Winter's Heart (IC)

Thevshi

"I stop myself from going too far.  Mostly.  I am aware of the noise around me.  Harder when control becomes more relaxed."  He frowned then, and his eyebrows furrowed as he lifted his head and looked up at the sky.  "Something like that, it is more complicated.  My empathy doesn't every turn off, and there is complexity there that language doesn't relay.  How do you explain color to someone?  I can show people, but that sort of communion is... difficult, complex.  Not everyone wants that.  And I have to respect that."

And then he smiled, and laughed a little.  "The problem is that I am keenly aware this important to me.  And not necessarily everyone else.  It is... what do they say?  A teen thing.  So, erm... yeah.  I spend a lot of time over thinking and worrying over my powers and how they impact how I relate to people... because... now I do.  And I didn't before.  I kind of want to go back to the woods again.

• 2 weeks later...

Giang gave a small nod.  "This is a time when many struggle with fully understanding themselves and determining their identities.  It just seems that a number of us here at this school have an added layer of complexity to those problems."

She then regarded him closely for a moment herself as he mentioned going back to the "woods."  "Do you really?  Such a choice of action, while likely a simple solution for the difficulties you have been dealing with, also seems much like..quitting."

"You do not strike me as someone who easily quits something he sets out to do."

His expression when blank, and he rested his hands on his hips as he stared out ahead of himself now.  "We are all here for different reasons.  Most of the classes try to impress upon us some gravity of history.  They also try to get us to socialize, like any other high school."  A frown was on his face as he shifted his hands back behind himself, and he leaned back a bit, and frowned still.

"Afterwards what then?  The big question.  I suppose.  I already know my course.  I already know that I will have to make sacrifices in the face of that.  I can quit learning to smile and make small talk.  This..."  He lifted a hand to gesture around at the buildings and the school around them, "... is only so useful."

"Then you are well ahead of me, and I would imagine a good number of other students here."  Giang replied as Elias mentioned already knowing what his future course would be.  "Whatever I may have thought my future might be, that has dramatically changed.  And so my time here provides me the opportunity to consider new possibilities, all of which will involve their own hardships and challenges."

The Asian teen looked over towards the school’s buildings as she continued, "but I must admit, that I have enjoyed the opportunity to interact with those my own age that this school provides.  Even as frustrating and confusing as that can be at times.  But then, I am able to shut everything out when I choose to."

"The future is not a fixed destination, I suppose."  He shrugged a little bit.  "They want us to understand, to be better.  But that sentiment is broad, and hard to interpret.  Is weighted by societal and cultural moires.  Without a personal impetus towards this ideal it wont hold.  Despite the manipulative efforts.  Ironic, trying to instill selflessness during the time when humans are at their most selfish."

"Some of us... arrive here, with something in mind.  Weren't blue collar.  Was something else."  The hand that had been gesturing rested against his arm.  "Like you."  And then he looked back up to her, his hazel eyes at odds with his dark brows knitted together as he examined her.  "Measured words.  Comment about interaction.  Exhibits high degree of training in power and physical abilities.  Evidence indicates you grew up in nonstandard environment.  Some comment demonstrative of monastic background.  Facility with English most troubling aspect.  Stop... back...  Right handed?"  As he rattled off his observations his eyes started to move in a fashion similar to REM sleep, then stopping and focusing back on her face sharply.