Here's Lookin At You, Kid! (IC)

Sandman XI

The matron at St Sebastian's Orphanage was counting heads when she noticed a three children were missing. She asked the other children if they had seen them and they replid that they had not. The matron was worried. Where could these children have went to. Putting the children to bed, the matron and the other nuns searched high and low for the missing children. One even sat with the remaining children as the others looked around. After a few hours, a call was put into the police. The police came and looked around. searched the grounds and put an APB out for the children. The sergeant knew it was time. He pulled out the hero Rolodex. Every police case needed heroes. So they got a list of numbers of heroes (from the heroes themselves) and put them on a Rolodex. The heroes would be on call for cases, this being one of them. Two heroes were chosen. One being Slick, the other being Knight. They were called into the station and briefed on the case. And now they would meet each other.

Slick pulled up outside the Police Station in what he termed, affectionately, his Slickmobile: a revved up and elaborately painted but otherwise unremarkable Ferrari.

For cases like these, working directly on a mystery with no leads, there was no call for disguise - as yet. He went in his public heroic persona, a tall, athletic and handsome male. Blonde, blue eyed, tanned and fit, dressed in a tight fitting spandex black and white costume.

He leapt out of the car and virtually slid into the police station.

"Afternoon, officers" was his opening, accompanied by a wide smile "what seems to be the problem?"

One of the officers smiled and greeted Slick, "Top of the mornin to you, Slick! You came just in time to meet your partner. Just follow me." The officer lead Slick into a room where a Knight was hovering over a box of donuts. The cop cleared his throat. "Oh hi," Wesley looked up and smiled. The officer tipped his hat, "Slick, this is Knight. Knight, this is Slick. You two will be working together. You've both been informed of what's been going on. Everything we've gathered is on that folder on the table. Any questions of us can be answered through me. My name is Sergeant O'Halloharan. I'll take my leave and you two boys can get crackin. We have work to do too, you know?" With that the sergeant tipped his hat again and left, leaving the two with a file and a box of donuts. Wesley reached out his hand to Slick, "Hi, I'm Knight as so introduced. I guess we're cops now?"

Slick took Knights hand and gave it a firm handshake "I guess we are!" he replied. He took a peek inside the donut box and plucked out a double chocolate special. In general he preferred the fine cuisine his wealth could buy. But heh, who could resist a chocolate donut? besides, he hardly had to worry about his weight.

"So, what have we got?" he asked, somewhat rhetorically. He spread the folder and its contents out on the table. "Missing orphans?"

Looks a bit scruffy thought Slick, as he eyed up Knight. Cool eyes though.

Wesley nodded and thumbed through the sparse file, "Yeah, they've talked to a few people, but they've got no leads." He looked to Slick. Wasn't he a nice looking guy? He was handsome and really well built. The type you see on those romance novel covers. Wesley shook his head and smiled as he looked back at the files and scratched his head. "I think we should start at the scene of the crime. You know, conduct our own little investigation?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Nah," Wesley shook his head with a chuckle. "We don't even get badges," he said faux upset, "I mean what's up with that? You go in, flash steel and do things like cops, right? The movies I have watched have lied to me!" He chuckled again. The humor was a facade to take away that he was generally attracted to Slick's form at the moment. It was a tenuous disguise. Taking the folder, he beckoned Slick with a head movement, "Come on." When he finally realized what Slick had said he stopped. "You really have a heromoble?"

"Yeah its got go faster stripes and everything!" winked Slick.

"Its nothing fancy, just a customised Bugatti Veyron, all black. Looks nice, but no gadgets or anything. I put a decent sound system in, of course"

He pointed dramatically at the entrance, and held a classical pointing pose, before proclaiming.

"To the Slickmobile!" and giving Wesley a big grin. "Chin up, gotta enjoy the perks, or this job will get you down!" he said, before leaping to the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. These were one of those cars you only saw on those shows about cars. Man, this was cool! "Of course, Slick," he said with faux bravado, putting his fist on his hips. He pointed dramatically, "Away!" he snickered and shook his head as he got in the car. The Slickmobile was definitely slick. Though it was a bit... cozy on the inside. Wesley didn't know two seaters could get this close. It definitely put him closer to Slick than he thought he'd be. Just get to the orphanage, he thought flipping with the radio dial. Country, classical, rap, news... ah here we go, cheesy eighties music. Wesley nodded with a smile. This was perfect for the montage ride to the orphanage. All they needed now were some Aviators. He hoped Slick understood what he was doing, he didn't want to upset his golden... Wesley sat back in his chair and closed his eyes, flushing the mental images. Maybe Slick had some funky pheromone deal going on. Wesley thought about sensing him, but maybe later when it wasn't so obvious. He lightly tapped the dash and hummed along with the songs as they rode along.

Before they knew it, they where halfway there.

"Whoa..oaa... we're half-way the-ere" sang Slick cheerfully along to Bon Jovi

"Whoa...oaaaa! livin on a pra-yer!" he continued.

"So, what do I call you, partner?" he asked Wesley "or are you the strong and silent type?" he added with a wink.

Slick turned a corner at just above the speed limit. He was looking forward to unravelling the mystery. At the moment, he was keeping his anger in check, but he well knew that it would take only a small spark to set him off. Having spent his early childhood being experimented on, the merest hint of any such behaviour was a red rag to a bull. Missing children wasn't quite there, but it was heading in the right direction. A bit of banter kept his mind off what they could uncover. It could, potentially be quite horrible. And he responded to anxiety but jocularity and distraction, as always.

Wesley sang along with Slick to the chorus. It was fun and got things off his mind. "You can call me any thing you want." Aw hell, he had to phrase it like that, didn't he? He said it lightly enough for Slick to maybe hear or not. Well this was quite awkward. Think fast! "Yeah," he said with a stutter. He cleared his throat and spoke with command "You can call me Knight," He smiled with a definitive nod, "Something you can count on to protect you," there was a short pause there, "And the kids. And everyone." He breathed out and looked back in the file. "So, there were three kids. Raphael, Michael and Gabriella. All between the ages of thirteen and fifteen." He scanned the file and then looked to Slick, "Nothing connected the three at all, other than being orphans in the same orphanage."

Slick gave Wesley a sideways glance.

Well I never...is he...?

The radio started to blast out "Dude looks like a lady" which Slick cheerfully slang along to. He was tempted to change shape, but resisted the urge.

"Thirteen to Fifteen eh? It is, of course, possible they ran away. Have to keep an open mind about that. Orphanages are not the most fun of places. And childhood not always, despite what they sun, the most fun of times. "

The car swerved through a red light, just on the edge of legal justification. "So, what do we actually have? how do we know they where kidnapped? where from? any witnesses?"

"Have you looked through the file at all? Any thoughts? I'm sure you are just as smart as you are handsome. "