The Old Year Passes (IC)

“I...made breakfast,” said Murdock, looking stricken for a moment at the look on her face, even though he’d seen enough to know Gina’s demons were internal rather than because of him. . “I...I should go,” he offered, rising to his feet as he sussed out the situation. “I...I just wanted to make sure you were all right and that you would not...wake up alone...” he added. “Are you all right?” he added, “I brought this out for your head...” he added, offering her the glass of blue sports drink. This was not how it went on television, but on the other hand this sort of reaction to him and his deeds was something he knew how to deal with.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

“Thanks,†Gina made herself say, her voice raspy and faint. Her mouth felt and tasted like something fuzzy had died and rotted in there. Taking the glass, she swished a bit around in her mouth, but was afraid that drinking any would hasten the vomit that was probably on its way. “Monster hangover,†she told him. “Lucky you.†She couldn’t meet his eyes, but she was still in the room and had actually spoken coherently. Pretty damn good, under the circumstances. Thinking about the circumstances abruptly reminded her that she was still totally naked under the blanket. Hastily she pulled it closer around herself, till she was a shapeless chenille blob.

Seeing her awkwardness, and remembering his own earlier, cemented Murdock’s desire to leave. This was no longer his place, and the sooner he left, the easier it would be for Gina. He was in her space, something he was acutely aware of now more than ever, and what had happened the night before had been the dark and the drink, neither of which was true right now. Well, not all that, anyway. “Thank you for last night, Gina,” he told her seriously. “It was wonderful. And I will keep my promise.” With that said, he turned and headed for the door. “I will see you at our work!”

“No you won’t,†Gina murmured as he shut the door behind him. For a moment the house seemed echoingly empty, like an abandoned building forgotten for decades, uncared for and unloved. She shoved the fanciful notion aside, reminding herself that she’d paid plenty for her quiet solitude and the power to choose artificial light or darkness. She _liked_ being alone. She was so much better off alone. Summoning Emerson for an assist, she made her way to the bathroom. Looked like it would be a morning of regretting being sick, and an afternoon, evening and weekend of regretting being stupid. Sounded like a hell of a time.

The mechanics of leaving were harder than Murdock had thought at first, given that he genuinely did have no idea where he was. He tried his usual method of dealing with being lost in Freedom City, mulishly walking forward till he found a landmark, but it wasn't easy here in this semi-suburban area where most homes looked alike. He couldn't simply fly out, since he hadn't thought to bring his disguise unit out the night before. Finally, he found a quiet cul-de-sac where the homes were half-built and changed, transforming into his armored form before using the chameleon circuits in his pike to shift to invisibility. If anyone saw an Omegadrone on the streets of Hanover that morning, it was only for a few moments as he began rocketing back towards Lincoln. For a little while, at least, he could let himself think there was a man inside the armor. It was a good morning.