Meet the Press [IC]

October 1st, 2011

"...Excuse me, Mr. al-Misri, but were you intending on saying something at this press conference?" Woman's voice cut through his moment of his mind wandering. There was snickering from the tabloid side of the room.

Amir al-Misri relaxed the grip on the podium before him, letting one hand fall and the other rising to his mouth to cover a small cough. He looked at the questioner, a bored looking Julie Streeter, who was likely not at all impressed with having to cover the announcement from some rich playboy. He nodded slowly, and composed himself, flashing his smile and setting it to 'warm and engaging.' Amir scanned the room briefly, and then brought up both hands to adjust his tie, taking in the assembled members of the press, equal parts legitimate and tabloid. He wasn't surprised, his reputation made the make up all but a certainty. "Yes I did have something to say, Ms. Streeter, sorry... my mind is a little occupied."

He drew in a deep breath, before he began. "In light of recent events, I have decided that I must take certain measures. While my charities are doing well, I feel they are not doing enough. I feel that I can do more. Point of fact, I know I can. Given the unique circumstance I find myself in, I feel it is wiser for me to be out in the open about it. I am a superhero." There was not a stunned silence he had hoped for, rather there was an awkward, skeptical silence, and he frowned a little. "I should be more accurate... I have powers, and am becoming a superhero. Given the recent events I cannot in good conscience simply use these powers to benefit my immediate means. I understand the humor in this, I do..." Amir chuckled, and closed his eyes. It looked silly, it sounded silly. He was famous for pulling silly stunts, spending money, being a socialite, and having a parade of women run through his bedroom. This was a tall drink.

He held up a remote, he had taken from the podium, and pressed the button to open the window behind him. They were thirty stories up. Enough to make an impressive splat. Saluting the press members, he tossed the remote to his stricken looking assistant, before he turned and dove out the window. He released some of the energy he had taken before the press conference had started, burning away his clothes, leaving him in the bodysuit he had as a costume. Turning about in mid-air, he soared back up to float before the window at them. "That's all for this conference! Sorry, I don't feel like taking questions!" Yelling to the press, who had crowded to the windows to take pictures of him. Then he rose higher into the air, and out of their view.

• 1 month later...

October 20th, 2011, 4:32 PM

They were listening now. His show in the park the day of his announcement and the fight he had later that night meant he had a busy debut. Today it was different, there was a bit more buzz as it wasn't just expected to be financial news. That was confirmed when walked into the room wearing his costume. He added jacket and the glasses today, but that had become standard for his costume almost immediately, it got cold flying, and having extra pockets was useful. Asad smiled at the reporters politely as he stood behind the podium, lifting a hand to coverh is mouth for a moment, and coughing to clear his throat. The dropcloth behind him hid something from the reporters. Showtime.

"Hm, well, unlike some have predicted, my efforts at being a hero have not been an unmitigated disaster. I know that would have been a better news for all of you." He laughed and looked down at he floor, collecting his words, before speaking again, and looking at them. "I have no illusions over the image that I have in the media, and with the general populace. And as I have said I have the means to do good. I have strived to make my company, Summit Transnational, a leader in philathropic endeavors since I rebranded it. That is not enough, hence why I have personal invested in both this city, and even more charitable causes." Asad paused again, this time it was purposeful, measured. It was for effect.

"Blessed with these abilities I have turned them towards helping others. That is still not enough. As such, I have been taking measures to form a new group of heroes. Using my resources, my ability to network, I am building an affiliation of heroes united towards the cause of justice. They will have the benefit of my full backing. I call on those who wish to join me in this, who want ready allies, who could utilize what I can provide to help them do even greater good. Ladies and gentlemen of the press, I announce the formation of the Summit." With a showman's flair, he grasped at the drop cloth and pulled it from what was behind it, revealing to everyone before him the white and gold stylized mountainous pinnacle emblem of Asad's group.

"It is my fervent hope that others will join under this banner, united, to undertake it's simple, clear goal. Together we will stand stronger than we ever could as individuals!" Asad's cadence was sharp, his voice rising as the press surged and lept forward at the news, crying out and clamoring at a revelation counter his anticipated retirement from 'playing superhero'. He gave them his most photogenic smile.

3 Hours Later...

His phone rang, and he pulled it out of his pocket, looking at who was calling. Seeing his father's number, he pressed his thumb against the dismiss button. A short snort of laughter as he lifted his gaze to look over the city. Asad put the earbuds in, and tapped at the MP3 player strapped to his arm before the swan dive from the building, and he was flying, singing along "Birds flying high, you know how I feel..."