Down and out in Languedoc and Hell (IC)

Tiffany Korta

"Well, horses are not as comfortable as a carriage, but less wearisome on the feet" conceded Rene. "I like not the task of taking you to the town, a whole day's riding with me watching my back...what say you to that? Are you ready to stab me in the back?"

He took up the mans musket and, with a focus of will, painted it in living fire, igniting it. He casually though it on the road. At least the man would not shoot him in the back. 

"And once we get to the town, what then? Hmm...I have half a mind to send you packing with your horses, rather than baby sit you. After Father Henri and I justly relieve you of two of your mounts..."

He turned to Father Henri.

"What say you? Whatever road we take, I fancy it leads to this mysterious town..."

• 5 weeks later...

"If you plan to try to enter the town then you're both as good as dead, and I have no desire to join you as you ride to you death. So either let me go or put a bullet in my head, you'll be doing me a favor."

The bandit leader was defiant to the last apparently more scared of what they would find in the town.

Father Henri who had been quiet for a while finally spoke, his voice took on a rather grim tone.

"I'm more than just a parish priests and I've dealt with similar situations in the past, but this sound worst I've heard about."

"Bullets are for cowards and guttersnipes, Monsieur!" retorted Rene. 

"My boot, on the other hand, is a perfect match for your rear end!" he finished, kicking the Bandit solidly in his ass. 

"Begone, begone! If I ever hear of you robbing again, I shall put a bullet in your ass, not my boot!" he shouted at the departing scoundrel. 

"'Tis less than he deserves, Father. But I have a feeling wrath will be flowing more freely 'ere the day ends" he said, his words spiced with grim flavour. "this Village sounds dire indeed, and our carriage is wrecked. If you care to tend to the needy there, I think we shall need travel by horse. Otherwise, it will be a long walk. Can you ride?" he asked, politely. Part of him wished the Father would abstain from this danger, but he knew the Father had more to him than met the eye. 

• 1 month later...

The ride through the forest was not unpleasant. Father Henri wasn’t the best of rider but he kept up well enough, if it wasn’t for the possible trouble at their destination.

As they got closer thing seemed to suggest that something was amiss in the area. The farmland surrounding the town were untended, long enough that nature was begin to regain its foothold on the land. The road overgrown and less tended than you would expect even this far from civilization. As the town appeared on the horizon it almost appeared abandon, as if it was battened down ready for a siege.