Highway Robbery (IC)

GranspearZX

"That would..ah...seem Jolly prudent, sir!" replied Supercape. Suddenly he felt rather self - conscious about riding in the back of an ambulance in his full costume. Damn, he had never quite got used to the realities of this superhero lark.

"For some reason, somebody wants this man - and wants him very badly indeed. And a little extra security around him would be no bad thing. Both on the way, and in the hospital. "

Saying that, he jumped into the ambulance making sure to contract his rather impractically large cape to a more managable size as he did so.

GM

The second paramedic didn't say much, but she gave Supercape an incredulous eyebrow raise before she jumped into the driver's seat; the other paramedic was in the back with the victim and Supercape. As the ambulance drove off, they didn't turn on their sirens--the man had been pretty roughly handled, but other than being drugged, he was unharmed. The paramedic seemed especially good at what he did, making absolutely sure that the man was alright. He'd taken the man's jacket off, along with his watch and ring, taking a brief glance into his wallet at his driver's license.

"Alexander Umbridge. Hm." He put the wallet back into the man's jacket, continuing to monitor the man's vitals while occasionally looking at Supercape. "...you don't know him, do you?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Alexander Umbridge" replied Supercape, tapping his chin with his finger in a thoughtful manner.

He tried to remember what he could of the man. His mind was normally tied up with rather esoteric matters of quantum physics, but a man of his intellect had a knack for soaking up all sorts of stuff. An accountant, hit the news a few times, in connection to the mob and various scandals and corruption charges. He was damned if he could remember the details, or even if anything had actually been proved.

Still, the man would have a list of enemies as long as your arm. The question is who, why, and why now?

"Is it possible to speak to him?" he asked.

GM

"When he wakes up," the paramedic nodded. "I don't see why not. I suppose the police will want to talk to him too..."

It didn't take long for the ambulance to reach the hospital's emergency room. After determining that Mr. Umbridge's life wasn't in immediate danger, the doctors and nurses admitted him to a room, two uniformed officers posted just outside. Aside from a few curious looks, Supercape didn't get too much attention, and the police were giving the hero a wide berth--after all, he'd quite possibly saved Umbridge from a significantly worse fate. By the time Umbridge started to come around, it was just past noon.

"...ugh. Where am I..."

"Mr. Umbridge, you are in hospital...don't worry, the doctor's assure you me you will be fine"

Supercape stood up and walked too Umbridge's side.

"You were abducted, and I rather suspect your life was in mortal peril. I had to intervene, or your captors would have made off with you to...well, I was rather hoping you would fill in the blanks there. I can assure you that whatever mess you are in, I am here to help. Because it seems to me that without it, you are going to end up in a bit of a mess, old bean!"

GM

Umbridge tensed up visibly at the sight of Supercape. He relaxed--only slightly--as he realized he was safe, for the most part. Still, his expression was a dour one, and he merely shook his head. "I thought I had more time," he muttered, shaking his head. "I have to get out of here." He grimaced as he tried to sit up, looking at Supercape intently for a few moments. "I'm already in a mess. I never... ..."

He paused for several moments. "You don't know who you're dealing with. These... these people... if they want something, they get it. There's no compromise, no nothing. And all I did was find them out by accident. One of my employers wanted to look into the finances of a competitor, and it turned into some freak trying to blow up my car."

"Are you sure that's all there is to it?" answered Supercape somewhat sceptically. After all, this man was unlikely to be whistle clean.

Whatever the case, there was probably something dirtier going on that this man. Never mind his grubby fingers, there was real danger afoot.

"Look, you need to bring these people to justice, its the only way you will ever be safe. I can help. I can protect you, together, we can bring them down. So tell me, what did you find, and what proof have you got?"

• 2 weeks later...

GM

Alex paused again, regarding Supercape carefully before speaking. "You'll forgive me if I'm a little bit... skeptical." He looked around the room and his frown deepened. "My briefcase isn't here, but..."

"About six months ago, my... employer was looking to buy an apartment building in Hanover. He wanted me to check out some of the other bids on it, so I used some of my legal connections to do a little research. Totally legal, by the way. THEY want the building for something else... but I don't know what. I should've known better than to try and find out. Everything about the building was in that briefcase, but most of it is public record."

"Well then, well then. An appartment building in Hanover?" said Supercape, pacing up and down. He felt like a proper TV detective for a moment, before realising he had never done any "detectiving" in his life.

It was rather invigorating for his astute mind, he conceded.

"So, where is your briefcase? or, failing that, would you mind telling me what apartment building you were..." he coughed slightly, also skeptical himself "...looking into, as you say...?"

What was going on? there were endless possibilities. The fact it was Hanover was interesting, especially if one considered the apparent cutting edge technology the kidnappers had used. Theft? Terrorism?

GM

"Probably still in my car... unless that freak stole it. I've got the address though. Not sure what good it'll do you."

Alex rubbed at his head with his free hand, staring at the clip measuring his pulse on his right middle finger. His heart rate was, in fact, slightly elevated--nothing life-threatening, but with a masked superhero in the room, it was understandable.

"I'll write it down for you. Just make sure you keep my name out of it."

"Thanks. Your honesty in this matter is much appreciated" replied Supercape, noting the address and folding the paper with the address neatly, twice, and tucking it away into his costume.

"I shall investigate this immediately. The sooner the case is resolved, the sooner your safety can be assured!" he added, with a waggle of his finger.

Damn, I really am starting to sound like a detective...

With a slightly too theatrical thrust of his cape, he concentrated his mind and bent time and space once more. A bridge between his current location and the hijack site formed, and he popped through it.

He slightly stumbled back to the highway, where this had all started. No matter how many times he did this, he always found it a little disorientating. Hardly surprising, really. He didn't have much hope that the briefcase was still there, but it was worth a look on the off chance. If not, it was off to the address he had been given.