Zap (PL8) - Lone Star (Silver)

Player Name: Lone Star

Character Name: Zap

Power Level: 8 (130/131PP)

Trade-Offs: -2 Attack / +2 Damage, -2 Defense / +2 Toughness

Unspent PP: 1

Progress To Gold Status: 11/90 (Silver status earned with Kid Cthulhu)

In Brief: Headstrong Lightning Controller

Alternate Identities: Janis Jacobson

Identity: Secret

Birthplace:

Affiliations: None

Family: Frank Jacobson (father), Susan Jacobson (mother, deceased)

Apparent Age: 18

Ethnicity: White

Height: 5’ 8â€

Weight: 145 lbs.

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Blonde/ Bleach Blonde

Description:

Janis is not a typical girl. She dresses very much like a tomboy, preferring jeans and heavy metal T-shirts to dresses and blouses. Her hair is bright blonde, but she keeps on hand gel and hair dye for when she changes into her costume. As Zap, her hair is bleached blonde and spiked up. She wears a white spandex outfit with yellow lining the inner arms and the inside of the leggings. She also paints a yellow lightning bolt on her face a la Ziggy Stardust.

Power Descriptions:

Her powers are far from subtle. All of them involve lightning, and it is produced in mass quantities. It crackles with blinding white-hot intensity and is extremely noticeable, to say the least. She wields the lightning with a heavy hand, going for maximum damage rather than subtlety. However, since she has been to Claremont, she has gained a new hold on her abilities, and is learning how to do more complicated things with her powers than simply wield electrical blasts.

History:

Janis was born into a upper middle class family in Hanover, her father being a CPA and her mother a professor at Freedom University. She was always the outgoing one of her family, much to the chagrin of her relatively quiet parents. She was always fascinated with cars and machines, and it was no surprise that she went into metal shop and took basic car mechanics at her high school. Her parents were proud of her, and although she wouldn't nearly earn the amount her father did, they were glad she was doing what she loved.

A year before her visit with Duncan Summers, Janis was in the backseat of her mother's minivan, driving home from a movie. It was raining heavily, and the visibility was severely limited. A bolt of lightning struck a tree down in front of them, and her mother swerved out of the way, but it was already too late. The car flipped over, trapping them inside. Janis managed to wiggle out of the car and ran for a roadside telephone. She quickly picked up the phone and dialed 911, when a bolt of lightning struck the metallic phone booth. She passed out instantly, and awoke in the hospital.

The doctor said her mother had died in the hospital, but her father was expected to make a full recovery. Janis spent the next few months in a daze, rarely talking or going outside. She started failing her classes, and she didn't care. She had become a shadow of her former self. When she was walking back from school, she found herself accosted by two gang members with knives, who tried to mug her. Her heart raced, and she felt power flowing through her veins. Her fists glowed with electrical energy, and the thugs ran off. She realized that her body had absorbed the lightning energy. It wasn't long before Duncan Summer came to her door and asked her to join the Claremont Academy, where she now stays. Janis has since cheered up significantly, but she still misses her mother.

Personality & Motivation:

She is very much an outgoing person and a free spirit. Although she listens to authority figures, she tends to solve problems her own way. Janis can be hard to get along, much less understand at times, but she is extremely affable and tries to see the good in everyone. Her free spirit may clash with those who prefer tradition and rules, but Janis makes it a point to try to get along with everyone. Her smile is always present, even when situations are tough. Her positive attitude and indomitable spirit make her a good morale booster for any group she's in.

Janis is still haunted by her mother's death, and sometimes "fades away" as she calls it, sitting on her bed and avoiding social contact. She is still very much in mourning, but her chipper attitude does a good job of hiding it. She cares very much for her father, and visits him as much as she can. The two of them are very close, and her father tries to protect her, despite his awareness of her superpowers. Janis knows she will have to get past her mother's death eventually, but she was very attached to her mother prior to her death.

Powers & Tactics:

Janis has the ability to control lightning, and she uses it to barge in and take the villains out as quickly as possible. She tends not to think of consequences, just immediate action. Her powers haven't developed enough for a full-blown force field, but her electrical powers grant her a good degree of protection from harm. It manifests itself visually as a yellow aura with spikes of lightning.

Complications:

Hurry Up!: Janis is extremely impatient, to say the least.

Mover, Not A Thinker: She tends to rush into combat situations instead of considering strategies.

Responsibility: Her father is important to her, and she visits him often.

Abilities: 2 + 2 + 4 + 2 + 0 + 6 = 16PP

Strength: 12 (+1)

Dexterity: 12 (+1)

Constitution: 14 (+2)

Intelligence: 12 (+1)

Wisdom: 10 (+0)

Charisma: 16 (+3)

Combat: 8 + 12 = 20PP

Initiative: +1

Attack: +4, +6 Electrical Control

Grapple: +5

Defense: +6, +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -5/-2, -4/-1 Flat-Footed

Saving Throws: 4 + 7 + 5 = 16PP

Toughness: +10/+4 (+2 Con, +2 Defensive Roll, +6/+0 Force Field), +8/+2 Flat-Footed

Fortitude: +6 (+2 Con, +4)

Reflex: +8 (+1 Dex, +7)

Will: +5 (+0 Wis, +5)

Skills: 40R = 10PP

Bluff 12 (+15)

Craft (Mechanical) 9 (+10)

Diplomacy 5 (+8)

Knowledge (Current Events) 3 (+4)

Notice 11 (+11)

Feats: 8PP

Attack Specialization (Electrical Control)

Attractive

Defensive Roll

Distract (Bluff)

Luck

Taunt

Uncanny Dodge 2 (Visual, Auditory)

Powers: 35 + 12 + 10 + 7 = 64PP

Electrical Control 15 (30PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 4, Improved Critical 2, Drawbacks: Power Loss [submerged Underwater]) [35PP]

Base Power: Strike 10 (Extras: Area [Targeted, Cone, 100ft], Selective) (Lightning Burst) [30PP]

Alternate Power: Blast 10 (Extras: Autofire) (Lightning Barrage) [30PP]

Alternate Power: Corrosion 10 (Extras: Penetrating) (Lightning Blade) [30PP]

Alternate Power: Dazzle Visual 10 (Extras: Area [100-ft. Cone, General], Range [Perception]; Flaw: Sense-Dependent [Visual]) (Electrical Arc) [30PP]

Alternate Power: Stun 10 + Strike 10 (Extras: Linked) (Taser Fist) [30PP]

Force Field 6 (Extras: Duration [Continuous]) [12PP]

Immunity 10 (All Electrical Effects) [10PP]

Teleport 6 (Flaws: Limited [short-Range], Feats: Change Velocity) [7PP]

Drawbacks: -4PP

Vulnerability (Water, Frequency: Common, Intensity: Major [x2 Damage]) [-4PP]

DC Block:

ATTACK               RANGE         SAVE                        EFFECT

Unarmed              Touch         DC16 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Lightning Barrage    Ranged        DC25* Toughness (Staged)    Damage (Energy)

Lightning Burst      Touch/Area    DC25 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Energy)

Taser Fist           Touch         DC25 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Energy)

DC 20 Fortitude (Staged)    Dazed/Stunned/Unconscious

Lightning Blade      Touch         DC20 Fortitude              Drain Toughness

DC25 Toughness              Damage (Energy)

Dazzle Visual        Perception    DC 20 Reflex                Blinded 

*Autofire

Abilities (16) + Combat (20) + Saving Throws (16) + Skills (10) + Feats (8) + Powers (64) - Drawbacks (4) = 130/131 Power Points

Backstory looks good.

Knockback is -1, -5 with powers.

The Toughness line forgot to account for her Protection power.

You've got 5 points in Feats, not 6.

Your array should be listed as:

[b]Electrical Control Array 15[/b] (30pp pool; [i]Power Feats:[/i] Alternate Power 2) [32PP]

[list][u]Base Power[/u]: [b]Strike 10 ([/b][i]Extras:[/i]Area: Cone, Selective [20] (lightning burst, electricity) [30PP]

[u]Alternate Power[/u]: [b] Stun 10 + Strike 10[/b] (taser fist, electricity) [30PP]

[u]Alternate Power[/u]: [b]Blast 10 ([/b][i]Extras:[/i] Autofire [10] (lightning barrage, electricity) [30PP][/list]

You've spent 57 points in powers, not 56.

Noticeable is not an elligable Drawback for your Array, as powers that require activation are Noticeable by default.

You do realize that if her protection is noticeable then everyone that meets her will know she has super powers just by looking at her right? Noticeable Protection is something like "has metal skin" or "has a turtle like shell". That kind of throws having a secret ID right out the window.

Your Knockback is -3, -1 without powers. (it's 1/2 your Toughness save rounded down)

Your toughness save is +7 with your powers active, and you are therefore undercapped defensively.

You've spent 6 points in Feats, and 58 points in Powers.

A further note, with the 10pp version of Immunity to electrical effects, you are immune to any effect with the electrical descriptor ie: Dazzle, Paralyze, Stun, etc. If you get the 5pp version, you are only immune to Damage of the electrical descriptor. Not sure which one suits your concept more.

Okay! I've made a few edits.

Abilities: Got rid of two ranks of Constitution and added them to Charisma.

Saving Throws: 2 points of her Toughness now come from her Constitution, and 2 from Defensive roll, and 6 from her Force Field.

Skills: Bluff increased by 1 due to Charisma increase.

Feats: Got rid of Equipment, and got Defensive Roll.

Powers: Added Improved Crit 2 to her Array, increased Force Field ranks to 6, and changed her Immunity to electrical damage only.

Drawbacks: Fixed the -6 to a -5, since her Toughness is indeed not Noticeable. Hope s'all good.

Refs: I have a challenge for myself. After Zap has gotten her two approvals, I would ask the Refs to force me to wait one week before granting my approvals. I really want to know I like this character, because I have archived over seven characters in my incredibly manic indecision, and I want to be sure that this one's a keeper. :argh: So on April 6th, I'll know for sure.

A lot of the arithmetic on the sheet was wrong, but it all evened out in the end. You're 1PP underbudget, because a Short-Range only Teleport power doesn't need the +Easy power feat. But I'm not going to let that hold up this audit, since you've been made to wait for far too long already.

:approved:

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...