Scrier's Masquerade (OOC)

Spring-boarding from this thread.

Gabriel, Arrowhawk, Ironclad, Jack of all Blades, and Jill O'Cure are dragged without warning to Mastermind's world.

Here's how we'll play this: Since the Resistance on that world would know the secret identities of our mirror!characters (as they have all been in the Resistance at some point, even if they're dead now), you character might be "tagged" in either civilian or hero "mode". I'll put up the first post with Gabriel, but everyone can make it play out as they wish. The idea is that, to our characters, it's random and unexpected.

EDIT: In-Character Thread

Ok, moving things forward a bit.

Sorry it took so long. Long week at work, compounded with feeling unwell the last couple of days.

Rooms are really basic. Cheap motel level furnishings, but very clean and well-lit. Concrete walls, metal or heavy plastic for a lot of stuff. No real wood or anything, maybe some fake wood though.

Doors will open to the halls, but you can only go through doors that are marked on your maps. You could hack doors if you have the skill, but the comment about being underwater seems borne out to some degree; the halls are the same stone-and-metal look as the rooms. Hard to say for sure, though.

No people encountered on the way to the conference room except for the other heroes.

Everyone's in the same hallway of rooms; so if you leave at the same time, you'll see each other easily and right away.

I'll put up my own IC for Gabriel later. :)

Any Player Character making a serious attempt to escape (either one large, major effort, or several smaller ones) will gain a Hero Point. Considering this a sort of conditional, preemptive GM Fiat.

So a few more shenanigans like what Jack and Jill pulled, and that'd be a Hero Point. Trying to blow through a door would probably be one right away.

But you'll only get 1 total. I'm not handing Hero Points out that quickly.

Feel free to remind me of any Complications that may end up taking effect.

If you have any questions about things, ask them here, or while I'm in Chat.

P.S.: Gizmo, there are no direct video cameras or sound feeds. Just FYI. ;)

I'm going to assume that any computer system Clad can sense is above her auto-25 hacking attempt?

There are 0 wireless signals that she can detect.

The pieces of technology present are the tablets (wireless is disabled at the hardware level, you'd need to take time to get it going, but it wouldn't net you anything substantial, beyond talking to the tablet) and the hard-wired basic lifesign sensors placed in the rooms. They don't have any actual wireless connection, and don't get live video or audio. I guess she could try splicing something in, but it'd go to an isolated, dedicated console for...monitoring lifesigns. Doing so would take several minutes at least, and you'd need to tell me where you're getting the tools to splice them, and what you're splicing in with.

Also, the sensors are behind small (like, 3-4 inch) circles of shaded shatterproof glass, embedded in reinforced concrete. ;)

Okay, technology she could potentially detect:

Tablets

Lifesign sensors, and their connected, closed system (thinking she can't hop system to system wirelessly?).

Temperature controls.

In addition, each room has an alcove where you could have a small computer desk, but there's no computer, and the power and network wires are dead (probably just switched off).

Datalink doesn't actually require the system to be wireless, just that the user be able to accurately perceive said system or be able to search for it. Ironclad's radio Super-Sense isn't Accurate, but if it's close enough that she can do a Search and find it, she's good to go. Her Mental Quickness would then let her go to town; Machine Control also means it wouldn't even need to be digital tech if there are buttons to press.

If the life support system is totally separate from anything else and there aren't any useful computers or other machines within a range she could reasonably Search in the time available, she's out of luck. Of course, there could be a radio Obscure or Concealment effect, or you could simply Fiat it!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, before I let myself get too frustrated, or feeling like I'm going in a circle, I'm going to ask the three of you some stuff.

1.)Are you at all pleased with where things stand at the moment?

2.)How do you want to proceed from here?

I'll expand on 2 a bit.

a.)Part of me envisioned them all having to move around in civilian identities (this is super-easy for Gabriel and Ironclad, somewhat easy for Jack and Jill, and I don't know how easy for Arrowhawk). Is this a no-sell for anyone?

b.)Right now, my general "timeline" is:

-Leave Resistance base

-Move through civilian area as civilians

-When close to government outpost, they then bust in. Perhaps Arrowhawk sneaks in? They can probably plan as they go.

-Inside, they discover there's a section with prisoners (Perhaps they were testing prototypes of the Quantum Supercomputer by having them predict how certain prisoners would try to escape for the next 7 attempts or some such). Including MM!Arrowhawk (who's all but entombed in concrete by this point). None of the prisoners can contribute to the on-screen fight, but they can help cause havoc, then escape back to the Resistance.

-Meanwhile, the heroes approach the QS, only to fight...well, you'll see. :twisted:

• 3 weeks later...

For my own benefit, here are Hero Point totals as of right now, with that extra that I promised added in:

Ironclad: 5 Hero Points (1 Starting + 3 Luck + 1 Granted)

Jack of all Blades: 6 Hero Points (1 Starting + 4 Luck + 1 Granted); Jill O'Cure: 0 Hero Points (Sidekick, shares with Jack I believe)

Arrowhawk: 4 Hero Points (1 Starting + 2 Luck + 1 Granted)

Gabriel: 6 Hero Points (1 Starting + 4 Luck + 1 Granted)

Also, if you guys want to retroactively roll one or two skill checks to cover things you might have done, or otherwise convey some sort of mechanical information about what occurred, feel free to do so.

On my part, Gabriel took 20 on Gather Information, goal being whatever he could find out about the Interceptors, the city, and their target building/area (don't worry, some stuff isn't known to the Resistance that's known to me, so surprises will still be in store).

With Take 10 (Skill Mastery), that's a 37 total. I'm going to say that lets him know a good outline of their enemies, be it powers, personality, or procedure (well, tactics, but I wanted 3 P's).

Also: Get ta postin'! :evil:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, everyone's on the sub by the end of their next post please. I would really really like to try and actually finish this thread before, perhaps, the end of my tenure at work (aka the end of June)?

If people are totally uninterested, tell me now and we'll figure something out. But languishing like we are just won't cut it.

• 1 month later...

Oofta, blast from the past here.

Okay, Ecal's still only sort of around. Nevertheless, if no one objects, I'm going to move us forward to being less than a day out from Freedom City. Then we can have a post or two about preparations, and then we fast-forward again to being on the streets moving toward the objective.

Any objections? Are people just wanting to ditch the thread?

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this thing's dead. It's partly my fault, but the lack of half the cast participating played into it.

At this point, we've all edited so many times it'd be a pain to try and remember our old sheets, but using the new sheets would be awkward for some. So...yeah.

Sorry this outing sucked so much, folks.

Summary: Everyone gets to the compound, and even to the part where the supercomputer is. They run into the Interceptors. There's a fight. Good guys win. Bad guys lose, are beaten near to death, whatever. Alt!Arrowhawk is rescued along with other prisoners. Everybody gets back to the boat, which soon leaves for Panama. Slightly stressful trip back to submarine (fear of discovery). Everyone gets on the sub, goes back to base. People are happy. Everyone goes home. Alt!Gabe isn't seen because he's in a coma due to the pain of his injuries and the long, slow healing process. So, hey, you don't have to deal with him, and he's in discomfort. Yay.

Any questions?