Knuckling down (IC)

Supercape

GM

Monday 6th November

At 06:00 in the morning, Freedom City was just beginning to wake up. Tired commuters were starting up their morning routines ready for another grinding day at the office. Shift workers were preparing to hand over and catch some well earned sleep, and certain early jobbers like the postal workers and garbage collectors were making the most of the streets before the hell of rush hour started.

And Detective Robin Bronze squatted down by a body in a corpse in the Fens.

"African American, late 50's, shot at close range" she said, yawning and recording her voice. She was a good detective, well educated, but she had to much "attitude" to make it.

She was a lean woman who looked like she had ancestors in every corner of the world, giving her a dark brown complexion and short jet black hair that cropped a handsome face.

"Second one this month. Something's happening down in the Fens..." she muttered as she stood up. Of course, it was anybodies guess...what with the sleazy adult shops, the dug dealers, and bars, there was plenty of "under the couter" stuff going on here, and various people elbowing each other out of the way to get a slice of the action. It normally didn't escalate to murder though. The hustlers here had a line. And somebody was crossing it.

Robin rolled her head from side to side, ironing out the knots. And of course the Police had a habit of failing to know what was going on the Fens. No doubt a few people were taking bribes. And there was a code of silence on both sides of the law.

What they needed was somebody outside to investigate.

Damn, it was good when the Steel Shrike used to patrol this area.

The Fens...

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. At least not in Freedom City.

Still, it was an area he had been neglecting on his patrols; something he aimed to rectify immediately.

Gliding from Rooftop to Rooftop, Shrike's attention was drawn to the sound of sirens. Police activity this early in the morning? He needed to investigate.

Coming to a stop a few rooftops away, the mechanized hero watched as the police gathered around a bloody corpse. A Murder... at 6:00 no less. Either it had been there a while, or someone was getting bold. Perhaps he should move in to investigate further...

GM

"Speak of the devil!" said Robin, as she spotted Shrike on the rooftops.

"Nothing officer!" she said, dismissing the Rookie who asked what she was on about.

"I need to clear my head. One too many corpses...get Forensics down here to toothcomb this. I'll be back in a few minutes..." she said, persuading the young man that she needed to get some air.

A few minutes later, she had hauled herself up a Fire Escape to meet the Steel Shrike once again.

Wish I could fly like he does... she grunted to herself. She was pretty fit, but scrabbling up four floors of fire escape ladders was a bit rich at this time of the morning.

"Hey partner" she said, addressing the caped hero "good to have you back! where have you been? good timing for your return - I could use you right now..."

Shrike was so engrossed with the investigation that he failed to notice the lead detective climbing up to meet him.

"Hello there! It's good to be back, yes."

'OhGodWhoIsThisPerson? Of all the times to have forgotten to update your old contact list...'

'It's fine... just act natural. She clearly knows you. You just need to play it cool.'

"Mind telling me what's going on? Looks like a mess down there."

'Just focus on the case. If you can focus on the case, you might be able to get through this...'

GM

"Good to have you back, Birdbrain..." she started. Birdbrain was obviously a pun on Steel Shrike, and of course in an affectionate way. It could be read as indicating intelligence in a bird, or the intelligence ofa bird. The double meaning brought a smile to her lips.

"Where have you been? we missed you round here. I missed you" she winked.

"You picked a good time to come back too, got a stiff down there. Things are getting rough. Well, rougher than normal. That's the second body we picked out of the garbage in just as many weeks..."

She spoke to Shrike like an old, close friend. It was impossible to say exactly what there relationship was, but Robin Bronze clearly knew the old hero.

'Birdbrain? Who is she calling... oh, she's smiling. Is that?

...Oh God, is she... did they... Oh God I wasn't equipped for that! What am I going to do?!'

"I had a bit of an accident. I'm fine now, though. But it's held up my patrols for quite some time now."

He tried not to jump to conclusions. Focus on the case.

"...Two bodies in two weeks? Mind if I take a look?"

Investigation! That'll distract her. Then once he got the info he could solve this case and not have to deal with all this social stuff. Yeah.

...He hoped.

GM

Detective Bronze followed Steel Shrike around as he investigated the scene.

"You still got it, Birdbrain" she said, acknowledging Shrike's painstaking and thorough examination of the 'stiff' and the surrounding area. She was pretty good at this herself, and helped him with the search, but she nodded at his expertise.

"Bullet, guess that one went astray. Odd...the shooter looked pretty clinical..." she muttered as the solitary slug was pulled out of a wall it was embedded in.

"That looks promising" she commented, as a tint tatter of fabric was peeled away from a jutting drain pipe. "Guess our shooter needed to get away fast, got snagged..."

Fortunately, Shrike's processors weren't hampered by anxiety.

"I'd like to think I never lost it." He said, as he knelt down next to the body.

Because he was sure going to lose it if she found out he wasn't the guy she thought he was...

One quick web search later. "...This is Winston Wade, local Jazz Musician. ...Shot point blank. Straight through the heart too. Poor guy..."

Did he know this guy, he hoped he wasn't suppose to know this guy. "Horrible way to go... I hope he didn't suffer..."

Shrike distracted himself by examining the body a bit further. "Hrm... Injection sites, signs of Diabetes... why would someone want to kill this poor man, is my question..."

He glanced at the sliver of fabric hanging from the drain pipe. "Maybe that'll give us our answer. You recognize it?"

GM

Robin looked at the fabric carefully. "Beat's me..." she said "just a few strands of fabric. Wouldn't be admissible in court anyway, circumstantial evidence. But you and I know its a clue, all right - it could help us look for who did this. It will need some lab work, of course. And that will take time, they are snowed under as normal. Time we don't have. You know the score, the longer we wait, the colder the trial..."

She shrugged.

"I'll be happy to let you have a look at it, as long as you keep me in the loop. You used to have some birdcage, or something, a secret HQ? Wish you showed me that. DO you still have it? If so, take it there and microscope it. And you could always let me see..." she added hopefully!

"I'm afraid I can't reveal my secret lair to you yet."

'It's a disaster area.'

"But, I'll be sure to take this to my lab and check it out."

If it'll get me out of this conversation...

"Now... if you'll excuse me... I'll convene with you as soon as I find anything."

Shrike wrapped himself in his cloak, vanishing from sight as he took to the rooftops.

Later...

If robots could breathe, Shrike would have let out a massive sigh of relief as he entered The Nest. Who was that woman?

If he was going to be working for her, he'd need to know her name.

"Alright, after I'm done investigating this fabric, I'll look her up in my databases... Father had to put something in there, right?"

GM

Detective Inspector Robin Tyran Bronze

Date of Birth 9/9/79

Notes:

College studied criminology and sociology, graduated 2003. Showed interest in link between social deprivation and crime rates.

Graduated second in class at police academy, merits in law and firearms.

On the force ever since.

Unmarried. 2 Long term relationships (with women, homosexual orientation as far as known), current partner Josephine Moor, pianist and music teacher, teaches in the Fens too...

Several commendations for good work on the force.

Two reprimands for disobeying authority.

No criminal record.

Clean bill of health.

No psych reports available.

Parents and younger sister living in Canada (moved in 2000).

There were realms of other fine print notes on her. Clearly Shrike had taken down a few notes on the woman - or more. The report seemed to show a competent, good hearted woman, a fine detective with a little bit of a rebellious streak. Somehow, she enjoyed working the Fens. She had a soft spot for the most deprived areas and communities.

One of the benefits of being an entirely digital intelligence is that multitasking was simply a matter of delegating RAM.

So as one set of robotic hands worked tirelessly over a rack of test tubes and beakers, the Steel Shrike's eyes were getting a direct feed from his internal databases.

He was admittedly relieved at the mention of sexual orientation. That was one awkward situation avoided. Just a contact and informant. He quickly committed all of the fine print to his mobile memory. That way he wouldn't have to be so awkward when he saw her again.

Hopefully...

Turning his attention back to his samples, he mulled over the case.

"A left handed, red haired, human shooter wearing a leather jacket. Good place to start."

He established an uplink to the Nest's Communication Array. Where did he put that contact information...?

GM

"Hi who is this? Ah its you!" replied Detective Robin Bronze.

"You always block your number...well, I guess I won't be seeing the Shrike-Cave, or wherever it is you hang out. Maybe I'll twist your arm one day...."

She listened dutifully to the Steel Shrikes description.

"You got all that, damn, that was fast. Faster than our lot, although I guess they are a bit busier than you. And less well resourced probably. But even so, I don't think they could do such a good job even on the best of days....I forgot how good you where, I guess..."

She paused.

"Damn, we missed you. I missed you..."

"Well, we got some detail on the shooter. That should cut it down a bit. A lot even, but there are still many people who are left handed, red haired, and wear leather jackets. Perhaps we should focus on the victim. He played many of the venues in town. Perhaps he got in trouble? maybe we should check it out?"

"Do you like jazz, honey?" she asked.

"Heh, maybe someday after I get it cleaned up a bit." said Shrike, as he glanced nervously around the Nest. It was filthy... empty. More like a tomb than a hero's lair.

It was a tomb, and he was a ghost. A robot ghost, but... one nonetheless.

"...I miss you too, Robin."

He blinked. Where did that come from?

Never mind... focus on the case.

"I do like Jazz, actually."

At least... he liked it enough to have some preloaded into his database.

"And it's been a while since I've seen a show."

A while being never.

"Any idea where the last place our victim played was? Maybe we should meet up and investigate."

GM

"Yeah, I did some detective work myself you know. Seeing as I am a detective..." her tone was sarcastic but friendly.

"Winston Wade last played at the top Brass its a Jazz club, but we have had our eye on it for a while. Drug dealing is a common sideline, and its had its fair share of bar room brawls. We think it may be run by criminals, or perhaps its just being extorted. Its a murky world out there..."

She trailed off before starting again "in any case, that would be the best place to make some inquiries. So, what's the plan? you got a nice crisp suit to go with that mask? or perhaps you can tinkle the ivories or play the drums and go undercover?"

She gave a little chuckle out at the last comment.

"I'm sure I've got a suit around here somewhere." Shrike smiled.

Assuming he could find one that fit over the suit, anyway. Peter David wasn't lacking in formal wear, but the musculature of the Shrike costume was always slightly... "exaggerated". At least when compared to the original hero's actual build.

Still, there should be a formal look somewhere. Right?

One suit rental later...

Alright, so The Nest has a moth problem. At least he managed to get this suit fit, anyway.

With his cape doing it's best cummerbund impression under his jacket, The Steel Shrike waited a safe distance from The Top Brass, keeping an eye out for his co-patriot in crimefighting.

GM

Dr Robin Brass arrived shortly after, hovering outside the Top Brass in a black dress that fitted her very well. To be frank, she looked extremely attractive and she had to fend off a couple of admirers or more. She had a sleek, athletic and voluptuous figure all at once. And, it seemed, she was not unaware of her allure.

"Goddamn it, late again..." she muttered looking at her watch "then again, he always has to turn up dramatically, the damn show off..." she cast her eyes about the scenery and tapped her foot.

The Top Brass was indeed an exccellent Jazz Club, average bar, and slightly poor quality restaurant all rolled into one. With that portfollio, it attracted a strange mix of hipsters, culture vultures, hopeless bar flys and seedy criminals all in one. Two huge bouncers dressed in black tie stood outside, giving menacing looks behind their black shades to indicate they would not tolerate any trouble. Or at least, only the kind of trouble they wanted.

Shrike emerged from the shadows behind Robin, the faint outline of a smile showing beneath his mask.

"Sorry I'm late. Had to stop and grab a a few things." he said, as he tipped his newly rented fedora at the detective.

"Do I look okay? I'm feeling a bit obvious at the moment, with the mask and all. I'm kind of secretly hoping everyone will be distracted by how lovely you look tonight to notice, though." he joked.

"Anything interesting happen while I was busy? I don't want to miss any of the excitement."

GM

"Do I look okay? I'm feeling a bit obvious at the moment, with the mask and all. I'm kind of secretly hoping everyone will be distracted by how lovely you look tonight to notice, though."

"Anything interesting happen while I was busy? I don't want to miss any of the excitement."

"Charmer, aren't you..." replied Robin, smoothing down her dress "perhaps I should have been less dressed up, but it's nice to put on some nice clothes for once..."

The Steel Shrike looked unusual, to say the least, but aside from a few raised eyebrows he got no other attention. All sorts of oddballs turned up in the evening, and for all anyone knew, he was just a party goes with a masquerade mask. One or two recognised "The Steel Shrike" but as the hero had been inactive for some time, took no particular heed.

Inside the Top Brass, things were swinging. A little four piece jazz band were playing up temp, frentic jass. The air smelt of sweat, alcohol, and the faint fumes of a few illicit substances. All manner of people where here, dressed up, dressed down, and dressed plain oddly.

"So, whats the plan, bird brain?" asked Robin...

"Oh, I don't know. Chat up the regulars, enjoy the music..." said Shrike, idly stirring a beverage he hadn't even touched.

"Or. If you're in a practical mood, I guess one of us could serve as a distraction while the other excuses themselves for a moment." Shrike idly gestured to his cummerbund, which briefly rendered itself invisible as he spoke.

"And if that doesn't work. Well, I could always just forget to leave. What do you think? We're in this together after all, aren't we?" he asked, with a shrug.

GM

"Just like old times, partner..." agreed Robin, ordering herself a vodka and coke at the bar "what are you having, bird brain? your usual?" she asked.

"You're paying, of course, seeing as how I am only on a detective's salary and you are loaded..." she added with a smile.

The band were good, playing a fast and frentic jazz number with a intricate running bass line and an outstanding drummer tapping away. No singer, but then, it would have been a devil to sing along to something that wild.

There were certainly many people to talk to. The joint was packed. Some students, some jazz fans, and clearly a couple of people in suits and shades who looked like they where here for more than just jazz. The manager of the club was holed away on a side table, tucking into a steak with two large men by his side. He was a bald headed, slightly overweight man who had that kind of solidity of muscle and bone under his paunch. He was tapping his foot in time with the music, clearly enjoying what was a good show.

"Alright, alright. It's on me. I don't think I'll drink tonight though." said Shrike.

He still had some money in his bank account, anyway. Enough to pay for this. Not like he had to pay for food or anything.

"You place the order, I'm going to go chat up the boss over there."

Shrike calmly walked over to the corner, where the Kingpin and his two bodyguards sat. ...He really hoped this was a good idea.

"Hey there. Loving the show tonight. One of the best ones I've heard in a while."

Interrogation Protocol Activated

Alright... got to make this look natural. You're here for a show. You just need to guide the conversation. Easy...

GM

The manager looked Shrike up and down, dabbing off some peppercorn sauce from the edge of his mouth as he chewed on his last mouthful of steak.

On closer inspection, he had that kind of brown complexion that spoke of a blending pot of ethnicities. His jowls wobbled slightly as he spoke, but like his body, they were juxtaposed by a firm square jaw. His dark eyes were a little close together, but full of steel and intellect - unlike the two bodyguards who stiffened as Shrike approached.

"Calm down guys, he is one of the good guys...if I'm not mistaken..." he said leaning back and taking a sip of a deep red wine.

"Well well well, you look like the Steel Shrike, if my eye's ain't mistaken. Been a while since you were out and about. What happened to you? I never took you as a Jazz-lover..."

"I've had to deal with some personal issues lately. Plus I figured a bit of jazz would cheer me up. This band is -hot-." Shrike snapped his fingers along to the music.

Man, this lying thing is easy when what you're saying is technically true.

"Though, I'm sorry if I startled your friends here. Is something wrong?"

Having personal security wasn't something particularly odd in a place like this, but their reactions were fairly suspicious. Fortunately, his Interrogation protocol was...

//Warning: LieDetectorPlus.EXE has experienced a critical error and needs to close.//

Totally not prepared for this situation.

Dang it, why did he have to let himself get kicked in the hard drive?

GM

Dr Robin Bronze sidled across the room to rescue Shrike, her drink in hand.

"I see you two are best friends" she said, sitting on Shrikes lap in what was, frankly, a seductive manner. She took a sip of her drink.

"Perhaps Mr. Brass here can help us?" she asked Shrike, giving him a wink. "What do you say, mister? just some little question about a Jazz player, went by the name of Bill Feathers. Played here a few nights ago..."

Mr. Brass (for that was the name of the owner) frowned deeply.

"Now now, detective..." he muttered "I don't want the club getting dragged into something, I don't want some two-bit police operation bumming out my staff and my profits. This is a nice friendly place here, we take care of our own troubles, you see. So, maybe Feathers did play here a few nights ago. So maybe he had problems. Doesn't mean the Top Brass has anything to do with it..."