JohnStargazer - The Beacon - PL10 Hero

Power Level: 10 (150/152pp)

Trade-Offs: -2 Attack and Defense, +2 Damage and Toughness

Unspent pp: 2

Gold Status: 2/30

In Brief: The inheritor of a mystical legacy with a great deal to live up to... who isn't Scarab.

Alternate Identities: Johnathon Micheal Stargazer

Identity: Secret

Birthplace: Freedom City

Affiliations: The Albright Institute

Family: Father: Arthur Stargazer, Mother: Melissa Stargazer, Younger sister: Sarah Stargazer.

Ethnicity: English

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 135 lbs.

Eyes: Pale Blue

Hair: Light Blonde

Description:

Tall for his age, John's skin is deeply but unevenly tanned, a sign of time spent outdoors more than any time spent intentionally developing it. His pale blonde, almost white hair is kept shoulder length and curls gently, despite his best efforts to keep it straight. His eyes are a pale, icy blue, and his features are boyishly handsome. He remains clean-shaven, partly out of choice and partly due to an inability to grow a mustache, Clothing wise, he wears baggy shorts and loose fitting t-shirts bought under the ever prevailing theory that he'll "grow into them." This, combined with his tendency to slouch, leads to his having a slovenly appearance, which he does little to counter in attitude.

When he calls upon the power of the Light-Bearer, whatever he's wearing is covered by a sheath of light that forms into a set of full body white tights, notable for a sun covering the entire right side of his torso. At the same time, a pair of banded metallic yellow boots form on his feet, and a featureless gold mask covers his face.At the same time, he straightens up, and even his thin frame cuts a relatively impressive figure in that form.

History:

For most of his life, Johnathon Micheal Stargazer was a normal kid, living a normal kid's life. Wake up, eat breakfast, brush your teeth, get dressed, watch the news for a bit to see if he could see anything about the city's heroes, then ride the bus to school craning his neck to catch a glimpse of one flying by overhead. For most of his life, he was no one special, just a funny, friendly face in the middle of the classroom, always willing to help his fellow classmates out with their work. He joined a soccer league at age eight, learning the benefits of teamwork and keeping him in pretty good shape, he learned to enjoy studying history and learning about fantastic old battles, hung out with friends and occasionally got into a little bit of trouble, but through it all, he never stopped looking to the sky.

And then one day, the sky came to him. Shortly after his sixteenth birthday, he received a mysterious letter summoning John to the Albright Institute as soon as possible. Even though it was a long journey from his home in Southside, he found himself strangely compelled to follow the letter's instructions, unsure why, but knowing it felt somehow important. Throwing on a warm jacket to guard against the unusually wet weather, he quickly made his way accross the river. As he arrived, he was greeted warmly by an elderly black man in a distinguished dark suit. "My name is Langston Albright, Mister Stargazer, and I believe you may be the person I've been looking for."

Once they had moved into a private office, the old man explained, "You see, years ago, I was Beacon, a super-hero, and I had a power. A magical power, this light. I've been using it to fight for sixty-five years by now, and I'm tired. Which is why I had this institute looking for years to find a suitable replacement. And damned if they never did pull it off. All that time and money, and in the end it was one old friend who found you for me."

"Wait, me?"

"She didn't mention you were hard of hearing, kid. I sent you that letter because you should be just about ready to accept the responsibility at your age, and I'm not going to be here to pass it on much longer at mine. You are, in this entire city, maybe this entire world, the candidate best suited to replace me. Damned if I know what, but there's something special about you."

"So... you called me here, out of the blue, without ever having met me before, to give me some kind of magic light thing so I can be a super-hero?"

"That's about the size of things alright..."

"Best. Birthday. Ever. What do we do? I mean... I don't have to kill you or anything, right? That'd kind of be a deal-breaker, right there."

"No. While the powers will pass from you when you die and find the closest possible replacement, we're trying to prevent that by transferring them into you now. There are dark forces rising, my boy, and we can't risk the powers finding the wrong host. All this requires is for you to accept, freely, and with a will to help others..."

"In a heartbeat. It's what I've wanted my whole life..."

Langston Albright, the man formerly known as Beacon, smiled broadly at this. "I knew The Scarab was right about you, John. You just felt right. Now, come on. We have work to do."

The transfer was less painful than John had imagined, and greater than he could have hoped for. His entire body filled with the warmth of the White Light, he learned faster than seemed possible. His old skills proved useful, and he learned everything Langston Albright taught him, everying Langston thought he could teach him.

"Well, John. I think it's time you were introduced to someone new. An old friend of mine."

"The Scarab? Or another hero?"

"Something like that. He's a teacher now... and I think you're ready to enroll in his school."

And so, the story begins...

Personality & Motivation:

Originally an upbeat and carefree young man, John has recently been burdened with a great responsibility, living up to a long established legacy of great heroism. While this wears on him sometimes, he remains cheerful, and often claims the powers themselves more than make up for the weight of the world being on his shoulders. Although he's learned to be a bit more careful in combat, he still enters into battles with a giant smile, hidden by his mask though it may be. His friends often tell him his greatest character weakness is his love of terrible puns, and this love has, if anything, been enhanced by his powers.

Powers & Tactics:

John has found himself the newest, and perhaps most powerful to date, wielder of the powers of the Light-Bearer, the mystical champion of Light. As such, he can shape the light around him, and generate his own more or less at will, glowing as brightly as the sun itself. This mystic light can be further shaped into powerful laser blasts, blinding flares, and rudimentary hard light constructs. In addition, as a new development, those touched by the light can be healed or have their emotions soothed. Finally, by wrapping himself in a skin-tight aura of hardened light, he protects himself from nearly all forms of attack, as well as allowing him to move through the air at speeds of up to two-hundred and fifty miles per hour.

Tactically, he owes much of his fighting ability to extensive training after hours with Langston Albright, the previous Beacon, and the rest to lengthy practices on the soccer pitch. John typically starts a fight by assessing his opponent to determine his opponent's strength, then either softens them up with a flare, or simply blasts them and hopes for the best.

Complications:

New Kid! John was admitted to Claremont over the summer of 2010, as a Sophomore. As such, he's got no real friends yet, and is likely to be looked down on for at least a little while.

Responsibility John's taken on the legacy of one of the city's greatest champions, and inherited a mystical legacy of heroism going back millenia. It's a lot to carry.

Secret Identity: John's role as Beacon is one he's hiding, from his family, friends, and the world at large. This is a bit tricky, as you might imagine.

The Shadow-Bearers: As the most recent champion of the White Light, John has inherited the countless champions of the Shadow, such as Nacht-Krieger and Blackstar, as his enemies.

Abilities: 2 + 4 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 8 = 24pp

Strength 12 (+1)

Dexterity 14 (+2)

Constitution 14 (+2)

Intelligence 12 (+1)

Wisdom 14 (+2)

Charisma 18 (+4)

Combat: 12 + 16 = 28pp

Initiative: +2

Attack: +6 Melee +8 Ranged

Grapple: +9 (+8 Attack +1 Strength)

Defense: +8 (+8 Base, +0 Dodge Focus), +4 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -11

Saving Throws: 4 + 4 + 7 = 15pp

Toughness: +12 (+10 Impervious Force Field, +2 Con)

Fortitude: +6 (+2 Con +4)

Reflex: +6 (+2 Dex +4)

Will: +9 (+2 +7)

Skills: 44R = 11pp

Bluff 6 (+10/14)

Concentration 8 (+10)

Diplomacy 6 (+10/14)

Knowledge: Arcane Lore 4 (+5)

Knowledge History 4 (+5)

Knowledge Streetwise 4 (+5)

Notice 6 (+8)

Sense Motive 6 (+8)

Feats: 12pp

Assessment

Attack Focus:Ranged 2

Attractive 1

Fearless

Luck 2

Power Attack

Precise Shot

Quick Change

Taunt

Ultimate Aim

Cell Phone

Powers: 60pp

(All Powers use the Magic and Light descriptors)

Array 12 (24pp powers: Power Feats: Alternate Power 5) [29]

• BE: Light Control 12 [24pp]

AP: Blast 12 [24pp]

AP: Create Object 12 (12 5ft cubes, STR 60, Toughness +12) [24pp]

AP: Dazzle 7 (Visual Senses; Extras: Area [General, Burst 30' radius]; Power Feats: Longer Lasting 1 [1 Minute]) [22pp]

AP: Emotion Control 12 (Extras: Area [Targeted, Burst, Attached, 60ft radius]; Flaws: Limited - Calm Only) [24pp]

AP: Healing 12 (Extras: Total; Flaw: Others Only) [24pp]

Flight 5 (250MPH) [10pp]

Force Field 10 (Extras: Impervious)[20pp]

Immunity 1 (Own Powers) [1pp]

Drawbacks: 0 + 0 + 0 = 0pp

DC Block

ATTACK      RANGE     SAVE                        EFFECT

Unarmed  Melee     DC16 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Blast  Ranged   DC27 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Dazzle  Ranged   DC16 Reflex/Fortitude            Blind

Create Obj Ranged DC22 Reflex or Reflex/Toughness Staged Capture/Damage

Emotion Control Ranged DC22 Will(Staged)    Calm

Abilities (24) + Combat (28) + Saving Throws (15) + Skills (11) + Feats (12) + Powers (60) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/152pp

So you were under counting on your APs it looks like you had 60pp spent on powers so it looks like you're 4pp over right now. I formatted the powers to match our formatting and make it a little easier to read.

You can drop your base attack to +2 within our rules and get more ranged attack bonus (or even attack specialization/accurate on your powers.) losing 4 ranks of base attack and replacing them with ranged attack focus will net you the 4 points.

We need descriptors for his powers but since they are all the White Light right now I think you can just add a note next to the powers heading that they are all Magic, and Light descriptors.

Just about everything looks good to me.

That "Longer Lasting" feat from Freedom City Archetypes & Legacies makes me nervous, since it's a feat that almost gives you the benefit of buying up the Duration extra (fights don't tend to last more than 10 rounds around here at the most). Then again, the same argument could be made against Slow Fade, and that's core. So we'll let it pass for now on a trial basis, but don't be surprised if we wind up rescinding our approval if it proves to be broken.

:approved:

• 3 months later...