[IC] Fight the Power

olopi

Synth (as Marie Shane)

Not fit for life tests? that was both ambiguous and ominous. Presumably the scientist who had abducted her had jumped before walking. She imagined that Williams and Knight had developed something that was too unstable, too dangerous, or just too unknown, and he had decided to make his fortune gambling on it. 

Perhaps he had other warped motivations. Resentment, envy, fear. A host of other possibilities, with which one could have various sympathies. But in any case, it had driven him to experiment on live subjects. 

But was there a military application? Why had he experimented on fighters. Maybe they were fit. But that seemed unlikely. Athletes would have been fitter, and less dangerous. 

She flicked through pages of genetic microdeletions, triplicate repeats, qauntum RNA substrates. Mitochondrial DNA. 

But computers had security. Whereas files did not. 

But the clock was ticking. 

She got up and decided to do a targetted search of the files. SHe could not afford more than ten minutes,she thought, but she might strike lucky...get a flavour, at least...maybe even a lead...

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

Luck seemed to be on Synth’s side today. Maybe it was compensation for yesterday. The third file she’d had a closer look at revealed a fair amount of information. The two prior had not revealed a lot more than she’d gotten from the computer. But the third seemed to have been misplaced. It was a variety of reports from people working on the reproduction effort.

“…uncertain results  … too risky until further measures can be taken …. Combining the RNA may lead to complications … potentially risking the entire company … complete ban until these issues are better understood … change focus to a different project …

The research team included a variety of names. The only one Synth knew was Jason Hull, who had apparently worked on the project, and, as a quick search on the PC showed, been involved for most of it, as a fierce supporter of continuing with it even in the face of the complications that appeared.

Synth (as Marie Shane)

So...my suspicions look confirmed...

But no evidence. Of course. 

Jason Hull however, now that was a name. Her abductor!

She contemplated taking the files, but they were of limited value. And it would be dangerous. She could not afford to take such a risk. 

Instead, she turned to go out the way she came, wearing a skin of relaxation. As she passed the secretary, she snapped her fingers as if remembering something. 

"All looks clean. But....Jason Hull, do you remember him? He might be a...ummm....leak of disadvantageous material..." she said, diplomatically. 

Edited by Supercape

GM

The secretary looked up at Mariah as she left the room again with some surprise. Clearly, she’d expected it to take longer. Either way, once the door was closed, she replied.

“Just what I hear from the gossip. He’s still a bit chuffed about the project, his project being put on the back burner. And from what I gathered, he’d also really like one of the head research positions that are still vacant. But … leak? Doubt it. Certainly not to the feds. “

“He’s ambitious, selling out his own company would essentially destroy his career. He’s smarter than that. Or so I assume, at least.” She stopped for a second, as if she’d just realized something. And with a somewhat mocking, somewhat proud tone, added “Look at you, since when are you interested in the gossip?”

Synth (as Marie Shane)

"When we have AEGI...ah...." she cut herself off. "Sorry, but you know how it is. Everyone is on edge on top, jittery. Look, I can't tell you much, but you must have seen it? The nerves? Everyone covering their own backside?"

She wiped her brow from genuine sweat. 

"I have a horrible feeling Mr Hull is, appropriately for his name, going to sink us..."

He just might, too. Williams and Knight may not be completely clean, but what business is? They aren't the root of the rot, however. Jason Hull looks like he is the kind of man who would do anything to anybody...

"I'm going to have to get some help on this. We need to speak to him. So, in the spirit of newfound interest in gossip, do you know where he might be?"

GM

“Never seen you this paranoid. I don’t think it’s anything big. All of us were able to get to work today, so it can’t be that huge. We’ll be fine. Unless, of course, you were involved in it?” She raised her eyebrow, fishing for some more gossip, but perhaps also just having a bit of a laugher between friends (which her and the actual Mariah seemed to be?).

“Now, I’d suggest you just go and let AEGIS handle it themselves. But if you really need to know where Hull is, ask Shaw. She’s the one who can look at all that. With most people I’d guess he’s at home, but that guy’s a bit of a special one. So who knows. Also, no we for this one. I know I still owe you a favour, but I’ve got a fair amount of work to catch up on. And I don’t want to deal with James freaking out at me again. “

Synth (as Marie Shane)

"Shaw? Good idea" she said positively. Sarah Shaw! The woman I...

She brought her mind back to the present. Her heart tore again. Synth was horrified by manipulation and paradoxically most able to do so. 

But right now, time was running out. "I'll speak to her, then! Thanks for all your help!" she said, breezily. 

She sped back to the rest rooms, hopeful that the real Marie was still out cold. And with retrograde amnesia from transient hypoxia added her memories. That would be a push of luck, but it was possible. 

She did not want to stay longer in the building. She had mined the low-hanging fruit, and it was on AEGIS watchlist. Better to arrange a date with Sarah this evening, and see what she knew. The memories of Lena came up once more, implying it might even be pleasant, but alas those memories were but skeletal echoes, a sticking plaster on the gaping wound of guilt. 

A self-loathing made her grimace. No! Stay with it...think of what Hull might do...she told herself. It was an effective mantra, but the bad taste was still in her mouth. 

GM

Mariah still was exactly how Synth had left her. Fortunately enough, as anybody else walking into the room would’ve received quite a shock, probably. She switched out of Mariah’s clothes and back into her own, before dressing the unconscious woman back up too. Synth walked out of the restroom, to the elevator, and after handing having to hand in her guest pass, out of the building.

18:34 PM

Synth, in the form of Bella again, had gotten back to the bench she and Sarah had agreed on a few minutes early. And waited ever since. Most people had already left the office, but unless Sarah had sneaked out inside a crowd, she was still inside. None of the employees leaving the office looked particularly happy. And when Synth finally spotted Sarah, the same applied.

She had a rather annoyed look on her face as she came through the lobby, and exited the building. And even when she saw Synth, her expression only lighted up a bit, and she approached with some anger in her movement. Her tone was sweet, but also accusatory.

“Okay. How did you know? “

Synth (As Bella)

"Know what?" said Synth, innocently.

Innocently and honestly. She did not quite understand what Sarah was getting at. 

She swallowed her self-disgust, and smiled. It was not totally false; Sarah was a nice person, friendly, engaging. And they had share...what was it? a moment? It was all a bit strange for Synth. She was only a couple of years old, after all. 

"Know how great you are?" she suggested. "I didn't. But you showed me!"

"But lets get away from work, huh? Is there anywhere you would like to take me?"

GM

Synth’s words didn’t seem to do much to cheer up Sarah, who was standing in front of her, looking downwards.

“AEGIS. You knew. So what is it, are you one of them? Or whoever is responsible for it in the first place? Just using me to get access? C’mon, it’s too convenient. You show up today, know something about AEGIS, and want a job. You didn’t prepare a CV, yet knew things about the company. And you used me for it!”

By now, all the other pedestrians were taking a nice detour around the two, nobody trying to step in just yet.

“So, what is it? I’m just a tool, aren’t I? Your way of getting … something. And you don’t care. Cut the crap and explain yourself. “

Synth (as Bella)

Oooohhhh....

"AEGIS? they were..what, here?" she asked. She was only half-surprised. She had imagined the investigation was still embryonic, or distant. At the least, she hadn't expected that all the staff were grilled. 

Sarah thought she was an AEGIS agent? It was a risky road to take. Maybe...but not quite yet. 

"Sarah..please. I do my research, that's true. I'm a scientist, after all" she said, pleadingly. "And this is Freedom City. The best of places to get a science job, but also the worst. Its a cutting edge city, but cutting edge can become bleeding edge"

"I'm just looking to make a difference. Get a good job, but not sacrifice my morals when doing it. I think AEGIS probably do a good job, but I don't want to get mixed up with that sort of thing" she explained. 

"Maybe I did use you. I am scouting for work, and...well...you were kind and showed me around. You gave me a feel for the place that I would never have got, even if I had worked here a month. Maybe...maybe I'm paranoid" she said, ashamed of herself. 

"And even if I was AEGIS..would I have...you know..." she raised her eyebrows suggestively.

GM

“All this time, the only thing I was was a tool. Literally and metaphorically. Your name probably isn’t even Bella McEally. What do I know. Maybe you’re the reason we’re even being investigated. I don’t believe you. Goodbye. Don’t even try to track me down. “

She turned around, and slowly walked away, clutching her fists and actually trembling just a bit. And she wasn’t just angry, she seemed to be disappointed too. The crowd that had gathered to watch the two split right in the middle to let her pass, not even trying to stop her. And with her now walking away, so did they. There was nothing left to see.

Synth

Synth felt a cold, numb feeling. Dissociation she knew, but in a distant intellectual way. That was horrible and deserved. 

She got up, feeling like this was not happening. Everything looked like it wasn't quite there. Like she was watching herself on a TV screen. Like the world was made of cardboard and plastic. 

She made it a dozen steps. She made it another dozen. 

Then she stopped, fell to her knees and started sobbing uncontrollably. 

What was she? Human? She felt human. But she was only a simulacrum. She was lonely, so horribly lonely. And scared. A black dot in a tapestry. She had just had a rare connection with someone, the slight spark of love, of dialogue. Of being open. And she had just poisoned it. 

So lonely, so bitter. 

What was the point. Of anything?

She crawled up to standing, just walking, one foot in front of the other. She didn't know where to go. 

She needed to stop. Step away, just for a moment, rather than hurtling along, trying to be more than human and becoming less with every minute. 

Her head and heart spinning, she walked the streets back to her appartment. Somehow, she needed to connect again, and the only thing that came to mind was where this all started. With somebody who she had some kind of connection with. Ben "Breakfast" Bloom. She decided to become Winter Snow again, and just...have an hour talking with somebody. Before her brain exploded...

GM

Synth made her way back towards her apartment. It was not, by any means, a short distance. It took a while, and all the while, she got looks from other pedestrians. Maybe it was just her, but were there more than usual? Wherever she went, she could feel eyes on her, judging her.

After some time walking (by now it had even started to rain ever so slightly), she arrived back home. And after once more being Winter Snow, and wearing the appropriate outfit, it was time for her to seek out Breakfast. Chances were he was at home during a Sunday Evening. There weren’t many other places he could be at.

His house wasn’t too far away. After a short walk (the rain continued to get worse), she arrived there, and rang the doorbell to his apartment. No response. She tried again. No response again.

Synth (as Winter snow)

The memories were there, and allusions to transient stress-induced paranoia? formed. It was entirely possible, after the day she had had. 

She stabbed the doorbell one more time. Maybe he was out. Maybe she was being paranoid. Maybe she should run away to Brazil and start a new life as a vermin exterminator. Or run away to the circus in Spain. She wished she could speak Spanish. 

She took hold of herself. Breakfast should be in. Where was he?

Her nose might tell. Breakfast was a refuse collector after all, and had a tendency to sweat a lot. 

She got down on her haunches and sniffed around the front door, as innocently as possible. Was he in, did he go? And if he did go, where did he go to?

Edited by Supercape

GM

Synth sniffed around for a bit. It all was normal, even if the rain did its best to reduce any smell. There was nothing that stood out, nothing that she didn’t expect. Breakfast didn’t seem to be home, that was correct. However, there was no active trail leading away from the house either. Perhaps he’d left a while ago. Perhaps he actually was home?

She learned about some time of waiting and sniffing around. As she turned back around after having walked down the street in order to maybe pick up something, he turned the corner across from her. Him, his arm resting on a woman’s shoulder. Slightly taller than him, by no means bad looking. Whoever she was, Synth hadn’t heard of her before.

Once Breakfast spotted his colleague, his steps slowed down ever so slightly. He still had to get to the building, so he walked either way. Once he’d gotten close enough, he looked over at her, realizing her expression. He whispered something to the woman next to him, then turned his attention towards his colleague.

“Hey Winter, why the long face? Didn’t expect you to turn up all the sudden, what happened?”

Synth (as Winter Snow)

Synth was not jealous; Breakfast deserved friendship, and even love, as much as anybody did. But it was bad timing. 

"Oh...hi Breakfast...I'm sorry to interrupt...I was just..." she looked down, spiced with Shame. 

"I was just lonely Breakfast. Lonely, in a lonely city. I just needed a friendly face and a chat, I...didn't want to impose" she said. Although I am bleak enough to do so...

She turned to his companion. "I'm sorry...I really don't want to impose" she added, still feeling awkward and dejected. "Breakfast is a great guy, I work with him. Always cheers me up despite our jobs" she said, pulling out a wan smile. 

"I'm Winter. Winter Snow, pleased to meet you..."

GM

Breakfast cared for his friend. And he could tell something was up. But at the same time, he didn’t feel like missing this opportunity. It was no easy task. He was glad Winter had decided to give him the chance to think of his answer.

Meanwhile, the woman replied to Winter. She had a nice laugh, a genuine one. One that did, as much as she tried to avoid it, remind Synth of earlier today. “Nice to meet you, Winter. Good to hear that about him. I’m Emily, by the way. “

Then, Breakfast barged in. Gently. “I hate to do this, because if you walked all the way here it’s probably important. But … can I leave you hanging for a bit? I’ll give you a call later today, if that’s fine with you. I know that’s not great, but … well. “

Synth

"Ahhk...I hunderstand" said Synth, voice croaking. 

"Have a nice evening. Both of you" she said, keeping it together by reflex rather than judgement. The world seemed small and icy. "He is a great guy" she said to Breakfast's friend. 

She turned away, walking through the name. Every step, her feet felt heavier. Her legs, like lead. Even her senses, normally so acute, seemed to dull, like she was fading. Like she had nothing to hold on to. 

Except memories. 

I feared this might happen. You remember my fear...

Doctor Ingvar Nyberg, the genius who lead the team that created Synth. A brilliant neurophysiologist, he developed her mind. 

Without years developing attachments, memories, objects, you can plummet to despair...dissociate...and with your unique physiology these emotions are not merely unpleasant, they are toxic...even lethal....

...So I put in a safeguard...

As Synth's psyche dissolved in a soup of despair, Nyberg's surfaced. Of course, it was not actually him, just an echo. His memories and cognitive architecture rolled to the front of her synthetic brain, buttressing it. What emerged was a fusion of Synth's embryonic personality and Nyberg's. 

And such was the safeguards imprint, that Synth found herself, painlessly this time, having Doctor Nybergs face and body. 

He was a middle aged man, about fifty, blonde, even a little scruffy, with a full head of blond hair and an equally blond unshaven jaw. He had those Norwegian blue eyes, but they seemed so dark, like the bottom of a lake. He was perhaps gaunt, with some lines on his forehead around his eyes. But he had some semblance of a kind of regal good looks, and an impression of intelligence and nobility, even if he did look like a hippy scientist. 

"Nej! Woman's clothes!" he sighed. "I should have expected!" he sighed. 

He was thankful it was raining and the sun was down. He would be getting enough strange looks as it was scuttling back to Winter's apartment. This was, of course, Freedom City and cross dressing was part of the tapestry. Still, his personality was not that of a cross dresser and he felt quite uncomfortable. And looking uncomfortable was what made him noticeable...

Later...

Nyberg was relieved to be in male clothes. He was hardly a fashionable man, either in life or in this psychological hybrid. He put on the blandest clothes he could find. 

Now, before sleep set in and he would fade again, he needed to act. Resolve this, make it worthwhile. As Nyberg, he had no time for emotional storms when Synth's brain was in danger. Needs must. 

He stepped out of Winter's residence, determined to find Jason Hull. The quickest way would be Shaw, and despite an echo of horror, he needed the quickest way. 

He had been up for some time, and whilst resilient, his reserves were not endless. He took a stiff coffee. He took two. 

And then, marching through the rain and onto a bus, he made his way to Williams and Knight again. Not to break in. But people might still be lingering, and one of them might know where Shaw was. Probably drowning her sorrows, or something like that...

Edited by Supercape

GM

The reactions to Nyberg’s appearance on his way back to Synth’s apartment were about what he’d expected. Nothing beyond weird looks and a few comments, fortunately enough. And after he’d gotten some more suitable clothes, he was on his way again.

No interruptions on the bus this time, fortunately. Traffic made everything go slower, but after a while longer, he arrived (back) at K&W’s offices. Most lights in the entire area had gone out, not a lot of people were still working. Most of them seemingly had left a while ago. While not deserted, there certainly weren’t many people still walking around the area, drawing just a bit of attention to Nyberg.

Whereas before the ground floor had been quite full, always a few people moving, right now it was almost empty. Only a few lights still illuminated the room, and only a single reception desk was still open, the woman sitting at it looking at her phone.  

Synth / Nyberg

Alert, Nyberg walked up to the reception desk woman, eyes clear and focused. Caffeine had hit his system, but he knew that even with his creations abundance of endurance, it had been a long twenty four hours on all fronts. He had to sleep eventually, and that would be dangerous for Synth's brain unless he could provide solace. 

"Excuse me" he began, taking measure of the receptionist. 

"I'm looking for someone who works here, Sarah Shaw. I understand she might still be in the office, or nearby?" he started. His hand was thin, but his determination was not. 

"I really need to speak to her on a matter of some urgency. I wonder if you can help?" he asked, looking around the office. With all that had happened, who knows where she had gone? Home? Drinking? Both?

GM

Without even looking up from her phone, the woman replied. She sounded, by all accounts, disinterested. Her voice was rather quiet, but she managed to get her point across.

“Ms. Shaw left a few hours ago. If you want to, I can leave her a message, Mr …?”

There wasn’t a whole lot to see in this part of the office building. Windowfronts, leading to the outside, including a clear sight of that bench. A man in a business suit had just walked up to it, where a woman in much plainer clothes was waiting. She greeted him with a kiss, before the two of them sat down, starting to talk.

The inside wasn’t as interesting. A few potted plants. The security barriers were the same as earlier today. They required a keycode, yet at the same time were easy enough to leap over even for somebody without training. Up in the corner, as expected, a surveillance camera.

Synth / Nyberg

As predicted...Williams and Knight had their protocols up tight. No personal information to be given out. Duly professional. This probably was always the case but with an AEGIS investigation he could see countless e mails flying around their office, reminding, on pain of death (or firing) the protocols about personal information. 

"Thank you. I hope the delay doesn't cost her..." he said, bluntly. His mouth had a slight cruel tint, thanks to frustration. And he never was one for being professional. It dulled creativity, in his opinion. 

Time for the back up plan. 

He went to the entrance hall, and took a deep breath in through his nostrils. The scent would be faint, but he was intimate with it. The memory was vivid, and painful, and with it, he found himself having to assert the hybrid personality. 

No...not yet...too fragile....he told himself. 

But that vivid memory served well for tracking Sarah, and that was what he intended to do...

GM

The woman did seem a bit surprised by the fact Nyberg didn’t want to leave a message, or inquire further. She just shrugged as he walked away, too occupied with whatever was happening on her phone to care.

The scent was weak. Lots of people passed through this area, and above that, it had been raining. Still, after some time sniffing around, he finally found the right one. It was barely there, and concentrating on not losing it made him bump into a few people along the way, neither of them doing much more than being slightly annoyed, fortunately.

He tracked it down to a food truck. There, the scent got too strong, and he lost it. Finding it again, between the smell of spices, the rain, and all the people in the area, would be incredibly difficult. On the other hand, perhaps it offered new opportunities, as the man inside the truck looked down at Nyberg.

“Eh, looking for a meal?”

Synth / Nyberg

I am hungry actually...

"Sure" said Nyberg. In this form, in this psyche, his English had a slightly Scandinavian twist. He swam in the sea of spices and scents. 

"Never turn down a free meal. It is free, right?" he said, smiling in a friendly manner. 

On the other hand, his stomach might have to wait. 

"I'm looking for a woman...about so high...." he explained, giving a brief description of Sarah "...she has taken my wallet by accident" he explained. "So no money for your lovely meal!" he explained, hopefully killing too birds with one stone. 

"I think she went past this way. You didn't happen to see her, did you?"