Stat Yourself [Elseworlds/What If?] [IC]

Heridfel

As Tony listened to James, he took his advice and reached for his wallet. Pulling it out, Tony noticed that is was noticably thinner than usual...and that is was a different color. Tony stopped for a moment, holding the wallet like it was a dangerous animal. This, more than any of the other things, scared Tony. His life, or at least parts of his life were in this wallet. Slowly he opens the wallet...

And finds that not everything has changed. Beathing a sigh of relief, Tony stares at the photo of his wife...their wedding picture...his daughter, bith as a baby and her current picture. His Grandparents...all of the pictures were right. Flipping back to the front, Tony looks at his Driver's License. It also was the right one. His past...his former self was still there. Only NOW was different.

Looking over at James, Tony studies hims for a moment...then he hears the name Herid Fel. I know that name...Looking back forward, Tony chooses his next words carefully, " I know the name Herid Fel...Freedom City News....The Fan Site. James...I am Nightshyft. I post there also."

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James coasts to a stop as the light in front of him turns red, then takes a look over at Tony. "Well, that's one thing we got in common then. Good to meet you in person, though I'd've bet you any amount of money that it wouldn't be here. You also replacing someone from Freedom City?"

The light turns green, and he starts back up again. They're traveling along the northern edge of Southside, and signs for the Pramas bridge are ticking down the miles. 10 miles away... 5 miles away... "If there's any more of us forum-folk, we'd better try to find 'em as swiftly as we can. There are two possibilities - either they'll get thought crazy, or someone'll believe 'em. I don't know which would be worse."

James coasts to a stop as the light in front of him turns red, then takes a look over at Tony. "Well, that's one thing we got in common then. Good to meet you in person, though I'd've bet you any amount of money that it wouldn't be here. You also replacing someone from Freedom City?"

The light turns green, and he starts back up again. They're traveling along the northern edge of Southside, and signs for the Pramas bridge are ticking down the miles. 10 miles away... 5 miles away... "If there's any more of us forum-folk, we'd better try to find 'em as swiftly as we can. There are two possibilities - either they'll get thought crazy, or someone'll believe 'em. I don't know which would be worse."

"Uh, what happened to Richmond?"

Bailey looked at the street and the skyline that loomed over it with wide, unbelieving eyes.

"What? That's . . . This . . . I have no idea."

Then reality began to set in. Bailey grabbed Lila's arm. She took several large steps back from the comic shop, dragging Lila with her into the street. Pointing up to the large sign above the shop, "Does that look familiar to you?" She pointed to the heroes in the windows. "How about those?

Bailey stared at Lila, mouth agape, hoping that this all wasn't just in her head.

Bailey looked at the street and the skyline that loomed over it with wide, unbelieving eyes.

Then reality began to set in. Bailey grabbed Lila's arm. She took several large steps back from the comic shop, dragging Lila with her into the street. Pointing up to the large sign above the shop, "Does that look familiar to you?" She pointed to the heroes in the windows. "How about those?

Bailey stared at Lila, mouth agape, hoping that this all wasn't just in her head.

seanavatar.jpg

Sean tried to list the myriad of things that were irking him as the van trundled it's way, well, somewhere. He realised what sounded weird when his boss was talking to him before - it seemed as though both he and the thin camera man had both picked up American accents. And what's with his being in the camera van anyway? He works in the library, not as a camera man's assistant. Sean wondered absently whether he'd lose his job. The only problem with that being, it seemed like he wasn't working for Channel 9 anymore - all of the equipment in the van said Channel 5! Sean sighed - he forgets a lot of things, but surely he wouldn't forget which station he works for. He was pretty certain they didn't even have a 'Channel 5' in Australia. Curiouser and curiouser. Sean contemplated his clothes, he was still wearing a light, brown jacket and jeans, but instead of the Collingwood Magpies being on his t-shirt, he's now weaing a red shirt sporting some baseball team called 'The Comets'. Outside the van, Sean wasn't sure what he was hearing, but it sounded like a storm. Odd, since it had been fine and sunny this morning. After about 20 minutes the van came to a stop, and a few moments later the doors opened once again. The thin man stands there, "C'mon, we'll get some shots of a downed powerline over there and there's some good damage just on the other side of the street." The camera man reaches into the van and pulls out a good length of cable, "Forget the boom for now."

Sean unbuckles his seatbelt and walks out of the back of the van. He looks around at the alien city, obviously a lot bigger than Melbourne where he woke up this morning. The thin cameraman chastised him for not grabbing the camera and then hands him a roll of cable, "Mark me." Sean knew that this meant he had to follow the camera man around with this power cable and make sure that he didn't trip over anything. He did so, absently. His eyes were cast upward at the tall buildings, none of which he recognised. Not only was he not paying attention to his job, but he also wasn't paying attention to the world around him. He's not sure how he knew it, but he realised that the damaged light pole behind him was about to snap. He knew it before he heard the moan of twisting metal and then it's crisp release. He knew all of this, sure, but all it did was give him enough time to turn around and see the heavy metal form bearing down on him from above, the slow motion image accented by sparks being thrown about at the lamp posts break. Sean closed his eyes and held his arms to his face - a reflexive move that would offer little protection in reality. He waited for death, or at least grievous injury, but it didn't come. Opening his eyes, all he could see was her. She floated there, in the air, bearing the weight of the lamp post easily and tossing it away safely as if it weighed nothing. She smiled at him, her long hair framing her fine features with a shifting ebony halo. He continued to stare, and whilst her smile never left her face, her expression became one of mild amusement, as opposed to the previously held solemn grace, "You're not from around here, huh?" Sean didn't answer. "Well, look after yourself. Freedom City ain't always the safest place to be." And with that, she rose into the air, making her way over the buildings and out of site. Sean stumbled, then he fell. The thin camera man came rushing up to him, "Man, she actually spoke to you - that was awesome!" Still Sean didn't feel like he had anything to say. The thin man continued, "C'mon, let's get these shots done. We've gotta head over to Astro labs after this." And with that he continued filming the mundane weather damage spinkled on the street. Sean stood up and his eyes, once again, looked to the sky - only this time with increased vigour. He wasn't the least bit surpirsed when his eyes fell on Millennium Comics, but the confirmation of where he was only increased his heartrate - I'm in Freedom City! His mind tries to think around it, but he stops himself, this is probably a dream, so I'm not going to ruin it by realising the truth. His eyes fall upon two young women standing on the street outside Millennium Comics. They look distressed, but more importantly they look lost. Sean drops the cables he's holding and begins running over to them, "Hey! Hey, listen, I think I'm a little... um, lost?" He suddenly stops short of them about 10 feet, his face twisted as his mind churns through memories, "Do I know you?"

seanavatar.jpg

Sean tried to list the myriad of things that were irking him as the van trundled it's way, well, somewhere. He realised what sounded weird when his boss was talking to him before - it seemed as though both he and the thin camera man had both picked up American accents. And what's with his being in the camera van anyway? He works in the library, not as a camera man's assistant. Sean wondered absently whether he'd lose his job. The only problem with that being, it seemed like he wasn't working for Channel 9 anymore - all of the equipment in the van said Channel 5! Sean sighed - he forgets a lot of things, but surely he wouldn't forget which station he works for. He was pretty certain they didn't even have a 'Channel 5' in Australia. Curiouser and curiouser. Sean contemplated his clothes, he was still wearing a light, brown jacket and jeans, but instead of the Collingwood Magpies being on his t-shirt, he's now weaing a red shirt sporting some baseball team called 'The Comets'. Outside the van, Sean wasn't sure what he was hearing, but it sounded like a storm. Odd, since it had been fine and sunny this morning. After about 20 minutes the van came to a stop, and a few moments later the doors opened once again. The thin man stands there, "C'mon, we'll get some shots of a downed powerline over there and there's some good damage just on the other side of the street." The camera man reaches into the van and pulls out a good length of cable, "Forget the boom for now."

Sean unbuckles his seatbelt and walks out of the back of the van. He looks around at the alien city, obviously a lot bigger than Melbourne where he woke up this morning. The thin cameraman chastised him for not grabbing the camera and then hands him a roll of cable, "Mark me." Sean knew that this meant he had to follow the camera man around with this power cable and make sure that he didn't trip over anything. He did so, absently. His eyes were cast upward at the tall buildings, none of which he recognised. Not only was he not paying attention to his job, but he also wasn't paying attention to the world around him. He's not sure how he knew it, but he realised that the damaged light pole behind him was about to snap. He knew it before he heard the moan of twisting metal and then it's crisp release. He knew all of this, sure, but all it did was give him enough time to turn around and see the heavy metal form bearing down on him from above, the slow motion image accented by sparks being thrown about at the lamp posts break. Sean closed his eyes and held his arms to his face - a reflexive move that would offer little protection in reality. He waited for death, or at least grievous injury, but it didn't come. Opening his eyes, all he could see was her. She floated there, in the air, bearing the weight of the lamp post easily and tossing it away safely as if it weighed nothing. She smiled at him, her long hair framing her fine features with a shifting ebony halo. He continued to stare, and whilst her smile never left her face, her expression became one of mild amusement, as opposed to the previously held solemn grace, "You're not from around here, huh?" Sean didn't answer. "Well, look after yourself. Freedom City ain't always the safest place to be." And with that, she rose into the air, making her way over the buildings and out of site. Sean stumbled, then he fell. The thin camera man came rushing up to him, "Man, she actually spoke to you - that was awesome!" Still Sean didn't feel like he had anything to say. The thin man continued, "C'mon, let's get these shots done. We've gotta head over to Astro labs after this." And with that he continued filming the mundane weather damage spinkled on the street. Sean stood up and his eyes, once again, looked to the sky - only this time with increased vigour. He wasn't the least bit surpirsed when his eyes fell on Millennium Comics, but the confirmation of where he was only increased his heartrate - I'm in Freedom City! His mind tries to think around it, but he stops himself, this is probably a dream, so I'm not going to ruin it by realising the truth. His eyes fall upon two young women standing on the street outside Millennium Comics. They look distressed, but more importantly they look lost. Sean drops the cables he's holding and begins running over to them, "Hey! Hey, listen, I think I'm a little... um, lost?" He suddenly stops short of them about 10 feet, his face twisted as his mind churns through memories, "Do I know you?"

seanavatar.jpg

"Ummm...let me look again," Tony once again opens his wallet. Looking at his license closer, he notices that while the address is the same, the city is listed as Freedom City. "Yup...seems that I am. That means that I am replacing someone?" Folding the wallet once again, Tony replaces it in his back pocket.

"So...we are from OUR dimension...right? And now we are in THIS dimension? Freedom City...The Freedom League...Super Heroes...with Super POWERS!" Tony's excitement could almost be felt, it was so intense. But as quickly as it crested, it seemed to crash. Suddenly Tony's face took on a dark cast...literally. The car suddenly seemed slightly darker, especially around the older Forum Member. The Shadows within the small car gathered around him in a swirl, his green eyes taking on a neon intensity... "But that means something is wrong...nothing like this happens without a reason. Right? I mean every comic book story is like this...ordinary people thrust into extraordinary situations?"

"Ummm...let me look again," Tony once again opens his wallet. Looking at his license closer, he notices that while the address is the same, the city is listed as Freedom City. "Yup...seems that I am. That means that I am replacing someone?" Folding the wallet once again, Tony replaces it in his back pocket.

"So...we are from OUR dimension...right? And now we are in THIS dimension? Freedom City...The Freedom League...Super Heroes...with Super POWERS!" Tony's excitement could almost be felt, it was so intense. But as quickly as it crested, it seemed to crash. Suddenly Tony's face took on a dark cast...literally. The car suddenly seemed slightly darker, especially around the older Forum Member. The Shadows within the small car gathered around him in a swirl, his green eyes taking on a neon intensity... "But that means something is wrong...nothing like this happens without a reason. Right? I mean every comic book story is like this...ordinary people thrust into extraordinary situations?"

"Far as I know. I mean, the call went to this phone, not some other guy's. And we had the same name - there aren't many with my last name" James says. He pulls off the highway to a smaller road that parallels the shore. He has to slow down suddenly to keep from rear-ending someone driving below the new speed limit, but doesn't do anything more than grimace.

"There's also a ton of comics where it's just random chance that causes something. It's not always Loki causing the Avengers to form, or Magneto fighting against the X-men," he says. " I am really hoping that I'm not just crazy, really. I'll figure it out as I go along."

He doesn't seem to notice the darkness gathering as he starts looking for a place to park near one of the beaches. There's another car parked nearby, and James pulls in behind it.

"Far as I know. I mean, the call went to this phone, not some other guy's. And we had the same name - there aren't many with my last name" James says. He pulls off the highway to a smaller road that parallels the shore. He has to slow down suddenly to keep from rear-ending someone driving below the new speed limit, but doesn't do anything more than grimace.

"There's also a ton of comics where it's just random chance that causes something. It's not always Loki causing the Avengers to form, or Magneto fighting against the X-men," he says. " I am really hoping that I'm not just crazy, really. I'll figure it out as I go along."

He doesn't seem to notice the darkness gathering as he starts looking for a place to park near one of the beaches. There's another car parked nearby, and James pulls in behind it.

R.J. awoke in an alley.

He had been drinking last night. Which was unusual, Because R.J. doesn't drink. It was someone's birthday? Adam's.

His head was ringing. His vision was tunneling. God, a Migraine, and he smelt awful. This was going to be fun. His hand went to pocket. Thank god. His wallet was fine. He had his money. And He had his Maxalt. He popped the little pill, and put it's container back into his pocket. His friends made fun of him. His migraine medicine looked like it came in a birth-control container.

As long as it kept him from being pregnant with headaches, he could stand the verbal abuse.

Soon enough the headache began to clear, but there was still a ringing in his head. It was new to him. Just what I need,another kind of headache.

He heard voices from in front of the Alley. He dusted himself off, and made his way forward. He smelled of stagnant water and gin. Great, I probably smell like a bum.

It was then that he realized he wasn't in Springfield any more. The Towering skylines reminded him of New York, but then he saw the Pyramid Tower, the Starbase Coffee Shop, and with a sickening feeling knew that someone was playing some kind of elaborate prank on him. Drew maybe? Nick?

Freedom City wasn't real. And what was that ringing in the back of his head?

"Hello" He called out to the two girls and the guy that was with them.

"I seem to be lost" he checked his cell phone, only to discover that it wasn't getting service. "And my phone isn't working."

"Please, I'm not insane, but I don't think I'm supposed to be here. I was in Springfield Missouri last night, and Now I don't know where I am."

R.J. awoke in an alley.

He had been drinking last night. Which was unusual, Because R.J. doesn't drink. It was someone's birthday? Adam's.

His head was ringing. His vision was tunneling. God, a Migraine, and he smelt awful. This was going to be fun. His hand went to pocket. Thank god. His wallet was fine. He had his money. And He had his Maxalt. He popped the little pill, and put it's container back into his pocket. His friends made fun of him. His migraine medicine looked like it came in a birth-control container.

As long as it kept him from being pregnant with headaches, he could stand the verbal abuse.

Soon enough the headache began to clear, but there was still a ringing in his head. It was new to him. Just what I need,another kind of headache.

He heard voices from in front of the Alley. He dusted himself off, and made his way forward. He smelled of stagnant water and gin. Great, I probably smell like a bum.

It was then that he realized he wasn't in Springfield any more. The Towering skylines reminded him of New York, but then he saw the Pyramid Tower, the Starbase Coffee Shop, and with a sickening feeling knew that someone was playing some kind of elaborate prank on him. Drew maybe? Nick?

"I seem to be lost" he checked his cell phone, only to discover that it wasn't getting service. "And my phone isn't working."

"Please, I'm not insane, but I don't think I'm supposed to be here. I was in Springfield Missouri last night, and Now I don't know where I am."

R.J. awoke in an alley.

Joey takes the chance to fully explore the boardwalk area. 'Wow,' he thinks, "makes Rehoboth boardwalk look like crap. But then, so does just about any boardwalk.' The time and exploring begin to take their toll on him, leading him into the cheapest place he can find. Even if this is a hallucination Joey doesn't want to risk maxing out his debit card. He's not even sure it will work in Freedom City. Plus, maybe getting some food would help alleviate this odd feeling that he could feel people moving along the boardwalk. People who weren't all that close to him. Joey smiles as the hostess says something to him, though he doesn't catch exactly what, seeing as he is only barely paying attention to her. Still, the large, slightly fake, smile tells him all he needs to know. "Yes, hi, table for one please."

Joey takes the chance to fully explore the boardwalk area. 'Wow,' he thinks, "makes Rehoboth boardwalk look like crap. But then, so does just about any boardwalk.' The time and exploring begin to take their toll on him, leading him into the cheapest place he can find. Even if this is a hallucination Joey doesn't want to risk maxing out his debit card. He's not even sure it will work in Freedom City. Plus, maybe getting some food would help alleviate this odd feeling that he could feel people moving along the boardwalk. People who weren't all that close to him. Joey smiles as the hostess says something to him, though he doesn't catch exactly what, seeing as he is only barely paying attention to her. Still, the large, slightly fake, smile tells him all he needs to know. "Yes, hi, table for one please."

seanavatar.jpg

Sean turns to see someone running towards them, he squints, trying to recognise him, but fails. What he does recognise is the individuals feeling - that look of fear and confusion. What he was actually saying didn't hurt either. He accepts that this man is like him much more readily that he thought he might have - perhaps Sean just wanted to believe. In any case, he holds out his hand to be shook, "My name is Sean, I'm lost too. I was at my job in Australia only this morning and now, well..." Sean looks at the buildings once again, "I'm somewhere else." He turns back to the girls, but keeps talking to the new arrival, "And if I'm not mistaken, these girls are lost too."

seanavatar.jpg

Sean turns to see someone running towards them, he squints, trying to recognise him, but fails. What he does recognise is the individuals feeling - that look of fear and confusion. What he was actually saying didn't hurt either. He accepts that this man is like him much more readily that he thought he might have - perhaps Sean just wanted to believe. In any case, he holds out his hand to be shook, "My name is Sean, I'm lost too. I was at my job in Australia only this morning and now, well..." Sean looks at the buildings once again, "I'm somewhere else." He turns back to the girls, but keeps talking to the new arrival, "And if I'm not mistaken, these girls are lost too."

seanavatar.jpg