Roses Are Red, Gadgets Are Blue (IC)

Fortunately for Blueshift, Push didn't pull away. Admittedly, he froze for a few seconds, but then he shook his head with a self-deprecating smile, and placed his hand on hers. His voice was a mix of gratefulness and bitterness when he replied, but the tone remained warm.

"...Thanks. I appreciate the sentiment. Maybe if I keep telling myself that, I'll start believing it again."

The kineticist noted with some amusement that she had already mowed through her muffin and coffee, while he was still sipping from his own mug, and his cinnamon bun remained untouched. The two sat there for a few seconds, both unmoving, Push himself trying to read the girl sitting across from him with a distinct lack of success while simultaneously delivering several inward kicks to his imagination. Finally, he coughed, racking his brains for a question that would break the semi-awkward silence.

"So...uh...you do your own auto work?"

Inwardly, he facepalmed. Way to go, dude. She's got an IQ that could probably match the minds up in ArcheTech, and you're asking her about grease monkey stuff. Absolutely brilliant, you frakking idiot.

Fortunately for Blueshift, Push didn't pull away. Admittedly, he froze for a few seconds, but then he shook his head with a self-deprecating smile, and placed his hand on hers. His voice was a mix of gratefulness and bitterness when he replied, but the tone remained warm.

"...Thanks. I appreciate the sentiment. Maybe if I keep telling myself that, I'll start believing it again."

Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god. He's touching me. Oh my god. Calm down. Oh my god. Calm down. Oh my god... Blueshift smiled, unsure of what else to do.

For Blueshift, the silence wasn't semi-awkward. It was terrifying. When he finally almost asked a question again, she nearly flinched. Managing to hold it together, she stammered, "N-no. No car. Though. I could. If I had one." She smiled slightly, feeding off the distraction for a tiny ounce of courage. "Internal Combustion Engines. That's like Physics Two stuff. Besides, Four-Stroke isn't as complicated as Hydro-electric. And not to mention the..." She blushed slightly realizing she'd answered the question ages ago, "Short answer, no. I mostly just tinker with small electronics and computers and networks and things."

Suddenly, she wisked her hand away from his. Excitedly, she said, "Check this out!" She pulled a device with a small screen from her belt of seemingly endless compartments. She hopped up from the bench, and moved around the cat to sit next to and behind him. She held the screen out for him with her left hand and looked over his left shoulder at it. "See that ATM across the street?" The device flared to life, the screen went bright blue. Quickly enough, colors began forming. An image of a street took shape. In the distance, there was a small store with a sign that said, "Cat's" above it. Two figures sat in the window, little more than silhouettes. Blueshift waved at the window, and the tiny representation of her on the screen mirrored her motions. "Neat, huh?" She smiled at him, before suddenly realizing she was sitting quite a bit closer to him than she had been a few moments ago.

Push's eyebrows shot up, and he tentatively waved an arm. A half-smile lifted one side of his face as he saw the copy of himself in the viewscreen. She'd actually turned an ATM into a camera? Damn, if she could do that, she could probably keep an eye on the entire city like that. He murmured the word "Ingenious..." as he looked at the screen, then back up to her.

"That right there? Absolutely brilliant. Guessing you have a network of those across the city? Can you get audio through similar machines, radios, nearby speakers? Recordings, perhaps? How much of Freedom can you view at once?"

The questions came fast and hard, his eyes shining as ideas flew through his head. He honestly didn't even seem to notice the fact that her face was a few inches away, other than the fact that he kept his voice down.

"That right there? Absolutely brilliant."

Blueshift experienced a warm bubbly feeling as he praised her work. She'd always enjoyed a good pat on the back. Briefly, she hoped she hadn't misinterpreted the feelings and was actually about to throw up. A few seconds later, she realized her first instincts were probably correct, Yay, happy!

"Guessing you have a network of those across the city? Can you get audio through similar machines, radios, nearby speakers? Recordings, perhaps? How much of Freedom can you view at once?"

"Network? No. Well, yes. But no. Why build what's already there?" She gave him a sideways look. Reaching over his shoulder with her other arm, she tapped the screen of the device. Another image displayed. She tapped again, and there was another. Push saw a few landmarks he recognized. Bridges, Skyscrapers, the insides of subway stations, the list went on. "Just tap into existing surveillance devices. Work's been done. I'm just piggybacking."

Blueshift realized, suddenly, that she was practically hanging on his left shoulder. Her upper body was practically pressed up against his. She'd been so intent on showing off her toy that she didn't notice how close she'd gotten. She pulled her arm back, and straightened up, standing behind him. She didn't dare go back to her seat yet, not until her face stopped being bright red at least. When did it get so warm in here?

Luckily, her brain had no trouble remembering the other things he'd asked. She used the questions as a way to distract herself. As always, her mind had time to wander, and she realized how good she was getting at ignoring and stifling her feelings. She reflected briefly on whether or not that was a good thing.

"Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. And not much." She counted on her fingers to keep track of the questions he'd asked. More for his benefit than her own. "This? Portable version." She waved the device in the air. "Low power. Low range. Only one type of signal at a time. Back home? Already started working on the big one." She had a grin on her face like a nine year old girl that had just sold her first glass of lemonade at her very own stand. She was obviously very proud of her work. Self help books? Eat your heart out.

"Before you ask: Not selling this one." The smile faded slightly. "God. Like. Doctor Otaku's wet dream. Eugh." She stuck out her toungue and made a face.

Push winced, and nodded, finishing off his cocoa, and looked at the cinnamon bun somewhat askance. He'd seemed to have missed that she'd pressed up against him when showing him the nice piece of tech; either that, or he was lost in thought.

"Yeah, that'd be...creepy. Distinctly. Only network I've got are my earbud and a radio back at my HQ jury-rigged to pick up the police bands. It's a kludge, but I'm working off a budget."

He shrugged in a whaddyagonnado-type manner, idly picking up the bun and taking a bite from it. The kineticist chewed thoughtfully before swallowing and speaking again.

"Have you considered using any kind of independent UAVs? Camera drones or the like?"

"I have. Actually." She sat down next to him, as he ate, "In fact. Special project back at my apartment. Nearly finished now. Hoping to get him online soon. Maybe I'll show you. I call him MAC. Machinated Autonomous Computer."

As he was chewing a bite, she quickly snatched the radio receiver out of his ear. As to be expected of someone who often works with fine electronics, he barely felt her fingers, they were so precise. "Hmmm. You right. It's a kludge." She turned the tiny object over in her hand, "Here try this. Should give you better reception." A small electrical wand extended from the gauntlet on her right hand and it buzzed as it touched the radio receiver. Some sparks flew, and Push would have sworn he'd even saw some flames erupt. Though, when she returned it, it had minimal charring. As she dropped it into his hand, she said, "You should stick to engines. Lazarus is a beauty." She smiled. Her conversation skills were blunt and awkward, but it was clear she meant well, "Why don't you leave the electrical stuff to me?"

He blinked, looking at the slight charring on the commlink, then placed it back into his ear. Admittedly, there was a hell of a lot less static after she waved that wand over it, but more importantly...Push tapped the side of it, as if speaking to the ether.

"Oi, Black, your suit sucks and that pipe smells like week-old socks."

No response. Not even a rumble on the network. A wide, wide grin spread over his features. Whatever she'd used to clear the reception...it had also gotten the bug AEGIS had shoved into the 'link. Push could've kissed her. He nearly did, although he reined it in as he realized that'd send her out the door and several blocks away within a few seconds. As it is, he just gave her a very happy look.

"Blue, remind me when the patrol's over that I owe you dinner. At a very fine restaraunt. Hee."

She smiled, happy that he liked her work

"Blue, remind me when the patrol's over that I owe you dinner. At a very fine restaraunt. Hee."

"I... But... I didn't..." She stammered, and blushed, "It's no big deal, really. Just...No seafood, kay?" She looked away, quickly, then back down at him.

Did he just...

"Are you asking me on another date?" If her face had been red before, it must have had tomatoes all over it now.

Push's expression was somewhat comical as well, realizing what he'd just asked, taking in her reaction, and the train wreck that were his mental processes being shown quite clearly on his face. When he managed to eke some words out, it was as if a dam had burst, and even Blueshift's incredibly fast brain could barely keep up.

"I...uh...wellifthispatrolgoeswellIdontseewhynotImeanitsbeengoingwellsofaruhhmaybeweshouldgetmovingsoonfinishthepatrolwhatdoyouthink?"

The kineticist tossed the last little bit of cinnamon bun in his mouth to shut himself up, giving a somewhat weak smile as he munched.

"Hee hee." Blueshift laughed at the jumbled string of words coming out of Push's mouth. It was difficult to follow, even for her. Difficult, but not impossible. "You sound like me."

"Sure," she answered his question, "You driving?" She extended a hand, to help him up from the seat by the window. Before they left, she reached down to pet the store's cat.

As they left the store, she wrapped her hands around his upper arms, and put her head on his shoulder. I can touch him! This is awesome!

"I think I might be able to take the flying this time."