Beginning of New Things (IC)

Raveled

She blinked. always thought she knew - not usually very subtle - mmh

She raised her hands, holding them up in the air and remaining perfectly still to show that she had no obvious equipment, no toys in her hands, not even a visor over her face. And without that visor, it was all the more obvious when lights danced behind her eyes like tiny fireflies blinking on and off as they milled around in her head.

She didn't say anything, but the speaker on a nearby EGK turned on...and didn't display a heart rate, but instead showed a line that was jumping all over the place to play a very familiar theme at about half speed and volume.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jessica's breath caught in her throat at the sudden and obvious display of power. "Oh...kay," she breathed. "You're a... you have a power. A superpower. That's fine for you, Mara, but.. I don't. Outside of my armor I'm just a normal girl. That doesn't explain how I can 'hear' a machine at all. Or how you were able to turn them off," she added.

"From my mother. And...yes. I think you do. Not exactly an expert, but pretty sure. Triggered by nerve regrowth treatment, or...mmh. Not my area. If I had more time and inv--" She stopped herself short, shaking her head. "Nevermind. Congratulations. Brain mutation."

She eyed the gauntlets, sinking back into her chair a little and folding her arms over her stomach. "Didn't...mmh. Owe an apology. Didn't turn them off. Turned...you off. ....sorry. Can't hear like you, anymore, but I used to. Still sort of a background hum. Blocking field was one of the first things I learned to build - I like the noise, but sometimes wanted silence. Gauntlets aren't really designed for it, but I made do. ...sorry for the smell. Suspect I burned out a couple parts."

Jessica was quiet for a long minute, working things over in her head. If this had really... If she was now a... Could she maybe...

The girl let out a tiny whimper, and this time she didn't try to stop the tears that came. "But... but I'm supposed to be normal. Just someone with armor."

Mara really didn't know what to do with a crying friend - she wasn't very good at offering comfort, and she knew it. Instead, she sat in silence, letting Jessica get the tears out of her system. And feeling awkward.

"You're brilliant," she said, when she couldn't bear the quiet anymore. "Cutting edge of technology at...17? Not very normal. Fly around saving people in a suit of powered armor most militaries would kill for. Not very normal. Just slightly less normal now than you were. Just...a difference. Still who you are. Who you were."

Jessica shook her head. "That's not it, Mara. Haven't you ever wondered about... later? One day in the future, when you're all done fighting, just setting everything aside and being a normal person? Worry about the rent and inflation and car troubles? Instead of supervillains and world-shattering terrors and whether or not you'll survive this new insanity today? But now I can't do that. No matter what happens from here on in, I'm going to be different. Apart from everyone else." Her sniffed and put her chin on her knees. "Sometimes I just... wanna be like everyone else. You know?"

Jessica suddenly lay back and pulled the covers up to her chin. She turned to face the wall, closing her eyes tight. "Oh, god, Mara. Just... just go away. Just let me go to sleep."

Mara hesitated, feeling a lot like she'd been stabbed. For a moment she just looked...sad, like something had struck an awful chord. Whatever it was, she fought it back down. "Normal..."

She sighed, and stood up. She picked up her gauntlets off the foot of the bed (though, notably, she didn't turn them off); lights danced behind her eyes as Jessica's armor-holding wristwatch formed in one empty glove. She carefully set it down on the nightstand. When she spoke it wasn't angry, or even upset...just tired and quietly bitter at...someone else. Life, maybe. "Normal...maybe. I wouldn't know."

She put the gauntlets in her bag and left the room, silently shutting the door behind her. But rather than leave she found a chair, pulled it up to the wall next to the door, and sat down. Inside her bag, the gauntlets continued their shifting glow.

She'd wait as long as she had to, even if she didn't know how long that would be. too long probably - always too long