Uplink - PL7 Cyber Detective

LevelTwoBard

So, when I first got here my plan was to make an Oracle-type character, using Datalink to support other heroes from behind the scenes. But since the focus is, for very good reasons, on more active heroes, I started thinking about other builds. Then it occurred to me that I could always just throw a dash of Batman into my Oracle and take him on the road. Uplink is the result. However, Uplink's particular configuration of powers, skills, and feats is based on the most complex logical progression I've ever tried when building a character, so I want to make sure it'll fly before I formally submit him. Please let me know if my logic is wrong here.

With the Eidetic Memory feat, Uplink can use all Knowledge skills untrained. With Datalink 6 (20-mile range), he can mentally connect to a computer and thus the internet from anywhere in Freedom City as a free action. With Mental Quickness 14 (50,000x speed), he can perform over twelve hours (43,200 seconds) of research as a free action (less than one second), provided that it's mental only. Therefore, Uplink can Take 20 on any Knowledge check by simply reading through all pertinent information on the internet at impossible speeds (a listed use of Quickness) and remembering it perfectly, so long as he is within twenty miles of an internet-capable computer.

He does, however, lose his dodge bonus while doing so, because his Datalink is Distracting [-1].

If I made a mistake at some point in that progression, or if it's considered stretching things too far, please let me know. Then again, if he doesn't need that much Quickness to Take 20, please let me know that, too! I would also really appreciate it if someone could look over Uplink's sheet and make sure I didn't mess up my math or otherwise do something stupid. Uplink was originally filthy rich and had status to go with it, and I might try to fit that back in if there are places I can cut points without losing too much effectiveness.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

Uplink - PL7

Abilities: 0 + 2 + 0 + 10 + 4 + 6 = 22PP

Strength: 10 (+0)

Dexterity: 12 (+1)

Constitution: 10 (+0)

Intelligence: 20 (+5)

Wisdom: 14 (+2)

Charisma: 16 (+3)

Combat: 6 + 6 = 12PP

Initiative: +5 (Speed of Thought)

Attack: +3 Melee, +7 Ranged

Grapple: +0

Defense: +7 (+3 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +1 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -0

Saving Throws: 6 + 6 + 6 = 18PP

Toughness: +7 (+0 Con, +4 [Defensive Roll], +3 [undercover Vest])

Fortitude: +6 (+0 Con, +6)

Reflex: +7 (+1 Dex, +6)

Will: +8 (+2 Wis, +6)

Skills: 52R = 13PP

Bluff 3 (+6)

Computers 10 (+15) Skill Mastery

Diplomacy 3 (+6)

Disable Device 5 (+10) Skill Mastery

Drive 9 (+10) Skill Mastery

Investigate 5 (+10)

Notice 8 (+10) Skill Mastery

Search 5 (+10)

Sense Motive 4 (+6)

Feats: 30PP

Attack Focus (Ranged) 4

Defensive Roll 2

Dodge Focus 4

Eidetic Memory

Equipment 4

Improved Ranged Disarm

Online Research

Precise Shot

Quick Draw

Ranged Pin

Skill Mastery

Speed of Thought

Throwing Mastery 6

Uncanny Dodge (Hearing)

Well-Informed

Equipment: 20EP

Motorcycle (Caltrops, Remote Control) [11EP]

Undercover Vest [4EP]

Utility Belt (Smoke Grenade [4EP], Shuriken [3EP]) [5EP]

Powers: 3 + 7 = 10PP

Datalink 6 (Mental, 20-mile range; Flaws: Distracting [-1]) [3PP]

Quickness 14 (50,000x normal speed; Flaws: Mental Only [-1]) [7PP]

DC Block

ATTACK         RANGE                SAVE                       EFFECT

Shuriken        10ft (50ft max)      DC22 Toughness     Damage (Physical)

Improvised     10ft (50ft max)      DC21 Toughness     Damage (Physical)

Unarmed        Touch                   DC15 Toughness     Damage (Physical)

Totals: Abilities (22) + Combat (12) + Saving Throws (18) + Skills (13) + Feats (30) + Powers (10) - Drawbacks (0) = 105/105 Power Points

EDITED: Accidentally put the wrong version of the sheet here. Fixed now.

Edited by LevelTwoBard

What you're talking about sounds mechanically correct, but it may be a bit hinky rules-wise. Other than that, the biggest problem I see is that the character does not hit their offensive attack caps. It is recommended that a PC hits their defensive caps at all times (which you do) and their offensive caps with at least one attack. Right now your best shot is with your shurikens, which... I'm not sure what that is. Blast 1 (Feat: Mighty 1)? How are you building that?

Welcome to Freedomcity PbP, LevelTwoBard!

• Quickness [Mental Only] would apply to many mental tasks, not just Internet knowledge gathering. Personal opinion (and seeing as I am not a ref, take it with a grain of salt), but you could apply the [One Task: Datalink] Flaw instead, a -2 flaw, that would apply only when you are working on a computer through your datalink connection. Quickness 15 (100,000x normal speed; Flaws: Datalink Only [-2]) [5PP]. Plus, you save on 2PPs that way.

• As a Communication power, Datalink CAN, in fact, have the Distracting flaw. I see nothing wrong here, RAW-wise.

• As a general guideline (not a rule, per se), a PC should have at least an average of PL-2 on her non-Toughness saves. Seeing as yours averages at 6, while your PL is 7, means that you will be perfectly fine, and in fact, you can afford to lower them a bit, saving you 3PPs in the process! Your choice to make, of course.

• There does not appear to be a distinction between melee and ranged disarm in the feats section. You could simply write Improved Disarm

• How is it that you have DC21 Improvised Damage on your DC Block?

Everything else appears to check out!

I'm not sure what that is. Blast 1 (Feat: Mighty 1)? How are you building that?

It is Blast 1 with Piercing and Autofire, according to the book. However, I note that the sheet has Throwing Mastery 6, making him meet his caps completely.

Shuriken is from M&M COre rules (Blast 1, Autofire).

Throwing Mastery 6 would add to throwing attacks. There may be some fudge here about whether that actually stacks with Blast (which would put you at caps). Techinally, Shuriken is a blast attack so I suppose, again technically, that would not stack (A "Thrown" attack is something else). That might be waved. Although I think the safest thing to do would be just bump Throwing Mastery up to 7 and use playing cards, safety pins, or whatever else you fancy.

Distracting on datalink may well come under scrutiny, which is not to say it wont be allowed. But the distracting flaw on primarily non-combat skills is looked at a bit carefully, to see if it truly is worthy of a drawback. Looks fun. I imagine those skills could do with fleshing out with earned PP.

A personal note, I would probably drop the souped up Motorcycle at this stage. Just get a regular free one. Frees up 4 PP you could spend elsewhere?

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Vahnyu, the One Task flaw idea is brilliant; thanks! I'll definitely consider dropping Uplink's saves a bit; three points could go a long way, as that's enough for filthy rich right off the bat. I do, however, believe that there is a distinction between Improved Disarm and Improved Ranged Disarm. The latter is from the Mastermind's Manual, and eliminates the -4 penalty to ranged disarm attempts; it is explicitly allowed under the site's house rules. Since Improved Disarm gives a +4 to the opposed strength check, I'm not sure if it applies to ranged disarm attempts. The DC21 improvised is from Throwing Mastery 6.

If I add the Machine Control feat to Datalink, making it more obviously something that has combat utility, would that help justify the Distracting flaw? A universal remote control has impressive implications in a fight, so much so that I must ask: what would the limits be? If Datalink can suddenly be used to jam guns, steer cars, and turn off refrigerators it seems like a huge boost for a 1PP feat.

Raveled and Supercape bring up good points about the Shuriken; logically they are thrown weapons, but mechanically they are not. I was just hoping to have Autofire, which adds a lot of versatility; I can't get it with just Throwing Mastery. Although the thought of safety pins being thrown with more force than a sniper rifle round is amusing enough to be tempting, maybe I would be better off dropping Throwing Mastery and using those six points to build a Device weapon. In that case I will also drop the motorcycle and weapon belt to free up most of those Equipment PP.

Device Weapon Idea

Perhaps I've been spending way too much time playing the Arkham games lately, but I came up with a Techstaff that combines Robin's shield staff (Deflect), Deathstroke's staff that shoots things out of the ends (Trip and Snare), and the asylum guards' electric batons (Stun).

I will Switch Throwing Mastery 6 and 3 ranks of Equipment for Device 3 (Techstaff, Easy to Lose) [9PP]

Array 5 (10PP; Feats: Alternate Power 5) [15/15PP]
Base Power: Strike 7 (Feats: Extended Reach 2, Mighty) [10/10PP]
Alternate Power: Deflect 5 (All Ranged Attacks) [10/10PP]

Alternate Power: Snare 7 (Flaws: Entangle; Feats: Accurate 2, Ricochet) [10/10PP]
Alternate Power: Stun 5 [10/10PP]

Alternate Power: Trip 7 (Accurate 2, Ricochet) [10/10PP]

Accordingly, I will switch Attack Focus (Ranged) for (Melee), Improved Ranged Disarm for Improved Disarm, Precise Shot for Elusive Target, Ranged Pin for Improved Block, and Quick Draw for Weapon Bind. Mighty does nothing at the moment, but it allows me to keep damage at caps when Uplink's PL increases by increasing his Strength, which I plan to do anyway.

Further thoughts are very much welcome!

Edited by LevelTwoBard

The latter is from the Mastermind's Manual,

ah, nevermind me, then!

As for the techstaff, keep in mind that Snare and Trip are naturally ranged! If you want to use them in touch range, you should consider adding the appropriate flaw. Alternatively, you could apply reduced range drawback. Otherwise, you can just leave them as is

Edited by Vahnyu