Vigilance (PL 10 NPC, Tier 2)

Player Name: Lone Star

Character Name: Vigilance

Power Level: 10 (227PP)

Trade-Offs: -4 Attack / +4 Damage (Unarmed), +2 Attack / -2 Damage (Ranged) -0 Defense / -0 Toughness (or "None")

In Brief: An impatient and cowardly fool who desperately wants to have superpowers.

Alternate Identity: Michael Vaughn

Identity: Secret

Birthplace: West End, Freedom City

Affiliations: None

Family:

Description:

Apparent Age: mid-forties

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Height: 5’ 11â€

Weight: 240 lbs.

Eyes: Dull blue

Hair: Black

Outside of his costume, Michael is a rather thin man. He has aged prematurely with the amount of drugs he’s consumed, and it is immediately evident. Even though he’s in his early thirties, his hair has started to thin, and his face is slightly wrinkles. However, his body maintains a significant amount of muscle from the Max steroid.

His battlesuit, a former AEGIS suit he modified with heavy-caliber machine guns and rockets, is a tarnished silver. The armor has gaps in it where his muscles stick out.

Power Descriptions:

Michael can use the abilities he’s gained from the amount of Zoom and Max he’s taken to gain massive amounts of strength and high speed. His battlesuit’s weapons are military-grade armaments, and are capable of great destruction.

History:

From a very young age, Michael knew what he wanted to be when he grew up. He wanted to fly alongside Freedom City’s superheroes, and fight crime. As a young child, he collected autographs, and was always delighted when he saw his favorite superheroes on television or in magazines. He grew up a fairly well-adjusted young man, and went through his formative years with few problems. However, bad grades and heavy drinking led to him dropping out of Freedom City University. Michael simply shrugged his shoulders and thought back to his childhood dream of getting superpowers. Having no mutation-based abilities of his own, he recklessly threw himself into dangerous situations, hoping the fear of getting injured would spark his abilities that he knew for so long he possessed.

He quickly tired of this and started looking for other ways of gaining superpowers. About this time, the street drugs “Max†and “Zoom†appeared on the underground market, and Michael sought every opportunity to get these. The first hit of Zoom he took was incredible. He felt as light as a feather as his feet took him across the city. Cars and buildings rushed by, and he finally felt he had gained what he had been looking for his whole life. Max gave him incredible strength, and he felt on top of the world taking both of them at once. He finally got what he felt he had deserved for so long: superpowers of his very own!

Every action has a consequence, and soon Michael felt the effects of the drugs take their toll on his body. He gained a powerful addiction to the two, and started to act out among his friends. Soon, no one wanted to see the manic Michael, as the combination of the two drugs melted what was left of his rational mind. His funds were running out quickly, and he needed a quick way to make cash. Michael’s dealer gave him a way to do so: steal a decommissioned AEGIS battlesuit from its storage facility. Michael agreed, and after shooting up with Max and Zoom, he arrived. He shrugged off the bullets, and clobbered the guards, and made his escape with the case of the battlesuit in his muscular hands. He had a little surprise for his dealers. As the dealer opened the door to his apartment, Michael opened fire, killing the dealers in a wave of machine gun fire.

Personality & Motivation:

Michael is a man consumed by rage and addiction. His only motivation is to get more of the drugs that sustain his powers. It has become the only beacon of hope in his otherwise miserable life.

Powers & Tactics:

Michael will take any cheap shot he can. Catching his opponents off guard, then ripping out his machine guns usually does the trick, although he’s certainly not beyond using his muscles to wear his opponents down. The combination of his battlesuit and powers from Max and Zoom make him a formidable opponent. If available, he will take hostages and tends to run when the odds are against him.

Abilities: 0 + 0 + 0 + 4 + 0 + 0 = 4PP

Strength: 10/38 (+0/+14)

Dexterity: 10/30 (+10)

Constitution: 10/30 (+10)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Wisdom: 10 (+0)

Charisma: 10 (+0)

Combat: 12 + 16 = 18PP

Initiative: +30

Attack: +6 Base Attack, +6 Melee, +12 Ranged

Grapple: +20

Defense: +10 (+8 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +0 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -10

Saving Throws: 2 + 2 + 4 = 8PP

Toughness: +10 (+10 Con, +0 [Other])

Fortitude: +12 (+10 Con, +2)

Reflex: +12 (+10 Dex, +2)

Will: +4 (+0 Wis, +4)

Skills: 36R = 9PP

Craft (Mechanical) 6 (+8)

Knowledge (Current Events)8 (+10)

Knowledge (Streetwise) 8 (+10)

Notice 8 (+8)

Feats: 6PP

Attack Focus (Melee)

All-Out Attack

Dodge Focus 2

Move-By Action

Power Attack

Uncanny Dodge (visual)

Powers: 29 + 28 + 20 + 20 + 19 + 27 + 29 = 172PP

Hard-To-Lose Device 7 (Modified AEGIS Battlesuit, 35PP, Feats: Indestructible) [29PP]

Impervious Toughness 10 {10}

Weapons Array 12 (24 points; PF: Alternate Power) {25}

Base Power: Blast 8 (machine guns; Extras: Autofire) {24/24}

Alternate Power: Blast 8 (rockets; Extras: Area [40-ft. Burst, General]) {24/24}

Enhanced Strength 28 (Max Strength; to 38/+14) [28PP]

Enhanced Constitution 20 (Max Toughness; to 30/+10) [20PP]

Enhanced Dexterity 20 (Zoom Quick Perception; to 30/+10) [20PP]

Super-Strength 8 (Max Super-Strength; Power Feats: Bearhug, Breaking, Stratospheric Punch) (effective Strength 68 with Enhanced Strength; heavy load, 1600 tons) [19 PP]

Super-Speed 5 (Zoom Speed; Speed 5 (250 MPH / 2,500 feet per Move action), Quickness 5 (x50), Improved Init +20; Power Feats: Wall Run, Water Run) [27PP]

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

DC Block

ATTACK      RANGE     SAVE                           EFFECT

Unarmed     Touch     DC 29 Toughness (Staged)       Damage (Physical)

Mach. Gun   80 ft.    DC 23 Toughness (Staged)       Damage (Ballistic)

Rockets     80 ft.    DC 18 Reflex                   Area

DC 23/19 Toughness (Staged)    Damage (Explosive)

Totals: Abilities (4) + Combat (28) + Saving Throws (8) + Skills (9) + Feats (6) + Powers (172) - Drawbacks (0) = 227/227 Power Points

:oops: Alright, I've fixed everything. I realized I had in fact only noted 20 points for his Enhanced Strength, and I fixed the math on that...added two more points of Impervious Toughness, and (for some reason) his Device had Hard-To-Lose written as a Flaw...so I've fixed that.

We've been noting the Easy to Lose or Hard to Lose aspects of Devices as a Flaw, so that should have been there!

His Attack is way off -- you've got him with +6 Base, +12 Ranged, but I don't see any Attack Focus (Ranged) or Accurate on his ranged attacks. He does have Attack focus (Melee), which'd put him at +7 melee, which would put him over.

It also looks like you did not add his Super-Str to his Grapple, which you should do.

His Super-Speed is off, in that you did not give him something for the Array that's included in Super-Speed. (Super-Speed is 5pp/rank, which gives you Speed, Quickness, Enhanced Feat/Improved Initiative, and a 2pp/rank Array, which you could use for things like Air Control or making Selective Area Unarmed Attacks; Wall Run and Water Run are just Super-Movement effects Flawed to only work while running at super-speeds.)

The biggest thing I see, though, is a question you should ask yourself: should a junkie with a stolen AEGIS suit be PL 10, or built on over 225 points? (One point-shaving suggestion: put some of his Enhanced Str/Super-Str and Enhanced Dex/Quickness/Speed into an Array, so that at any given time he's super-tough or super-fast.)

The biggest thing I see, though, is a question you should ask yourself: should a junkie with a stolen AEGIS suit be PL 10, or built on over 225 points? (One point-shaving suggestion: put some of his Enhanced Str/Super-Str and Enhanced Dex/Quickness/Speed into an Array, so that at any given time he's super-tough or super-fast.)

You do have a point. I have been going about the idea all wrong. You guys can go ahead and delete this thread- I'll use an Oddball for the villain. I'll return to this idea and make another character sheet at a later time.