Three of a Kind (IC)

Lynn chuckled at Mona's humorous take on Victorian mores.

"Well, the best part of the whole trip, for me at least, was a chance to face down my old foe Rasputin; it had been far too long since me and the Mad Monk crossed paths, and the battle proved to be epic indeed!"

She did her best to hide her smile behind her drink.

"Oh, and having my portrait done by Willaim Blake was also pretty frickin' cool; that part I didn't just make up."

"That part threw me for a loop too, the whole timeline of the thing seems a bit wobbly. I mean, we have Rasputin the villian, and than we also have that realms equivilent of the Beatles along for the ride because they happened to be the band Edge hired. Than we throw William Blake into the mix, egh, can't even really process how that could of really factor into this strange alternate universe equation."

She took a sip of her drink,

"Though we should really put this in context, so Edge teleports us to the garden party except the whole place has been frozen over. Me and Grim notice, cold's coming from a bunch of Russians, it's a few guards this young man and this dude in a wheel chair. So Grim, Edge and Cannonade confront them, with background music I might add because the Victorian Beatles are facing off against the band hired to play the party. Cannonade and Grim pretty much take the guards out, while Edge tries to talk them down. He tries to talk them down, while quoting the song All You Need Is Love, which appropriately is the song the Beatles are playing at the time."

She stopped her story as she saw the waitor come around with the basket of bread as well as a pad,

"To start, could I get some minestrone soup, also, I'd like to order some veil marsala as my main dish."

Composing herself, Mona continued listening, and at the moment, may have even taken Lynn's archnemesis as authentic. Thankfully, she let on pretty quickly and Mona chuckled. The bit about William Blake did throw her for a loop.

"William Blake. The William Blake? As in 19th century painter and poet? Sweet!" She nearly jumped! "What was he like? I know he must have been considerably different from his Prime counterpart, but still."

"This Edge sounds like some sort of chaos magician to me," replied Mona to Carrie's continuation of the story. "Again, nothing against him, but I'm waiting for him to break out some Schrodinger Fu. Did you end up in battle?" The question was mostly rhetorical. After all, the Russians pretty much screamed villains.

"Actually, that sounds really good. I'll have the same," requested Mona, as she snagged a piece of bread.

"William Blake. The William Blake? As in 19th century painter and poet? Sweet!" She nearly jumped! "What was he like? I know he must have been considerably different from his Prime counterpart, but still."

The dimuntive Interceptor rocked back on her hands. "F###ing insane and f###ing awesome! He was locked up in the Tower of London when I found him, which was kinda sad, and we exchanged gifts of art; I made him a chair. I'll have to show you the painting he did for me. I was kind of hiding it, not sure what to do with it, to be honest; I think it's down in the Underground with all the other priceless treasures I seem to keep accumulating."

"Actually, that sounds really good. I'll have the same," requested Mona, as she snagged a piece of bread.

Lynn made a face at the mention of the veal, but offered no further comment. "Uh, I'll have the mushroom soup and the cheese ravioli, please. Thanks." Once the waiter left, she nodded for Carrie to continue.

Carrie mostly waited until the waiter was out of earshot,

"I not sure about a painting, but when winter comes around again I'm totally breaking out those gloves and the cardigan I got over at Camden. Not sure where I'll say I got it, but might spring for a full outfit if I ever make a return trip."

She thought of the odds of that, it seemed unlikely, but than again it wasn't as unlikely as going the first time so who knew.

"Anyway, the guards are down, the younger man is trying to fight, and cyborg Rasputin is making things even more frigid. Well I'm not exactly sure what I can do, but since it was mostly dead anyway, ohh we're in a greenhouse by the way, I pulled out some matches lit up one of the nearby planters to get some warmth and smoke cover. Meanwhile, the guys are resisting edge and apparently, he snaps making the jump from chaos wizard to reality warper, he turns the cyborg dude human, I'll rephrase this, turned metal and cogs into working living organs. Now, normally, it might of been a good thing, however, the artifact of doom that is the ice from our realm is still stuck inside this guy, so it's pushing out and freezing this guy on the way out. Young guy's freaking out because that's his father in the chair, Edge is sort of losing it a little more, and the excyborg is trying to push the freezium back in. It's about that time I walked over and snatched that thing up and took it over to Miss Wells, not that it helps him anymore because by this point there was probably no saving him and Rasputin dies right there. Now the son's grieving, so Cannonade comes over, and gives the young man a proper speech about why he was wrong to try and turn London into a Britcicle and how he should try and make things better in his own country. Edge is sort of out of it, like for the rest of the trip he is disturbingly quiet, even during the little awards ceremony. We're there for maybe a few more hours while Ms. Wells reverses the effects of the freezium, and than we hop a ride on the newly repaired Brit Machine and get back home not maybe two or three hours after our departure."

"Awesome. Absolutely awesome. Not that he was locked up. I would love to see that painting," Mona replied excitedly before turning to Carrie, "and that lovely set. I imagine their classic in a more literal sense."

She fell silent then and listened to the end of the story. Some aspects still proved difficult to follow, but the basic flow and conclusion matched well enough. The demise of the icy Rasputin elicited a frown, but otherwise her attention was riveted to the story. One question lingered though. A particularly simple yet perplexing question that so very rarely received adequate or reasonable answers.

"Plus an awards ceremony to boot. Very classy," said after a sip of water. "I gotta ask though. Why did they freeze London? Either I missed something or that hasn't come up yet."

Carrie thought about it for a second,

"I think there was a rebellion or something in Russia, and they lost, and blamed the British Empire for not helping or something like that. I'm not exactly sure how freezing it really changed anything, the whole thing seems pretty shaky honestly, but it was pretty clear the party wasn't in much of a reasonable mindset to do something like that in the first place. Though arguably, the whole situation was only possible because we Ms. Wells brought the freezium to the realm in the first place. She had no way of knowing that of course because of the unstable time set up for dimensional travel, the freezium was in realm and causing trouble before she actually came to our world to get it. Bit confusing all and all, but everything seemed fine before we left as Ms. Wells was getting the temp back to bearable and has probably got it down to normal by now."

• 3 weeks later...

Lynn said nothing for a while, pushing her glass back and forth between her hands as she looked off into space; the memory of Rasputin's death, his son's reaction and Edge's near catatonia had risen to the surface of her mind, and that sense of hopelessness was hard to shake. At length she managed it, and visibly brightened as she sought to change the subject.

"So, how do you guys know each other? I always find these weird random meet-ups interesting."

"Odd all around it seems," she mumbled.

As Mona listened to Carrie, her gaze slowly drifted over to Lynn. Seemed like the pixie slid off into a funk. Fulcrum was about to interrupt and say something when she snapped out of it. Fulcrum smiled at her question.

"The meet up was a bit random and, yes, a bit weird too. We met in Sentry Park actually. I had this undeniable craving for ice cream, and Carrie happened to be babysitting her niece that afternoon. As you can imagine, kids love their ice cream! Strange how life can throw you curve balls like that. Five minutes one way or another, and we would have never met."

Well maybe not outside of costume.

"Yeah, little things like that happen all the time, minor choices that never turn you towards places or people you wouldn't usually meet. Given, I can say that with most the people I know. Though even though I'm gainfully unemployed I always have a full schedule, given that's probably because I don't get out of bed for less than my appartment being on fire. I need my eight hours."

Which before her late night job was usually just one to nine am making her ready to work by ten, but that was bumped back by a few hours with her some nights getting back to her place just before sunrise.

"By the way Mona, I called up your place a few weeks ago and it said the phone was disconnected, you move?"

• 2 weeks later...

"By the way Mona, I called up your place a few weeks ago and it said the phone was disconnected, you move?"

This last little tidbit intrigued Lynn greatly. "Why yes, Mona, do tell." She leaned forward, chin in her hand and all attention. "Please tell us more about your current living arrangements!" She had a pretty idea what the answer was, but wanted to hear her say it.

Mona smiled slyly and pulled out her iPhone, "I'm sorry, Carrie, I must have given you my land line. I only kept that around for my internet connection. Here is my cell number," she said, pointedly but humorously silent to the ever curious pixie.

She casually pocketed the phone and adjusted her posture. Finally she replied nonchalantly, "I moved in with Viktor a while back. He has a nice house up in Hanover and has been asking me for months now. So far everything is wonderful. Better than I ever expected."

Oh, yeah, be all cool about the situation was one thing, but she couldn't really contain that satisfied cat expression on her face.

Carrie smiled as she pulled out a notebook and scribbled the number down,

"I bet,"

She had to stiffle a chuckle at the expression on Mona's face. Flipping through the book,

"How'd Archimedes take the move?"

She thought back to the scruffy cat she couldn't keep away from the rolls of fabrics she'd brought over for Mona to look through. She might of felt sorry if the cat might of had to deal with a sudden change in territory, but given that it was cat, she was more curious if any of Viktor's furniture survived the new arrival unscaved.