Playing to a Packed House (IC)

Arcturus let a feral growl slip as the necromancer was pulled away from him. With Starlight interposed between the two, Arc glared at her, his right hand bursting into flame as the Beast Rune's outrage ignited behind his eyes. It only lasted for a few seconds before Arc managed to wrest control of the beast within, letting the rune blazing across the back of his hand fade. He gave the slightest of nods to Starlight, a tired expression on his face.

"You're gonna repeat that to the police. Because if you don't..." He let the threat trail off, letting the necromancer fill in the blanks himself.

Starlight stepped away from Arcturus, moving the necromancer out over the seats and high enough into the air to make the thought of a jump less than appealing. "This man will be delivered into the hands of the authorities," she promised the hero. "He will be judged and punished, according the laws of this land. Now." She turned to face the pile of dismembered corpses clogging the aisles. "If you wish to do honor to your friend, I suggest we start by disentangling his parts. And all of the other victims of this death mage."

Arcturus shot the necromancer a withering glare with bared teeth, suggesting that he might not be entirely above disentangling his parts either. Still, cooler heads prevailed and he visibly relaxed, nodding at Starlight as he leaped off stage and onto the floor below. He couldn't adequately describe just how creepy it was to virtually wade through the dead--but it was still better than undead, he supposed. It was still a welcome distraction, though. Moving forward and focusing on the task at hand made it easier to forget how badly he felt.

In a short time the dead and pieces of the dead were laid out in the back of the theater, and not long after that the police arrived and began sorting everything out. The threadbare necromancer was handed over to the police, but at the last moment Starlight noticed a slim book in an inner pocket. She took it out and opened it up; it seemed to be the mage's journal, and was mostly full of mopey poetry and scattered notes of his own meagre, necromantic ability. Towards the middle, though, she started noticing symbols that, frankly, originated from the stars. It stopped her cold for a moment, then she turned and addressed Arcturus. "Have you ever run into something called 'Zombie Powder'?"

Arcturus remained in his bear form as the police arrived. His identity, he felt, was better protected that way, even though he did have a mask. He had calmed down considerably in the time between Starlight's intervention and the arrival of the authorities, and he watched in relative silence as they did their usual investigatory thing. He never was quite sure what to do with himself once the police showed up, and to avoid thinking more about his fallen friend, he headed over in Starlight's direction.

He tilted his head at the book as she spoke, scratching his head. "Zombie Powder? ...huh. That sounds familiar, but... nah. I've never seen it before."

Arcturus knew exactly one necromancer--Nick Cimitere. He was actually a nice guy considering his particular magical discipline, and Arc could swear he'd heard Nick mention it before. The context of why and what it was used for, however, escaped him. "Mind if I look at that book?" All the studying and practicing he'd done in the last year and a half had to be good for something, after all.

Starlight handed it over and crossed her hands over her chest. "It seems the musician wasn't much of a death mage at all -- until a few months back when he was contacted by a certain instructor. This man knew much more of magic -- all kinds of magic -- than him, and offered to teach the budding necromancer. In exchange, he wanted something called Zombie Powder." She frowned, brow furrowing. "I think I've heard of it mentioned as a street drug, but I can't fathom why any mage would want to look at it."

• 3 weeks later...

"I think I know why."

Arcturus frowned as he explained; he wasn't exactly thrilled about what he was reading. "I don't get what language this is... but it's necromancy, mixed in with music. It's pretty typical for someone to learn magic through something they're already good at. Makes things a lot easier. He could've done a lot of damage with this..."

He thought about burning it. His second thought, though, was a lot more productive. "...he didn't write this. He's just a student; whoever wanted the zombie powder put him up to this... I wanna know who this joker is."

Leroy had to die for this little scheme... Somebody's gonna hurt for it. A LOT.

Arcturus kept his thoughts to himself, but the glow in his eyes betrayed his intentions.

Starlight took the journal back and held it closed, staring at the cover. "I may know who is responsible for this," she admitted, "but if I am right then to confront him will take... preparations." She looked up at Arcturus. "When it comes time to storm his citadel, I shall keep you mind for it, warrior. It will not be easy to break through his defenses, if it is who I think it is." She walked towards the building's exit, pausing at the door. "I shall keep in touch with you, Arcturus." And with that she was gone, disapperating and vanishing.