Security Precautions (IC)

"No, ah, in the back..." Murdock pointed, but then afterwards kept his hands on the table so Miss Americana could work on him uninterrupted. "There was a space, and a mattress..." He didn't know much about people, but he was sure someone as beautiful and brilliant as Miss Americana didn't need to sleep in her laboratory. She had to have a much nicer bed elsewhere. "I did not know if it was a shelter against attack," he hazarded, "or a place to sleep when you were working. Or for a guest." He shrugged slightly. "I did not mean to pry. I would not have gone to a place where I was not welcome."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh, that." Miss A looked uncomfortable for just the barest instant, then shrugged it away with a laugh. "I believe in being prepared. Because I have some medical skill as well, it's not impossible that someone would come here for me to take care of them and then need to rest up afterwards, or a test might take longer than I expected. Since I value the privacy of my home very greatly, it works better for me to have some way to offer people hospitality here. When the Lab is fully operational, there will be living quarters there as well, so my little mattress won't be necessary anymore."

Harrier didn't raise the subject again after that, evidently not wanting to pry. And it was true, he didn't: Harrier understood the value of privacy only too well. What Miss Americana had said made perfect sense, and it wasn't his place to probe any further. Eventually Miss Americana got the last adjustments made and Harrier was completely invisible beneath the shining silver armor of Caradoc, even when the dragon-mouthed jetpack at his back fired. When all was done, Caradoc studied himself in the mirror, his expression as ever invisible beneath his mask. "This is...This is excellent work," he said, an authority in his voice Miss Americana hadn't heard before. "Thank you. It...it will give me much to consider."

"You look perfect," Miss A said with considerable professional pride, looking him over and scanning him at the same time. "Sufficiently sophisticated instruments will be able to pick up on the fact that you're projecting a hologram, but most people don't carry those around with them. For the purposes of the people of Freedom City and the heroes you'll meet, you can just be Caradoc, protector of the weak and upholder of justice. It's a good look on you."

"It's a new look for me," said the Omegadrone in a tone that said he knew just how mild that wax putting it. He let himself imagine crowds cheering as he flew overhead, applause and adoration for once in his life instead of screams of horror and death. "One that will take some getting used to. May I fly home like this?" he asked her. "I will use the concealment circuits in my pi, er, sword to conceal myself when I arrive. Caradoc's secret identity is as important as Harrier's. Perhaps more so," he admitted. "Since there are two of them to keep."

"You can use it whenever you want," she told him. "It's yours now, your secret identity, to do with as you will. You don't even have to hold onto the Harrier identity anymore if you don't want to. Tell anyone you trust that you're taking on a new identity and why, then just let go of that name. Sometimes it's easier to just start over from scratch. But you don't have to do that right away," she added, not wanting to make him too nervous. "It's your choice."

"I don't trust anyone but you," Caradoc replied, his voice frank rather than complaining. "No one else has opened up to me as you have, or has trusted me as much. But no one else has had a reason to before," he said with the greatest confidence she'd yet heard from him. "No one before today." He walked to beneath an open window with Miss Americana, looking...well. It was good to feel that way, too. "I will keep in touch, and tell you what I am doing. Thank you."

She smiled at him, one that was a little more crooked and somehow more genuine than most of her smiles. "I hope it works out for you, and that you're very happy," she told him honestly. "I can't step into your shoes, but I know a little bit of what it's like to have people judge you based on what you look like, instead of what you are like. Let me know if the projector ever gives you any trouble, or if you need a hand. You know how to get in touch with me, right?"

"I do," said Caradoc. "And I will. Without you, nothing about today would have been possible." And with that, and an inclination of his armored head, the former Omegadrone took off into the sky, roaring into the blue overhead like the armored avenger of justice he now appeared to be. Far enough off the ground, from below he looked like any other shining symbol of hope over Freedom City. He looked like a hero, like a champion of the innocent, someone whose soul was as gleaming and bright as the armor he wore. And for a little while, flying so far overhead, Murdock let himself believe it.