Hence, my desire, my urgency even, if you will..."

"There is...a man. A scientist, in our country. Brilliant, a genius" he said emphatically. "But cold too. I regret to say that he is a nuclear scientist. And one I patronised, to my shame. I believe that our country must develop nuclear power. Odd, perhaps, given our oil, but in today's world, and considering our oil wells will one day run out, I supported this. In secret. And now, in shame..."

"I paid more than money. I paid blood. My cancer, no doubt, is caused by my association with the man. Doctor Morsi is his name. I believe now that he was developing nuclear weapons of some kind. He is somewhat radical in his beliefs, you see. Which can sweep one up initially" he confessed. 

"He left Saudi before I could stop him. Now, he has come here" he spread his hands wide. 

"Hiding in plain sight, so to speak. To my shame, I would like this resolved quietly, rather than the world know I was involved in sponsoring such a man..."

To his credit, the Prince did look thoroughly ashamed. 

Amir was used to the social maneuvering of other Arabs, it tended to be very indirect, but today, he had little patience for something like that.  Especially when there was nary a crumb to whet his appetite with from the prince.  Looking at the other man carefully, his expression hard to read, "You understand that in this instance I am going to have to call Aegis, among others.  I cannot keep this handled, by just myself.  My depth of contacts and inroads are hardly... so unshakable."

He glanced to the food then, and he sighed.  This was a mess.  He was in this mess because the Prince believed him to be understand the predicament.  Pulling his phone out of his pocket then, he sighed a little bit and rang up Ana.  "Ana, get security in on this, we need to find a Doctor Morsi.  A physicist."

Prince Kahn was troubled by Amir's reaction. 

"I am not surprised at your reaction to this" he said, nervously. "Yet I feel trepidation. I do not wish this to be known to my family, or my country"

He swallowed deeply. 

"I want to wipe the slate clean" he explained, in full confession, pressing hands together. 

"As for finding Morsi, I do not think he will be using that name, I am afraid...at least not openly. But I did track him to Freedom City, with bribes and persuasion, and good investigators in Saudi. He came here by boat, it seems. A chartered one, no less..."

Pulling the the phone from his ear then and speaking the the prince, looking at the man levelly as he spoke.  "I cannot promise that I will be able to shield your name.  However, you want to leave behind a positive legacy, and if I do not stop what Morsi intends to do, then your wishes wont matter.  You are voicing concern over this issue, in this instance your involvement will likely be not mentioned to prevent any potential reprisals.  You are walking the righteous path Khan, be assured of that."

And then he turned a little to bring the phone back to him.  "Yes, name is not important, we are looking for Arabic or Persian new hires in any nuclear chemistry, or physics labs within the last year.  Especially if they were shortlisted, or any special considerations to them.  Ana... Ana I am aware.  Ana I know..."  He was interrupted a social engagement for her as well, and he started to grow angry.  "ANA!"  It was a rough, harsh bark then, something that his right hand woman had no frame of reference to take.  A rime of frost started to creep over Amir's form then as his power was rapid pulling the energy out of the air touching him.

"Understand Ms. van Cleef, this is not me being mercurial.  This is a safety issue.  You find this person, you have carte blanche to find this person, and you pass the information on to AEGIS before you contact me.  Are we clear?"  He over-enunciated as he spoke through his teeth.

GM

Prince Kahn, perhaps wisely, kept quiet and humble as Amir went to work. It did not take long, thanks to Amirs skill and, in this case, impatience!

There was one obvious target. A Mr. Abdul Assaf, apperently Turkish, moved to Freedom City a month ago. Mr. Assuf was working in the Hanover Institute of Technology, as a laboratory assistant. A lowly job for such a brilliant man, no doubt. Morsi would be eating humble pie, but on the other hand, the position would be giving excellent access to laboratory equipment. 

A little digging raised suspicions over the whole procedure of pass port and immigration, and even job application. Not enough to pin anything down "Mr. Assaf", but on the other hand, enough for alarm bells to ring. 

There was no way of knowing for sure that Assaf and Morsi were one and the same, but the circumstantial evidence all pointed to that being the case. 

It was a sight to see, Amir going full bore, vacillating between wheedling to demanding to out and out threatening over his phone.  Ms. van Cleef had done as he demanded.  He rarely raised his voice, he rarely was not smiling.  But now he was serious, and he was calling people and accruing favors, and collecting on them at a fantastic rate, until finally, blissfully, he finished up a call with Ana, who was going to turn around and report the information to AEGIS.

He sighed and closed his eyes.  "I have a lead.  I am going to see where it goes.  AEGIS is going to want to talk to you Khan.  I recommend doing so, as likely then will be on heels in case of a need for containment."  Putting his phone away, he moved to the gangplank, not entirely sure he could contain a nuclear explosion.  Or even if he had a choice.

GM

At the Hanover Institute of Technology

"McDuffy" said the name tag on the man. He wore a crisp suit. His hair was slicked into a crisp style, to cover the beginnings of baldness. Even his orange fake tan skin had a certain crispness to it. McDuffy may have been short and middle aged, but he prided himself on looking to consumerate PR professional for the HIT. 

"Delighted you could come, Mr Misri" said McDuffy, placing a "V.I.P" badge onto Amir's suit. 

"We at the HIT pride ourselves on being at the cutting edge of technology in the world. We have over one thousand employees in various subdivisions of our academic and practical engineering institutions, including our very own blah blah blah...

...and of course we are always delighted to develop more positive relationships within the private sector and I can assure you that any investment from you would be a wise one, considering our world class record in emerging technologies"

Most of McDuffy's spiel was prerecorded in his head, a standard patter to try and woo investors and donators, and explain how fantastic the HIT was. It was hard to concentrate on the bland spiel, although Amir was sure he could remember a fact or two if he tried. 

"So, as our very important guest today, how can I help? I am happy to show you any of our institution, and I am sure some of our key personel could spare a few moments!" he smiled, grinning like an automaton. 

• 2 weeks later...

Asad had an near infinite patience for the kind of glad handing that came with his position.  It was something he did, with aplomb, though 'McDuffy' was... pushing buttons as the press of a potential nuclear issue was weighing more on his thoughts, and so...

"Tell me, Mr. McDuffy, are you aware of how much funding Summit, as well as myself, currently gives to the Hanover Institute of Technology?  To be fair, we can exclude all the research projects the subsidiaries are involved with."  This was said with a smile, a pleasantness meant to disarm the patter the man used to woo someone like him.  Unfortunately, he wasn't dealing with the normal investors, as Amir al-Misri was perhaps the wealthiest man in Freedom City.  "If we go in overt spending and donations, then it was twelve point two million dollars last year, primarily for that new building you were looking into.  Now, if we add joint research efforts that number climbs to roughly forty-two million dollars, over the last four fiscal quarters.  So Mr. McDuffy, I appreciate your need to give me the standard speech.  However, I am not the standard person, nor do I have standard wants.  I would like to see Mr. Abdul Assaf."  Amir did not have to add 'immediately,' at the end of that sentence.  It was implied, and it was done with a gentle voice and that winning smile.  He wasn't threatening any of his recurring endowments for H.I.T., but he didn't have to, someone like McDuffy would infer that regardless.  Just like someone like McDuffy as anxious to impress people never noticed the details, like the fact that the palms of his hands were that spray-tan orange as well.

McDuffy may have blanched at the veiled insinuations. It was hard to say with his orange spray tan. Amir was astute enough to recognise the change in voice and involuntary muscle flicks in his face.

And so it was, with little fuss and less questions, McDuffy introduced Amir to Assaf.

The man was probably just under 50, a small man, short and thin. His brow was wide, his chin weak. He sported a short neat hairstyle and immodest moustache, both jet black and peppered with grey. He looked humble, weak but regal all at tge same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Amir never tried to intimidate the man, he didn't need to be.  His tone was polite, a small smile on his face.  He just let people infer, generally their assumptions were far worse than what he intended.  "Thank you Mr. McDuffy, I can see myself out."  And he smiled and waited for the man to leave before his focus shifted to Abdul Assif.  The billionaire was still in his very expensive suit, looking nothing like a person on a government payment, with movie star good looks, and a surprising impressive build.

Edited by TheAbsurdist

McDuffy looked like his feet were on slowly burning. He hopped impatiently and nervously from one foot to the other and back again. The infection spread, and soon he was wringing his hands nervously, wondering how he should redirect the tour back into his hands, and redirect Amirs money into the institution. 

He looked like he had an electric shock when Amir swung the axe. 

"Er...yes...well....if there is anything...that is....we would be delighted to....that is...I hope you can see that...err....goodbye..." he scuttled both in voice and body, seeing himself out of the room. 

Mr Assif studied Amir with patient, smouldering eyes, sizing up Amir and recognising him. 

"I know you" he said slowly. "I wonder what you want to speak to me for? I'm just a lab assistant" he said, tone calmly neutral. 

"Cute.  But a load of bullshit.  No one gets shortlisted at your age to get a Visa and become a lab assistant here.  Especially since you didn't really exist before, and you look as Turkish as I do."  A small smile on his face as he looked at Abdul.  "So, let's start from the top, and this time, why don't assume I am not a moron, because you are a very bad liar."

His lips curling into a pleasant smile as he locked gazes with Mr. Assif then preparing himself for... something he didn't know what entirely yet.

Doctor Morsi put down his instruments and turned to face Amir, a smile on his face - a defiant and unpleasant one. 

"I am indeed a very bad liar, Mr. Misri. I was not cut out for this undercover James Bond story. I was not cut out to be a lowly lab assistant. These idiots here...I am smarter than all of them! It is no surprise that I was found out" he said in a resigned way. 

"So, false passport, illegal immigrant. Yes, I confess my crimes. No doubt the CIA and the FBI...and UNISON...they would all be very pleased to have a top rate nuclear scientist defect to America, yes? Perhaps even more so if he can wag his tongue about the nuclear programmes and research in the middle east. The Americans are very worried about a dirty bomb going off in the homeland, are they not? perhaps the should be!"

"Pfah, this will delay me. I will have to seek sanctuary with the officials" he virtually spat the word out. 

"Who sent you then? which government agency do you work for?"

"Sent?  No one.  Honestly?  Do I look like someone working for a government?"  His eyes one Dr. Morsi, watching him, waiting for something.  "But..."  And then he switched from his accentless English to Arabic as he watched the Doctor and his reaction.  "I am glad to know that my fame isn't immediately seeping every where in the world.  It is somewhat gratifying to the say the least.  No I am a free agent, but I did leave a message to a few agencies who might hold interest."

Dr Morsi shrugged, holding out his hands for an expected handcuff. 

Then, when Amir said he was a free agent, he stopped, raised an eyebrow, and produced a cunning smile on his face. 

"A free agent you say? Then perhaps you would like to look deeper into this. Just why are you here? what have you been told? Not lies, perhaps, but half truths..." he said, slowly and deliberately, his hands falling to his sides. 

"I am a nuclear scientist, one of the best in the world. Working in the middle east, it is true to say my work and my expertise is in demand, shall we say. And when I say in demand, be aware that this is not the kind of workforce marketplace that operates on salaries and money alone. No, much more coersive demands can be made, and, as you Americans say, offers are made which cannot be refused..." he said, cryptically. 

"I am not clean, I am not a good man. But I am in hiding, for obvious reasons. And I am not a threat here. I just want to be left alone, and my family to be safe. My research...it is revolutionary. And some people have desired it, and when it did not work as they intended, and indeed was found to be dangerous, they came after me for revenge..."

He shook his head. 

"I have no desire to be exported back to the fate that awaits me. No, I would rather die!"

• 2 months later...

Asad closed his eyes then, his hands at his sides and clenching, as the air started to grow chill, bits of frost appearing on his body, only to slough off and melt before impacting the ground, not unlike a space rocket as it took off.  When he spoke his voice was taut, as he was aware that he was being led around, and that people weren't being entirely honest with him.  "Dr. Morsi, I was told there is a nuclear device in the city, I am trying to stop it."

Then he opened his eyes, and the excess energy that was building, was showing up as light as he made eye contact with the doctor.  "You are going to be honest with me.  I am not cloak and dagger, there is no interrogation, you are going to tell me what deals have been made, and what is happening.  Because, while I can very much be a diplomat, if a bomb is in play there is no diplomacy to be had."

Slowly his hand moved out and grasped the front of Moresi's clothes, his fist balling, and gripping at it as he lifted up the man like he was a feather.  "You will tell me.  If it is stopped and lives are saved, then I will put all of my influence to help you.  If I am not... then you will beseech Allah that I am paradise, because there is nowhere on earth you can hide from me.  Now, speak."

GM

Dr Morsi couldn't help but chuckle. A bitter chuckle, but not without mirth. 

"A nuclear device? Is that what you were told? Haha..haha..." he laughed coldly. "I suppose it is true, after a fashion. I imagine you are thinking of some nuclear dirty bomb. Or maybe a missile with a pointy tip? Perhaps, if you are feeling more modern, an EMP device?"

"The future, however, is not with the big. It with the small. It is with the unseen. Nuclear power can be minaturised. It can be coded. My work is dangerous, to be sure..."

Asad could see pinpoints of light glowing on his body, flaring. 

"...but it works. Even if it kills you..."

Dr Asad fell to the floor, his body giving off a few myoclonic jerks as it did, his eyes rolling backwards to become pure white. 

The brightness flared again, and then, out of his now comatose body, from the pinpoints of light, arose a fully formed, glowing man, Dr. Morsi's shadow, risen from his slumped body, made of pure energy. 

"You see?" said the distorted voice. 

"A weapon. My Fission Chips! Nuclear reactors so small, they are the size of a simple silicon chip. Coded to bioenergy and brain waves, able to project out this!" he said, displaying his energy form proudly. 

"And now, my friend, I have no wish to suffer the indignities of prodding, poking, interrogation...or worse. Leave now, or I will melt your brain!"

• 2 weeks later...

Threw up his left arm to block the brightness, as he was forced to take a step back then, his head turning.  His right hand moved to push the blue tooth earpiece of his phone.  "Ana!  Found Morsi, he is the nuclear weapon!  Tell them!"   Assuming he was able to get a signal out as Morsi went nuclear.  And then he dropped his hands to his side.  "Whatever little lab you were squirreled away in did not get much twenty-four hour news cycle, did it?  If not, I am hardly going to ruin the surprise, even if you are breaking my smartphones geiger counter.  Oh well, that is four hundred dollars well spent."

Amir was undaunted.  As he was no longer chasing a ghost, so much as dealing with a fission based lifeform.  Which was scarier, but... well he'd just have to contain him.

GM

"My cover was shred one way or another. Where were you going to take me, I wonder? What sinsiter outfit would vivisect my body and brain to get hold of my fission chips? Still, it matters not now. Either I use these to transform lives and the world, or I die with them. I will not have them missapropiated by secret services or private princes, particularly not the United States!" he said. 

Amirs fist move through his incorpreal radioactive body and accumulated an impressive glow. 

"See? You cannot harm me, not in this state...I have left my body behind..." he explained, pointing at the comatose physical body of Dr Morsi, still glowing from several points where the fission chips had been embedded under ship skin. 

"I, on the other hand, can hurt you plenty. My body is magnetised plasma!" he said, and reached out with grasping hands to plunge his arms through Amir. 

But his hand wasn't seared, there was some scorch marks on his clothing from passing through the intense radiation of Morsi's form.  "You really didn't pay attention to the news, do you?"  Amir's almost started to hum and glow as as absorbed the energy that would have likely burned him down to the bone.  "I find it admirable you want to change the world, I am just trying to stop you from nuking the Eastern Seaboard, which  doesn't seem to bother you!"

And then he hissed as the hand plunged into his chest, and he pulled back, more unhurt than Morsi would have probably expected.  "I bet you were expecting that to just drop me... well here is the thing, Doctor, you are energy right?  Well I absorb energy, and as much as pains me to do this..."  He reaches out to Morsi then, and starts to try to drain the energy that Morsi was made up of then.

GM

The crackling of energy was fierce and furious. Initially, Morsi glowed in resistance, a bright purple-green blaze that swept across Asad's arm. 

For a moment, a standstill moment, the two of them locked, Morsi's coherent energy form and Asads arm. But in the tug of war, Morsi was outmatched, and inexperienced. Crackling defiance all the time, the energy dimmed, pulsed, and dimmed, and was slowly sucked into Asad's body, volt by volt, watt by watt. 

In the last little spark of energy, a fizz was heard, and lines of glowing orange light stretched back to the inert body of Doctor Morsi on the floor. Each line whipped towards one of the several chips he had implanted under his skin, which also glowed faintly...

And then Morsi was gone. 

And flesh and bones Morsi sat bolt upright, as if electrocuted. 

"How did you do that! So much power? Impossible! Impossible!" he blabbed.