Erin hesitated, then shook her head. "No, I'm gonna stay here and work for a few more hours, see if anything shakes loose. Mike might still be up and around, if you don't want to go out alone," she suggested, running a hand through her hair to push it off her face. Alex didn't have to be a psychic to catch the quick stab of lingering discomfort there, but they really had bigger fish to fry at the moment. "Make sure to get some food to soak up all that coffee, or you'll probably regret it later."

• 2 weeks later...

"I will," Alex promised before hesitating at Erin's obvious discomfort over Mike. She twisted the hem of her shirt with delicate fingertips that searched out the loose threads to fray. It was awfully tempting to bring up and get things out in the open, so that they could work past whatever emotional hiccup this was causing for her friend. Alex rather doubted that it was a good time. On the other hand, these things shouldn't be left to fester. Deciding to let the conversation play out and follow Erin's lead, Alex said quietly, "Mike's sitting on top of the memorial to Centurion. He's gone quiet and introspective, so I probably won't disturb him."