Ratel build first draft

JackgarPrime

So, anyone who's been talking in chat knows I've been working on a hero called Ratel, who would basically be a human with a "badger" power set. (Yes, I know it looks Wolverine-ish. It was a coincidence.) I'm putting up just his crunch here, to get any feedback/corrections on it. Complications, backstory, etc. will be in the actual application.

PL 7: (105/105pp)

Trade-offs: (None)

Abilities: 10+10+10+4+6 = 40pp

Str:20 (+5)

Dex:20 (+5)

Con:20 (+5)

Int:14 (+2)

Wis:16 (+3)

Cha:10

Combat: 6 + 8 = 14pp

Initiative: 5

Attack: +7 (+3, +4 Attack Focus) [6pp]

Grapple: +9/+8

Defense: +7 (+4 Base, +3 Dodge Focus, flat-footed 2) [8pp]

Knockback: -3

Saving Throws: 0 + 0 + 2 = 0pp

Toughness: 7 (+5 Con, +2 Protection)

Fort: 5

Reflex: 5

Will: 5 (+3 Wis, +2 Base)

Skills: 28r = 7pp

Intimidate 12 (+12)

Sense Motive 4 (+7)

Stealth 4 (+9)

Survival 4 (+7)

Swim 4 (+9)

Feats: 15pp

All-Out Attack

Attack Focus (Melee) 4

Dodge Focus 3

Fearless

Luck

Power Attack

Prone Fighting

Startle

Takedown Attack 2

Powers: 6 + 4 +1 + 1 + 1 + 13 + 2 = 28pp

Badger Claw Array 2.5 (Feats:Alternate Power) [6pp]

• Base Power: Strike 2 PF: Improved Critical 2, Mighty(5pp)
    AP: Burrowing 5

Enhanced Musculature Array 1 (Feats: Alternate Power 2) [4pp]

• Base Power:Super-Strength 1 (2pp)
    AP: Speed 2 (2pp)
    AP: Leaping 2 (2pp)

Immunity 2 Environmental Effects (cold, heat) (Flaws: Limited) (Thick Fur) [1pp]

Immunity Poison [1pp]

Protection 2 (Drawbacks: Noticeable) (Thick Hide) [1pp]

Regeneration 12 (Recovery Bonus 4, Bruised 3 (recovery check for Bruises {DC 10} take a free action 1/turn, Resurrection 2 (DC 10 1/day), Injured 2 (1/5 minutes) ) PF:Regrowth (Enhanced physiology) [12pp]

Super-Senses 2 Acute (Smell), Low-Light Vision [2pp]

40 + 14 + 2 + 6 + 14 + 28 - 0= 105

EDIT: Here's a revised version. Trying to move a bit away from the Wolverine-ish build into something reflecting the animal itself more.

It looks good to me Jack, but it does look an awful lot like a wolverine clone...

In order to differentiate from above, you may try rejigging a few non-core powers? e.g.

Regeneration? Not sure how that fits and really makes it very wolverine-like.

Additional limb - badger tail? [POssibly mixed in with bonuses vs trip or unbalancing]

Feat - Ground Fighting [He fights on all fours!]

Supersense - Low light vision / Darkvision [as badgers live in holes]

On that note, maybe 1 or 2 ranks in burrowing [as an AP to his claws, maybe...]

Communicate with Badgers [2 PP due to limitation, quite probably 1 if refs are generous...]

Possibly some "Features" such as Able to eat grubs/insects/rubbish without problems [bonus to survival rolls, no ill effects from rotten food], and / or Fur [bonus to cold and heat effects, no sunburn etc.]

Limiting Some ranks of Superstrength to Jaws only [badgers have very strong jaws apparently, bonus could apply to grapple of course due to the help this would give in such situations]

These are just some ideas, for a few PP, but I think it would go quite a way to leaving the "Wolverine" effect behind.

I don't understand what "badger powers" are, so let's just critique the mechanics, m'kay? First off, Formatting's all off; gotta fix that. Second, saves are under-par. They should average out to PL -2.

Skills... Why is Intimidate so high?

Feats, you don't have to pay for Diehard. All PCs get that automatically.

I'm not sure how much use Impervious 3 is going to be. I'd roll those points into Immunity, buy Aging and maybe Disease.

How much Impervious Toughness does he have, exactly? It might be a good idea to separate that into its own power, if he's gonna be getting Toughness from several sources.

Fill out Regeneration a bit more. Telling me "Bruise 3" is meaningless. What action does it take him to recover? Also, lethal attacks are very, very rare around here, so I'm not sure how much use you'll get out of that.

Supercape: Good point on the Burrowing thing. It was something I had meant to give him earlier, and just ended up forgetting all about it. I'll funnel a point somewhere to AP that off his Strike.

The regenerate is there to simulate something I'd actually read about a honey badger doing: Revive from being dead for a few hours.

I don't understand what "badger powers" are, so let's just critique the mechanics, m'kay? First off, Formatting's all off; gotta fix that. Second, saves are under-par. They should average out to PL -2.

Skills... Why is Intimidate so high?

Feats, you don't have to pay for Diehard. All PCs get that automatically.

I'm not sure how much use Impervious 3 is going to be. I'd roll those points into Immunity, buy Aging and maybe Disease.

How much Impervious Toughness does he have, exactly? It might be a good idea to separate that into its own power, if he's gonna be getting Toughness from several sources.

Fill out Regeneration a bit more. Telling me "Bruise 3" is meaningless. What action does it take him to recover? Also, lethal attacks are very, very rare around here, so I'm not sure how much use you'll get out of that.

Admittedly, I didn't full-on with the formatting this time, as it's just to look at the build itself. I'm gonna fix it for the actual sheet submission, don't worry.

If you've ever seen a honey badger (or "ratel" as they are also known) in action, they tend to be very Intimidating. They make lions take pause and even back off through sheer meanness. And his otherwise non-notable Charisma won't cut it on its own.

You're right about Diehard. I forgot all about that. I'll probably switch that to Luck 1, because you can always use that.

All that Impervious (a grand total of 5, with the non-Protection ranks included) was that I wanted his skin to be thick enough to stop bullets outright (as a Honey Badger's skin can stop bee's stingers outright, it seems about appropriate scaling)

I'm not entirely sure how noticeable the thick hide would be, exactly. If much of his body is fur-covered (he probably shaves at least his face and wears long clothing to hide it normally), then that would indeed be noticeable, and I'd probably apply that to a cold/heat resistance rather than his Protection.

That said, I could probably still apply it for both. As in, while most of his body is at least somewhat furred, he shaves his face. The face itself, however, you can see that the skin is tough and leathery. I'd have to ask a ref on that one, though.

EDIT: Modified the build in the first post.

Just an additional thought that sprung to mind.

If he is burrowing, he may want to get full darkvision to see in the tunnel (or an alternative accurate sense like tremor sense, which dosent fit quite so well).

(Its not really necessary, but immunity to suffocation may be of benefit to burrowers too... although not really a fit and he has high enough con to hold breath for some time...)

Just an additional thought that sprung to mind.

If he is burrowing, he may want to get full darkvision to see in the tunnel (or an alternative accurate sense like tremor sense, which dosent fit quite so well).

(Its not really necessary, but immunity to suffocation may be of benefit to burrowers too... although not really a fit and he has high enough con to hold breath for some time...)

I was considering one of the two. If I can spare a pp somewhere, I'll bump Low-Light up to Dark. I was considering Tremorsense, but it's a bit pricey right now at 3pp, although he might get it later on, as his powers grow. (or rather, as I can spare the pp)

Immunity (Suffocation) is also something I've considered, but it's a bit too pricey right now as well (2pp), but he may develop it later. After all, as a PL 7, he has lots of room left to grow!