Mind Over Matter (IC)

Supercape

Erin hesitated for a moment, looking very torn. She looked back to the alcove, then back at Professor Cape. Finally she worked up her nerve and asked, "So when you say you can go to alternative dimensions, does that mean you can go to any dimension at all? What kind of information would you need to be able to go someplace specific? I mean, do they have addresses, or coordinates, or do you just need to know what they're like?"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Well, I haven't explored everywhere... and I'm not likely too" he chuckled "given the many world theory. Its practically infinite. "

"But in essence, I can go anywhere, yes. Anywhere physical anyway. The esoteric stuff that people call magic, or divine - and I call stuff science can't explain yet - that's beyond me. "

"But if you give me a description, I should be able to go there - given a bit of time to hone down the parameters. "

Erin considered that, considered how useful it might be to have someone outside the school who could open a dimensional door for her, especially now that James was so hard to get in touch with. Not for the Terminus project, obviously. It was too soon to even begin thinking that way, with so much left to plan. But she had other missions left undone far away from her cozy new home on Prime. "I was wondering," she began, "if you would let me keep that offer as a favor. I know some place I want to go, but I'm not ready today."

"But of course, madam" replied Supercape. He patted his lab coat, and produced a rather splendid gold trimmed card, the edges lines with a thin rim of quantum matter.

"My card" he explained, and gave the article in question to her. He brandished a superficially jazzed up but otherwise perfectly ordinary phone. "The number to the 'capephone, should you need it" he explained.

Erin smiled as she took the card, sticking it into her pocket for safekeeping. "Thanks," she told him. "You know, if you ever get a chance, you should meet my friend Edge sometime. I think you and he would hit it off." Sure, Edge spent most of his working life mostly ignoring science, but he had the same over-the-top happy-to-be-who-you-are attitude that the scientist presented. Plus their costumes almost matched, from what she could see under the lab coat.

"Sounds an edgy character" he chuckled.

"Ermmm" he continued, looking around for the tumbleweed that was poetically present, but not present in actuality.

"Anyway. Yes I would be delighted, sounds like he has excellent taste in costumes, if nothing else!" he carried on, giving a little sparkle of light on his lab coat to emphasise the point.

"What is his field of study?"

"Um... he doesn't really have one," Erin admitted, actually chuckling. "He's one of my classmates. Most of what he does sort of ignores science, so it's not exactly his specialty. He's a reality warper," she explained. "But he's the kind of guy who really appreciates a good cape and a super-phone and business card and stuff. He loves that sort of thing," she added with a nod.

"A gentleman of fine taste, clearly" agreed Supercape, producing another business card. "Best give him one of these then. Look, its got some sparkly quantum material on it" he added, showing her the edges of the card proudly.

"Reality warper eh? All sounds rather dandy. Quantum anthromorphic shifts in split universes, probably. Although I don't know how one tests these things. All rather theoretical. "

"Boyfriend of yours?" he added, hoping not to embarrass her.

"Oh, no," Erin said quickly enough that it was just as well Edge wasn't around. Not that Edge would've noticed to be insulted, anyway. "He's just a friend, and my teammate on Young Freedom. He's very useful to have around, if he'd been here, those villains would've gotten stuck in the elevator, probably before we even knew they were there. Things always tend to work out that way for him."

"Sounds like he is a jammy bast..."

"Ahem"

"An extremely fortunate young gentleman" replied Supercape politely. "And I am positive he is most appreciative of his peculiar talents. I presume, given his splendid taste in costumes, that he is equally splendid in his heroics!"

He tapped the terminal on the north elevator shaft "where too, madam?"

"Um, wherever," Erin said with a shrug. "If the villains are gone, I guess your lab is probably safe to go back to now. Or if there's something you particularly want to show me, maybe." She didn't look at all inclined to take a leadership role now that the battle was over and talk had turned away from fighting. Science was most definitely not Erin's forte, and she was working as hard as she could simply to not make a fool of herself.

Supercape smiled. "I think you have earned your grade A today, madam. And my thanks. And of course you are welcome in the Lab any time. We do have some heavy crates that need shifting".

He signed a piece of paper with a flourish. "There you go. Grade A. And much deserved!"

He pressed a button on the elevator shaft "going down!"