Semiotic Drift [OOC]

trollthumper

All right. Here's where things stand:

Monster: 20, Unharmed, 0 HP

Fleur de Joie: 19, Unharmed, 4 HP

Nick Cimitiere: 11, Unharmed, 3 HP

Supercape: 10, Unharmed, 2 HP

The Monster goes first, and unleashes a wave of fear in all directions. As it's Targeted Area, it needs to make an attack roll first. A 32 likely works. So, that's a DC24 Will save for everyone in the area. Nick gets Shaken.

Monster: 20, Unharmed, 0 HP

Nick Cimitiere: 11, Unharmed, Shaken, 3 HP

Fleur is up next.

All right, then. Nick will attempt to use Poltergeist's Rage on the monster. It's a DC17 Reflex to halve the effective TK rating, which it makes. That means Nick will effectively be applying a +17 Grapple instead of a +20 one. He rolls 27 - well, 25 when you apply the Shaken, like I forgot to do on the roll - and it rolls 15. The monster is now Bound.

Monster: 20, Unharmed, Bound, 0 HP

Supercape is up next, if Fleur continues to hold her action.

And it makes a 20, meaning -4 to Toughness.

Monster: 20, Unharmed, -4 Toughness, Bound, 0 HP

Supercape: 10, Unharmed, 1 HP

So we're on round two, and it's the monster's turn. It may be Bound, but that doesn't mean it can't use an attack that doesn't rely on moving a body part. So it unleashes a Targeted Area Damage, and misses damn near everyone.

Fleur is up next.

Fleur uses her Stun attack to try and subdue the bound monster. This is a full round action, but since I got skipped over last round, can I say that I spent that action finding convenient cover to shoot from behind?

1d20+7=26 With Improved Crit 2, that makes it a critical hit, so it's a DC 33 Fort Save, assuming it hits.

All right, here's what he gets:

Quentin doesn't recognize precisely what the symbol means, but he's seen similar versions throughout his time studying physics and dealing with radiation. They look like warning signs - though not in any language we'd recognize. If anything, they look a bit like the

nuclear semiotics scientists were trying to pioneer as a way to tell future generations 10,000 years down the line that Yucca Mountain was still dangerous - at least, until Yucca Mountain got shut down.

• 3 weeks later...

All right. As the powers and communication of the now-unconscious maintenance worker had a heavy EM-spectrum quality, it may be that the artifact at the center has some sort of subliminal effect that works over the same spectrum. It might be possible for Cape to use his powers to detect the frequency (without directly tuning to it) and tune out the qualities that would allow it to take over Nick, Fleur, and himself.