Begin Again (IC)

Sandman XI

In a spark, Wesley was back in the world he left almost ten months ago. There was so much he had done while gone. He wouldn't say he didn't care about the other world. There were some nice and brave people there. But he was home. Surely there was things to take care of. The first thing on his mind was to find out where he was. Growing a pair of wings he shot up into the sky. He was in The Fens. He remembered his time with Caroline. Sh was the first person on his agenda. After going to her apartment, he found that she didn't live there anymore. He apologized to the current owners and left to hit up a phone book. Luckily she was listed, no address though. No phone service in this dimension. Set in his one minded goal, he found the nearest shop and asked them to borrow their phone. And the phone rang.

It was a damn comfy couch. The three parter that her parents had recently replaced with a newer one that hadn't been chewed halfway to bits by the dogs and it fit in the family room of her current residence just fine. The pillows were all sewn up and restuffed, and there was a nice layer of uber soft nonmatching saws fabric and she snoozed quietly with a book on her stomach in the warm warm family room that she had collapsed into after a long day walking on the cold autumn streets.

The ground however was hard tile, and when she fell down because of the sudden phone ringing she was less then happy. Once, it rang, twice, three times she finally got up and picked up the phone by the fifth ring, she yawned and said half heartedly,

"Hello?"

When Caroline answered, Wesley smiled. He knew she couldn't see him, but it was such a relief. Seeing as the shop owner only gave him a minute, he had to start speaking. Though it was hard, getting slightly choked up. He cleared his throat and began to speak, "Caroline, it's Wesley. It's good to hear you again." He paused for a second to sink in his own happiness. "I need to talk to you in person." He looked to the guy behind the counter and whispered, "What's this place's name?" "Bob's Coffee and Doughnuts," he replied loud enough for Caroline to hear. Not that Wesley was aiming for that, Bob was just loud. "Can you meet me at Bob's Coffee and Doughnuts? It's on Kane Road," Wesley said talking to the phone again.

Carrie blinked, and blinked. The phone was silent, she nearly looked at it. Taking the phone she took it and hit it on the back of her hand and winced a little,

Okay, not dreaming.

Putting the phone back to her ear she wanted to say something, anything but her mouth was dry. She pinched the bridge of her nose, but couldn't think of anything to say. Somehow after another ten seconds of silence she managed an,

"kay..."

Though it was, rather quiet. Still she hung up the phone and leaned against the counter for a second. The second became a minute, then five, she was sort of just, she didn't know what. But she managed to pull herself up and get some shoes on.

When she arrived at the cafe, she didn't look her best. She hadn't combed her hair, so it was still messy like she'd just waken. She was wearing a tie dye shirt, with a kechup stain on the side and grey work out pants as well as a pair of bright red flip flops. It wasn't the warmest thing, she was very cold in fact and thankful for the warm coffee shop as she glanced around.

Wesley was glad he had a couple bucks left. The doughnut was greasy as all get out and the coffee was almost sludge, but it was either that or standing outside. He hoped Caroline wouldn't be too angry. He had a long story to tell if she would listen to it. He wondered what happened in her life. What happened to the world? There was a bit of city rubble, more than usual, that he wanted to ask about. It took a while for Caroline to get there. Luckily he could adjust his metabolism to make that coffee and doughnut last forever. Though he didn't have to wait forever. When Caroline walked in the doorhe wiped his mouth and stood up. She looked a little mussed, but he didn't care. Walking over to her, he smiled, "It, it's good to see you again." Not knowing her mood, he silently offered to take her hand.

Carrie's mouth stayed dry and she stayed quiet. She looked at his hand for a second and grabbed it, pulling him down to the sit down. She put an elbow on the table and balanced herself as she looked at Wesley. She was almost certain this was in fact Wesley, he was here now. It was strange, but she didn't let herself linger, she didn't let herself do anything, say anything, except. She just sat for a few moment and took in a breath and said,

"Explain, please explain."

Her voice was, it nearly cracked. She needed something, an answer, a real answer to what the hell had happened.

Wesley was expecting the question of where in the world he had been. He was just not sure how to start! He took a deep breath and looked in to Caroline's eyes, "Before I start, I want to remind you, weirder things have happened." After a short pause to see if her reaction, he continued, "Here's the short version: After I left your place, I was unwillingly transported to another world. This world was much like our own, except is was ravaged by a plague. That and everyone spoke Latin. Well, except for the person who transported me there. She informed me that this planet was diseased by a mad man. over the next few months we visited hotspots of diseased places and with my powers cleaned them up. Somewhere along the line I was captured by the mad man. It was me. Well, a much more powerful me. He called himself the Knight of Death. I had heard the name mentioned before by the people, but never put two and two together. He offered me a place within his rulership and if I didn't, there would be consequences. I wasn't about to do that. So he too a part of my brain out. Not the most pleasant feeling in the world. I... I lost my sight and 'sight' with that little trick. I could grow it back, but i couldn't see the life force anymore. I tried to escape but he kept outsmarting me. Finally, about a month ago, he let me free. Well, not totally free. He wished for me to 'witness his glorious ascension into godhood'. Yeah, evil me was not really sane. So my final attempt to escape was not the easiest in the world, but I had divine help. They imbued me with their powers and I fought the Knight of Death to a standstill. It looked hopeless until he offered me a chance to rule with him again. And then I saw it, he was only powerful when he had the upper hand. I could have left anytime if I hadn't doubted I could. And then he exploded. Over the next month I cleaned up what the evil me had done. They eventually dubbed me the Knight of Life. When all was said and done, the gods took back their power and sent me home." He finally breathed out and smiled, "I could tell you the long version?"

Carrie listened to the story. She was quiet, she wanted to ask questions but didn't. Though really there seemed no break for it, he sort of just said the whole thing in one breath (which probably wouldn't be possible for many else). The story seemed, okay he was right stranger things had happened. The Latin part was strange, did he speak Latin now, also a part of his brain was removed that was strange. Then there was the alternate him, okay that wasn't that surprising, incredibly scary in it's premise but not that surprising, she had a very clear question in mind, a very curious question that she wanted to inquire about that trumped every other question in her mind,

"Was I there?"

Wesley shook his head no. "While the world was pretty much like ours, there were a lot of changes. When we were searching for spots to cure, Freedom City was the first place I suggested. My guide had informed me that Freedom City did not exist in this reality. Not like I remembered it. The 'hub of activity' on this world was Rome. Before the depopulation plague started, the world was ruled by the Roman Empire. Remember when I said everyone spoke Latin?" He shook his head again, "she spoke of it very well. I would have liked to seen it before evil me got a hold of it."

Okay, so it was like Earth Victoriana, just replace British Empire with Roman one. That probably meant a lot of things for the rest of the world. Though Wesley still existed there, so she might of herself existed somewhere at some time. Not that it mattered, her role in that world was apparently not one defined enough to be terribly important. It was strangely comforting really, but it brought about another question,

"Who is she? I mean the women who helped you, how did she know to help you, or even how did she know English at all? Seems strange that they would even develop the language if Latin itself never died out, English is a bit of a mixed language developed through several generations of slang and rule borrowing."

"Her name was Drusilla," Wesley gazed off in remembrance, "She was part divine. Until I was captured, she helped me around the world explaining things. Even taught me the language." He blinked his glassy stare away and looked at Caroline with a smile. "While the gods refused to interfere with the plight of mortals, she wanted to see the world live. Seeing as there was no god lockout in this world they could have helped, but they didn't. Choosing to wait out and begin anew. The whole ascension thing finally got them off their high horse. During the last month I was there we were together again." He paused, "We were just friends. I really wish you could have met her. She was a very nice person."

"You're speaking in a past tense, did, did she die?"

Carrie thought about this, the whole thing, okay it wasn't unbelievable, not by a long shot. She'd been to enough dimensions to know what he was talking about was entirely plausable. Also, Wesley sucked at lying, that was a simple fact, she doubted he'd even think to try.

"This realm, did you report it to the Freedom League?"

"She didn't die," Wesley assured, "being part divine is what saved her from the plague." He hung his head, "The supers of that world didn't have much in the ways of immunities like we do around here." He looked up again, "The 'Freedom League' of that world, Militia Romana, were the first hit. Even the ones that could resist it found that the plague was too strong for them. They were superhuman, but human nonetheless." He smiled a small smile, "there were superhumans that got under the radar though."

She ran a hand through her hair, that made sense she guessed, they weren't always so together they couldn't prepare for everything.

"Yes, I thought so, but have you told anybody else, like the Freedom League? Why aren't you..."

She sucked in a breath again,

"It's, it's important, parallel universe stuff like that, it draws parellels here, effects us even if it usually goes unnoticed sometimes that sort of information is important so why aren't you..."

Grabbing her nose and pinching she ended that thought,

"A lot has happened. We've been, there's been a lot of bad things happening lately, something drove Vik... Doktor Archeville insane, then this giant space monster tried to turn the earth into a lifeless silver shell, and then, Wesley,"

She looked up at him,

"Why are you here, I mean, talking to me?"

"Oh," Wesley said with surprised recognition, "You meant why didn't I tell this Freedom League yet!" He chuckled, "The thought had not crossed my mind until now. To tell you the truth, the first thing I did when I got back was call you. I needed to know if I was home for real." He smiled at Caroline, "You were the first person I thought of." He stopped to think for a moment and scratched his head, "Is there a procedure for this? I just can't go to Freedom Hall and say 'I was zapped to another world for ten months', can I? Then again, I'm sure they have technology for that, right?" He smiled again and reached for Caroline's hand, "I'm guessing there's only one way to find out."

She didn't let him grab it,

"I can't, what?"

She looked at him,

"Wesley, I'm a nobody remember. By that I mean, really nobody else knows I'm a nobody. The Freedom League most certianly doesn't, if they're gonna verify you're story they're gonna bring in a mind reader or something. I don't want to go there, not to risk something like that."

She let out a sigh,

"You really should go, go tell them what happened, they need to know that this place exists so they can check to make sure someone didn't jump ship when you jumped the border. And then later."

She tapped her fingers,

"You've missed a lot, I mean A LOT, and I wasn't really actually there for most of it, that parts complicated but you need to straighten things out. Then, we should talk."