Stat Yourself [Elseworlds/What If?] [IC]

Heridfel

James looks up as the lights flicker, frowning slightly to himself. It's hard to tell whether it's his eyes going bad or something else - it seems like it's been getting darker around him lately.

When the man offers them a seat, he nods, pulling over a chair from an empty table nearby. To the waitress, he says, "Just water for me, thanks." He waits for her to leave before continuing.

"Safe guess is that they have something. Based on how often Johnny Rocket or Johnny Rotten crosses over to somewhere, they seem to have some level of transportational capabilities. That said, we have no idea what the vibrational frequency of our universe is, or even if it is existing on the same plane. It could... I don't know. It might take magic, but I really don't know much about that. All I know is that comic book magic has fewer rules than comic book science, even," James says.

"And as for stabilizing the timeline, you got me beat. It's not like when I crossed over, there was a sign that said 'Welcome to Freedom City. Your reason for being here is...' " he says, sighing. "It'd've been nice, but no. Still, it could be worse. We could have shown up in Gotham because Superboy Prime punched something again." He half-smiles at his own joke, but given where they are, it looks like he's having a hard time considering it a joke.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James looks up as the lights flicker, frowning slightly to himself. It's hard to tell whether it's his eyes going bad or something else - it seems like it's been getting darker around him lately.

When the man offers them a seat, he nods, pulling over a chair from an empty table nearby. To the waitress, he says, "Just water for me, thanks." He waits for her to leave before continuing.

"Safe guess is that they have something. Based on how often Johnny Rocket or Johnny Rotten crosses over to somewhere, they seem to have some level of transportational capabilities. That said, we have no idea what the vibrational frequency of our universe is, or even if it is existing on the same plane. It could... I don't know. It might take magic, but I really don't know much about that. All I know is that comic book magic has fewer rules than comic book science, even," James says.

"And as for stabilizing the timeline, you got me beat. It's not like when I crossed over, there was a sign that said 'Welcome to Freedom City. Your reason for being here is...' " he says, sighing. "It'd've been nice, but no. Still, it could be worse. We could have shown up in Gotham because Superboy Prime punched something again." He half-smiles at his own joke, but given where they are, it looks like he's having a hard time considering it a joke.

"Thanks," Tony takes a seat and turns to the waitress, "I'll take a large diet and the biggest burger with everything on it...thank you." Tony pulls a chair out and sits down. Sudden fatigue almost overwhelms him. THe past few hours have been harrowing in an unusual way. Looking to both James and Joey, Tony asks,"OK...maybe we should compare what went on when we transfered. Maybe there is a common denominator here....something that happened when we crossed over. By finding that, we may be able to determine if nothing else the cause."

"Thanks," Tony takes a seat and turns to the waitress, "I'll take a large diet and the biggest burger with everything on it...thank you." Tony pulls a chair out and sits down. Sudden fatigue almost overwhelms him. THe past few hours have been harrowing in an unusual way. Looking to both James and Joey, Tony asks,"OK...maybe we should compare what went on when we transfered. Maybe there is a common denominator here....something that happened when we crossed over. By finding that, we may be able to determine if nothing else the cause."

"I was on the Captain Thunder coaster at a Freedom City amusement park near D.C.," James says. "I went in there, and came out here. Here, I have some of the pictures."

He reaches into his coat pocket and pulls out two glossy 5"x7" prints. The first picture has him as he goes down the first large drop. The second picture is at the last quick turn after the darkened building. In the first picture, he is clean-shaven. In the second, he has the goatee he's currently wearing.

"I think it had to have happened somewhere along the ride where I was inside. Everything seemed to look normal outside before I went through the building."

"I was on the Captain Thunder coaster at a Freedom City amusement park near D.C.," James says. "I went in there, and came out here. Here, I have some of the pictures."

He reaches into his coat pocket and pulls out two glossy 5"x7" prints. The first picture has him as he goes down the first large drop. The second picture is at the last quick turn after the darkened building. In the first picture, he is clean-shaven. In the second, he has the goatee he's currently wearing.

"I think it had to have happened somewhere along the ride where I was inside. Everything seemed to look normal outside before I went through the building."

Upon hearing James pronouncement, Joey looks down, closes his eyes and puts his hand over his face. "So what you're telling me is that your not from here either? So when you said you were from ASTRO labs you meant the evil bearded twin you is from ASTRO labs. Great. So I enter a time warp on the New Jersey Turnpike, or some such thing, end up in a comic book and no one seems to know what to do. I think I like my original 'I'm hallucinating' theory better. That was more comforting. So what are you suggesting, that we go to the lab and pray they know what the h%#! is going on?"

Upon hearing James pronouncement, Joey looks down, closes his eyes and puts his hand over his face. "So what you're telling me is that your not from here either? So when you said you were from ASTRO labs you meant the evil bearded twin you is from ASTRO labs. Great. So I enter a time warp on the New Jersey Turnpike, or some such thing, end up in a comic book and no one seems to know what to do. I think I like my original 'I'm hallucinating' theory better. That was more comforting. So what are you suggesting, that we go to the lab and pray they know what the h%#! is going on?"

"Actually, no," he says as he fingers his goatee. "I don't like to think I'm an evil twin. Seriously, I'm going to have to shave this thing off anyway, and it took a few weeks to get this nice. The least you can do is express some sympathy.."

"As for the other part," he starts to say, then cuts himself off. The waitress is back with Tony and Joey's food.

"Here you are, and here's yours," she says. "You sure you don't want anything?" James just nods, and she walks off.

"As for the other part, I'd rather not let on where we're from. Folks from other dimensions usually aren't friendly," he rolls his eyes, "and I have a goatee so I look like my own evil twin. I need a razor."

"Actually, no," he says as he fingers his goatee. "I don't like to think I'm an evil twin. Seriously, I'm going to have to shave this thing off anyway, and it took a few weeks to get this nice. The least you can do is express some sympathy.."

"As for the other part," he starts to say, then cuts himself off. The waitress is back with Tony and Joey's food.

"Here you are, and here's yours," she says. "You sure you don't want anything?" James just nods, and she walks off.

"As for the other part, I'd rather not let on where we're from. Folks from other dimensions usually aren't friendly," he rolls his eyes, "and I have a goatee so I look like my own evil twin. I need a razor."

"I was driving through a near-blizzard condition snowstorm...then I wake up in an alley...without my car..."Tony starts. Before he can finish though, his burger arrives. Suddenly nothing else matters except his hunger. Tony quickly sets about devouring the sandwich, only slowing for a drink or two, all the while listening to the other two talk.

When Joey gets upset at the revelation that James is also a fellow transfree, Tony feels some sympathy. However, Joey seems to be forgeting that comic book world or not, organizations like ASTRO labs will have a better chance at finding out what is going on than just the three of them brainstorming.

Joey's exclaimations are passionate enough to start drawing attention to their table...other patrons look at the three men setting there with a wary eye. Nervous at being in this impossible fantasy to begin with, Tony begins to get worried at all of the attention. Like James said, who knows who will find us....the heroes or the villains. Tony starts to wish that he was somewhere else, that all of those eyes couldn' see him or the others, that they were in the the dark like him and the other two guys here.

And that is when it happened...darkness descended upon the table. Full, Pitch-Black Darkness flowed up and around the trio. For a few seconds, Tony freezes. He can see this utter absence of light and more importantly, he can see THROUGH that ebon field as if it wasn't there....it was very eerie and disturbing. Looking down at his hands, Tony notices a subtle glow of brighter darkness around his hands, an oxy moron if there ever was one. Holding them up before his face, he watches as they pulse with his heartbeat. This was coming from him....this darkness was flowing out of him, enshrouding him and the other two in it's concealing embrace. Flexing his hands, Tony watches as tendrils of darkness flow up and around his hands, looking like it was a thing alive. For the next few heartbeats, Tony is enrapted in this startling discovery.

As the darkness descends, the other patrons in the resturant begin to get even more excited. Many try and duck under their tables, others tried to find the way to the door or other exits.They were clearly expecting something else to follow this darkening. These people were used to such things happening...having unusual and unexpected things happening.

Looking back to Joey and James, Tony trains his emerald glowing eyes upon the two men, "Ummmm....Guys....ummm...I think I just did this...."

"I was driving through a near-blizzard condition snowstorm...then I wake up in an alley...without my car..."Tony starts. Before he can finish though, his burger arrives. Suddenly nothing else matters except his hunger. Tony quickly sets about devouring the sandwich, only slowing for a drink or two, all the while listening to the other two talk.

When Joey gets upset at the revelation that James is also a fellow transfree, Tony feels some sympathy. However, Joey seems to be forgeting that comic book world or not, organizations like ASTRO labs will have a better chance at finding out what is going on than just the three of them brainstorming.

Joey's exclaimations are passionate enough to start drawing attention to their table...other patrons look at the three men setting there with a wary eye. Nervous at being in this impossible fantasy to begin with, Tony begins to get worried at all of the attention. Like James said, who knows who will find us....the heroes or the villains. Tony starts to wish that he was somewhere else, that all of those eyes couldn' see him or the others, that they were in the the dark like him and the other two guys here.

And that is when it happened...darkness descended upon the table. Full, Pitch-Black Darkness flowed up and around the trio. For a few seconds, Tony freezes. He can see this utter absence of light and more importantly, he can see THROUGH that ebon field as if it wasn't there....it was very eerie and disturbing. Looking down at his hands, Tony notices a subtle glow of brighter darkness around his hands, an oxy moron if there ever was one. Holding them up before his face, he watches as they pulse with his heartbeat. This was coming from him....this darkness was flowing out of him, enshrouding him and the other two in it's concealing embrace. Flexing his hands, Tony watches as tendrils of darkness flow up and around his hands, looking like it was a thing alive. For the next few heartbeats, Tony is enrapted in this startling discovery.

As the darkness descends, the other patrons in the resturant begin to get even more excited. Many try and duck under their tables, others tried to find the way to the door or other exits.They were clearly expecting something else to follow this darkening. These people were used to such things happening...having unusual and unexpected things happening.

Looking back to Joey and James, Tony trains his emerald glowing eyes upon the two men, "Ummmm....Guys....ummm...I think I just did this...."

James lets Tony and Joey start eating while he finishes off his water. He frowns. The glass is still half-full of ice, and he's got to wait for it to melt before he can drink it. "You'd think I could remember to ask for no ice, but I never do," he thinks to himself.

Then the world goes pitch-black. Unlike Tony or the rest of the folks in the diner, he doesn't know what's going on, and his first thought, which he just barely avoids saying is, "The Shattenwelt, maybe? We've already had one other dimension touch this one today". He grabs onto the table with one hand, and tries to wave his other hand in front of his face. No use - it's as dark as a cave. He's always liked it when it was really dark, but this could be really dangerous if he's right.

When Tony speaks, James thinks for a moment that it's a good thing that Tony can't see how much his eyes are bugging out.

"Quiet!" he says as carefully as he can, so that Tony definitely hears him and as few others do. In a quieter voice, now that he has Tony's attention, "How... never mind. Can you undo it? This just took a new turn, and we don't need more trouble." Already, his mind is racing a mile a minute, trying to figure out what this means.

James lets Tony and Joey start eating while he finishes off his water. He frowns. The glass is still half-full of ice, and he's got to wait for it to melt before he can drink it. "You'd think I could remember to ask for no ice, but I never do," he thinks to himself.

Then the world goes pitch-black. Unlike Tony or the rest of the folks in the diner, he doesn't know what's going on, and his first thought, which he just barely avoids saying is, "The Shattenwelt, maybe? We've already had one other dimension touch this one today". He grabs onto the table with one hand, and tries to wave his other hand in front of his face. No use - it's as dark as a cave. He's always liked it when it was really dark, but this could be really dangerous if he's right.

When Tony speaks, James thinks for a moment that it's a good thing that Tony can't see how much his eyes are bugging out.

"Quiet!" he says as carefully as he can, so that Tony definitely hears him and as few others do. In a quieter voice, now that he has Tony's attention, "How... never mind. Can you undo it? This just took a new turn, and we don't need more trouble." Already, his mind is racing a mile a minute, trying to figure out what this means.

"I can try...."Tony whispers. Tony places his right hand out in front of him, fingers spread, palm down. OK...this came out of me...maybe I can pull it back in.Tony stares at his hand for a second, then he raises his face and looks out at the darkness. With a deep breath, Tony begins to imagine that the darkness is an extension of himself...like his right hand now extended. At first, nothing happens except that Tony begins to develop a headache and a sudden nosebleed.

"Man...this looks MUCH easier in the comic books. Gotta give it to those guys, they must have some amazing inner strengths...." Tony says as he takes another moment to catch his breath. Grimacing and gritting his teeth Tony tries a different tactic. He begins to imagine the darkness as an extension of himself instead of something he merely creates. This time Tony closes his eyes and leans his head back...calling the darkness back. In doing this, he misses the fact that his hand begins to gather the darkness. Like sable serpents, the darkness begins to recede back into Tony's downturned palm, flowing and coiling about his arm. In less than a minute, what was once shrouded in darkness, is once again brightened by the light of day. The only evidence of the phenomenom is the now deserted resturant and the odd flowing, ebon tendrils that adorn Tony's outstretched hand arm like a living tattoo.

As his breath exhales from his lips, Tony bows his head forward and almost slumps down, stopping his forward momentum by bracing both his arms on the table. Raising his head, Tony looks at James, seeking out his eyes, "Where the hell...did...that...come from? In Tony's voice, you hear a mix of elation...and fear.

"I can try...."Tony whispers. Tony places his right hand out in front of him, fingers spread, palm down. OK...this came out of me...maybe I can pull it back in.Tony stares at his hand for a second, then he raises his face and looks out at the darkness. With a deep breath, Tony begins to imagine that the darkness is an extension of himself...like his right hand now extended. At first, nothing happens except that Tony begins to develop a headache and a sudden nosebleed.

"Man...this looks MUCH easier in the comic books. Gotta give it to those guys, they must have some amazing inner strengths...." Tony says as he takes another moment to catch his breath. Grimacing and gritting his teeth Tony tries a different tactic. He begins to imagine the darkness as an extension of himself instead of something he merely creates. This time Tony closes his eyes and leans his head back...calling the darkness back. In doing this, he misses the fact that his hand begins to gather the darkness. Like sable serpents, the darkness begins to recede back into Tony's downturned palm, flowing and coiling about his arm. In less than a minute, what was once shrouded in darkness, is once again brightened by the light of day. The only evidence of the phenomenom is the now deserted resturant and the odd flowing, ebon tendrils that adorn Tony's outstretched hand arm like a living tattoo.

As his breath exhales from his lips, Tony bows his head forward and almost slumps down, stopping his forward momentum by bracing both his arms on the table. Raising his head, Tony looks at James, seeking out his eyes, "Where the hell...did...that...come from? In Tony's voice, you hear a mix of elation...and fear.

He glances quickly at the others, "Did you just see that?" Without thinking, he reaches forward to the space that he though Lila has disappeared from - of course she was still very much there. He got his second shock in as many seconds when he jabbed Lila's shoulder, "Oh jeese! Sorry - are you still there?"

"Hey!" Lila's seemingly disembodied voice exclamied. "Watch where you're poking me!" She grabbed Bailey's arm tightly. "What is happening to me? I need to sit down."

Lila sat down on the curb and put her head in her hands. She was trying not to panic.

Breath. Deep breaths.

Lila opened her eyes and saw her hands. "Oh?" Slowly she returned to view. She looked up at the others. "Can you see me?"

He glances quickly at the others, "Did you just see that?" Without thinking, he reaches forward to the space that he though Lila has disappeared from - of course she was still very much there. He got his second shock in as many seconds when he jabbed Lila's shoulder, "Oh jeese! Sorry - are you still there?"

"Hey!" Lila's seemingly disembodied voice exclamied. "Watch where you're poking me!" She grabbed Bailey's arm tightly. "What is happening to me? I need to sit down."

Lila sat down on the curb and put her head in her hands. She was trying not to panic.

Breath. Deep breaths.

Lila opened her eyes and saw her hands. "Oh?" Slowly she returned to view. She looked up at the others. "Can you see me?"