Rusty Shell (IC)

Gina rounded her shoulders like a turtle pulling into its shell, hunching over the leg she was working on. Her hands went still for a moment, poised over the mechanism she'd been working on. At the same moment, Miss Americana turned her head to look at Harrier, an understandably distracted air about her. "No," she told him, "those armor plates need attention. I need a half hour to get these servos in order, then I can have a look at you. Why don't you go out to the front room and have a seat till then?"

Murdock knew something about pity, too. "As you prefer, Miss Americana," he said with a little nod, speaking to the robot since that seemed to be what she preferred. He turned and walked out to the front room, taking a seat that groaned slightly under his heavy weight and thinking back to the dark days of his childhood. He'd seen people broken psychologically a thousand different ways, some of them so badly they simply hid in corners and died alone. Things were different here, though, different enough that someone like Gina seemed to be could be more than she'd been, could be more than a fearful woman in a corner. Like so many things about Earth-Prime, it was glorious. There was no part of him that wanted to dismiss her pain, for all the physical pain he'd seen: he knew better than anyone what inner turmoil truly was.

The front waiting room was an empty and dusty place, obviously not used on a regular basis by Miss Americana or her guests. There wasn't even a magazine or pamphlet to read. Luckily, Harrier was accustomed to quiet waiting. Almost exactly half an hour later, his patience was rewarded when Miss Americana walked into the room. Her gait and movement were once again smooth, and the hospital gown had been replaced by her usual red, white and blue designer uniform. "Thank you for waiting," she told him with a smile that was as easy as though nothing had happened. "I'm sorry I wasn't ready for you. Come on back and tell me exactly what happened." She led him back down the hallway, which bore no trace of the strange woman.

Harrier respected Gina's evident wishes and spoke nothing of what he'd seen, instead stripping down and armoring so she could look over his outer shell with a professional eye. She was experienced in dealing with his body, and even rattled was easily able to move him from exam table to scanner and back again. Miss Americana found that his worries about his shell were largely misplaced: though there had been significant corrosion to his outer shell, making him look rather like an Omegadrone who had been left out in a field for a few decades, the metal itself was still sound and its internal repairitive processes were ongoing. He'd be fine in a few hours.

Just to be on the safe side, Miss A put temporary fiberglass patches on the worst of the corroded places, simply to keep the areas clean and open while the repairs took place. "Leave your armor deployed for the rest of the day," she instructed him as she finished the patching. "It'll speed the repairs along and keep the patches clean. They should fall off by themselves when the armor is whole again. I can give you something for the pain if you need it."

Harrier shook his head at that, as he always had when Miss Americana offered him something against the pain. "I will be fine. I have experienced discomfort like this before." He studied himself in the mirror. "I shall certainly use my holoprojector for the return trip home. Looking like a different Omegadrone would not serve me even among friends, much less the city at large." He looked to Miss Americana. "I will leave you to your interrupted sleep. Thank you again for all your help."

"My pleasure," she assured him. "The holoprojector wasn't damaged, so you'll be fine there. If you have any more trouble with it, call my private line." She paused for a moment, studying his face with the sort of frank look she'd never have mustered without her mechanical aid. "I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't mention anything about what you've seen here to anyone else. My... my effectiveness as a hero rests in large part, as yours does, upon the ability to project a believable illusion. I obviously have some work to do on my time management skills."

He'd already promised not to reveal her secret, but this was the sort of secret that required double reassurances. He knew that, as well as how fatal it would be to pity her, better than most people could have. "I will not reveal anything that I have seen here tonight. You are healer, ally, and friend. I will never betray your confidences, to the very best of my ability." He activated his holographic projector and offered her a shining hand to shake. It was kinder than showing her what lay beneath, even if she already knew.

She took his hand and clasped it, beautiful porcelain-skinned hand meeting shining glove. Each one as artificial as the other, each concealing the damage beneath. "Thank you, Steve," she told him. "Take care of yourself, all right? You should be dodging the stuff those jobbers throw at you these days. At the very least, Dragonfly should be giving you a raise if you're getting soaked in acid while you're on the clock. Tell her I said so." She winked at him, sure that he could understand the humor these days.

"I will," promised 'Caradoc', humor in his voice too at the obvious joke. "Working for HAX has opened me to many new opportunities, even in just the short time I have been there. I was content with my life, but the change has been very...pleasant. If you come around, I will make sure to be part of the tour. Good day, Miss Americana." He flew out from the back alley as was his wont, the many buildings around the Lab concealing his travel. It had been a day for revelations and repair, one he wouldn't soon forget. Indeed, he was already thinking ahead to the future...