Ballistics Is A Science, Right? [IC]

Dr Archeville

Date: February 6th, 2011 (Sunday)

"So, what are you doing for her, Billy?"

KPOW!

"And do not tell me she said not to get her anything, or do anything special, because when a woman says that, it always means 'you should know what it is I would like!'."

KPOW!

"So, what? A night out? Romantic get-away? Jewelry?"

KPOW!

Doktor Viktor Archeville had simply appeared in the Brownstone's training room a few minutes ago, as Colt had entered to begin his morning target practice drills. The Dok had asked if he could join in -- he had even brought an assortment of weapons in a gun bag with him -- and who was Billy to say no to the man who cut his monthly stipend cheque? Currently he was shooting off a Mauser C96.

Far from my preferred choice of weapon, but it is best to be familiar with them all.

Oddly, the first real topic of conversation to come up, after the perfunctory small talk, was on the subject of Lynn, and his Valentine's Day plans for her.

Colt was currently laying on his stomach on the floor a few feet away. He held a rifle with a wooden stock in his hands. It was an SKS the Dr. Archeville had brought with him. It was such a beautiful gun, Colt had to try it.

He was silent for a long moment. Dr. Archeville's question hung in the air. Then, there was a sudden, series of pops and clicks. Eight sequences of "Pop click-click click-click" in rapid succession.

"Well," Colt said, pushing himself to his knees, "I ain't even asked'er what sh wants yet. But if'n I did, I reckon she'd say somethin'ta that'fect."

He got to his feet, shouldered the rifle. He took a deep breath. Pop click-click click-click. Pop click-click click-click. "Ain't it'a pain how women're so hard't read?" He asked as he picked up another strip clip from a nearby table. He ran the clip through the riffle so that the bullets were loaded. Ten more shots it gave him.

He knelt down, and shouldered the rifle again. Going through the motions of aiming and breathing, he fired the rifle five more times, producing five more pops and ten twenty more clicks. "Ya think ya know'a gal," He remarked, standing, "Then ya go'n ask'er what she wants fer Christmas." He stood, aimed and fired the last five bullets in the rifle. He pressed a button on the wall, to bring the target back, and began examining and cleaning the rifle while he waited.

"Ya know me, Doc." He remarked as he began stripping some of the components of the rifle, placing them gingerly around the table, "Good 'ol reliable Colt'll think'a somethin'. Though'a cain't say'll be turnin' down suggestions." He gave Archeville a pointed look. "Ring's're out. She's got one'a them. 'N th'weddin' ain't fer'a while now. Well's damn near run dry, Doc."

"What'a bout you? How long we been livin' here'n y'ain't come't shoot'a gun once?" Colt slipped another piece of the rifle back into place as he looked up at Dr. Archville with a quizzical expression.

"Right to it, then, eh?," he chuckled. He'd disassembled the Mauser and put it back into the bag, and was looking over it for what to use next. The bag, like Archeville's home, was bigger on the inside than the outer dimensions would suggest, which threw Colt a bit when he first looked into it. "I suppose you could say... a mix of hubris, neglect and fear." He shrugged, "when I chose you all for this team, over a year ago, it was also around the time I was finally getting ArcheTech off the ground. Running that took more of my time than I had predicted, and then three months later two very big changes occurred in my life: being appointed to the Freedom League Auxiliary... and the beginning of my relationship with Mona," he said with a smile he could not help but make.

My life is awesome!

He picked up a .44 Smith & Wesson Model 29 revolver and loaded it. "Then there was the Grue Invasion, and the... incident with Avenger," he said with some regret in his voice, "which lead me to re-examine how the team was working, and to VINCE being put in charge. I had neglected you all for so long, I was not sure how to integrate, or, rather, re-integrate, myself back into the team, or how well I would be received." He looked up to Colt, "But, over the past few months, I have re-re-examined aspects of my life, and have found a renewed desire to... reconnect with you all. Or at least make a more concerted effort to do so."

There is no reason why we cannot all be friends!

He approached the firing station, put on the protective goggles and earmuffs, took aim, and fired.

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

Ha-HA! This gun is huuuge!

The first shot pulled to the left, but the other five hit the centers of the targets at which he'd aimed.

He chuckled again, "besides, I need some new places to train my own combat skills. I can only do so much with my own simulators! Now," he continued as he cleared and disassembled the gun, "as for Lynn, I can get you in touch with some rather good travel agents, and they could arrange a very nice package for you two. And as I said when Jill first got here, I even know of some castles in Europe that can be rented out for a week's stay. That would be costlier, even with my good word giving you a discount... but I know that you live a moderate, even modest, lifestyle, and tuck away most of the stipend I give you each month."

"Yer right 'bout that," Colt responded. He couldn't remember the last time he'd made a big purchase. Some gun oil here and there was about all he spent his money on. He tore the man sized target down from the zipline and admired his handiwork.

He held the target up to the light between himself and Dr. Archeville. As the light shone through it, Dr. Archeville could see that the bullets colt had fired had created a design of a heart with an arrow being shot through it dead center in the target's chest. "Perfect," Colt smiled as he folded the target and laid it on the table.

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

"I reckon Jack'd have'a conniption if'n'e saw us down'ere.Colt smiled at the way Dr. Archeville held the revolver. Those were, after all, his specialty. And while Dr. Archeville may have been his intellectual superior, a marksman he was not. "Try speed firin't, Doc. After ya gon'n fired yer first shot, just hold that there trigger'n pull th'hammer back wit' yer left."

Wonder what that there Hippocratic oath has ta say 'bout this.

"Say Doc, is Paris nice this time'a year?"

Archeville shook his head ever so slightly; despite whatever change his personality had undergone over the past few months, he was still German at heart, and put his country just a hair ahead of all others.

It is nice, certainly... but there are better spots!

"Depends on what you are looking for," he said tactfully, "as well as how much attitude towards non-natives you are willing to endure."

"Oh, and thanks for the advice," he added, holding up the last pieces of the .44 before stowing them. Colt was by far the superior marksman, but Archeville's skills were higher than Billy had expected from the egghead. "Not often that I uses these -- if I am to use a ranged weapon, I prefer recoilless energy blasters -- but, as I said, always good to keep in practice with all types. Never know what we may find ourselves using in our line of work, yes?" He pulled out two light pistols, a Walther PPK and a Walther P99.

"My name ish Archeville. Viktor Archeville."

A grin flashed across his face, but quickly faded. "Paris is good, though perhaps a bit cliched. You two may like Italy. Rome, Milan, Venice, Sicily, Florence... and I am sure you would have a fine time in the Land of the Spaghetti Western!"

PPK in his left hand, P99 in his right, he went up to the range again, now training on taking multiple targets.

"Them're all good suggestions, Doc." Colt hesitated for a moment, "Though I ain't sure 'bout th' whole western theme. An' it ain't cuz'a Grim." Colt was facing a gun rack at the side of the room. He selected one of the most iconic weapons in existence in present day: The AK-47.

"Be better if'n I put't this way. I been here pert near two years now. I still ain't been out west. Why d'ya think that is?" Plk-ka-ka. Plk-ka-ka. Colt fired a few three round bursts down range with the rifle, "Hits to close'ta home if'n ya'sk me."

"All the rest're places I never been. I don't know if she's been either. Cain't ask - t'd be like ruinin' th'surprise." He fired a few more bursts. "There's other thing's t'consider. Outsider status fer one like y'said. Diet's 'nother. I know Grim c'n conjure food, but I wanna take'er out. Call me old fashioned, but I ain't gon' resort'ta magic fer that typa thing."

"Italy does have fine food -- and wine!," he said as he cleared and stored the Walthers, "so on that front you two would be more than well-cared for."

Now, let me see, what next? I do not want to break out the energy weapons just yet... ah!

"Outsider status would not be as big a problem in Italy as it would be in France." He selected a shotgun from the bag, and picked through a selection of shell and slugs for it, "the cowboy thing would definitely work to your advantage there. and I would be happy to ask for you, I can say I need to know where she has been for in order to make sure her vaccination records are up to date. But," he gave a slight shrug, "I do understand a reluctance to go to eerily familiar vistas."

The choke on this gun needs adjusting.

So, has she made any mention," he asked after firing several rounds, a mix of shot and shells, "of any thing she would like? Books or movies or such? Speaking of, is there anything you need, for your superheroic works? Any problems with the Brownstone?"

"Y'know, I always did wonder if'n they got the same type'a pizza over there's we got. Italy would be right nice." Colt sighed at Dr. Archeville's other comment. "No, she ain't said nothin'. Y'know Grim. Girl sure loves'er surprises."

Colt strolled over to the bag that Dr. Archeville had been pulling weaponry from. He rummaged around inside if it for a bit, placing the AK-47 off to the side. "Actually, I been meanin't talk't ya bout th'Brownstone. I reckon't couldn't be hurt by'a good ol' fashioned tune up. What'n the?" Colt drew his hands out of the bag, he produced an RPG seemingly out of nowhere. "Now, Doc," Colt eyed the scientist with a sly expression, "What'a ya reckon this's doin' in'ere?"

"Oh, their pizzas are quite different. Then again," he shrugged and looked deep into the gunbag of mystery, "there are a large number of pizza styles in the United States alone. Chicago, California, New York, Detroit, all have their own regional variations. Same as hot dogs or chili -- you will find all types in this wondrous melting pot of a country!"

Man, now I want some pizza! And hot dogs! And chili! And chili dogs!

"General tune-up, nothing particular in min-," he began to ask when Colt brought out the RPG. He grinned and gave a half-shrug, "never know when you will need to use one of those. Best to know how to use it, and never need to, then need to use it but not know how!"

Ma, I could have used that against those demons that attacked!

Colt smiled at the scientist's sentiment. "That there's a good observation, Doc. What was't that one President'a yers said? 'Carry a big stick...'."

Colt slipped the RPG back into the bag, continually marveling how the small duffel seemed to utterly consume the long launcher.

"Darnit, Doc. First dinner reservations'n now dogs'n chili! I wish you'd quit talk'n bout food. Yer gon' make me hungry. Naw food ain't th'only thing I'd go travelin' fer. Reckon' Italy's got lots'a places ta visit. Ya know anyone'd know'a few good places t'go?" Colt drew another WWII erra weapon from Doc's bag and examined it with a professional eye as he waited for an answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archeville chuckled, "sorry, sorry; I have been putting the gift Erik gave me for Christmas to good use, spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Something with which Mona is quite pleased!" he added, winking. Then his eyes went wide, "say, after we are done with this, why not make a big pot of chili?! The rest of the gang would love it!"

Cooking is so fun!

Archeville selected something decidedly atypical: a speargun. "Other good places to go? Let me see... well, there are several islands in the Mediterranean sea, many suitable for vacationing. Switzerland is fine, too. And Germany, of course," he aded with another wink before firing the speargun at the targets.

"Chili? Naw yer speakin' ma language." Seeing the doctor select the unorthodox weapon gave Colt an idea. He set down the gun he was currently using and rummaged around in the extra dimensional bag for a moment. "Well, I'll be..." Colt held up a device that looked like a sort of potato gun. It had 'N.E.T.S.' written on the side with Neutralize Enemy Targets System printed in fine print. "Doc, tell me this here ain't a net gun. Y'all got one't actually works? Most'em we got back home ain't worth'a cow pie." He shouldered the weapon and aimed down range. "Oh, I reckon this'd look great mounted up'n th'MAVERIC. Don't'cha think?"

"An' I reckon th'mediterranean sounds kinda nice. I could do fer'a nice warm vacation'a think."

• 2 weeks later...

Archeville gave a noncommittal shrug, "yes and no. It has a decent range, and the net is fairly strong, enough to hold most beings with non-metahuman strength. Same materials as my coat," he said holding open one side of the labcoat, "but it is still not cost effective, and reloading it takes too long. Plus, most police forces seem more interested in other nonlethal weapons, such as 'stun bolts.'"

Chili! Let me see, we will need some stew meat -- beef, pork, lamb -- something with a lot of connective tissue... peanut oil... salt... beer... tomatoes... garlic cloves... jalapenos... red bell pepper... red onion... lime juice... scallion... cilantro... parsley... tortilla chips... chipotle peppers... adobo sauce... tomato paste... ancho chiles... cascable chiles... arbol chiles... cumin (seeds and powder)... more garlic... oregano... smoked paprika...

He put the speargun back in his bag, and peered around inside. "That is the biggest problem with my inventions, and something my critics do not seem to take into account. I can invent all sorts of amazing things. That, for me, is usually the easy part. The hard part, the thing that prevents me from 'doing more for the world,' is cost, largely due to the scarcity of the materials involved. It is all well and good to make, say, a power source that can put out enough energy to run the state of Texas, and is the size of a refrigerator, but if it costs more than the gross domestic product of the United States simply to run it, and twenty times that to build and install it, well," he shrugged again, and drew a slightly more advanced handgun from the bag.

"Best laid plans, eh Doc?" Colt said in response to Archeville's speech on the growing costs of his industry. When Archeville drew the new gun from his bag, Colt couldn't help but whistle. "Well, ain't she'a beaut? Go'n then, let's see wha'she got." Colt gestured toward the targets. His mind was already dancing with all of the things he hoped the gun would be able to do.

The Doktor chuckled, "it is not the planning. It is the funding. Well, I suppose that does go hand-in-hand with planning...'" He tilted his head for a moment, lost in thought

Transmutation as way to produce exotic and rare materials cheaply? Gold and Lead only three numbers apart on Periodic Table -- so are Tin and Silver, Carbon and Lithium -- simple change in electrons/neutrons/protons. Consult with Dark Star and Supercape.

then snapped back up and regarded the fresh target in the range.

Archeville's gun was as impressive as Colt has figured. Single shot, semi-, and fully automatic modes, with a variety of ammo styles (standard, armor piercing, rubber, high explosive). All told, it functioned like a primitive version of Colt's own guns.

• 2 weeks later...

"I reckon that there gun ya got's'a piece'a work there, Doc." Colt smiled and regarded him with a smug look from underneath his hat. I cain't help but thinkin' it might'a been'a bit'nspired." He drew his own pistol from its holster at his side. He flipped it around his index finger, quickly reversing his grip and offering it to the Doctor. "Why don't'cha see how't compares. Never know. Ya might learn somethin'."

• 3 weeks later...

The Doktor took Colt's gun, handling it with all due reverence. "Ah, a fine piece of engineering. You know, I never have asked: is this a common firearm where you are from, or is this a special piece?"

Regenerative power core in handle... components should be made of materials found on Earth, though I have never seen alloys quite this color... and from what I have seen of his use, it is far more potent than my multipistol. Just five minutes with my scanners...

He stepped up to the firing range and let off a few shots; the first was quite a bit more potent than he had anticipated. "Ha! A fine weapon!"

He offered the piece back, "so, were there any upgrades in particular you had in ind for the Brownstone? Or the MAVERIC? How has that been handling?"

The Doktor took Colt's gun, handling it with all due reverence. "Ah, a fine piece of engineering. You know, I never have asked: is this a common firearm where you are from, or is this a special piece?"

"Both'n neither't th'same time, Doc." Colt answered. "Th'tech'n'volved's par fer'th course'n my parts. However, th'guns'm selves're more like't collectors items. They got some special, minor, modifications't make'em special. Fit m'hands better, adjust t'm'sights easier'n such. That there's th'not typical part. But'a daresay the guns'mselves ain't above'n beyond what y'd be used't see'n there."

"Hmmm..." Colt ran the MAVERIC's current specs over in his head once or twice, and scratched at his sideburns thoughtfully before answering, "Well, bein' put'n th'spot ain't gon' get'cha th'best answer outta me, but if'n I had't say, m'first upgrade'd be'a fire extinguisher. One'a them super tech ones with th'two chemicals't mix'n foam up'n contact'n such. An, aw, hell. It cain't do worse'n'a upgrade to th'armor, I suppose."

Archeville nodded, "quite a bit more advanced, yes, moreso even than anything I have found in the Darts, Inc. projects. How well do you know the tech? I mean, aside form making your own bullets for it?"

Quite a bit here that could be applied to a very wide variety of fields!

He nodded at both of Colt's requests, "oh, easily done! In fact, the extinguisher could be incorporated into another items I was thinking of adding: a capturefoam projector. Similar mechanism, two chemicals in tanks, when mixed together in air they quickly set into a tough foam. Police forces have been experimenting with them for years, and such restraints are used at both ArcheTech and at The Lab. As for armor... " His eyes rolled back and forth as he turned back to his gun bag, "I think a force field might work best, rather than improving the composition of the armor plating. It would certainly be a faster and easier install."

Camouflage field? No, the Interceptors are more a search & rescue team; any covert work they need to do would be on foot, not in the MAVERIC. Besides, the MAVERIC is practically their symbol!

"As for the Brownstone, I do have a few tweaks in mind for the medbay," he said, looking through the bag for some new firearm to try, but fining he had tried just about everything. "Is there anything else?"

"Well, I'll tell ya, Doc. I know's much 'bout them there guns's one'a yer scientists might. I'd wager more if'n I were bettin' man. And I am. I c'n them guns apart'n put'em back t'gether wearin'a blindfold. If'n I could move'n ma sleep, I do't then too. Why d'ya think'a c'n make them bullets after all?" Colt flashed a proud smile. As modest as Colt often was, when he was good at something and he knew it, he let you know about it too.

"As for the Brownstone, I do have a few tweaks in mind for the medbay," he said, looking through the bag for some new firearm to try, but fining he had tried just about everything. "Is there anything else?"

"Actually," Colt forestalled talk of the Brownstone, "Speakin'a medbays...Ain't there any way't make that tech portable. We been'n'a couple'a scrape'n th'field where'a life support system'n th'MAVERIC'd a'done wonders. Not jus' fer'us, but fer them's we rescue's well. I'm sure Jack'n Grim'd both back me up'n that though."

Another thoughtful look seemed to turn up nothing for Colt, "As fer'th Brownstone, I reckon Grim'n Eli'd be better t'ask 'bout that. If'n y'ain't noticed, Grim's gon'n become'a sorta 'Den Mother' now'n 'gain. An' Eli spends time here studyin'. Th'only thing I'd suggest'd be some better scanners," Colt motioned to the computer room, "Them's the main feature I'd use. But I'd bet m'hat that Grim'n Eli'd have more important suggestions."

Archeville returned Colt's smile; he liked working with people who were justifiably confident in their skills. "Makes sense, though if you let me study those pieces for a day or two..." His words trailed off to a chuckle.

Probably should not push it -- professional courtesy! The request is out there, though, for his consideration. Or, as he might say, "contemplatin'"!

"I already planned on seeing Eli tomorrow, and I saw Erik yesterday. I do need to schedule time with Lynn, though," he said, drumming on his chin with two fingers. "Scanners and communications are on the upgrade schedule, too, though. Making the advanced equipment from the medbay potable enough to include in the MAVERIC... does pose some problems, though: much of it is keyed specifically to the five of you -- er, the six of us," he corrected, "which was necessary both to increase its efficacy and as a security safeguard. Making it usable on a wider number of people -- such as the general public -- would require downgrading or removing many of those safeguards, both making it less effective and more likely for something to go wrong."

Archeville returned Colt's smile; he liked working with people who were justifiably confident in their skills. "Makes sense, though if you let me study those pieces for a day or two..." His words trailed off to a chuckle.

"Naw, just hold't right there, partner." Colt said, jovially. "I ain't plannin' on lettin' them guns outta' my sight any time soon. But I ain't opposed't takin'a trip down't th'lab if'n ya do wanna study'em. Might even be better. That way, I'll be on hand't offer any'a my expertise if'n ya need." He folded his arms, implying that there would be no ground to give on the matter.

"I already planned on seeing Eli tomorrow, and I saw Erik yesterday. I do need to schedule time with Lynn, though," he said, drumming on his chin with two fingers. "Scanners and communications are on the upgrade schedule, too, though. Making the advanced equipment from the medbay potable enough to include in the MAVERIC... does pose some problems, though: much of it is keyed specifically to the five of you -- er, the six of us," he corrected, "which was necessary both to increase its efficacy and as a security safeguard. Making it usable on a wider number of people -- such as the general public -- would require downgrading or removing many of those safeguards, both making it less effective and more likely for something to go wrong."

"I reckon it's good that y'ain't jus' gettin' time in wit me. But as fer that healin' tank, yer probably right. Perhaps we should jus' go'n put't on'a back burner fer now." Colt nodded his head in ageement, "Sounds like we'd be takin'a a few too many unnecessary risks wit't fer my likin'."

• 2 weeks later...

Archeville's face lit up at the prospect of getting to do some real study of Colt's guns. "That sounds wonderful! Perhaps later this week? I mean, assuming there are no alien invasions or dimensional tears, or a hidden cache of robots being unearthed by construction workers." The latter was exactly what happened after he and Jack of all Blade had chatted.

Seeing Erik in action just blows those training session recordings away! A shame my schedule is such I cannot spend more time with them. But, they certainly have things well in hand, it seems. I made good choices in picking them!

"As for now, though," he glanced over at the clock, showing it was mid-afternoon, "how about we go make that pot of chili for the others like I suggested?"

"Well'a reckon I could certainly use some grub." Colt held a hand over his stomach as he holstered his pistol, "What with all'a this here shootin'n' talk I'd say y'all but done tired me out, Doc. Need't recharge them ol' cowboy batteries with some chili!" Colt gave his friend a jovial smile as he helped pack the mans guns away in the strange Mary Poppins like duffel bag he'd brought. "I don't suppose y'got ingrediants fer th'chili in here, do ya?"

The two carried only about cowboys, chili, and the ability to wipe one's mouth off with cactus all the way up the stairs to the kitchen...