Faith and Liberty (IC)

angrydurf

Many would say the southside was too far gone, its slide to poverty and crime like the fens a forgone conclusion. Partisan saw no such thing. He saw a people in need of hope and someone willing to believe in them. Well that and someone to crack a few skulls for the more recalcitrant members of the community.

He climbed quickly up a fire escape to gain a better vantage over the corner below keen eyes surveying the streets below and ears alert for sounds of trouble.

Gabriel was doing one of his more typical patrols during the early evening, glad he had his coat to ward off the slight chill in the air. He'd just done a quick sweep a couple blocks over, and might have missed that anything was going on...

Except for the rather bright costume he saw on a nearby roof. Now, he wasn't one to throw stones in glass houses, all things considered, but it still left him curious. He adjusted his course and landed several feet behind the gentleman in American colors, a slightly amused smile on his face as he gently spoke up, the words ringing clear in Partisan's ears even though it was likely no one else would catch even a hint of them.

"Forgive me for intruding, sir, but is everything alright? Are you on something of a "hero patrol" yourself? I don't actually recognize your costume..."

When Partisan turns around, he will find Gabriel simply standing there, arms crossed over his chest, not even resembling a respectable fighting stance. He seemed to be patiently waiting for the other man to speak.

The Partisan turned slowly to face the fellow hero. "Something of the sort." he replied with a small smile as his gaze took in the other man with a satisfied nod after a moment leaving the distinct impression of being judged and apparently found worthy.

the bares hint of a crinkle of a smile formed at the corners of his eyes his half mask revealed moments before it touched his lips, "Yes well if recent sensibilities are to be believed I should be prancing about the shadows with some kind of predatory creature of the night emblazoned on my chest." he suggested with a small shrug of his broad shoulders. "I find this reminds them," he gestured out at the city expansively, "As well as myself, why I am here." he explained.

Gabriel gave a small laugh.

"Predatory creature of the night? Huh. I must have missed the memo, and I've been looking after these streets for a few months now. And I can't argue about your costume's symbology. If you can't tell, I'm not going to berate you for bright colors on your costume."

Because, you know, his own costume. The younger hero takes a few steps closer, still keeping the same pose. He seems to be talking a bit more normally now.

"Frankly, I think it's good to see someone wearing those colors, and working around Southside. Shows these folks that there's something worth hoping for and all. I'd wear them, but I don't feel it would be quite proper..."

At this point, he seems satisfied with the distance he covered, and extends his hand for Partisan to shake.

"I go by Gabriel. May I ask your name, sir?"

"I go by Partisan." he replied, at least that was the name he used now. He extended his metal sheathed arm and took the younger heroes hand in a firm shake. "We all have our own battles to fight." he agreed, "I'm sure you're colors hold just as much meaning for you." he suggested with a comradely smile.

Dropping his hand back to his side he glanced out over the city once again. "I admit I am likely not as familiar with these streets as yourself but it does seem these people need a reminder of what they have." he intoned somewhat solemnly, "To many too eager to squander it."

Gabriel gave a solemn nod as they shook hands. Meanwhile, his mind raced over the various rumors he'd heard on the street about Partisan. It seemed like they were men with similar outlooks on how to approach crime, though Partisan might be a touch rougher on thugs than Gabriel himself.

"Partisan. Good to meet you. I've actually heard a bit about you, now that I think about it. All good things. I think we both have similar outlooks on how to handle things around here."

He swept one arm out over the visible area of Southside. He cast his own gaze upon the streets, and sadness entered his eyes and voice.

"Southside's not had the best of luck for a while. But there are good people here. It's just that so many lose hope. It's worst when it's kids, who think that their only choices involve drugs and/or gangs. Too many go that route. And there are too many parasites willing to feed off those kids in one way or another."

He turned to face Partisan, a smile returning to his face.

"Luckily, they have heroes like you and me to help set them straight. Do you want me to give you a bit more lowdown on how things are around here these days?"

I confident smile split the masked vigilantes face, "I think we do have a bit in common." he replied, "Its good to see that some can look beyond the mistakes of the individual." he said with a nod.

He looked slightly surprised that he had so quickly been identified as older but it wasn't in the end too surprising, misdirection had never been his strong suit. "That would be most helpful." he answered eyes glancing down to the street every so often still watching for signs of trouble, "I've heard some of the basics but theres always more to these groups than meets the eye."

"I tend to give the youngest criminals the benefit of the doubt, barring them having crossed one of a couple of very firm lines. But really, everyone messes up. As long as I keep that in mind, I find it easier to try helping these people, instead of just condemning and imprisoning them."

Gabriel looks to his fellow hero with a curious expression on his face.

"What kind of information are you wanting most? Hot spots? Biggest offenders? Most subtle? Local "supervillains"? I'm more than happy to fill you in, just tell me what you'd like to know."

The patriotic hero settled into a languid lean with a good view of the street, "Honestly? It'll probably help but I have a feeling we'd be here all night." he said with a sigh, "I suppose we could start with the biggest offenders." he replies with a nod. His eyes flit back to Gabriel, "I know most of the active street gangs but little of those that pull the strings and feed them their poisons of choice." he admits.

Gabriel's face sets into a hard line.

"Most of the gangs have one backer or another. The mafia have been trying to extend their reach in the last year or so, and it's worked, to a point. I think we're only just stopping the increase of their influence, forcing it into a plateau."

He settles against another section of ledge, clearly beginning to call up memory.

"Let's see...First, you've got "Big Mike", who is one of the two sources for heroin in the area. He mainly operates out of-"

And so, Gabriel went about explaining 9 major crime lords who operated in the southern half of Freedom City. Some had more influence than others, but it was clear these men were movers and shakers in the realm of "normal" criminals.

Partisan stood and listened asking for occasional clarification it become relatively clear that his knowledge of the city and its history seemed to have some not insignificant holes. The larger events well known of course but the smaller twists that any native and even many who had only been around a short while would know he needed clarification on.

As the explanation drew to a close he looked out sternly over the neighborhood and city at large. "Thank you for your time." he replied gratefully, "It is good to know there are others looking out for these people they don't get the credit or protection they deserve." He looked back to Gabriel, "I think before things will get better we will have to strike at the source rather than the effect." It was obvious of course, "Though that is no mean feat in and of itself." he admitted.

Gabriel nods.

"That's long been a goal of mine. Unfortunately, I rarely seem to be able to find the help to strike at these bosses. And what's worse..."

His hands tighten into fists, and there's a subtle sound of humming anger in the air as his coat flutters in the air, despite there not being any breeze in that moment. When he next speaks, his voice carries an odd combination of anger, determination, and...disgust?

"Because it's not just humans who are leading gangs now. A couple of months ago, I worked with a group of other heroes to confront an "up and coming" protection racket. The only twist was, this racket was led by a demon from the pits of Hell. A "succubus", or something similar to the popular conception of one. It could fling unholy fire, it was supernaturally tough, could ensnare the minds of teenagers to act as its enforcers, and could even physically possess another person. We drove it back, but it wasn't seriously hindered. In the time since, I've occasionally tried to track it down, but..."

He gave a frustrated shake of his head.

"With all the madness going on in October, it was all I could do to keep people safe. Then I was recovering from injuries until a couple of weeks ago. I've only just managed to "catch up". But one day soon, I'm going after that demon. Because I don't intend to let its kind spread. And I intend to send a message to all the mob bosses: Even the most powerful of your kind, one literally not a mortal human, cannot stand against the forces of justice forever. Perhaps some of them will lose their will to fight. I can always hope and pray..."

The Partisan tensed as the obviously supernatural hero's powers flexed around them. He listened as the man explained the situation with a careful ear. "Demons?" he clarified, "No easy task that. I'm no sorcerer but you have my aid should you need it." he offered neatly. "I have faced such fel creatures in the past." he let slip before catching himself. Revealing his battles against the minions of the Thule society was perhaps too early yet.

Gabriel gave Partisan a half-smile.

"Glad to know I have your support. I brought it up because that thing's been trying to sink it's talons into Southside, with some success. I figure you'd want in on a fight to stop it.

I know another couple of people who faced it last time who might be up for a rematch. Beyond that, I can hopefully find someone with a bit of arcane knowledge to help us out. I want to be properly prepared when we face this thing next."

He glanced at his comrade-in-arms, curiosity all over his face.

"You've faced demons before? Any handy tips you can pass on?"

Partisan nods with a slight tightening around his eyes, "Its my understanding they can't be here on their own." he replies wih a shrug recalling the mission all those years ago, "Stop the ones who called it and it will be at the least weakened and certainly easier to vanquish." he elucidates. He glances over the city with an odd smile, "I think that you and I see eye to eye on many things Gabriel, such a creature will only start with southside. It will spread beyond if it can."

"I have a feeling you're right on both counts. We do seem to see things in a similar light...

And that creature will almost assuredly keep trying to spread its reach. I'm just thankful its influence in Southside has stalled for the moment. But its ability to enthrall means this demon can spread its power more quickly than most humans.

The puzzler is who called it. Our one encounter, it seemed to be acting very independently. I worry that it was called accidentally, and thus isn't being controlled at all."

He shook his head.

"Still, that's something to let our arcane expert to worry about when the time comes. Again, I'll make sure you're in the loop when it happens."