Ready to work its way up!

Kevin is caught totally off-guard by Chase's hostility. Honestly, he hadn't had ever planned on coming to the place until he was looking for a place to take Clyst, and his words reflect that.

"Uh. Yeah, actually. He ran into me on the street, and I thought he might want to come here. He had said something about wanting to meet people with powers, but you probably already know that. I mean, he can talk for himself. Or not talk, but think, I guess," Kevin says. He rubs his head and thinks to himself. "Dang it, how do you deal with a guy who might be reading your mind right now? It was bad enough when it was just Clyst, but I know he could do it."

The errant thought pops up, "Especially if he does find out that I do have a crush on Victoria. Crap! Don't think that! Um, elephants playing poker. Like the dogs, only with elephants." As Kevin tries his hardest to not think about something, he ends up having it running in the background all the while, and does look a little strange.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin is caught totally off-guard by Chase's hostility. Honestly, he hadn't had ever planned on coming to the place until he was looking for a place to take Clyst, and his words reflect that.

"Uh. Yeah, actually. He ran into me on the street, and I thought he might want to come here. He had said something about wanting to meet people with powers, but you probably already know that. I mean, he can talk for himself. Or not talk, but think, I guess," Kevin says. He rubs his head and thinks to himself. "Dang it, how do you deal with a guy who might be reading your mind right now? It was bad enough when it was just Clyst, but I know he could do it."

The errant thought pops up, "Especially if he does find out that I do have a crush on Victoria. Crap! Don't think that! Um, elephants playing poker. Like the dogs, only with elephants." As Kevin tries his hardest to not think about something, he ends up having it running in the background all the while, and does look a little strange.

Chase continues to look at Kevin, a single eyebrow raising and giving a very judging look from someone so young. In any case, he seems to soften a bit, shooting a look to his sister before turning back to Clyst. As he does so, Max walks in bodly and spots the the team and Clyst. Ah, there's the little... he trails off after recieving quite a harsh look from Chase. In order to cover the silence, Max turns to Kevin, "Uh, hi. Have we met?"

Chase continues to look at Kevin, a single eyebrow raising and giving a very judging look from someone so young. In any case, he seems to soften a bit, shooting a look to his sister before turning back to Clyst. As he does so, Max walks in bodly and spots the the team and Clyst. Ah, there's the little... he trails off after recieving quite a harsh look from Chase. In order to cover the silence, Max turns to Kevin, "Uh, hi. Have we met?"

"Not yet. I'm Kevin," Kevin says, taking a step over and offering his hand. The two men are the same height and approximately the same build, though Kevin's red hair and blue jeans and flannel contrast with Max's darker hair and jumpsuit. "And yep, this is Clyst. Chase did a better job talking to him than either of us did, apparently."

"Not yet. I'm Kevin," Kevin says, taking a step over and offering his hand. The two men are the same height and approximately the same build, though Kevin's red hair and blue jeans and flannel contrast with Max's darker hair and jumpsuit. "And yep, this is Clyst. Chase did a better job talking to him than either of us did, apparently."

Can I touch you?"

At that very moment, there is a sound a little ways back from Chase - a door sliding open - and suddenly Kevin is standing there with another like him, only this one looks different somehow - more delicate perhaps. It follows Chase's gaze and see's Clyst. It bushes it's hair behind it's ears and speaks, but not in Clyst's mind, "Oh, hey there little guy." Her tone is soft, "You're fascinating!"

Clyst really does not recognize the human patterns of family and relationship, he is still pretty much unaware that there are female and male humans.

So he looks at this newcomer, and keeps the room cold, but lessens the cold till it is just noticeable, and is not enough to harm or make someone uncomfortable.

He thinks about what to say to her and finally decides to ask one of his questions, "Can I touch you?"

Can I touch you?"

At that very moment, there is a sound a little ways back from Chase - a door sliding open - and suddenly Kevin is standing there with another like him, only this one looks different somehow - more delicate perhaps. It follows Chase's gaze and see's Clyst. It bushes it's hair behind it's ears and speaks, but not in Clyst's mind, "Oh, hey there little guy." Her tone is soft, "You're fascinating!"

Clyst really does not recognize the human patterns of family and relationship, he is still pretty much unaware that there are female and male humans.

So he looks at this newcomer, and keeps the room cold, but lessens the cold till it is just noticeable, and is not enough to harm or make someone uncomfortable.

He thinks about what to say to her and finally decides to ask one of his questions, "Can I touch you?"

Tes looks a little taken aback at first - her expression becoming one of question, rather than enthusiasm. She glances as Chase who merely looks at her, eyebrows raised and shrugs. She goes to move forward before she feels Max's hand on her shoulder. She turns to see his worried expression. The close knit family is able to communicate without the need to telepathy or technological device. tes rubs her fingers together before finally looking back to Kevin. She looks him over, thoughtfully, as if judging the situation through what she knows of him, then she turns back to Clyst. She extends her hand toward the creature, "Now, I know you've been able to cause some damage to the building, and we humans are a little more fragile than that. You have nothing to fear from us, show me that we having nothing to fear from you." - her voice is warm and sincere.

Tes looks a little taken aback at first - her expression becoming one of question, rather than enthusiasm. She glances as Chase who merely looks at her, eyebrows raised and shrugs. She goes to move forward before she feels Max's hand on her shoulder. She turns to see his worried expression. The close knit family is able to communicate without the need to telepathy or technological device. tes rubs her fingers together before finally looking back to Kevin. She looks him over, thoughtfully, as if judging the situation through what she knows of him, then she turns back to Clyst. She extends her hand toward the creature, "Now, I know you've been able to cause some damage to the building, and we humans are a little more fragile than that. You have nothing to fear from us, show me that we having nothing to fear from you." - her voice is warm and sincere.

Kevin leaves the family their time. He can't help but feel like an outsider here, and he does his best to fade into the background as they interact with Clyst. The question will be whether Clyst makes the claim that he has powers. He doesn't know what'd they find if they looked him over, but as much as he'd like to know, he'd also not like to reveal himself so... openly.

Kevin leaves the family their time. He can't help but feel like an outsider here, and he does his best to fade into the background as they interact with Clyst. The question will be whether Clyst makes the claim that he has powers. He doesn't know what'd they find if they looked him over, but as much as he'd like to know, he'd also not like to reveal himself so... openly.

• 3 weeks later...

For a time (a good amount of time, it seems), Kevin stands by himself as the family busy about Clyst. The old gent that Kevin had seen before also makes his way into the room eventually, striding bast Kevin as if he wasn't even there. After a while, the whole scene gets a little boring. Kevin finds solace in a rather cool poster of 'Science Dog', a comic book character who's part science, part dog and all hero. So engrossed is he that he doesn't realise that Tesla Atom is standing right next to him, "You can't go anywhere, you know?"

For a time (a good amount of time, it seems), Kevin stands by himself as the family busy about Clyst. The old gent that Kevin had seen before also makes his way into the room eventually, striding bast Kevin as if he wasn't even there. After a while, the whole scene gets a little boring. Kevin finds solace in a rather cool poster of 'Science Dog', a comic book character who's part science, part dog and all hero. So engrossed is he that he doesn't realise that Tesla Atom is standing right next to him, "You can't go anywhere, you know?"

"What do you mean? I wasn't doing anything," Kevin says. He misheard her as she shook him out of his reverie, thinking she said "We can't take you anywhere," like he was misbehaving. "I was just standing here quietly so your younger brother doesn't chew me out for doing something dumb. I figured I was safe as long as I didn't touch anything."

He glances over to Clyst, who's still being looked over. "So you haven't seen anything like him before?"

"What do you mean? I wasn't doing anything," Kevin says. He misheard her as she shook him out of his reverie, thinking she said "We can't take you anywhere," like he was misbehaving. "I was just standing here quietly so your younger brother doesn't chew me out for doing something dumb. I figured I was safe as long as I didn't touch anything."

He glances over to Clyst, who's still being looked over. "So you haven't seen anything like him before?"

Tesla raises an eyebrow is a gesture of, ok, chill... but she continues to smile.

"So you haven't seen anything like him before?"

She shrugs a little, "I'm not sure - we'll find out I guess. We've seen a lot of things. Enough to know you never really know what you're looking at until you've studied it." Her eyes narrow on Kevin, "Speaking of, I need you to accompany me back to the lab." Though her words are demanding, her tone is light. She directs Kevin toward the door with a little grin, "Well?"

Tesla raises an eyebrow is a gesture of, ok, chill... but she continues to smile.

"So you haven't seen anything like him before?"

She shrugs a little, "I'm not sure - we'll find out I guess. We've seen a lot of things. Enough to know you never really know what you're looking at until you've studied it." Her eyes narrow on Kevin, "Speaking of, I need you to accompany me back to the lab." Though her words are demanding, her tone is light. She directs Kevin toward the door with a little grin, "Well?"

He lowers his voice as he walks towards her. "Do you think there's a problem?" he asks. "What do you need to do there?"

Even though his words could be interpreted innocently, there's an undercurrent of nervousness. Tesla is probably more likely to interpret it as fear that Clyst has somehow affected Kevin unless she's making an effort to figure out the real source, and even then, it wouldn't explain Kevin's precise fear - that he'd be found out to be more than he appeared, just as she had said. He doesn't want to appear to be resisting, so he's following her for now.

He lowers his voice as he walks towards her. "Do you think there's a problem?" he asks. "What do you need to do there?"

Even though his words could be interpreted innocently, there's an undercurrent of nervousness. Tesla is probably more likely to interpret it as fear that Clyst has somehow affected Kevin unless she's making an effort to figure out the real source, and even then, it wouldn't explain Kevin's precise fear - that he'd be found out to be more than he appeared, just as she had said. He doesn't want to appear to be resisting, so he's following her for now.

Tesla walks with Kevin back toward the lab, "Don't worry, it's nothing serious. It's just probably better for everyone if we check you out. We don't know anything about this Clyst. It's possible, even if he didn't mean to, that he may have affected your physiology somehow. All the Atom members and the guys downstair will get tested. Don't worry..." she shoots a smile to Kevin before opening the door to the lab, "...I won't bite."

Tesla walks with Kevin back toward the lab, "Don't worry, it's nothing serious. It's just probably better for everyone if we check you out. We don't know anything about this Clyst. It's possible, even if he didn't mean to, that he may have affected your physiology somehow. All the Atom members and the guys downstair will get tested. Don't worry..." she shoots a smile to Kevin before opening the door to the lab, "...I won't bite."

"It's not the bites I'm worried about. It's the radiation," Kevin mutters to himself. His face wrinkles at the thought of what Tesla could do to a guy if she got really angry at him. "Chase must be crazy if he thought I was crushing on her," he thinks to himself.

Despite his trepidation at being experimented upon, he can't help but get a bit of childish glee as he walks through the building. This is an honest-to-goodness superhero headquarters, and he's getting an (unintentional) tour of the place as they go to whatever experiment room they are heading to. The only place that would be even higher profile would be the Freedom League's digs, but no one'd even believe him if he said that he got to go there. In the end, his mood is steadily improving until they get to the door to the room, when it all comes crashing down again.

"It's not the bites I'm worried about. It's the radiation," Kevin mutters to himself. His face wrinkles at the thought of what Tesla could do to a guy if she got really angry at him. "Chase must be crazy if he thought I was crushing on her," he thinks to himself.

Despite his trepidation at being experimented upon, he can't help but get a bit of childish glee as he walks through the building. This is an honest-to-goodness superhero headquarters, and he's getting an (unintentional) tour of the place as they go to whatever experiment room they are heading to. The only place that would be even higher profile would be the Freedom League's digs, but no one'd even believe him if he said that he got to go there. In the end, his mood is steadily improving until they get to the door to the room, when it all comes crashing down again.

Tesla leads Kevin into the lab. She moves over to a large machine and begins fiddling with dials and switches. As if she had some way of knowing what Kevin was thinking, "Pretty exciting day for you, huh? Meeting the Atoms and all that?" There's a certain amount of irony in her voice, as if she doesn't really believe what she's saying.

After a few more switches, a machine nearby opens revealing an open space. It's a black interior with green lines crisscrossing it - like something out of Tron. She indicates the interior of the machine, "If you would be so kind..."